Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

I hope they don't. I love all the whining about it on reddit.

I don't really mind since I haven't completed a relic since Anima nerfed and it's much faster to just farm tomes each step than Eureka stuff which I avoided all the way. The only thing I don't really interact with is the IS since I dislike clicking on everything so RIP all exclusive glams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm currently suffering my way through a Resistance weapon so I'm not in a big hurry for a huge grind for Hildy weapons

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I finished the Anima grind a couple weeks ago and, yeah, if the Manderville weapons stay as pure tome dumps, fine with me

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They've outright said that the Manderville Weapons are tome dumps this expansion and nothing else already.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kheldarn posted:

I think all Jobs should have an AOE attack by Level 15.

i have been saying this forever

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Awesome! posted:

i have been saying this forever

sounds like you want homogenised jobs !!!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I think people seem to ignore that the Manderville Weapons are tome dumps and also you have to commit yourself to completing the entire Manderville sidequest, which many people have done but isn't like, trivial if you're doing it from the jump. Lotta goofy content to clear! Though obviously your second, third relic etc. are just tome sinks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lines posted:

I think people seem to ignore that the Manderville Weapons are tome dumps and also you have to commit yourself to completing the entire Manderville sidequest, which many people have done but isn't like, trivial if you're doing it from the jump. Lotta goofy content to clear! Though obviously your second, third relic etc. are just tome sinks.

Considering that goons typically love Hildibrand, you might be onto something about this thread having a biased sample.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Considering that goons typically love Hildibrand, you might be onto something about this thread having a biased sample.

Yeah I mean I also love Hildibrand but I'm posting here on the SomethingAwful forums, it's me, I am the problem. But for your average Jill Finalfantasy who picked the game up mid-Shadowbringers - well, I don't know what the stats are, but I would be prepared to guess that in fact by and large she hadn't previously done Hildibrand. Like the Tataru's Grand Adventure content, it seems they are trying to incentivise players to go and complete old content.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
If you don’t like Hildibrand you can gently caress off with the complaints

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There were a lot of people doing HW hildi the same time I was because the Hildi weapons had just dropped or info on them had made clear you needed to do the quests for them. It seemed like most of them were on board, there were a lot of gentlemanly dressers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, a very weirdly specific question: would there be some way, in any potential online tool, to look for specific character creator settings for NPCs?

I've realized a particular fully-armored NPC has weirdly specific character creator settings, to a point where I feel like they might've been copied over from another NPC, but the only way I can think of to check that would be to check every single NPC against them in Garland Tools, which would definitely be way more difficult than it's worth to satisfy just a minor curiosity.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Cleretic posted:

So, a very weirdly specific question: would there be some way, in any potential online tool, to look for specific character creator settings for NPCs?

I've realized a particular fully-armored NPC has weirdly specific character creator settings, to a point where I feel like they might've been copied over from another NPC, but the only way I can think of to check that would be to check every single NPC against them in Garland Tools, which would definitely be way more difficult than it's worth to satisfy just a minor curiosity.

anamnesis

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Zenos.

Zenos this is not how you use a glamour dresser.

e: New reaction image found.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 11, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Does that actually allow you to search for a match, or do you just think I want to take the guy's helmet off? I doubt just taking off a helmet will provide some great revelation.

The character that's got me thinking about this is Fray, which might help explain what I want. Fray's so beloved that I know that if they were a clone of someone like Jenlyns and immediately recognizable once you take off the helmet, someone would've already noticed and probably crafted some elaborate theory around it. So I'm hoping there's instead some way I can do 'search for same face', that way I could pick up if they're a clone of someone completely pedestrian and unnoticeable.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Obtaining Manderville relics is really boring right now with them requiring Lesser Tomestones but it's also going to be hilarious when the next expansion comes. Oh, don't mind me, just doing Bozja and/or Eureka while also farming fistfuls of Poetics to be used for EW Relics. It's funny how Eureka I ironically becomes the best place to get as many Poetics as you could ever want or need. Funny, and relieving, as it makes me glad to know that content will never die.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cleretic posted:

Does that actually allow you to search for a match, or do you just think I want to take the guy's helmet off? I doubt just taking off a helmet will provide some great revelation.

The character that's got me thinking about this is Fray, which might help explain what I want. Fray's so beloved that I know that if they were a clone of someone like Jenlyns and immediately recognizable once you take off the helmet, someone would've already noticed and probably crafted some elaborate theory around it. So I'm hoping there's instead some way I can do 'search for same face', that way I could pick up if they're a clone of someone completely pedestrian and unnoticeable.

Garland Tools gives you the information you need to recreate NPCs in the character creator as much as possible. Here's my rough approximation of Fray:

though he has a skin color that is impossible to actually put on a hyur midlander to create that totally black void effect

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blockhouse posted:

Garland Tools gives you the information you need to recreate NPCs in the character creator as much as possible. Here's my rough approximation of Fray:

though he has a skin color that is impossible to actually put on a hyur midlander to create that totally black void effect

Kind of disappointed he isn't another John Finalfantasy, although he could pass for the teen heartthrob version

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, I can tell by piecing it together myself, and honestly, he looks exactly like what I'd imagine Fray would look like. Although I sort of assumed he'd look older, not because I don't read Fray as the sort of edgy teen who thinks he knows better than everyone that I get from this face, but more because I kind of assumed they'd have wanted him to seem more like a grizzled warrior who's Seen Some poo poo. This kid doesn't even look like he's seen a shaving razor.

It's just that I look at that and go 'why would they have given a specific face like this to a character that never takes off their helmet instead of just sticking to a generic 'all options at presets'. And my first theory is basically that they copy-pasted from somewhere, so I was hoping there was a way to search NPCs for particular facial features to see if that had legs. If there's not, then this is something so small then it's not even worth the effort to check, but if there were an easy way to search for that then I thought it'd be fun if I could dig up 'hey it turns out Fray is this random chocobokeep'.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dareon posted:

e: New reaction image found.

this has been making the rounds for awhile

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean remember that real Fray was a guy around Sid’s age. They grew up together.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

lines posted:

Yeah I mean I also love Hildibrand but I'm posting here on the SomethingAwful forums, it's me, I am the problem. But for your average Jill Finalfantasy who picked the game up mid-Shadowbringers - well, I don't know what the stats are, but I would be prepared to guess that in fact by and large she hadn't previously done Hildibrand. Like the Tataru's Grand Adventure content, it seems they are trying to incentivise players to go and complete old content.

So... like what previous relic grinds were trying to do.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Namnesor posted:

So... like what previous relic grinds were trying to do.

Quite so.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
But because now it's amusing content with actual story attached, it's just a dumb grind with no challenge.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ if i knew doh quests were this much better after HW i woulda pushed through years ago. gently caress ilvl squishes and blu updates how about going back and fixing up these loving ARR HW quests

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dareon posted:

But because now it's amusing content with actual story attached, it's just a dumb grind with no challenge.

The actual relic quest has about as much story content as they always do and the previous relic also had unique specific content attached to them. Hell, the ShB did that and the classic style of letting you do old content in various ways at the same time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Robo Reagan posted:

jesus christ if i knew doh quests were this much better after HW i woulda pushed through years ago. gently caress ilvl squishes and blu updates how about going back and fixing up these loving ARR HW quests

Yeah, the quests are MUCH more bearable when it's just "Here's the Raw McGuffin, turn it into a Completed McGuffin, take as long as you need, we have infinite spare parts." instead of needing a bunch of pain in the rear end mats.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

the_steve posted:

Yeah, the quests are MUCH more bearable when it's just "Here's the Raw McGuffin, turn it into a Completed McGuffin, take as long as you need, we have infinite spare parts." instead of needing a bunch of pain in the rear end mats.

The first time I did one of those, and screwed it up, and they just said, "Here, try again!", my reaction was, "Wait... what?" followed by, "This is great! Why aren't the others like this?"

As stated, they really need to go back and make the older ones work like this.

Then again, they also need to go back to ARR Hunts, and remove FATE bosses from them...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
And in ShB/EW they go right back to "now bring your own mats again lol and lmao", but also you only get three questlines instead of eight.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You're right, I do need to visit my little goldsmiths and see how they're doing

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

And in ShB/EW they go right back to "now bring your own mats again lol and lmao", but also you only get three questlines instead of eight.

i dont mind those as much because of the huge chunk of xp and scrips. plus they mostly learned their lesson with needing to visit every loving expansion for mats

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Yep Garland Tools usually has everything for an NPC.

What it won't show is when a character uses custom parts, for example it lists most Garleans as Elezen because that's the body they use.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cleared P12S p1, cleared Caloric 1, fun times.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the best idea they had for a relic step was stat allocation for anima weapons. the actual execution isn't great (the gently caress you mean I need three separate non-guranteed drops from 2.x extreme primals for one crystal sand) but giving you a list of different items you could turn in for progress was neat. nowadays you just blast white scrips but I think the step should come back for some other weapon.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why give options when there's one right answer? (Stat allocation specifically, not paths to completion)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sentient Data posted:

Why give options when there's one right answer? (Stat allocation specifically, not paths to completion)

Becauae there's isn't always just one. In StB for example there were two endgame builds for SAM, the classic crit focused one or the funny haha skill speed build. The issue was while the latter was more damage it ate through tp faster than you could regen it which could be mitigated if you had day...a NIN or BRD or AST in your party.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sam still has multiple end-game builds based on what you want your GCD to be. But also the answer to stat allocation is going to be Crit a solid 80% of the time at this point I believe.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't raid or do current crafting so the fact that anyone cares about stats always surprises me, they've never been relevant to me in four years in playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lines posted:

How many times have YOU guys heard "yeah I'm through to the Heavensward part of the Manderville quests. The resort thing." ARR Hildibrand is very dense and people try to push through thinking "I need to be to the end by now right".

E: To clarify, the quests are GOOD but there's a lot going on and something about the slapstick is particularly exhausting when some folks start doing too much at a time.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 11, 2023