Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If things turn out to be not as they first appeared that picture, and people who've posted it, start to look a bit poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The sun getting sued should happen after every piece of "journalism" they post.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m sure at this point the Sun is basically a loss leader for murdoc to protect his other more valuable bits of his empire

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

i’m sure at this point the Sun is basically a loss leader for murdoc to protect his other more valuable bits of his empire

It is. We were talking about this months ago, and one of us showed they were not making any money whatsoever since maybe 2015.
It doesn't take much to keep it going, they earn so much elsewhere.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
can such lawsuits force papers to do front page apologies

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

can such lawsuits force papers to do front page apologies

They can.

The paper will coincidentally run a full page ad with a fake cover on such occasions.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ro5s posted:

I’d like to see the gutter press wriggle out of this one!

alas they managed to wriggle out of this one

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

It doesn't take much to keep it going, they earn so much elsewhere.

Approximately how many Prince Harry's can they compensate per year before going into the red?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

xtothez posted:

Approximately how many Prince Harry's can they compensate per year before going into the red?

TOTHEGOOGLEMACHINES!

https://pressgazette.co.uk/media_business/times-sun-2022-accounts-revenues-talktv/

quote:

The Sun more than doubled its pre-tax losses to £127.2m last year – but News UK stablemates The Times and Sunday Times boosted profits by 115% to £73.2m.

But good news:

quote:

After more than 1,000 claims have gone through the courts, the High Court heard in March last year there were at that time 52 claims registered against NGN, with a further 436 claims at the pre-action letter stage and 82 more claims “in the pipeline”

So more money to be lost.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
feel like

quote:

Rupert Murdoch’s Fox Corporation has indemnified the legal costs around these cases from 2013, meaning they are reimbursed to the UK business.

is fairly fuckin important given fox is worth like 20bn dollars lol

like a rich dad always bailing out his failson's speeding tickets and other felonies

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 10, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see Peter Hitchens is talking utter bollocks again, thus confirming the forward flow of time.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1678433313575383047

Sunak and Starmer both want secret Portugal-style end to the war on drugs but they're not telling anyone because it's secret. Anyway Portugal has failed, here's a terrible article that I only read the headline of.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quote:

there are year-long waits for state-funded rehabilitation treatment even as the number of people seeking help has fallen dramatically

Hmmm. Could there be any connection there? Impossible to know!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

>> Missing the Mark <<
Taken over the Cliff

The self-styled scourge of the celebrity sex-pest, Mark Williams-Thomas popped up in the press this weekend to give his two cents on the BBC presenter scandal.

He was demanding that the BBC identify the suspect publicly, but he of all people should know why they aren't. The last time the BBC rushed to name a suspect in a case like this – and the individual in question turned out to be totally innocent – they opened up an absolute world of pain for themselves.

And on whose dogshit information were they acting in the Cliff Richard case? Why, none other than policeman-turned-pundit... Mark Williams-Thomas's!

From Popbitch which explains why The BBC is being so coy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Worth a watch - 6.5 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURKIUrDcwk

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

More dogshit bollocks from the Party of Idiots

https://twitter.com/guardiantech/status/1678518969521831936?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No wait though, it might just work

AI :dong: Please Ignore posted:

I am writing to apply for a position in the esteemed cabinet of the Right Honourable Margaret Thatcher. As a dedicated public servant with a passion for political leadership and a firm commitment to promoting progressive change, I believe my skills and experience align perfectly with the goals and vision of your government.

I am deeply impressed by the transformative reforms and policies that the Thatcher administration has set in motion, and I am eager to contribute my expertise to advance the nation's prosperity and address the pressing challenges we face. With an unwavering dedication to public service and a profound understanding of the intricacies of governance, I am confident that I can make a valuable and lasting impact as a member of your team.

Throughout my career, I have honed my skills in strategic thinking, policy development, and effective communication. As the Director of Public Prosecutions and a prominent barrister, I have gained extensive experience in navigating complex legal landscapes and ensuring fair and just outcomes. I have worked tirelessly to uphold the principles of justice, accountability, and transparency, traits that I believe are crucial in any government's decision-making process.

Moreover, my time as a Member of Parliament has provided me with a deep understanding of the needs and concerns of the British people. I have actively engaged with diverse communities, listening to their voices, and striving to find practical solutions to the challenges they face. I firmly believe that policymaking should be rooted in the experiences and aspirations of ordinary citizens, and I am committed to representing their interests to the best of my abilities.

Furthermore, I possess exceptional leadership and managerial skills, having led teams of professionals in both legal and political environments. I have demonstrated the ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive work culture, encouraging open dialogue and leveraging the collective expertise of my colleagues to achieve shared goals. I thrive in high-pressure environments and remain calm and composed in the face of adversity.

By joining your esteemed cabinet, I seek to contribute my knowledge and skills to drive a bold agenda of economic revitalization, social progress, and effective governance. I am prepared to work diligently, devoting my energy and intellect to achieve the transformative changes that our country needs.

Thank you for considering my application. I eagerly await the opportunity to discuss how I can contribute to your government's vision during an interview. Please find attached my detailed resume for your review. I am confident that my qualifications make me a strong candidate for a role in the Thatcher administration.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/tim_brannigan/status/1678487503081205780

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Not to sound like I'm in the Sun's corner which gently caress no.

But there was talk of large sums of money being handed over in what sounded very much like 'Could be blackmail' amounts.

Now that the Police are involved them now saying "No, no it's fine! I don't know what my mothers talking about" would have strong incentive to do so in such a case.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

He's aware that his wife would never get another job again, if an AI was in charge (rather than him) isn't he?
Seeing as she's been publicly outed as a racist misogynist, no AI that would stand up to the vaguest legal scrutiny would suggest her as a candidate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deptfordx posted:

Not to sound like I'm in the Sun's corner which gently caress no.

But there was talk of large sums of money being handed over in what sounded very much like 'Could be blackmail' amounts.

Now that the Police are involved them now saying "No, no it's fine! I don't know what my mothers talking about" would have strong incentive to do so in such a case.
Yeah, it's very possible that both the accused is a bit of a creep and the newspaper that had to melt down zinc plates of naked 16 year olds in front of multiple witnesses is not acting in the best of faith.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Deeply upset that the thread title is not “Huw Jarse”. Let’s have some standards, come on.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Rather have 'I like Huws butt and I cannot lie you other brothers can't deny'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Deeply upset that the thread title is not “Huw Jarse”. Let’s have some standards, come on.

https://twitter.com/RhunWords/status/1678153527246614528

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Getting very confused now with this BBC presenter thing.

I'm seeing tweets saying the 'victim' (depending whether you believe the parents or the lawyer or the Scum) is female (which is the impression I've had so far) others that it is a 'boy'.

Or are there two separate ones going on at the same time?

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of Soap.

:corsair: anyone else remember that show?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

But then you'd just get into "do grass and arse rhyme, and if so how?" chat.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Daily Mail’s headline is “ONE-IN-SIX PEOPLE KNOW WHO SCANDAL-HIT BBC STAR IS”. They must have spent ages brainstorming a way to say “yes it’s Huw Edwards” without getting in trouble.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guavanaut posted:

I see Peter Hitchens is talking utter bollocks again, thus confirming the forward flow of time.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1678433313575383047

Sunak and Starmer both want secret Portugal-style end to the war on drugs but they're not telling anyone because it's secret. Anyway Portugal has failed, here's a terrible article that I only read the headline of.

"far from conservative" is also not entirely an accurate take on wapo even by the standards of reductionist descriptions

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

"far from conservative" is also not entirely an accurate take on wapo even by the standards of reductionist descriptions
Going by the most non culturally-bound definition of "conservative," WaPo is as conservative as it gets. It exists to maintain the status quo, to the point of being owned by one of the richest people in the world.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

wtf in what southern accent do pour and poor sound the same?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

wtf in what southern accent do pour and poor sound the same?

Quite. Most of the rest I accept as being generally true, but if anything I would have thought pour and poor sounding the same would be the other way round. I can imagine someone with a Scots accent for example saying poo-uhrrrrrrrrr for both.

Pour sounds like pore (as in skin) and poor sounds like poo-uh in my southern experience.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
u lot talk funnie

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Poor and pour are the same sound in my accent. I'm London-adjacent.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Poor-pour is part of the Cure-North merger, which is a class of mergers which has a lot of conditions. I think that map is mostly accurate for areas of the UK with the C-N merger, but some of the pairs are only homophones if you also have a non-rhotic accent, and others only if you have the horse-hoarse merger too. Theoretically, if you’ve got horse-horse and a non-rhotic accent, you should have the full pour-poor-paw triple. But there’s always exceptions, down to even individual idiolects.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Getting very confused now with this BBC presenter thing.

I'm seeing tweets saying the 'victim' (depending whether you believe the parents or the lawyer or the Scum) is female (which is the impression I've had so far) others that it is a 'boy'.

Or are there two separate ones going on at the same time?

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of Soap.

:corsair: anyone else remember that show?

I think perhaps the young person uses one set of pronouns and their mother is an enormous bigot who would rather shop a story to the sun than speak to her own child.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know that poor and pour sound identical in Received Pronunciation (source: me, guillotine waiting list ticket holder), and I think that's an accent more heavily concentrated around the south?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

This quiz can get shockingly accurate at pinning down where you grew up, especially if you keep answering optional questions at the end.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

Honestly as someone who grew up in Swansea I am getting very pissed off and how wrong this is.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

This quiz can get shockingly accurate at pinning down where you grew up, especially if you keep answering optional questions at the end.

I'm loving impressed. I thought I'd try it despite:

1. Moving from Yorkshire to Cumbria aged 11.
2. My mother constantly correcting any accent I picked up to RP.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Apparently calling a wood louse a pea bug is something only people from north-west Kent do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Apologies if this has been alredy been posted but here's Chris Hedges and Asa Winstanleys interview about how Corbyn was smeared and targeted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBFcS3x0YSs