Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

...! posted:

The NES version of Metal Gear 1 is a bad port of the original MSX version. It doesn't have the boss fight against the Metal Gear itself (which was kind of the entire point of the game!), replaces the Hind boss with an easy fight against a couple of chumps, fucks with the bases' layouts, adds pointless new areas, etc.

The second NES Metal Gear game (Snake's Revenge) had zero involvement by Kojima and isn't canon.

The original MSX games (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake) are great games and very much worth playing. They were translated into English for the first time as bonus content for MGS3 and will also be included (along with Snake's Revenge) in the upcoming Metal Gear Master Collection in October. True fans will play them (Snake's Revenge is optional).

It should also be noted that Kojima himself hates the NES version of Metal Gear. It was made without his involvement; he didn't even know of its existence until a member of the porting team asked him for advice.

For some reason the Konami management told the porting team that the port must have a lot of differences from the original version so that it could essentially be considered a different game in a way. Kojima has stated multiple times that he hates literally every single change put in the NES version. The insistence on making the game different just resulted in it being worse in every way.

He also didn't know that Snake's Revenge was even being made until late in its development; a member of the dev team asked him for advice. The dev even told Kojima that the game was going to be poo poo and begged him to personally make a sequel of his own. This led to Kojima convincing Konami to let him make Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, an actually good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
So the whole "Kojima getting dragged out of retirement in Alaska to make another Metal Gear" routine started after the very first game? That tracks all right

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, and then MGS1 is incredibly similar to MG2's themes and characters in a lot of ways so you could say he's made the start of Solid Snake's story at least 3 times if you want to include Twin Snakes (I really don't).

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Some more for Aliens: Dark Descent.

Maps are persistent so doors that are welded, motion trackers dropped, or sentries deployed stay there when you come back with the only caveat is sentries will be broken when you come back.

This also includes resources so it is a good idea to not strip search the place for everything on an early playthrough and to leave ammo, meds, or tools that are easily grabbed for later.

This is ESPECIALLY true for ammo since marines only bring in 1 extra ammo each into a mission unless you buy a perk for them. While you can purchase meds, tools, and sentries with materials ammo can't be purchased. Don't be like me where you leave the first time on the first map with 16 extra ammo and leaving none for later. For an idea on ammo usage assume every marine will need a reload after a Massive Assault or whatever its called gets triggered. (I've reached a point early in the game where I'm getting attacked a bunch but I just don't have enough ammo and I think I need to restart.)

I haven't played much but the Mineshaft is the first hard part of the game. Make sure by that point you have a way to kill aliens without setting off a hunt and have enough ammo for at least 2 if not 3 reloads when the game warms you poo poo is about to go down.

Don't underestimate walking when under attack. Your marines will still shoot and even though it isn't much any distance between you and the aliens is good.

If no aliens are on the tracker don't be afraid to run. The longer you spend on a map the more aliens will spawn and the harder things become so try not to waste time.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

anything for F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition (or whatever the one you can buy on switch is called), is there any rule of thumb or way to know what level you should be for each map/mission in the adventure mode? Sometimes I get a map where I need to play a specific character and I have no real sense of how many rupees I need to burn to catch them up to speed. Or maybe it's just that Fi sucks at all levels

Relatedly; what's the least annoying way to grind for rupees? Or if there's a better way to level characters quickly, that's my question instead. It's moments like these that make me miss game genies

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

limp_cheese posted:

Some more for Aliens: Dark Descent.

Maps are persistent so doors that are welded, motion trackers dropped, or sentries deployed stay there when you come back with the only caveat is sentries will be broken when you come back.

This also includes resources so it is a good idea to not strip search the place for everything on an early playthrough and to leave ammo, meds, or tools that are easily grabbed for later.

This is ESPECIALLY true for ammo since marines only bring in 1 extra ammo each into a mission unless you buy a perk for them. While you can purchase meds, tools, and sentries with materials ammo can't be purchased. Don't be like me where you leave the first time on the first map with 16 extra ammo and leaving none for later. For an idea on ammo usage assume every marine will need a reload after a Massive Assault or whatever its called gets triggered. (I've reached a point early in the game where I'm getting attacked a bunch but I just don't have enough ammo and I think I need to restart.)

I haven't played much but the Mineshaft is the first hard part of the game. Make sure by that point you have a way to kill aliens without setting off a hunt and have enough ammo for at least 2 if not 3 reloads when the game warms you poo poo is about to go down.

Don't underestimate walking when under attack. Your marines will still shoot and even though it isn't much any distance between you and the aliens is good.

If no aliens are on the tracker don't be afraid to run. The longer you spend on a map the more aliens will spawn and the harder things become so try not to waste time.

How good is it? I hear it's decent, I watched Mandalore's review and he sold me on it. Thing is, I usually get bored of XCOM-like pretty quickly, but this one seems less daunting. Not sure if I should just pull the trigger or wait until the hype dies down.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lifroc posted:

How good is it? I hear it's decent, I watched Mandalore's review and he sold me on it. Thing is, I usually get bored of XCOM-like pretty quickly, but this one seems less daunting. Not sure if I should just pull the trigger or wait until the hype dies down.

I saw that same video and its what got me to buy the game. While comparing it to XCom is obvious the only similarities is its a game where you deploy a squad of soldiers of different classes on a mission. Its not turn based at all and everything happens in real time, with the exception being the skill menu that either slows down time to a crawl or pauses the game. I have it on pause since even with time slowed the aliens are still really fast.

Its also story driven and the maps are always the same. Every map has a bunch of objectives to complete and its impossible to do them all in one go. When you leave and come back the game remembers the progress you made and you start off from there.

The biggest difference between this and XCom is in this game you want to avoid combat as much as possible. The more combat you get in the more aliens will passively spawn and the more "stress" your soldiers get. Once you run out of supplies or your soldier's stress gets to high is when you want to leave but its all up to you. Stress leads to trauma and with enough trauma your soldiers start having debuffs that can only be removed by a lvl up perk or a room in the base I haven't unlocked yet. For example, one of my guys has Pyrophobia lvl 2 that makes it so he gets a bunch of stress if flamers are used. Trauma has 3 levels that makes the debuffs worse.

Stress on missions is mitigated by using med kits or finding a safe room to weld shut, and it can't just be any room. It has to specifically be a "safe room". The map will show you and there are more than you think. Its also the only way to save mid mission. When stress reaches 100 your soldier is hit with a debuff like "-20% accuracy and uses 2x ammunition" or "takes more stress damage", poo poo like that. That's on top of whatever trauma they have and every soldier also has a personality flaw. That can be poo poo like "Poor Eyesight: -10% accuracy" or "Brawler: every rest consumes 1 medkit" and those can be removed by lvl perks.

So yeah, there is more emphasis in this game on your soldiers mental health but they needed something since when it comes to equipment there isn't much. I'm quite sure that whatever armor you start with is the only armor you have and you do get some different guns but there are only a couple. Your soldiers also get debuffs like "tired" and "exhausted" from going on missions that you get rid of by letting a day or two pass.

All in all I'm really enjoying it. There was an intense mission I did last night where I went too far in a mission and had to do a long stretch without being able to leave. My soldiers were popping pills left and right to help with stress but they still all left traumatized. I went back with a squad of rookies since everyone else was too hosed up and barely made any progress since I saw a coming boss fight and wanted some better dudes to deal with it.

And another important tip I didn't include in my other post:

- Killing aliens gives a little xp but its so tiny it doesn't really matter. Almost all of your xp is going to come from completing objectives and reaching a promotion doesn't stop someone from getting xp. On a long mission you might be able to promote someone twice when they come back. I tried to farm some with constantly getting caught and fighting off waves but after 20 mins none of my rookies got a promotion and instead they just came back wounded and traumatized.

Edit:

Ainsley McTree posted:

That said, I really like the way they handled the real time squad controls and I would not hate it if a future xcom sequel ripped it off

This is something else I forgot to mention. While you can cycle through specific soldiers you cannot control them individually. Any move or fire command you give will be carried out by the entire squad. Now if you tell your squad ro weld a door or collect some supplies they will run off and do it as an individual but once its done they run back into formation. I really like it.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m enjoying the game too but I’m still only in about the first half; if it gets stale by the end I wouldn’t know yet but I’m having a blast so far.

and yeah it’s not quite as close to xcom as it first appears. Growing your squad, treasuring your high level troops, and developing them in your base facilities is probably the closest this game feels to it but it’s mostly kind of doing it’s own thing. The persistent static maps are probably the biggest difference to me.

That said, I really like the way they handled the real time squad controls and I would not hate it if a future xcom sequel ripped it off

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ I think that Xcom would struggle with these style of controls because most of the enemies have a damaging ranged attack. In here 90% of the enemies are melee only, which means that moving and firing is possible without getting mulched.

It doesn't really get stale, although it does get frustrating at times. The number of aliens gets higher and higher, and they throw some other enemies in that can attack you and cause you to have to return fire, triggering an alien wave. There's diminishing returns on units as they level up so losing a high tier guy isn't the end of the world, but it can sometimes be fiddly and overwhelming. However, it's a great RTS game, and I like it a lot. I had to pause my playthrough since I hit a major performance bug 3/4 of the way through but before that I was mainlining it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

^^^ I think that Xcom would struggle with these style of controls because most of the enemies have a damaging ranged attack. In here 90% of the enemies are melee only, which means that moving and firing is possible without getting mulched.

It doesn't really get stale, although it does get frustrating at times. The number of aliens gets higher and higher, and they throw some other enemies in that can attack you and cause you to have to return fire, triggering an alien wave. There's diminishing returns on units as they level up so losing a high tier guy isn't the end of the world, but it can sometimes be fiddly and overwhelming. However, it's a great RTS game, and I like it a lot. I had to pause my playthrough since I hit a major performance bug 3/4 of the way through but before that I was mainlining it.

Now that you mention it, I do not particularly enjoy the fights against people with guns, that’s a good point. It’s a great bug hunting game but I suppose it’d need more work if it was gonna be anything besides “xcom: oops all chrysalids”

Still, the way that you control the squad as a unit rather than individual soldiers feels really good to me, I hope it inspires competent copycats.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now that you mention it, I do not particularly enjoy the fights against people with guns, that’s a good point. It’s a great bug hunting game but I suppose it’d need more work if it was gonna be anything besides “xcom: oops all chrysalids”

Still, the way that you control the squad as a unit rather than individual soldiers feels really good to me, I hope it inspires competent copycats.

Yeah, the gunner enemies are annoying because they do stuff like "take cover" and eat up your ammo. They are counterbalanced by not doing a lot of damage and also being *extremely* weak to squad actions like flamers or grenades, which are all balanced around the assumption that the enemies are moving and therefore won't just eat it and die.

Red Solstice is a game like this that does the same thing but I just didn't really end up liking its design, with its random missions.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

:

I tried to farm some with constantly getting caught and fighting off waves but after 20 mins none of my rookies got a promotion and instead they just came back wounded and traumatized.

How very Weyland Yutani of you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really want to get into Hunt: Showdown. Do you folks have any tips and tricks to make me a better player?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Any tips for Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lord Lambeth posted:

I really want to get into Hunt: Showdown. Do you folks have any tips and tricks to make me a better player?

Limited experience with the game, but try to find a consistent group to play with if you don't already have one. Good communication is a must.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Broad topic but a few general tips

- Hunt is primarily a stealth game. Things on the map like the dying horses or glass are there to make noise, and gunshots ring out across the map. If you don't want to die then bring knuckle dusters and use them to take down enemies as much as you can. The knife does so slightly better but can't be used against the burning monsters, which explode when they are hit with piercing damage.

- All weapons are viable at close to medium range, just depends on what they are best at. Shotguns are still best point blank, although they can deal decent damage at midrange if you get lucky. But don't think that just because someone is 50 feet away you are safe from their pistol.

- There is nothing wrong with getting some hints and then extracting. It gives you XP, you keep the items you find, and generally you won't even get noticed unless you shoot up the place.

- You need directional audio to play Hunt effectively, whether that's with headphones or really good surround sound. The game is extremely audio dependent, including with footsteps being your number one way to tell if you have an incoming enemy. You can play without them but be prepared for enemies to seem like they have ESP.

- Know the monster types and how to counter them. Each special zombie has weaknesses and strengths, and you will need to exploit them if you don't want to spend all your ammo making a lot of noise to kill them. The most common one you will probably need to take down is the Hive, which is killed by shooting the head of the monster that is hanging limp off the side. Additionally, the Armored ones that look like papery wasp nest can be easily stunlocked with melee, so long as they aren't the ones with barbed wire in them.

- Don't blow your funds on expensive guns. You don't start out with them unlocked anyways, but when you do get the ability to buy them then you'll want to still stick to low cost weapons and buy tools and items rather than an expensive gun that isn't that much better than base.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  • The HDR can have some weird setup issues, but the game really benefits from getting it right. For me, Windows 11 kept turning on AutoHDR, which gave it a washed out look, and the brightness calibration square kept telling me to max it out. I wound up getting the best results by disabling AutoHDR in windows and leaving brightness on the middle setting then just tweaking it by what felt right in-game.
  • Favor walking over running unless you're being chased or know an area is safe, enemies can track you by sound. Lickers and trenchcoat man use it the most, but even basic zombies become way easier to sneak by if they aren't already alerted the instant you enter a room.
  • There's not too much need to hoard blue herbs as a poison cure. It's a fairly nasty ailment, but only one enemy applies it during a relatively short segment of the sewers and you can even mostly avoid that with a defensive item. Maybe keep at least 1 until you're past that part, but generally the defensive buff you get from combining them with a red herb is pretty substantial and worth using.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any early advice for Dave the Diver, in particular about running the restaurant at night? I think I generally have the hang of it, particularly now that I've added staff, but at least two things are a little unclear:

--Is it always a good idea to put a dish on "Auto-Supply" rather than just offering several of the dish for sale? This seems like the best way to avoid wasting more than a single serving, but since it's merely an option, and the default is to put out multiples of a single dish, I'm wondering if I'm missing some downside to "Auto-Supply".

--I placed my first version of the second tier ad, and got two candidates, one of whom had 125+ service skills, which is where I needed help, but another of whom who had a single point in every skill (and cost only 4 gold to hire). I hired the first guy because it seemed like an immediate need, but I assume the second applicant wasn't some kind of bug, so is there some special advantage to a cheap hire with no skill who -- what? -- you can train up cheaply?

And one tip, in case this helps anyone else, as it was confusing me -- if you craft a new weapon, it will give you the option to equip it immediately. I couldn't figure out where my previously equipped weapon had gone, and thought maybe I lost it and needed to craft a new one. But it's not gone -- it's just in the storage box on the boat, next to Cobra. If you access that box before diving you can pick which weapon and charms to equip

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 10, 2023

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Made a page for Command & Conquer: Renegade:

quote:

* The fanmade Tiberian Technologies scripts are probably required to run the game on a modern PC.

* If playing on a high resolution, enabling the "Double HUD" option from the configuration program (wwconfig.exe) increases the HUD size and lets you see the radar and thus enemy positions properly.

* Enabling "Lock Vehicle Camera to Turret" from the config or in-game options allows for easier vehicle aiming without having to hold down a separate button.

* Follow the game's advice and prioritize NOD officers in the early game, as they can summon endless reinforcements. Rocketeers and snipers are the main threat later on.

* Aim for the head for much better damage, especially with the pistol.

* You can conserve ammo for some weapons like the flamethrower by tapping the fire button instead of holding it down.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any early advice for Dave the Diver, in particular about running the restaurant at night? I think I generally have the hang of it, particularly now that I've added staff, but at least two things are a little unclear:

--Is it always a good idea to put a dish on "Auto-Supply" rather than just offering several of the dish for sale? This seems like the best way to avoid wasting more than a single serving, but since it's merely an option, and the default is to put out multiples of a single dish, I'm wondering if I'm missing some downside to "Auto-Supply".

--I placed my first version of the second tier ad, and got two candidates, one of whom had 125+ service skills, which is where I needed help, but another of whom who had a single point in every skill (and cost only 4 gold to hire). I hired the first guy because it seemed like an immediate need, but I assume the second applicant wasn't some kind of bug, so is there some special advantage to a cheap hire with no skill who -- what? -- you can train up cheaply?

And one tip, in case this helps anyone else, as it was confusing me -- if you craft a new weapon, it will give you the option to equip it immediately. I couldn't figure out where my previously equipped weapon had gone, and thought maybe I lost it and needed to craft a new one. But it's not gone -- it's just in the storage box on the boat, next to Cobra. If you access that box before diving you can pick which weapon and charms to equip

Don't upgrade your suit too much too early on. You won't be able to go deeper than I think 150m? until a certain plot point, so upgrading your suit to deeper than that is pointless before that. Don't sleep on the other upgrades though, because they're really useful. Halfway through chapter 2 oxygen simply wasn't much of an issue anymore except as a health meter, and the carry weight and harpoon upgrades feel really hefty. You really notice the difference, which is nice.

I just got to chapter 3 and it's super fun, but also seems to be simple enough that there's no real ways you can handicap yourself? Playing suboptimally just means you take a couple of days longer to reach the next plot point, I guess.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Taeke posted:

Don't upgrade your suit too much too early on. You won't be able to go deeper than I think 150m? until a certain plot point, so upgrading your suit to deeper than that is pointless before that. Don't sleep on the other upgrades though, because they're really useful. Halfway through chapter 2 oxygen simply wasn't much of an issue anymore except as a health meter, and the carry weight and harpoon upgrades feel really hefty. You really notice the difference, which is nice.

I just got to chapter 3 and it's super fun, but also seems to be simple enough that there's no real ways you can handicap yourself? Playing suboptimally just means you take a couple of days longer to reach the next plot point, I guess.

Thanks. That's good to know about the suit, and I think I'm still only in chapter 2, but between tanks, equipment boxes, and giant clams, O2 has never been an issue. I need to put more into my speargun -- I assume as I do more damage I have to mess around less with the button pressing minigames, right?

The only weapons I've developed so far have been the sniper rifle, which is handy for some smaller aggressive fish, but not strong enough for sharks, and the net gun which seems situationally useful. Anything big and aggro doesn't seem worth fighting, though, with the gear I have. Any sense of whether it's worth trying to hunt down or upgrade strong weapons to be able to fight big enemies, or better just to avoid them?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. That's good to know about the suit, and I think I'm still only in chapter 2, but between tanks, equipment boxes, and giant clams, O2 has never been an issue. I need to put more into my speargun -- I assume as I do more damage I have to mess around less with the button pressing minigames, right?

The only weapons I've developed so far have been the sniper rifle, which is handy for some smaller aggressive fish, but not strong enough for sharks, and the net gun which seems situationally useful. Anything big and aggro doesn't seem worth fighting, though, with the gear I have. Any sense of whether it's worth trying to hunt down or upgrade strong weapons to be able to fight big enemies, or better just to avoid them?

The weapons are situational but there are situations where you will be glad you have them. A stun weapon like your net is going to be critical for some quests.

The harpoon upgrade cuts back on the struggle minigames but only for earlier game fish, the deeper ones it's mostly free damage that doesn't blow stars away. However you want to upgrade it a lot so you aren't spending ages bouncing your spear off fish to chip damage them down.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is Diablo IV good enough to go back on my personal boycott of ActiBlizz for their horrific worker abuses and quietly purchase and install it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shrecknet posted:

Is Diablo IV good enough to go back on my personal boycott of ActiBlizz for their horrific worker abuses and quietly purchase and install it?
No.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ok thank

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Purchase advice: Final Fantasy VII (remake and original)
a. So I've been under the impression that the remake goes to different places, plot-wise, than the original. How true? Is it worth it to play both to get a full experience, or just play one?
b. remake - is the steam release a fine port, or they butchered it?
c. original - given the game's age (and again, referring to the steam version), does it run fine out of the box? Need/heavily adviced fan-patches?

(is this the right thread for it, or there's a better one?)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played it on ps4 so I can only answer your first question but yeah you’ll appreciate the differences more if you play both (or if ff7 has aged too poorly to be fun, maybe watching a let’s play or something). I’m being coy about what this means on purpose though

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Gun Jam posted:

a. So I've been under the impression that the remake goes to different places, plot-wise, than the original. How true? Is it worth it to play both to get a full experience, or just play one?
c. original - given the game's age (and again, referring to the steam version), does it run fine out of the box? Need/heavily adviced fan-patches?

For c., yeah, it'll run fine as installed from Steam. I played it about a year ago and didn't run into any issues that I can remember, especially any that required patches or workarounds.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Gun Jam posted:

ff7 remake does very different things, plotwise, compared to the original game. it assumes the player played the original, and plays on your expectations. it's not a requirement to play ff7 before remake, but if you've got the time and gumption to do both, definately play the original first.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're not going to play FF7 yourself, Elentor's LP is probably the best way to experience it unless you're really committed to watching videos.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Gun Jam posted:

They are definitely two entirely different works that have different things they're concerned about. I would say at least watch an LP of FF7. It's worth playing yourself of course, and if you do I would recommend playing the PC/PS4/Switch/mobile ports which let you turn off random battles at will which can save some time. It's not a game that needs a fan patch, but the conveniences of the current most easily available way to play it are nice.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Gun Jam posted:

a) Extremely true. While we don't know where this is going right now, the ending of the game is a radical departure from the equivalent scenes in original FF7. Assuming you have the time, play the original first. If you don't, then the Elentor LP linked above remains top quality stuff.

b) Completely fine, I played the entire thing that way using an Xbox controller and had no issues.

c) Haven't played it myself, but secondhand I've heard that it runs fine. Used to require a SE account to play but I don't know if that's still true. They added a bunch of ingame trainer options that allow you to blow through the game if you just want the story.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a thread, and a discord, join us!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952199&pagenumber=60#lastpost

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gun Jam posted:

The plot goes to some completely different places and in fact despite the 'remake' in the name, the game seems to actually be a sequel to the original and being familiar with the major beats of the original will help your understanding of the 'remake'.

ultrafilter posted:

If you're not going to play FF7 yourself, Elentor's LP is probably the best way to experience it unless you're really committed to watching videos.

Seconding this. Elentor's LP is one of the top loving LPs these forums have ever produced.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vandar posted:

The plot goes to some completely different places and in fact despite the 'remake' in the name, the game seems to actually be a sequel to the original and being familiar with the major beats of the original will help your understanding of the 'remake'.

this is like not a spoiler at all but I'm following vandars lead here: a way to think of it is like as a subtitle and not as a description of what it is. if you've seen the evangelion rebuild movies it's like that. same place, same time, same people, but different, and in conversation with what came before

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

If you're asking this question at all, you're clearly going to do it anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

egg tats posted:

this is like not a spoiler at all but I'm following vandars lead here: a way to think of it is like as a subtitle and not as a description of what it is. if you've seen the evangelion rebuild movies it's like that. same place, same time, same people, but different, and in conversation with what came before

Noooo. (Actual spoiler) It is a literal remaking of the story, with the Plot Ghosts desperate to keep it from changing from how it goes in the original game. And failing miserably by the end. The subtitle is just very cheeky.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you're asking this question at all, you're clearly going to do it anyway.
There's no ethical consumption under capitalism, but it's a lot easier to keep up a personal boycott if the product you're boycotting is also bad in addition to abusive. FWIW, I haven't (and probably won't) purchased D4, but I am curious if it's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

There's no ethical consumption under capitalism, but it's a lot easier to keep up a personal boycott if the product you're boycotting is also bad in addition to abusive. FWIW, I haven't (and probably won't) purchased D4, but I am curious if it's any good.

It has a battle pass.

They put a battle pass into diablo.