Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

So I am currently trying necromancer and was doing a shadowblight build sans pets to see how fast I could drown enemies in aoes, only to learn a lot of things recently: Decompose isn't affected by attack speed (and kind of sucks for it), blight and blighted corpse explosion do not count as damage over time, and the ticks on them can't crit apparently. I've got vulnerable from corpse tentacles, but other than stacking that and straight damage from +skill and int what options can I look for to gear up? I love the concept for this build but I'm afraid I'm likely to dumpster it and so I'm not really sure how to keep Shadowblight AND have a build that doesn't lock me out of a bunch of stats on gear. Anyone else tried this type of Necro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Verviticus posted:

a mind-boggling number of people just run around and open the first chest they see

I mean, until you manage to stumble across one theres literally no indication that theres a super secret special type of chest that makes all the other ones obsolete. So it's pretty understandable really.

The mystery chests are kind of dumb imo. They're split weirdly. They should either get rid of them and buff the regular slot-specific ones, or just get rid of the regular ones entirely.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
They should keep both. The regular ones are useful for grabbing specific uniques now and can be done after you do all the mystery chests for the hour

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
For lagchat, on Series S over wifi with good down and questionable up I’ve definitely hit regular spikes. I never turned off crossplay cause I can’t since I play with people on other platforms lol.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

oh thats true I haven't actually played since they added uniques to the chest drops. Before though they were literally just a noob trap to waste cinders on. Maybe if the mysteries were actually randomised across the whole set of chests, or randomised locations for each player they'd be more interesting. The way its set up currently is just kind of dull design imo.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Syrnn posted:

So I am currently trying necromancer and was doing a shadowblight build sans pets to see how fast I could drown enemies in aoes, only to learn a lot of things recently: Decompose isn't affected by attack speed (and kind of sucks for it), blight and blighted corpse explosion do not count as damage over time, and the ticks on them can't crit apparently. I've got vulnerable from corpse tentacles, but other than stacking that and straight damage from +skill and int what options can I look for to gear up? I love the concept for this build but I'm afraid I'm likely to dumpster it and so I'm not really sure how to keep Shadowblight AND have a build that doesn't lock me out of a bunch of stats on gear. Anyone else tried this type of Necro?

I don't run this kind of build specifically, but I'm running a bit similar with:
+ Decompose
+ Blight
+ Bone Prison with Blight Pool Aspect
+ Corpse Explosion
* Reaper Skellies
* Shadow Mages
* Iron Golem

I think the blight/bone prison help with mobility and zoning mobs. I can drop pools and keep ticks up wile on the move, and then spam corpse explosion as necessary which is my primary source of big AoE damage.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Got a perfect roll aspect of exposed flesh off the morb vendor, + deathless visage oh god the damage output

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If you’re playing on Wi-Fi, you’re doomed to experiencing lag.
What on earth

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I've only seen rubberbanding on wifi when the servers were getting ddosed. Have wandered around my house/backyard using the steamdeck to play and its been very smooth outside of the 2-3 reported DDOS the last month. I guess it could be a poo poo wifi signal but my routers 5 years old at this point and does fine.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I am on PC and have 1gb symmetrical connection and I'm on Ethernet, every time I TP somewhere I rubber band anywhere from 5-50~ seconds depending on the area, especially in helltide areas. I haven't tried turning off crossplay yet.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Syrnn posted:

I run this type of necro and while dots don't crit, shadowblight procs do, and ‍Offensive Aspect of Decay increases those procs. You also want to run Reap for the additional corpses it generates, and bone storm for the crits there as well. Also run Decrepify instead of decompose. Howl from Below uniques make this build shine as well.

You want to look for vulnerable %, crit strike chance, cool down reduction, +ranks to corpse explosion and tentacles.

This is basically the Infinimist build, and I started running it at level 50, beat the world tier 3 capstone at level 54 and this was before I even had all of the aspects or any uniques for the build. Now I'm level 70 and I can do tier 35 nm dungeons solo easily.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Time posted:

They should keep both. The regular ones are useful for grabbing specific uniques now and can be done after you do all the mystery chests for the hour

didn't they undo this change, sorta

d4 hotfix posted:

Helltide Chests will now have the chance to drop any Unique and not be restricted to specific item slot limitations from any chest.

Developer Note: With the above change players will now be able to find Unique items from ALL Helltide Chests. Uber Unique items also have a chance to be found in all chests.

so you can still get them but you can't really farm specific slots, idk

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I keep trying to make a blood lance build work, but man they really nerfed the gently caress out of it. Overpower is not great and I feel like the best way to play blood lance now is to stack crit and use overpowers for attack speed.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

bus hustler posted:

One of the devs was uh... wearing? one during the livestream, it's not just a pun

Reddit comes through, someone posted this new tool D4Craft.com and it rules, I think they've figured out the estimated costs and stuff for rerolling as well as some of the available affixes / odds.

Hey that's the craftofexile folks! Take a look at the Poe one if you wanna see deeper itemization and crafting before going cross-eyed at how hard to grok it is. I like PoE crafting for PoE and I hope d4 moves in that direction with crafting and itemization, but I for sure hope it stays closer to where it is now. It's close to brilliant for what it is and a little more itemization depth will go a long way.

Did my first few helltides and whispers today. Great fun so far. Capstone was very easy as pulverize and I dropped a sacred staff which was a ~50% listed DPS increase with a 120 willpower roll in my first helltide chest. Feels like my armor might lag for a while between aspects and stats I've got, but I did replace my helm and boots with sacred gear.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vic posted:

Every individual zone fragment can be hosted on a different server and you'll be experiencing lag depending on where you're located compared to the server. The most severe lag is gonna be around towns and places where players usually congregate.

That's the first piece of the Star Citizen joke.

Nice joke so far. I can't wait for the next part.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Syrnn posted:

blight and blighted corpse explosion do not count as damage over time
gently caress me, learn something new every day....

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Without knowing the context of the quote at all, I am going to assume that person didn't read the tooltip for Grasping Veins aspect correctly and thus assumes there is a bug with necro crit damage.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i know i’ve asked before but still haven’t found a good place: does anyone know where i can find s listing to see all the transmog items? i’m missing one in each of the armor categories after having unlocked all the pvp armor and i’ve salvaged literally thousands of things at this point so i’m not sure what i’m missing. probably the uber uniques or something but i’d like to know for sure

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alriiiight, I found all the shrines and explored all the map in 3 of the 5 zones, on my Hardcore character.

There's a big jump in minimum level for the next two regions though!! Kekhistan and Hezewater or whatever are both 35-45 minimum in most areas, and I only made it to level 28 from exploring the other regions.

Shrines & Map are the one part of permadeath that I would not be OK with so I might just park this gal until the patch on the 18th.

The 18th patch is when we can 'lock in' our shrine/renown progress by logging in to a character, right? I can do it ahead of the 20th season start date?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The 18th patch is when we can 'lock in' our shrine/renown progress by logging in to a character, right? I can do it ahead of the 20th season start date?

they said anytime after the 18th patch but there's plenty of time for them to mess it up

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alriiiight, I found all the shrines and explored all the map in 3 of the 5 zones, on my Hardcore character.

There's a big jump in minimum level for the next two regions though!! Kekhistan and Hezewater or whatever are both 35-45 minimum in most areas, and I only made it to level 28 from exploring the other regions.

Shrines & Map are the one part of permadeath that I would not be OK with so I might just park this gal until the patch on the 18th.

I think the top three regions are level scaled to 1-50, and the bottom two are scaled for 30-50 with minor variations between individual ones.

Lagchat:
I think console players have their own server farms. Playing on PC w/ friends playing on PS5 I get random minor lags practically all the time while they're saying it's smooth as butter for them. And I live in a city with good internet, am on cable etc.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
big thanks to the folks that suggested setting my network to public + running Cloudflare WARP

I've been playing for a couple hours and haven't disconnected once. still get some rubber banding but that's tolerable. what was really pissing me off was getting completely disconnected which punts you out of dungeons back to town and you lose all your dungeon progress. no way i was gonna keep playing if there was a 50/50 chance for a dungeon run to get cut short.

here's hoping it keeps up. might be worth putting in the OP? disable cross-platform, set network public, Cloudfare WARP.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Vic posted:

Every individual zone fragment can be hosted on a different server and you'll be experiencing lag depending on where you're located compared to the server. The most severe lag is gonna be around towns and places where players usually congregate.

That's the first piece of the Star Citizen joke.

Experienced the worst lag in D4 yesterday during a world boss fight. Everything was just fine, 80ish ping I think, until the second the boss spawned and the ping of almost everyone went to 1000. Seemed like everyone in chat was hit by it except for whoever was hosting. Game probably decided to make a player from New Zealand the host for fun

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was listening to the D4 podcast hosted periodically by wudijo and they were of the idea that:
  • Almost any skill loadout is viable* during the campaign/leveling to 50.
  • Most builds are viable* above 50 as long as you fight monsters at charlevel+3. This means that most builds are viable up to charlevel 100, which is interesting since 50-100 is where the vast majority of the non-casual players will land during a season.
  • Most builds become non-viable when you run fight monsters above charlevel+3. This is mostly relevant since monsters scale up to charlevel+50 in a Nightmare Dungeon T100. Most dedicated players will start running into severe diminishing returns once the skills they are using run out of synergies, either from endgame uniques or paragon board upgrades, until only the builds that have skills that take advantage of this extra power increase will remain usable at the highest tiers.
*viable doesn't mean they all are equally powerful, just that you can technically complete this type of content running this build.

It is interesting to see how certain builds not being as effective as others at the very top tier of the endgame seem to be related to weird design decisions (that are probably going to see reworks in the future?) For example, Overpower damage is not multiplied by Vulnerability for some reason (everything else seems to be, including Thorns damage), making any build that relies primarily on OP as its damage component to deal about 1/4 less damage at the very top tier, even if OP % scales much more than Vuln %.

Another interesting consideration is that certain classes/builds are super powerful when fighting monster at charlevel+3, but then are surpassed hard by other classes/builds when pushing above that. Ice Shard Sorc is the best example, as you'll consistently insta-nuke anything around your charlevel (making it probably the easiest/best build to fight equal level content) but then you'll begin to fall off when fightning monster of considerable level above yours, to the point that it becomes one of the worst builds to bring to a T100 ND.

Finally (and this is something I've heard a lot of people worring about), the Malignant mechanic means losing +750 base armor, which could make a lot of classes/builds non-viable in S1 when running top tier endgame content unless something of equivalent defensive power is introduced to replace it (and then it becomes kind of boring cause you have to slot the defensive hearts if you want not to get one shot by every level85+ elite).

EDIT - it's more of a very long chat, so I don't recommend listening to it unless you need some background chatter, but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PnB2OIUTHE

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 11, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

They should have just made malignant sockets roll on gear that currently doesn't have sockets

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not surprising that when you make one damage type multiplicative while all the others are merely additive, the classes who have the cheapest and easiest ways of sustaining that multiplier are going to excel, given no other inputs. D3 has/had a similar problem with the Bane of the Trapped legendary gem, a separate "bucket" damage multiplier for an effect that will literally always happen unless you specifically go out of your way to avoid it makes for an unexciting choice.

IMHO they should completely rethink the idea of these "damage buckets" in general, there are too many fiddly little categories for what is ultimately the same "do more damage when you use CC spells" effect. More damage when slowed, more damage when frozen, more damage when chilled, more damage past 9pm every second Tuesday of the month, OMG who cares!!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

exquisite tea posted:

It's not surprising that when you make one damage type multiplicative while all the others are merely additive, the classes who have the cheapest and easiest ways of sustaining that multiplier are going to excel, given no other inputs. D3 has/had a similar problem with the Bane of the Trapped legendary gem, a separate "bucket" damage multiplier for an effect that will literally always happen unless you specifically go out of your way to avoid it makes for an unexciting choice.

IMHO they should completely rethink the idea of these "damage buckets" in general, there are too many fiddly little categories for what is ultimately the same "do more damage when you use CC spells" effect. More damage when slowed, more damage when frozen, more damage when chilled, more damage past 9pm every second Tuesday of the month, OMG who cares!!

Yeah it’s weird to me they didn’t just lump some of those in vulnerable or at least let them have chance to proc it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What was the logic behind designing the malignant sockets to replace necessary end-game defensive sockets exclusively? Like, why can't they spawn on an offhand and you forego +crit damage or whatever?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 11, 2023

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would be surprised if the sockets or the malignant hearts did not come with some form of armor on them to compensate for what almost every build i've seen uses jewelry sockets for. at the very least they have to have something so valuable you would forgo the extra armor.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
It might not be an issue if the patch on the 18th addresses resistance issues right? They way they spoke about Resistance in the last dev blog made it sound like that's an issue that's further out fix wise though, so idk.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yes, they said they would get to resistances for season 2 because touching them is too scary to do in the short term.

This is because their excel sheets take too long to update whenever they touch resistances.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't just tack malignant on. Equipment rectangles can fit 2 sockets, jewelry is already limited to 1 socket, just throw the malignant one below it. I refuse to believe that the designers actually want players to be powerful in this video game because if they were, it would "devolve" into Diablo 3 speed running and we can't have that, no siree.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 11, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hearing that is probably the moment I lost a lot of hope in all this, like it's a core game mechanic, the main defensive mechanic for Sorc and they can't be assed to fixed it for months?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

socialsecurity posted:

Hearing that is probably the moment I lost a lot of hope in all this, like it's a core game mechanic, the main defensive mechanic for Sorc and they can't be assed to fixed it for months?

Rogues and Sorcs definitely gonna miss that armor.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The resistances situation is a weird thing, yeah.

They must have balanced the game around the idea that resistances were going to work, meaning that players are taking almost 50% more damage from non-physical sources - which seems to be empyrically correct given that my barb can facetank the T4 Capstone boss but dies in about 3s if I stand in a poison pool.

So it either means that Armor is overperforming compared to their expectations or that the original balance was supposed to be a campaign-like cakewalk all game long. Either way, it's such a massive part of itemization/paragons/builds that it's a weird thing to deprioritize it so much.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hey yall this is not a charity if yall wanted resistances to work you should have ordered the 100$ merch box containing lillith statue and w/e which btw did not include the game and then ordered 100$ worth of cosmetic junk ultimate edition to get an emote noone ever uses and some bad looking cosmetics plus microtransaction time investment moneysinks

But you didn't, you went for the 90$ digital deluxe edition featuring only a mount cosmetic didnt you, you cheap fucks

If its anyone's fault its your fault

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Surely the malignant crap is going to offer major power boost so that you can roll more defensive stats on other gear to balance it out if you need the armor

Or there will be good defensive options there too to make up for it

Who am I kidding, nobody at blizzard even thought about it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

They said the malignant system is going to provide the opportunity for builds that are "totally broken", but they didn't say if they mean broken in a good way or a bad way :crossarms:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ehud posted:

They said the malignant system is going to provide the opportunity for builds that are "totally broken", but they didn't say if they mean broken in a good way or a bad way :crossarms:

lol

have they released the list of gems yet?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nice joke so far. I can't wait for the next part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Herstory Begins Now posted:

have they released the list of gems yet?

they released a little more, but not yet on this