Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kestral posted:

Stuff like this is why I haven't been able to play a Larian game despite their being two of my favorite things (RPGs and co-op). I was really hoping that BG3 was going to have a tone shift imposed from on high, but, uh, yeah.

From what I've played in EA it really is far more tame.

Once again, the amount of dialogue trees essentially saying "are you sure" needed to get to the bear sex scene means you will not see it unless it is what you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ash Rose posted:

And yet, people make Paladins aggressively unhorny despite also having high charisma.
There never is a horny me,
And never horny will I be

And if this sacred vow I break
I pray the mods my Oaths to take

Pickled Tink posted:

One of the issues with the whole good/evil - paragon/renegade thing is that it is easy to present a single option as a good option to follow that is ethical and cool and works for all parties, but it is hard to have the same for bad people, since the goals and reasons for going against what is considered good and ethical is as wide and varied as the number of means for actually doing it.

You're never going to be able to do it well in a static format that video games currently exist in. You might be able to do it well if you already characterise the player character as a bad person for reasons, in which case you can create a series of options more or less extreme to follow along that pre-determined route that fit with the character, but in something as open as games like Baldur's Gate and Divinity Original Sin you are not going to be able to accomplish that sort of thing. It's far easier in pen and paper where the only real limitations are your imagination and what the GM and the other players will let you get away with.
I remember this was an issue in Star Wars games, where with the exception of the two KOTOR games (themselves not exactly perfect, I never played them but I have heard) a lot of the choices could be analogized as "EAT ICE CREAM / KILL SPACE PRESIDENT."

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SilverMike posted:

Probably. Anecdotally I remember bard players acting like that for quite a while now.

I remember horny bard jokes in 2nd Ed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I remember this was an issue in Star Wars games, where with the exception of the two KOTOR games (themselves not exactly perfect, I never played them but I have heard) a lot of the choices could be analogized as "EAT ICE CREAM / KILL SPACE PRESIDENT."

Oh my, no. KOTOR's binary Light Side/Dark Side choices were very much 'donate entire treasury to starving orphans/kick puppy in the incinerator.' KOTOR 2 wasn't BioWare so doesn't count and also we don't need to digress for five pages on Kreia: Good, Bad or Just Obnoxious Chris Avellone mouthpiece. SWTOR generally is also pretty binary but at least it leans into it with some of the classes where it's expected you'll play a cackling Force Lightning-throwing Sith sorcerer.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

KOTOR 1 is alright about it, but this is the central point of KOTOR 2. Early on a character says “when you help people, you make them weaker and dependent on you” and you’re given several choices of how to respond to that, which are very useful for defining the character you’re playing. The game makes a point of saying that you can’t know everything that’s going to happen but you can try to influence events. I’m intentionally not going into spoiler stuff, but KOTOR 2 is 80% of a finished game and it’s still one of the best CRPGs made.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Oh my, no. KOTOR's binary Light Side/Dark Side choices were very much 'donate entire treasury to starving orphans/kick puppy in the incinerator.' KOTOR 2 wasn't BioWare so doesn't count and also we don't need to digress for five pages on Kreia: Good, Bad or Just Obnoxious Chris Avellone mouthpiece. SWTOR generally is also pretty binary but at least it leans into it with some of the classes where it's expected you'll play a cackling Force Lightning-throwing Sith sorcerer.

There is the Trial on manaan where they Try to do shades of grey and the light side/dark side there is "Let a murderer face justice for killing a spy" and "Smear the sith enough that he's able to get off on a technicality"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kestral posted:

Stuff like this is why I haven't been able to play a Larian game despite their being two of my favorite things (RPGs and co-op). I was really hoping that BG3 was going to have a tone shift imposed from on high, but, uh, yeah.

Yeah I got the early access and the worst part about the game so far is how it forces you to gently caress bear after bear. So railroady. Why do all these actual bears keep diving for my hog?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
As long as they're not quantum bears.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Apparently the character creator has a CP2077 style genitals editor.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the character creator has a CP2077 style genitals editor.

It's not a dick length slider, it's a toggle, so basically you can be trans.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

Yeah I got the early access and the worst part about the game so far is how it forces you to gently caress bear after bear. So railroady. Why do all these actual bears keep diving for my hog?

30-50 feral bears on your genitals inside 2 minutes

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The game has a good mod community already I'm sure. Can't wait for the "every conversation tree ends with the person you're talking to wildshaping into a bear and blowing out your back walls again" mod.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dawgstar posted:

SWTOR varied wildly depending which story you were playing, and the planet storylines since those were separate.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

theironjef posted:

I don’t particularly care about the bear thing being an optional romance, people have pretty well covered my opinion that it’s in a fantasy setting between two consenting adults, so who cares. I’m annoyed that Larian’s sense of humor seems to have been ported over from their other games, because it’s pervasive and it undermines my enjoyment of every other thing they’ve made.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kestral posted:

I don’t particularly care about the bear thing being an optional romance, people have pretty well covered my opinion that it’s in a fantasy setting between two consenting adults, so who cares. I’m annoyed that Larian’s sense of humor seems to have been ported over from their other games, because it’s pervasive and it undermines my enjoyment of every other thing they’ve made.

Just embrace the bear

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just a shame the BG series will forever be known as "that series that lets you gently caress a bear" now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
in a series that has Edwina in it i don't the bear even moves the needle on unfortunate writing decisions

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If there isn't a bear dating ttrpg on itch already then I have to ask what the gently caress the lgbtq ttrpg scene are waiting for.

Move over Thirsty Sword Lesbians, it's time for Horny Wildshape Druids.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Some days you get the bugbear, other days the bear fucks you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bears are beasts, ergo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ToB included a bhaalspawn chicken. Bhaal hosed the chicken.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

ToB included a bhaalspawn chicken. Bhaal hosed the chicken.

Given Bhaal's plan was basically just "once all my kids die I'll be ressurrected " he should've hosed nothing but chickens.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

admanb posted:

Given Bhaal's plan was basically just "once all my kids die I'll be ressurrected " he should've hosed nothing but chickens.

too long for a thread title

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TG as an Industry: Bhaal should've hosed nothing but chickens should probably fit.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Randalor posted:

Just a shame the BG series will forever be known as "that series that lets you gently caress a bear" now.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm playing a game right now called The Long Dark and although the campaign mode of the game really doesn't seem to be about making good vs. evil choices, a recent one showed up that reminded me why these sorts of things are so often frustrating. A seemingly small choice is not signaled clearly to the player as "this is the bad choice" but then an unavoidable consequence happens that makes you feel super bad. In this case, minor spoilers for what I think is a side plot in act 3:
Some scared guy hiding in a cabin wants you to go fetch some papers and supplies for him, before he'll let you in. He's like the fourth actually alive human you've met so far in many days, and one of the people you met was an escaped criminal murderer, so you have no particular reason to trust this guy. When you bring him his stuff, he says to leave it for him outside, and you get a prompt to leave the stuff or leave the stuff but take the ammo yourself.
I'm thinking maybe don't give this guy ammunition, he's given no explanation for why he'd need it, and maybe he'll just shoot me since he seems paranoid. So I kept the ammo. I figured I'd give it to him later when he opened the door, if he turned out to not be an escaped convict like the last guy.
You come back in a day and he's lying outside his cabin, dead, with an arrow in his body, blood everywhere, and he's left you an angry note inside the cabin about "stealing" his ammunition leaving him defenseless and how much of an rear end in a top hat you are. So that's it, you got the guy killed. Who knows if he was going to be an ally or someone important later, he's dead now because of you.

Like that's a feelsbad outcome but the game could just as well have had the action I took be the good choice, but I guess the game designer just never thought about why someone might think doing what I did was the obviously good choice?

I get conditioned by poo poo like that to the point that even apparently very minorly "bad" or selfish choices in games I am likely to shy away from because they so frequently end up with unavoidable you're-an-absolute-monster-now outcomes. I really dislike this typical lack of a convincing gray area, second chances to fix something starting to go wrong because of what you did, or often even just any clue as to why stealing a coke from the coke machine is going to genocide some natives.

If you're going to give me moral choices you need to give me clues about which one is which, at the very least, and it'd be really nice to be able to play a character who is sometimes selfish but comes through in the end, vs. "if you're not a paragon of justice and good, you're a monster instead".

How did you feel about that stupid Spec OPs The Line game people were overpraising over for how deep it was because you have to fend off an attack from generic middle easterners and then the game is like "ACTUALLY THOSE WERE ALL CIVILIANS YOU SICK gently caress! I BET YOU FEEL LIKE A BIG PIECE OF poo poo NOW!"

And then people brought up the only criticism "You literally made a game where you can't not use white phosphorous against civilians and then bitched us out for it."

And the devs were like "Ahhh you could have walked away at any time, so uh, it's still a deep statement! Or something! Just don't play through the game you bought for 60$!"

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How did you feel about that stupid Spec OPs The Line game people were overpraising over for how deep it was because you have to fend off an attack from generic middle easterners and then the game is like "ACTUALLY THOSE WERE ALL CIVILIANS YOU SICK gently caress! I BET YOU FEEL LIKE A BIG PIECE OF poo poo NOW!"

And then people brought up the only criticism "You literally made a game where you can't not use white phosphorous against civilians and then bitched us out for it."

And the devs were like "Ahhh you could have walked away at any time, so uh, it's still a deep statement! Or something! Just don't play through the game you bought for 60$!"

I love that in commenting on a fairly nuanced post about good/bad decisions and their consequences you managed to deliver just the dullest possible read of a legitimately interesting (and cleverly-delivered) video game story.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

admanb posted:

I love that in commenting on a fairly nuanced post about good/bad decisions and their consequences you managed to deliver just the dullest possible read of a legitimately interesting (and cleverly-delivered) video game story.

I actually refunded the game at that point. After the poo poo I had seen in real life, I was not going to be a party to it in a game.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
In industry news: No more A Thousand Thousand Islands.

Zedeck: https://cohost.org/zedecksiew/post/1977950-statement-regarding
Mun Kao: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/centaurgames/reach-of-the-roach-god-part-of-a-thousand-thousand-islands/posts/3844724

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It's not clear that there will be no more ATTI. It's clear that that's what Zedeck wants, but he doesn't seem to have the power to actually make that happen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How did you feel about that stupid Spec OPs The Line game people were overpraising

Never played it. Don't think I've even heard of it, to be honest. I generally have no interest in that genre of wargame. Bit too real for me. But "you can't avoid doing war crimes" doesn't sound like a fun time anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah I generally think games should be better about content warnings, and have them available without purchasing the game. especially in situations where like you can't easily avoid the specific content,

I enjoyed Spec-Ops it was trying something different in an era where very little coming out of the mainstream space was trying to do anything like it.

It had it's flaws. It was really dumb that if you do actually pick up on what the game was trying to get you to do it won't let you proceed without doing the bad thing and then saying lmao you did this bad thing you should feel bad, which is always one of my pet peeves about these types of games, as if there is any choice involved.

But generally respect the attempt, at trying to do something other than every other military shooter out at the time.

Leperflesh posted:

Never played it. Don't think I've even heard of it, to be honest. I generally have no interest in that genre of wargame. Bit too real for me. But "you can't avoid doing war crimes" doesn't sound like a fun time anyway.

It's interesting, if you ever get bored I do recommend reading some crit/write ups on the game.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 11, 2023

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not clear that there will be no more ATTI. It's clear that that's what Zedeck wants, but he doesn't seem to have the power to actually make that happen.
That's fair. But Mun Kao's framed the current situation as the outcome of trying to negotiate the right to use the name/project and also made a point to affirm that Zedeck might own the name, making it sound like they don't think they have the right to use it without Zedeck's permission. Who knows?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dexo posted:

I enjoyed Spec-Ops it was trying something different in an era where very little coming out of the mainstream space was trying to do anything like it.

It had it's flaws. It was really dumb that if you do actually pick up on what the game was trying to get you to do it won't let you proceed without doing the bad thing and then saying lmao you did this bad thing you should feel bad, which is always one of my pet peeves about these types of games, as if there is any choice involved.

But generally respect the attempt, at trying to do something other than every other military shooter out at the time.

It's interesting, if you ever get bored I do recommend reading some crit/write ups on the game.

:yeah:

It's also got some of my favorite use of intentionally insane video game geometry, where you keep going down and down and down in ways that make less and less sense as the game goes on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel Spec Ops gets misunderstood a bit given there seems to be a theme that the protagonist of the game is the one continually choosing to do horrible poo poo and acting like he has no choice even when it goes directly against his actual mission.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Roadie posted:

:yeah:

It's also got some of my favorite use of intentionally insane video game geometry, where you keep going down and down and down in ways that make less and less sense as the game goes on.
It also does a legitimately good job of using color in a time where other military shooters really weren't in order to help set itself apart. The interiors of buildings are lush environments, especially when you get to the Dubai aquarium, but even in the wreckage and misery of the streets the game uses a lot of blues and purples and yellows and reds in a time of either realism mud brown or realism faded green.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Far Cry 3 came out a couple months after Spec Ops and did the same thing but better, but that's not really saying much. Pointing out how violent and cuh-razy video game violence while you just keep on doing it with no choice is not very interesting because the game still has to do exactly what it criticizes to be engaging.

Pretty much every AA+ mil shooter was textually against US war in the middle east, by 2011 it's not some new and nuanced statement, it's actually kinda stupid.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hotline Miami did all of this but in a good game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: Hotline Miami 1 does infact own tho yes.

Panzeh posted:

Pretty much every AA+ mil shooter was textually against US war in the middle east, by 2011 it's not some new and nuanced statement, it's actually kinda stupid.

This is like factually not true lol

Unless you think like the CoD's and BF's are textually against war. While glorifying hard men who make hard decisions.

Also Far Cry 3 while imo a significantly better game, I don't think is anywhere near as narratively interesting as Spec Ops.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what i found most annoying about spec ops was that the tone of the discussion around it seemed to center around it being an important lesson to like, FPS gamers. it came off as one of those works of "satire" that people like because they don't think it's targeted toward themselves, so it doesn't make them uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It's 2023 and Spec Ops' "You may not have wanted things to turn out this way but they did and you have to deal with it" still pisses people off like it's a /v/ thread, incredible.

Nobody in Dubai wanted to be a baby-killing villain. Not Delta Force, not the 33rd, not the CIA agents, and sure as poo poo not the poor Afghan workers and local survivors. The real villains are long gone and you can't ever touch them. But good intentions alone don't make you a hero. I find it an interesting plot, and I think making things yet another Mass Effect-esque "save the puppy/disembowel the puppy and spray the guts with pepper spray" bundle of decisions would've turned it into... a Mass Effect clone, the power fantasy of "MY choices are objectively correct."