Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Macichne Leainig posted:

I would honestly take it apart and make sure nothing is too fucky with the D-pad itself first

I can't remember if it has a membrane or not, I think I'm inclined to say no because of the clickier response

There are 2 versions, some models have a membrane d-pad, some have microswitches. I think the 3+ has a membrane by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

njsykora posted:

There are 2 versions, some models have a membrane d-pad, some have microswitches. I think the 3+ has a membrane by default.

I couldn't remember if that was the ABXY buttons or not. Who knows, I don't think Retroid even does most of the time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think they did both, hence why the Pocket's come with so many alternate replacement boards.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Going in the dark here, but it seems to be very much a software/update issue. I’m not a purist and I’m fine with the joystick. Guess I’ll reset the whole thing when I get to it, it’s just not that easy apparently.

Also, I hate it how Google is completely useless, reddit is drowned by cretin posters and the only place to get tech support is loving discord.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Decided to pick up a steam deck on this sale, looks like the ROG has a lot of issues so going with the safe bet

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Does anyone have a powkiddy a30 they want to get rid of reasonably? I see they are $40 on AliExpress but that makes me think I should drop another $20 and get a miyoo mini plus or anbernic rg35xx if I’m paying a new price. Basically for nes, maybe Genesis and snes / gba.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What the heck, the Android version of the FFVI remaster doesn't have controller support?

Does anyone know if the Switch version runs on an RP3+ with Skyline?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tiny Timbs posted:

What the heck, the Android version of the FFVI remaster doesn't have controller support?

Oh that would rule. I hope it does.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah inexplicably none of the Android FF pixel remasters support a controller. It’s dumb as hell

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah inexplicably none of the Android FF pixel remasters support a controller. It’s dumb as hell

preventative measure to counter the lost sales from all those illegal vita ports

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

Oh that would rule. I hope it does.

I tested Skyline and Yuzu. The game starts to run fine on Skyline but crashes. In Yuzu, it crashes more immediately. Oh well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A whole bunch of Android games don't support controllers, even if their iOS counterpart does. Genshin Impact is the canonical example so it's probably something to do with how Android handles controllers that makes it more trouble than it's worth.

On an RP3+ though couldn't you use its control mapping functions to get around that? That's why it's there after all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

A whole bunch of Android games don't support controllers, even if their iOS counterpart does. Genshin Impact is the canonical example so it's probably something to do with how Android handles controllers that makes it more trouble than it's worth.

On an RP3+ though couldn't you use its control mapping functions to get around that? That's why it's there after all.

you can map touch functions/locations to buttons? that's cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

You can yeah. I haven’t tried it but supposedly it works pretty well for stuff like COD mobile

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

Yeah but I’m not gonna play with a bigass button overlay

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, that's how you play Genshin with phone controllers, they all come with their own screen/button mapping apps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Genshin Impact is the canonical example so it's probably something to do with how Android handles controllers that makes it more trouble than it's worth.

This is the weirdest one because it’s like one of the biggest mobile games in the world.

It’s also weird that their newest game also doesn’t have controller support even on iOS when it’s there on PC.

I dunno what’s up with that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I assume a combination of laziness and spite

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Unity's new input mapper is meant to take care of that kinda crap but I have no idea if Mihoyo are using it or the old one still

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They probably also have data showing that something like 2% of players are using a controller and it's not worth the time. Anyone who wants to use a controller is just playing on PC or waiting for the PS5 version.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Way fewer players would have used a controller on iPhone because iOS really does have hosed up controller support, so if they were basing their decisions on that then lol owned

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Aren't console emulators not allowed in Apple store? Have Tim Cook fixed it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lol no, people use developer accounts to sideload emulators onto Apple devices which is why we know performance but you're not going to see emulation on iThings until alternate app stores are a thing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

stephenthinkpad posted:

Aren't console emulators not allowed in Apple store? Have Tim Cook fixed it?

https://wiki.provenance-emu.com/faqs#jailbreak

Build it yourself :)

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Anybody here have an Ayaneo handheld like the air or Ayaneo 2 that can tell me what the abxy buttons feel like? I'm a big fan of how the Switch Lites buttons feel, and I have a Ayn Odin that face buttons I can't stand.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unity's new input mapper is meant to take care of that kinda crap but I have no idea if Mihoyo are using it or the old one still

Did the new version also fix Unity games' massive memory leak issues and save game troubles?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ZombieIsland posted:

Anybody here have an Ayaneo handheld like the air or Ayaneo 2 that can tell me what the abxy buttons feel like? I'm a big fan of how the Switch Lites buttons feel, and I have a Ayn Odin that face buttons I can't stand.

I have an Ayaneo Air Pro, but I don't have a Switch Lite or a Ayn Odin so I'm not sure how to compare them. I can say they are small and clicky, like the size of a rg353 handheld's buttons despite the device being larger, but they bounce back much harder, and do not feel mushy at all. I could wish they were a little bit bigger, but otherwise I have no problem with how they feel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

evilmiera posted:

Did the new version also fix Unity games' massive memory leak issues and save game troubles?

People have to write their own save and load/serialization stuff, last I checked unity doesn't have a baseline one. Memory leaks..I can't remember the last time a game memory leaked much at all, so I couldn't tell you but it's garbage collector has never been amazing (though the same is true of unreal)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I couldn't fight the compulsion and ended up getting a miyoo mini plus for $53.
But I kind of feel like I should have got the RG35xx instead...

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

otter posted:

I couldn't fight the compulsion and ended up getting a miyoo mini plus for $53.
But I kind of feel like I should have got the RG35xx instead...

Wait really.. How come? I've been thinking of getting a miyoo mini plus for a while.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Wait really.. How come? I've been thinking of getting a miyoo mini plus for a while.

Mainly reviews about the back buttons being better (which is subjective, sure) and one I saw in which the screen of the miyoo was popping out of the device, which may very well be a one-off issue.
I'm sure it will be fine. it was the wifi that swayed me.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

otter posted:

Mainly reviews about the back buttons being better (which is subjective, sure) and one I saw in which the screen of the miyoo was popping out of the device, which may very well be a one-off issue.

Ah got it, definitely gonna check those things out. Thanks

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fwiw I have both and I prefer the MM+. Once you put Onion/Garlic on them they're practically the same, the one noticeable difference being the 35xx not having wifi.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

otter posted:

If it helps, you can get aftermarket rear buttons for the MM+ on Etsy. The screen popping issue I thought was a launch thing. Might be fixed at this point but stock is all over so who knows.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i know this isn't quite a "console" question, but i got a FXPAK Pro from Krikzz recently and it owns, but i'm having one issue. Mario Kart specifically seems ot not work - it shows the "Nintendo" boot screen and plays the little coin jingle, and then never loads past that. i've checked other weird chip games like Star Fox, Mario RPG, and Mega Man X3 and they all seem to work fine. obviously I haven't explored the entire catalogue to see if other games have this issue but after checking around 25 games it was the only problematic one. the store page says it supports its chip (DSP-1/1B). any ideas? i'm playing on a super NT in case that would matter.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
According to this Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/everdrive/comments/vf7hut/super_mario_kart_issue_on_fxpak_pro/

You may need some .bin files.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
makes sense, thank you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Holy poo poo It's A New Stupid Piece Of poo poo That Doesn't loving Work From Blaze!

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/07/hypermega-techs-super-pocket-is-a-game-boy-style-handheld-which-plays-evercade-carts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s8MWrY-zJc

https://www.hypermegatech.com/super-pockets/super-pocket-taito-edition
https://www.hypermegatech.com/super-pockets/super-pocket-capcom-edition

With the 4 face and 4 rear buttons it seems they've been taking cues from the most popular handhelds right now (Miyoo Mini/Plus, RG35XX), and while none of the arcade games on these things will ever use that many buttons it seems Blaze is expecting these to get hacked to run non-authorized games people to buy their Evercade carts and play them on these.

Also who knows how good the screen is (they're claiming IPS and 320x240 resolution), but at least the price is pretty low ($59?) and like other Blaze products it will have some distribution to actual physical stores near you in time for the holidays.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 12, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That d pad is violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That d pad is violence.

That d pad looks like some bullshit I’m supposed to put a friction fit joystick onto so that the coupled pair can snap in a unique and difficult to repair way.