Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Erdogan is probably seeing that his days of being able to lean on Daddy Russia to play off of NATO is waning. He is going to have to cozy back up as best he can again. I also assume that him narrowly winning re-election is probably going to have to cause him to reform some or risk being disposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spankmeister posted:

Turkey joining the EU is a complete non-starter with him still in power so.

We can re-start the process and tell again what reforms are now needed, though! (The list is going to be longer than the last time.)

I suppose this is bad news for Koran vendors in Stockholm, there's no use for some people to keep burning them after this.

But this has been a really weird journey with weird twists. Maybe one day we'll learn what went on behind closed doors but there doesn't seem to be any reason why Erdogan couldn't have given his pledge sooner so Sweden could have participated in the Vilna summit as a member state.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1678494833118179354

And there it is

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:toot: finally NATO has been shown its limits

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Pretty sure I remember the F-16 deal was mentioned as a possible bargaining chip as soon as, or even before Sweden and Finland applied.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Biden can't approve F-16 sales alone, it needs the congress' approval who have been opposed. WSJ has paywall and Twitter is poo poo so I'm not sure what

spankmeister posted:

And there it is

means? :confused:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Seems like a reasonable compromise. Erdogan gets to look big and tough, but (still) doesn't get F-35s. I'm happy for Sweden, and hope that Swedish goons itt (are there any?) are happy too.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nenonen posted:

Biden can't approve F-16 sales alone, it needs the congress' approval who have been opposed. WSJ has paywall and Twitter is poo poo so I'm not sure what

I believe that Biden is capable of obstructing the deal at his leisure, though, and the congress rarely opposes for-profit sales of military hardware, thanks to the jobs it brings.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

I believe that Biden is capable of obstructing the deal at his leisure, though, and the congress rarely opposes for-profit sales of military hardware, thanks to the jobs it brings.

But from what I have heard before, the obstruction was the congress who wouldn't want to arm the Turkish dictator to kill Kurdish freedom fighters. It's possible that this has changed, but I would like to hear a confirmation for it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ynglaur posted:

Seems like a reasonable compromise. Erdogan gets to look big and tough, but (still) doesn't get F-35s. I'm happy for Sweden, and hope that Swedish goons itt (are there any?) are happy too.

Nah, our PM promised Erdogan a ”special security cooperation”, which sounds like we’ll help him hunt Kurds and oppositional party members. An embarassing shitshow of smooching an autocratic rear end in a top hat until it’s shining.

It also seems we promised to work inside EU to help Turkey’s application, which is funny. Like yes, I am sure everyone opposed to Turkey joining will change their tune now that Erdogan has mighty Sweden as their partner in crime.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 10, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Pretty sure somebody called an F-16s for Swedish accession deal when this got started.

If that's what's happening (and until it's actually ratified I'm not considering a done deal given Erdogan's history), it seems quite reasonable for everyone involved.

Edit:

lilljonas posted:

Nah, our PM promised Erdogan a ”special security cooperation”, which sounds like we’ll help him hunt Kurds and oppositional party members. An embarassing shitshow of smooching an autocratic rear end in a top hat until it’s shining.
Well maybe it's not so good then. Depends on what that vague term means I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

EasilyConfused posted:

Pretty sure somebody called an F-16s for Swedish accession deal when this got started.

If that's what's happening (and until it's actually ratified I'm not considering a done deal given Erdogan's history), it seems quite reasonable for everyone involved.

Edit:

Well maybe it's not so good then. Depends on what that vague term means I guess.

Sweden will also work on lifting the ban on selling weapons to Turkey, so yeah, even if he doesn’t end up with F-16’s, Erdogan can waste the rapidly crumbling Turkish economy on buying Swedish weapons for killing Kurds.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lilljonas posted:

It also seems we promised to work inside EU to help Turkey’s application, which is funny. Like yes, I am sure everyone opposed to Turkey joining will change their tune now that Erdogan has mighty Sweden as their partner in crime.

I'm not from the EU but I have a hard time imagining this happening. Per wikipedia, sounds like Turkey would be the EU's most populous country and have the most parliament members.

EDIT: Plus, don't all EU members have to approve? Pretty sure the Greeks would not be up for this.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm not from the EU but I have a hard time imagining this happening. Per wikipedia, sounds like Turkey would be the EU's most populous country and have the most parliament members.

EDIT: Plus, don't all EU members have to approve? Pretty sure the Greeks would not be up for this.
There are quite stringent requirements with regards to having a working democratic system, independent judiciary, human rights support, free and open media, etc. Since Erdogan took over, Turkey has been consistently been moving away from meeting those requirements.

If Turkey wants to get into the EU, step one would be getting rid of Erdogan’s and his party‘s stranglehold over Turkey’s political system.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

lilljonas posted:

These all seem like conditions it would be very easy to half-rear end, or find convenient reasons to back out of, once NATO accession is done. Whereas it's not like Turkey can kick Sweden out of NATO once they're in.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

The EU is a slow and lumbering mess by design, since the boogey-man of federalization was already unpopular in the 90's and guess what's the populist shtick about anti-EU sentiment in Europe today. Sweden sure can try to "help", but that's a pretty small gesture in the grand scheme of things. And as has been pointed out, Turkey as it is today won't meet EU's standards in many areas, so lobbying for them is carrying water into the sea.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ranbo das posted:

Give Ukraine the equivalent of anything that has been used against them. Give them F15/16/18s. Give them cluster munitions and ATACMS. Give them tanks and IFVs and rifles.

If Russia wants to use NBCs, give Ukraine the power to answer back in kind.

I've never actually had borscht but I really should try it, if there is anywhere in the Chicagoland area anyone recommends let me know.

For a russian, rather than ukrainian or polish, version, Jibek Jolu in Glenview does russian and central asian for quite cheap, including borscht, and it whips absolute rear end

hit the borscht, hit the shashlik, hit the jarovnya, hit the zakuska, honestly you can't go wrong

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
The Russian food I wish was more common in the states is "chips fish". It's like fish jerky and it's good as hell. Fish must be feminine or UnAmerican or something I don't know.

Does anyone have recommendations on podcasts/books for someone wanting to deep dive Kurdish history, culture, and current geopolitics?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Vaginaface posted:

Fish must be feminine or UnAmerican or something I don't know.

Worse - Catholic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vaginaface posted:

The Russian food I wish was more common in the states is "chips fish". It's like fish jerky and it's good as hell. Fish must be feminine or UnAmerican or something I don't know.

Does anyone have recommendations on podcasts/books for someone wanting to deep dive Kurdish history, culture, and current geopolitics?

I’d point to most of the US being terminally landlocked.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’d point to most of the US being terminally landlocked.

Yeah there's large fish cultures on the coasts there's no need to try to make new stereotypes or whatever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
russian and ukrainian both have good food but gonna take this chance to especially shoutout georgian food

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koos Group posted:

This is not an entirely accurate characterization of opponents' arguments, as they didn't advocate murdering the same civilians Russians would, but rather other civilians. However, I don't think this is intentional on your part, and it doesn't affect the overall thrust of the argument, so I'm opting to just point this out.
We're talking about dropping internationally banned cluster bombs on Ukrainian territory which will continue to maim and kill for decades, and those are the same people that are being killed in Russian attacks: Ukrainian civilians

Unless you're saying I read too narrowly and people are calling for even more civilian blood than that.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

russian and ukrainian both have good food but gonna take this chance to especially shoutout georgian food

Good point, I would always choose Chick-fil-A over borscht.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

VitalSigns posted:

We're only murdering civilians because the other side would kill them anyway doesn't sound like something the good guys would say.

VitalSigns posted:

We're talking about dropping internationally banned cluster bombs on Ukrainian territory which will continue to maim and kill for decades, and those are the same people that are being killed in Russian attacks: Ukrainian civilians

Unless you're saying I read too narrowly and people are calling for even more civilian blood than that.

The fact that you are conflating collateral damage as "murder", implying the primary aim of supplying cluster munitions to Ukraine is not actually to assist them in evicting Russians from Ukrainian soil but is actually meant to kill civilians, strongly suggests trolling/bad faith. I guess it is possible the verbiage used in the first post was unintended. If so perhaps you can clarify.

If you did actually mean to use the word "murdering" and posit that cluster munitions are unacceptable since they will kill Ukrainian civilians at some point, are there other weapons that you think should not be supplied due to the possibility of collateral damage? Since all military weapons will inevitably inflict collateral damage in the form of civilian deaths, are you suggesting that any and all military aid is actually immoral since we are "murdering" Ukrainian civilians? If this is not the case then I am interested in knowing where you would draw the line.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Herstory Begins Now posted:

A good fried once invited me to her son's first birthday party. She's Caucasian Jewish, her husband was Mexican Catholic. There were more than 100 people there. They cleared out a two-car garage and had buffet tables along all three interior walls. The food was all a blur (we got into her FIL's good tequila later) but there was so much and it was all so good. Three trays of deviled eggs is all I retain, but I'm pretty sure they just rolled me down the hill home.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vaginaface posted:

Fish must be feminine or UnAmerican or something I don't know.

Have you ever been to a state that borders... a body of water? Like even large rivers because... what??

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MikeC posted:

The fact that you are conflating collateral damage as "murder", implying the primary aim of supplying cluster munitions to Ukraine is not actually to assist them in evicting Russians from Ukrainian soil but is actually meant to kill civilians, strongly suggests trolling/bad faith. I guess it is possible the verbiage used in the first post was unintended. If so perhaps you can clarify.

If you did actually mean to use the word "murdering" and posit that cluster munitions are unacceptable since they will kill Ukrainian civilians at some point, are there other weapons that you think should not be supplied due to the possibility of collateral damage? Since all military weapons will inevitably inflict collateral damage in the form of civilian deaths, are you suggesting that any and all military aid is actually immoral since we are "murdering" Ukrainian civilians? If this is not the case then I am interested in knowing where you would draw the line.
I don't see a moral difference between dropping cluster bombs to kill civilians on purpose versus dropping them and not caring that you're killing civilians. Call it whatever euphemism you want though.

As for your other question, certain weapons like poison gas, landmines, or cluster bombs are so heinous they've been banned by international treaty so comparing them to other weapons is a weak argument. Just because a bullet can kill doesn't mean we may as well drop phosgene on people or release hundreds of UXOs with every bomb that are going to keep crippling and killing innocent men, women, and children for decades. I draw the line at war crimes personally.

We don't want to kill civilians we just want to end the war faster is what every side says.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 11, 2023

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

VitalSigns posted:

As for your other question, certain weapons like poison gas, landmines, or cluster bombs are so heinous they've been banned by international treaty so comparing them to other weapons is a weak argument.

FWIW, the bigger reason poison gas was banned was that the main powers all had a lot of it, and all realized that it tended to favor the defender (or at least stalemate) by limiting mobility. Banning it eliminated a counter to their offensive weapons and so was in their mutual interest. As for cluster munitions and landmines, they were never actually banned since all of the major powers (among many others) continue to use one or both.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just because people ignore a ban doesn't mean the ban doesn't exist. Weird semantic argument.

Most war criminals aren't prosecuted either because the victors control the courts, but that's hardly a moral justification for doing war crimes.

And all laws of war were only signed because signing powers considered it to be in their self-interest. Again hardly a moral justification for committing war crimes, though it doesn't rule out that there are more acts which should be added but aren't because countries are acting in their self interest.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 11, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Just because people ignore a ban doesn't mean the ban doesn't exist. Weird semantic argument.

Most war criminals aren't prosecuted because the victors control the courts, but that's hardly a moral justification for doing war crimes.

Who banned it and why?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Meanwhile in the real world, Russia hit a distribution point for aid with an airstrike, killing 7 civilians.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Who banned it and why?

You can read about it if you want, information is free.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_Cluster_Munitions

Or are you trying to make some kind of point about who drafted and signed the treaty, if so it would save time to just state your point.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Or are you trying to make some kind of point about who drafted and signed the treaty, if so it would save time to just state your point.

Looks like a treaty that the US, Russia or Ukraine never signed. Interestingly enough it mentions the dud rates were the reason for the treaty as that can lead to civilian casualties and the US developed weapons that have a less than 1% dud rate which is significant.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see a moral difference between dropping cluster bombs to kill civilians on purpose versus dropping them and not caring that you're killing civilians. Call it whatever euphemism you want though.

Why? Why would intent not matter in this circumstance?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I mean you have to also go with the other assumption in the post which was "not caring that you're killing civilians" which is just asinine.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Is it not the case that in the event of a full-on NATO vs. whoever war, most of the European NATO signatories would either a) rely on US forces to use cluster munitions in tactically appropriate situations or b) just use US supplied cluster munitions? If that's the case, then this seems sort of like that "No weapons in space treaty" that most of the globe has signed, but all of the holdouts are the countries with viable space programs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Is it not the case that in the event of a full-on NATO vs. whoever war, most of the European NATO signatories would either a) rely on US forces to use cluster munitions in tactically appropriate situations or b) just use US supplied cluster munitions? If that's the case, then this seems sort of like that "No weapons in space treaty" that most of the globe has signed, but all of the holdouts are the countries with viable space programs.

There is an exception in the treaty that people who signed it will still let the US store the weapons in their country, UK pushed for this hard, so that is exactly what is happening.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think intent does matter, I just think the intent of killing someone on purpose or the intent of knowing what you do will kill someone and not caring is about equally depraved.

If you somehow dropped a cluster bomb on accident then that intent is different in a morally significant way.

socialsecurity posted:

Looks like a treaty that the US, Russia or Ukraine never signed.
This legalistic argument reflects badly on those countries it doesn't make cluster bombs morally okay wtf.

socialsecurity posted:

Interestingly enough it mentions the dud rates were the reason for the treaty as that can lead to civilian casualties and the US developed weapons that have a less than 1% dud rate which is significant.

The treaty is stricter than that, I guess it's less of a war crime to use those depending on how accurate those 1% claims are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Looking at a map of the G20, it's almost an inverse of the cluster munitions ban (accounting for the fact that the European signatories + Canada will just use US supplied ones). So a supermajority of the world's population lives in countries where it is not, in fact, a crime to use cluster munitions (in general, I'm sure there's plenty of specific use cases that would constitute war crimes under different treaties).

Edit: Probably closer to 75%+ of the global population, since Pakistan/SE Asia isn't in either.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 11, 2023