Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
its just gonna be a serfdom of computer touchers + PMCs

some guy is gonna control a few counties becuz he knows how to do plumbing

err has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Hubbert posted:

Hello, and welcome to the third iteration of the Apocalytic Raider Warband Auditions: Settlement Edition.

Please describe (1) your Ideal Doomstead, and (2) how things will ultimately fall apart.

(1) an inexhaustible supply of livestock that i can frantically try to harvest for insulin
(2) trampled to death by livestock and eaten by pigs before i even run out of synthetic insulin

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
making my serfs run on the treadmill to power my pc so I can play diablo 2 offline

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i will join the commune in the grocery store and someone will bash in my brains in the cheese section during a disagreement over water purification tablets

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DrBobBullard/status/1678558789954416641?s=20

https://twitter.com/DScheberle/status/1678559822235709440?s=20

quote:

Phoenix could break the record for consecutive days above 110 degrees as a result. The city has been above 110 degrees for 10 consecutive days and could break the record of 19 days next Tuesday.
More than 40 million people are under heat alerts from California to Florida on Monday.
Temperatures around Phoenix will struggle to drop below 90 degrees some nights, which can be deadly for those without air conditioning. Cooler temperatures overnight help to cool our bodies and recover from the heat. With temperatures staying hot overnight, heat stress and heat exhaustion will set in much faster.

Fuck You And Diebold has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Jul 11, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
how many gigawatts is phoenix consuming per day

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Xaris posted:

how many gigawatts is phoenix consuming per day

enough for the diablo canyon nuclear facility to continue operation well into the collapse

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

shh. shh. it'll be over soon. shh.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yore right. He should ruthlessly exploit his community for maximum profit insted. Very smart post from communist forum
The Communism Understander has logged in.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

hvac tech will be the computer toucher of the near future

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

shh. shh. it'll be over soon. shh.

The earth is holding a pillow over our heads

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

do it

its good for u

alligator people are the future

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I think earth is laughing at us rather then screaming.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol at our enlightened centrists already finding ways to blame "Doomers" rather than the companies and governments belching carbon into the environment

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

lol at our enlightened centrists already finding ways to blame "Doomers" rather than the companies and governments belching carbon into the environment

the only sensible, adult, non-doomer thing to do about climate change is to vote and recycle, apparently

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Florida people are gonna turn into Fallout ghouls far before collapse even happens

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
ANOTHER SCORCHER

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Potato Salad posted:

I always expect it... but its sooner than expected.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Wheeee posted:

hvac tech will be the computer toucher of the near future
Wow sucks I’m a loving idiot at anything mechanical.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Koirhor posted:

ANOTHER SCORCHER

that stupid commercial will occupy space in my brain until the day i die

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Koirhor posted:

ANOTHER SCORCHER

I'll call now

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Koirhor posted:

ANOTHER SCORCHER

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

that stupid commercial will occupy space in my brain until the day i die

seriously i must have heard it hundreds of times growing up its more hard coded into my brain than the lords prayer is

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

i'll call tobday!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

i'll call tobday!

Youll call now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I know we don't do image spam probes anymore but I really need this one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bedpan posted:

I'll call now

i will call you later!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
drat you people

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cat botherer posted:

The Communism Understander has logged in.

My post isn't about communism, it's about communists. RCP

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Relax
Climate
Posters

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

2. food becomes increasingly more scarce as trucks stop coming and there's nothing in the grocery store except for toothbrushes and party supplies and poo poo

this is going to be a weird few years when it happens

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

The supply chain breakdowns over the last few years made it obvious that logistics are probably going to break in some pretty strange and unpredictable ways. I bet we're a long way off (like, maybe a decade) from legitimately empty grocery stores, but random poo poo is just going to vanish and things are going to get stranger if disappearing variety leads to panic buying and hoarding.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

The Oldest Man posted:

If the treats run out then the only thing left is barbarism. people live and die by what they consume, take that away and they’ll regress into animals. heat + no food = rapid fuckin ape brain takes over. ppl already do mass shootings over culture war bs they got mad about online, just imagine what happens when material conditions start to actually affect them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The supply chain breakdowns over the last few years made it obvious that logistics are probably going to break in some pretty strange and unpredictable ways. I bet we're a long way off (like, maybe a decade) from legitimately empty grocery stores, but random poo poo is just going to vanish and things are going to get stranger if disappearing variety leads to panic buying and hoarding.

Yeah "empty" is not where people are going to start to notice. When key crop failures in significant amounts that isn't just going to mean prices going haywire but either due to lack of profitability or orders for inputs going unfulfilled, production lines actually halt for wide swathes of food products - particularly heavily processed prepared stuff that people believe gets made in a factory on the moon that has no connection to the climate.

Each American consumes something like 200 lbs of sweeteners annually right now and corn-based sweeteners are half of that, primarily because of price. So a major corn crop failure wouldn't just mean a price spike on sweeteners, it potentially means everybody in the market fighting for what's left, production lines halting because their usual suppliers can't fulfill orders, and cost shocks driving a lot of marginal producers out of business entirely. I have no doubt Nestle is going to survive that (at least for a while) and they will get KitKats back on shelves but a grocery store in a world without cheap sugar substitutes (even in the short term) is going to look empty because like the entire middle part of the store is filled with products that all use those sweeteners.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

biceps crimes posted:

post-collapse homesteading is pure fantasy. I need a different type of copium

learn the digging ways of the mighty mole and live in luxury amongst the dirt

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://youtu.be/4PYt0SDnrBE

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I think before that happens maybe most companies just decide not to use sweeteners in their products and have Americans withdrawal off sugar rather than sacrifice profits. Some supply chain issues happened to my favorite brand of chili, Nalley Valley, and they adjusted by watering it down and changing recipe. Still isn’t the same a year later but it’s still the best. I eat 4-6 chili dogs a week sometimes up to 8-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Soggy Muffin posted:

I eat 4-6 chili dogs a week sometimes up to 8-10

good golly miss molly