Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Google says move hidden sea loot higher in your mod list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... hey uh, "alphabetically" is the. Wrong order for my mods to be sorted in in the load order right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zereth posted:

... hey uh, "alphabetically" is the. Wrong order for my mods to be sorted in in the load order right?

yeah

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

how in the gently caress did that happen :psydwarf:

okay back to my question about "is there a way to pull the load order specifically out of a wabbajack thing without having to redownload everything and nuke my settings which I assume I are spread all over the individual mods rather than in one convenient place"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zereth posted:

how in the gently caress did that happen :psydwarf:

okay back to my question about "is there a way to pull the load order specifically out of a wabbajack thing without having to redownload everything and nuke my settings which I assume I are spread all over the individual mods rather than in one convenient place"

yeah download mlox and it should auto-order for you
https://github.com/rfuzzo/mlox/releases/tag/1.1.5

are you sure you didnt just click the name field, is it actually sorted alphabetically lol

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/07/morrowind-modern-game-engine-openmw/

Seems like we're getting OpenMW 0.48 pretty soon, last stable release was 2 years ago

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mbt posted:

yeah download mlox and it should auto-order for you
https://github.com/rfuzzo/mlox/releases/tag/1.1.5

are you sure you didnt just click the name field, is it actually sorted alphabetically lol
Yeah it's got morrowind.esm at the top and there's a mark on the "Priority" tab

The wabbajack download appears to have mlox already so, well. Here's hoping

EDIT: Okay yeah it loaded seemingly fine now, thanks

Zereth fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 4, 2023

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zereth posted:

Yeah it's got morrowind.esm at the top and there's a mark on the "Priority" tab

The wabbajack download appears to have mlox already so, well. Here's hoping

oh running mlox after a wabbajack install is supposed to be part of it. maybe it didnt trigger for you (or you didnt read the friggin manual!!!)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm getting the itch to play Morrowind again now. Last install I did OpenMW wasn't advised because of MWSELua.

Is OpenMW the better option now for an install? I like my graphics mods.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mbt posted:

oh running mlox after a wabbajack install is supposed to be part of it. maybe it didnt trigger for you (or you didnt read the friggin manual!!!)
I played for 57 hours before this problem suddenly cropped up!

The install instructions for the modpack do leave something to be desired, it didn't mention the Code Patch for one despite downloading it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I don’t think OpenMW supports MWSE mods yet, but I did a full play through last year with a ton of vanilla+ style mods and it was great. I wouldn’t let the lack of MWSE hold you back.

edit: I was looking around and found some more info. They are not going to support MWSE - it appears ever - "can not be supported due to low level differences in the engine." But there is a Lua scripting system they are integrating into 0.48.0.

main 0.48.0 thread: https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?t=7486&sid=46355f30cac557c69013cafa1b53b05b

Lua scripting info:
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7149 - good explanation of the options they considered
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?p=71169#p71169 - current status
https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/lua-scripting/index.html
https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/5996

hannibal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 5, 2023

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

hannibal posted:

I don’t think OpenMW supports MWSE mods yet, but I did a full play through last year with a ton of vanilla+ style mods and it was great. I wouldn’t let the lack of MWSE hold you back.

edit: I was looking around and found some more info. They are not going to support MWSE - it appears ever - "can not be supported due to low level differences in the engine." But there is a Lua scripting system they are integrating into 0.48.0.

main 0.48.0 thread: https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?t=7486&sid=46355f30cac557c69013cafa1b53b05b

Lua scripting info:
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7149 - good explanation of the options they considered
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?p=71169#p71169 - current status
https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/lua-scripting/index.html
https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/5996

now all we need is a janky third party abstraction layer over both lua APIs

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I've been playing openmw and not missing mwse at all.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you cant miss mwse if youve never gone jacked to the tits on an ashfall install

the story of mwse / openmw is pretty funny, the mwse dev approached the openmw years ago and suggested a path to easily integrate lua functions and the openmw devs shot him down and said being able to run lua functions is *dangerous to the user* because of no sandboxing. so the guy went and forked old mwse into a lua branch.

linux weirdos own, they love shooting themselves in the foot constantly

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Hey so I picked this up on GOG a while back but never got around to installing it. Got the itch to play this after not having played it since way back on the original xbox and really wanna go again. Was curious if anybody had a good/recommended mod list or guide to go off since I now have the option to mod this into modernish standards.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

Hey so I picked this up on GOG a while back but never got around to installing it. Got the itch to play this after not having played it since way back on the original xbox and really wanna go again. Was curious if anybody had a good/recommended mod list or guide to go off since I now have the option to mod this into modernish standards.

If you don't plan on going balls to the wall modding get OpenMW openmw.org it's a rebuilt engine that is more stable has better performance

Get these AI upscaled textures
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46221

And Tamriel Rebuilt
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/

This is a good place to start with plenty of content, especially if you haven't played in a long time.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I found TR's page for recommended mods very helpful: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/recommended-mods

I just run most of those - basically vanilla expanded on openmw with distant land and grass is all I need.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bumper Stickup posted:

When I did my last playthrough (you can check my posts in this thread for some comments) I used what was then called the Morrowind STEP guide and OpenMW. It's been renamed apparently:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Morrowind_graphics_guide

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

You need Muffinwind, a lore-friendly and immersive experience that many have called the unofficial third expansion pack.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You need Muffinwind, a lore-friendly and immersive experience that many have called the unofficial third expansion pack.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao this mod rules. Def want this and Tamriel Rebuilt.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Well I broke something trying to install Tamriel Rebuilt+Openmw. Made sure I verified bsa's but got a ctd shortly after a bunch of "master esm not found" type messages popped up so I suppose I'll just follow a guide next time I can sit down with it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Every once in a while I decide to check out the Combat page of UESP, and I usually learn something new or remember something. It took me many years to understand that the different "ranges" of weapons are not actually ranges but dual damage numbers. A few years later I learned that skills only affect chance to hit while Strength affect damage. The other day I learned that the condition of weapons also influence the damage you do.

I don't know if it's a testament to the design that I've never known about this but also never been frustrated by it, or if it's simply the overall low difficulty. It's probably the latter.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

Well I broke something trying to install Tamriel Rebuilt+Openmw. Made sure I verified bsa's but got a ctd shortly after a bunch of "master esm not found" type messages popped up so I suppose I'll just follow a guide next time I can sit down with it.

You're forgetting something basic with openmw like 'put your files in order'

You don't need a guide

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah informing people that the 1-20 or whatever on a weapon isn't RNG but the damage range for how long you hold the attack usually blows their minds a tiny bit.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah informing people that the 1-20 or whatever on a weapon isn't RNG but the damage range for how long you hold the attack usually blows their minds a tiny bit.

:aaa:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's why crossbows do flat damage and bows don't, which is a nice touch lol

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

It took me about a decade to realize this. Funny enough, that was about a decade ago

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I knew that from the start but Morrowind is one of my Special Interests and I had the entire rulesbook memorized because I took it with me to school to read during lunchbreaks and spent all my time on the early TES forums.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I was redecorating the Factor's estate on Solstheim with the excellent Furniture Catalogue mod when I realized that I couldn't sleep in any mod-added beds or bedrolls. I got the normal "sleeping is illegal here" message; only the default bed could be slept in. Does anyone know of a console command or simple solution that will allow me to make a bed sleepable? It would be a pity to have put so much effort into the place and not even be able to rest there.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52500?tab=description

This mod adds the setownership command from Oblivion and Skyrim into the console. You could try and see if that works.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

kazr posted:

It took me about a decade to realize this. Funny enough, that was about a decade ago

yeah I absolutely didn't know about it for a while and when I found out, a lot of stuff made a lot more sense. I was even modding for a while before-hand so I was putting in a bunch of bullshit numbers I didn't even understand lol

It makes the Chop/Slash/Stab dynamic make a lot more sense too, which is nice because I don't like using "always use best attack".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I guess we can also re-mention the fact that fatigue affects lots of poo poo you wouldn't expect in a computer game, such as lockpicking and mercantile

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah a very large portion of the morrowind combat stereotype of "swing 100 times, miss 95 of them" is largely due to players running and jumping around before combat so their fatigue is low + using weapons their character isn't skilled in like the starter knife

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah I absolutely didn't know about it for a while and when I found out, a lot of stuff made a lot more sense. I was even modding for a while before-hand so I was putting in a bunch of bullshit numbers I didn't even understand lol

It makes the Chop/Slash/Stab dynamic make a lot more sense too, which is nice because I don't like using "always use best attack".

It really doesn't. Most weapons don't have any actual thought put into them.

If Morrowind was a GOOD system, it would have, say, tradeoffs. Your thrust does 10-20, a reliable move for quick attacks. Your chop does 1-30, your go-to for longer held swings. Your slash does 5-15 but charges more quickly, say.

Instead most weapons are like,

Chitin War Axe: 1−11, 1−6, 1−2
Dwarven Battle Axe: 1−35 ,1−, 1−15
Iron Wakizashi: 7−12, 5−10, 1−5
Glass Dagger: 6−15, 6−15, 6−12
Daedric Katana: 3−44, 1−40, 1−14
Dwarven Claymore: 1−33, 1−29, 1−20

Among the outliers are things like:

Daedric Shortsword: 10−26, 10−26, 12−24
Steel Wakizashi: 8−11, 7−12, 2−7

Where the deviance is by 1. Like, yes, the chop is stronger on a fast hit with the Steel Wakizashi, and the slash is stronger on the charge attack--by two damage points. It's nothing.

Even if this were fixed, the NPCs wouldn't take intelligent advantage of it, and you would still probably be best served just using the move with the maximum damage range each swing.

The values in vanilla are assigned almost arbitrarily. In making MDMD it became VERY clear Bethesda had no idea how to balance the game at ALL. It's why most wizards have autocomplete spelllists (or even BESPOKE spellists) with spells like... Burden! Weakness to Fire (no fire spells)! Weakness to Common Disease! Drain Health 3 points (half of Beth's design team HONESTLY thought Drain Health worked like Damage Health. There are lots of spells and enchanted items where Drain Health has no duration (worthless) or a very low value and a long duration. They just straight up did NOT know how their own loving SYSTEM worked.)

Also, to-hit is a calculation of Agility+Weaponskill (and fatigue and luck) vs Agility (and fatigue and luck). If the hit occurs, damage is applied based on the damage stat of the weapon for how long it was held + strength.

This means that at level 60 of any weapon skill, against most opponents, you are going to hit the majority of the times you attack. Using the best weapon, with the best attack move, you will always deal maximum damage every second or so. THAT means that once you are at weapon level 60 with any weapon, your ability in a fight is limited only by your OWN armor and dodge, your strength to a degree, and the weapon you use.

Get a decent weapon early on, start with a weapon skill of 50, and that's it. You're good. The only thing you need to fear are opponents with BIG weapons, because if they hit ONCE you're still hosed. That bosmer in the caves outside Pelagiad with the dwemer battleaxe will just do a flat 30+ damage like, 60% of her swings, possibly with stagger. The only weapons worth using, ever, are big, heavy weapons with a huge max damage, or daggers with fast speed and high base attack for the fast damage interrupt chance.

Combat in morrowind is So bad and rebalancing this game was such a loving chore and I did what I could but honestly the entire system needs a ground-up rework. The bell curve of difficulty is so fucky. Magic is more balanced in its cost-->success ratio wrt damage, but too many things have reflect and without mods optimal magic strat is always the most magic damage you can do. Mods that make things like Drain Attribute way way WAY cheaper are a lot of fun because it actually gives you things you can do strategically--waste a combat beat knocking enemy strength by 30 so you can significantly decrease their damage, etc!

But in base, no matter what you gussy up the enemies with, combat in Morrowind is very very simple once you know how it works. Actually creating interesting encounters is less of a factor of buffing stats and more giving enemies unique spell effects or enchantment effects or group compositions.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah fair enough

it making more sense doesn't mean it was good, just that it was more sensible than giving you three RNG numbers for no reason. I can see what they were trying to do, at least.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Invisibility is trivially cheap and makes you 100% undetectable.
Chameleon, reflect, and sanctuary are stackable and completely break the game at 100 points. (sanctuary is technically not complete immunity at 100 but it's effect is effectively the same)
Alcohol can stack buffs infinitely. Drink 10 cheap sujamma and punch a hole in god.
Not even going to go into the alchemy loop

Morrowond is busted as hell. There's an anticheese mod out there but the whole thing needs a revamp.

Games like dnd increase power by giving your rolls more dice. There's still a chance of failure even at 100. With flat percentage increase like chameleon, there's never failure at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Node posted:

I guess we can also re-mention the fact that fatigue affects lots of poo poo you wouldn't expect in a computer game, such as lockpicking and mercantile

desperately haggling for cheaper restore fatigue potions between great heaving breaths