Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’m Rick Rude. Only without the physique. Or the hair. But I could definitely pull off the mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Rick Rude, Tom Zenk, Brady Boone, Nikita Koloff, Curt Hennig, John Nord, and Barry Darsow all went to high school together

I think Rick Rude also worked with the Road Warriors bouncing at the same bar

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For a long time the Plane Ride from Hell was regarded as a wild time where fun was had by all and a lot of the uglier poo poo hadn’t come out yet. Then some of the details were revealed and WWE decided to do an episode of their short-lived cartoon about it that portrayed Flair as this delightful rascal that was just playing a few pranks. It wasn’t really until the Dark Side of the Ring episode that they started treating it as a bad thing and that was only after the backlash. Flair was still sexually assaulting women on live television until just a few years ago.

The story Flair told on WWE Story Time took place in 1986, the Plane Ride from Hell was 2002. Being as charitable as possible to Ric and the story he told, its possible there were some ladies that asked to see him in only his robe when he was 37 and then he tried to make it happen again at age 53 but nobody was asking that time. Or he made the whole thing up. Or he "remembered" it wrong because he's very full of himself.

Either way, the stories are very similar (I wouldn't put it past Ric to have a "go to" move) and WWE pulled the episode of the cartoon after Dark Side of the Ring.

BTW, WWE Story Time was usually decent if you take things with a grain of salt. Jake the Snake was probably the best storyteller and his animated snake was adorable.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

As someone who was abruptly exposed the the WWE with no frame of reference or friend to guide me, I find it enthrallingly over the top- But immensely overwhelming. There's over 40 years of lore behind modern wrestling, and I don't have a clue where to start. I thought choosing one wrestler and learning their story would be a good introduction, but Doink the Clown was a poor choice for depth (although very entertaining).

All the historical records of the fat man opera are locked behind a paywall, and poorly organized.

Where do I begin? Where do I go from there?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Busters posted:

As someone who was abruptly exposed the the WWE with no frame of reference or friend to guide me, I find it enthrallingly over the top- But immensely overwhelming. There's over 40 years of lore behind modern wrestling, and I don't have a clue where to start. I thought choosing one wrestler and learning their story would be a good introduction, but Doink the Clown was a poor choice for depth (although very entertaining).

All the historical records of the fat man opera are locked behind a paywall, and poorly organized.

just walk away

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

just walk away

It's too late. I have heard the mighty meaty man slaps. I've born witness to the blatant botches. I've looked into the eyes of the sweaty beast and cannot turn back.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Apologies to Gavok because the dude I'm recommending put him on blast for no apparent reason in a video (actually p funny)

but the Wrestling Bios youtube channel does a great job of providing background info on various wrestler's careers, events, notable incidents and the like, the "Reliving the War" playlist does a week by week recap comparing Raw and Nitro during the Monday Night War

https://www.youtube.com/@WrestlingBios

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Busters posted:

As someone who was abruptly exposed the the WWE

I got about here before I realized you weren't talking about Ric Flair.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

You have to start with the Rock and Wrestling cartoon and episodes of Superstars where Animotion’s Obsession is the theme song.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Busters posted:

You could bring up certain things you're curious about and I could tell you their chronological order and if they intertwine with anything that also needs to be known, like say, how the choice one wrestler made in 1998 resulted in a wrestling company being formed in 2002.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly you should just read a book about Vince McMahon or listen to the 6 episodes Behind The Bastards did about him and then think for a good long while about if this is really what you want to do.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

Apologies to Gavok because the dude I'm recommending put him on blast for no apparent reason in a video (actually p funny)

but the Wrestling Bios youtube channel does a great job of providing background info on various wrestler's careers, events, notable incidents and the like, the "Reliving the War" playlist does a week by week recap comparing Raw and Nitro during the Monday Night War

https://www.youtube.com/@WrestlingBios

gently caress that guy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Never heard of Wrestling Bios. What's the problem with them?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Busters posted:

It's too late. I have heard the mighty meaty man slaps.

You already understand the important thing. Large men slapping the bejesus out of each other is the peak of Pro Wrestling

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Busters posted:

While it's not for everyone's taste, I would recommend giving a listen to "The NXT Wrestling Fan" on Podbean and other podcast hosts. It covers NXT week by week from 2013-2015, starting with the debut of Samy Zayn at NXT.

Pros: The premise of the show is a well-versed fan introducing a neophyte to Pro-Wrestling and discussing the show as a narrative structure.

Con: The show can go on tangents that aren't everyone's tastes. As an example: there's a pop-quiz about upcoming shows, and whenever the new fan gets five points, they do an episode on a romance novel.

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/nhepj-e3841/The-NXT-Wrestling-Fan-Podcast

EDIT: One side-perk is that I think the 2013 episodes of NXT can be followed on Hulu.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 11, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vandar posted:

Never heard of Wrestling Bios. What's the problem with them?

A while back, I did an article on Undertaker feuds and I mentioned how one of his opponents Charles Wright (Godfather/Papa Shango/Kama) was really bad in the ring, especially during his MMA Kama gimmick. During one of Wrestling Bios' videos, he did a tangent about said article and how I was being disrespectful to a legendary wrestler or whatever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Busters posted:

Mick Foley. His matches are fun to watch, and they run the gamut from insane japanese deathmatches to bog standard WCW and WWF bouts. He was also the first wrestler to write a completely kayfabe-free autobiography during the end of the monday night wars.

His first book is written with an understanding that the reader might now know the entire history of pro wrestling and he essentially provides an entire summary of the industry from 1980-1999 when the book was published. His career basically traces the change in wrestling from entirely regional promotions to 2 and then 1 national promotion and a bunch of smaller ones. It is entertaining to read and is a fun story even if one is not a wrestling diehard, or even a wrestling fan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Busters posted:

Something you might enjoy is watching a handful of Royal Rumbles from throughout the years. There are only a scant few bad ones and they're a fun time capsule of the roster and overall company tone at any given year. WWE has over a dozen up on their YouTube channel.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Busters posted:

First reply nailed it. You should find a hobby that's more socially acceptable and less likely to depress you or funnel your money to horrible human beings. Maybe get into fentanyl?

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like there's a bunch of podcasts to check out. I've already watched the Rick Flair Royal rumble where he's in there for nearly the full hour. more of those seems like a good idea for understanding the roster and power struggles through the years.

And after watching Doink, who's so kayfabe, the character outlived the wrestler, watching Mick Foley is probably a great idea to get a more grounded sense of the sport.

Ultimately I've decided just to listen to the entire discography of 'Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band' on a loop, till my skin turns orange. That's all anyone needs.

Busters fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 11, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Busters posted:

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like there's a bunch of podcasts to check out. I've already watched the Rick Flair Royal rumble where he's in there for nearly the full hour. more of those seems like a good idea for understanding the roster and power struggles through the years.

And after watching Doink, who's so kayfabe, the character outlived the wrestler, watching Mick Foley is probably a great idea to get a more grounded sense of the sport.

Ultimately I've decided just to listen to the entire discography of 'Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band' on a loop, till my skin turns orange. That's all anyone needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmkeTKFD57E

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Mick Foley. His matches are fun to watch, and they run the gamut from insane japanese deathmatches to bog standard WCW and WWF bouts. He was also the first wrestler to write a completely kayfabe-free autobiography during the end of the monday night wars.

His first book is written with an understanding that the reader might now know the entire history of pro wrestling and he essentially provides an entire summary of the industry from 1980-1999 when the book was published. His career basically traces the change in wrestling from entirely regional promotions to 2 and then 1 national promotion and a bunch of smaller ones. It is entertaining to read and is a fun story even if one is not a wrestling diehard, or even a wrestling fan.

+1 for this, great read

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

If you dont have this album you don’t know hip hop.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Gavok posted:

A while back, I did an article on Undertaker feuds and I mentioned how one of his opponents Charles Wright (Godfather/Papa Shango/Kama) was really bad in the ring, especially during his MMA Kama gimmick. During one of Wrestling Bios' videos, he did a tangent about said article and how I was being disrespectful to a legendary wrestler or whatever.

why don't you settle this feud in the ring?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I disrespected charles wright, and I'm sorry... sorry I didn't do it sooner!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
how could the supreme fighting machine be a bad wrestler? how dare you

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

you want to go to war, wrestling bios, you want a war? you're gonna get one

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
watching the Darkside of the Ring episode on the Von Erichs and it's amazing how different the tone is from when Behind the Bastards covered the same ground

BtB was like "Fritz Von Erich had this bullheaded idea in mind that the whole family were all were going to be great wrestlers and he pushed his children past the limits of what any human being could handle. he was pretty much directly responsible for all of the tragedy that befell his family with the sole exception of the first kid that died. he insisted the boys make booked dates at the expense of their health, he made one of them walk around on a still-healing severed foot just so no one would know he lost it- he destroyed those boys. Fritz Von Erich was a worse father than Chris Benoit"

Darkside is like "it's such a tragedy. they were real american heroes. 'no way to prevent this' says only family where this regularly happens"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

spaceblancmange posted:

why don't you settle this feud in the ring?

I don't know what that guy even looks like. What if he's like 6'8" and jacked? No thank you.

Cubone posted:

watching the Darkside of the Ring episode on the Von Erichs and it's amazing how different the tone is from when Behind the Bastards covered the same ground

BtB was like "Fritz Von Erich had this bullheaded idea in mind that the whole family were all were going to be great wrestlers and he pushed his children past the limits of what any human being could handle. he was pretty much directly responsible for all of the tragedy that befell his family with the sole exception of the first kid that died. he insisted the boys make booked dates at the expense of their health, he made one of them walk around on a still-healing severed foot just so no one would know he lost it- he destroyed those boys. Fritz Von Erich was a worse father than Chris Benoit"

Darkside is like "it's such a tragedy. they were real american heroes. 'no way to prevent this' says only family where this regularly happens"

I'm so interested in that Von Erichs movie with Zac Effron.

But yeah, it reminds me of how WWE made two different Ultimate Warrior documentaries and they're as different as night and day. One from when he refused to be part of it and one from after he had shown up, made amends with Vince, then died a day later.

poo poo, should I do an Ultimate Warrior effortpost?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was another documentary recently that was a positive portrayal but still included the video where he was losing his poo poo because he had to film an apology after yelling at a kid.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Gavok posted:

The Godfather was not a legendary wrestler

However, his entrance theme is top tier ngl

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cubone posted:

If Darkside had gone the "Fritz was a monster" route, Kevin Von Erich (and likely some of the others at the table with him) wouldn't have done it. Like a lot of abusers, Fritz hosed up his victims' minds to where they still have fond memories of him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was another documentary recently that was a positive portrayal but still included the video where he was losing his poo poo because he had to film an apology after yelling at a kid.

Warrior has four different documentaries as far as I know (two WWE ones, Dark Side of the Ring, A&E Biography). I kind of want to watch them all and do a comparison piece.

The Warrior moment that always sticks with me is after Randy Savage died. Hogan did an interview or two where he made the dubious claim that he and Savage made amends in his final days, but also discussed his complicated relationship with the guy. This meant talking about Savage's rage problems, especially when it came to his awful treatment of Elizabeth. He wasn't wrong, but the body was still warm and it's Hogan trying to make himself look good in the aftermath of a dude dying, so it's also kind of messed up.

Savage was one of Warrior's few genuine friends in the business, so he was pissed. He posted an hour long rant on YouTube (long gone) about Hogan being a piece of poo poo. And I was all for it because while Warrior was an rear end in a top hat, Hogan was also an rear end in a top hat and it was going to be cathartic to see someone who had good reason to hate Hogan just angrily running him down for a while. The thing is, by the time Warrior was done with his rant, I actually thought Hogan came out of it looking like the better person than Warrior and Savage. Mainly because Warrior DEFENDED Savage's controlling, abusive treatment of Elizabeth as absolutely necessary. What the gently caress?

On the other hand, Warrior did end his rant by comparing Hogan to the cheese from Diary of a Wimpy Kid, so that's something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that the video where Warrior puts a music track to him telling Hogan "I bet I'm the only guy that said no to doing your wife"?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That sounds bonkers enough that I should remember it, so probably not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gavok posted:

That sounds bonkers enough that I should remember it, so probably not.

I feel like with wrestling there's so much bonkers that a lot of it is easy to forget.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a story i think from one of bret hart's books about the ultimate warrior refusing to see a make a wish kid waiting outside the locker room despite the fact the kid was on very limited time warrior may have been one of the biggest assholes in the entire wrestling business and the wwe making him the face of their cancer charity is very funny because of the time he mocked bobby heenan for having cancer

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gavok posted:

poo poo, should I do an Ultimate Warrior effortpost?

Well you do now, brother! warrior!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a story i think from one of bret hart's books about the ultimate warrior refusing to see a make a wish kid waiting outside the locker room despite the fact the kid was on very limited time warrior may have been one of the biggest assholes in the entire wrestling business and the wwe making him the face of their cancer charity is very funny because of the time he mocked bobby heenan for having cancer

Is this the same instance where they tried to film an apology video, but Warrior couldn't get through it because "it's bullshit!" All while Vince is sighing and saying "it's a work, Jim!" off camera?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Well you do now, brother! warrior!

Is this the same instance where they tried to film an apology video, but Warrior couldn't get through it because "it's bullshit!" All while Vince is sighing and saying "it's a work, Jim!" off camera?

that was a different child warrior had to apologize to lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I like how Bret points out in this anecdote that Warrior was "too busy" talking to the people he hated too so it's not like he was doing something he liked to begin with. Just an absolute POS.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that was a different child warrior had to apologize to lol

Yeah, this one was for a child in an airport he told to gently caress off or something similar who wanted an autograph. It turned out the kid was the child of someone associated with the broadcasting network they were on so Warrior had to do a video apology.