Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That is 100% Steve bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think we need some absolute d-grade take on it. Give it to AdoredTV or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MK8HD

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How many takes on Mortal Kombat can they really make, honestly? MK9 better be UHD

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which youtube tech idiot would you like to see handle this?

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1678014289599184896

Overlord gaming / Modern vintage gamer

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 10, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How many takes on Mortal Kombat can they really make, honestly? MK9 better be UHD

It's funny that MK8 is MK vs DC and is therefore in that zone now where people are saying maybe it was actually good and due a remaster.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moore's Law Is Dead :getin:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Overlord gaming / Modern vintage gamer

actually, yeah, modern vintage gamer is perfect. i sincerely doubt they'd let him get anywhere near it though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MVG is a cool dude - love this indepth videos.

One of the cooler impossible ports was Tomb Raider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GVSLcqGP7g

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

Moore's Law Is Dead :getin:

He's back in hospital.
Keeps dislocating his arms, due to constantly patting himself on the back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Steve from GN for sure

IIRC one of the ampere reviews had a brief GeForce experience bloatware rant because nvidia kept saying to use it… it’ll be that plus all the worst prebuilt segments.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1678014289599184896

might be a hot take but people really really want denuvo to be proven to kill performance when they're really just mad that they can't pirate the game easily

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apparently Rich from Digital Foundry already tests most Denuvo games that get cracked with and without the DRM, and he says he's yet to find a case where Denuvo had a noteworthy impact on performance. With Resident Evil Village, that was Capcom's own DRM that was causing problems, and with Doom Eternal it was the anti-cheat stuff. Every time a game comes out with stutter issues, people point their finger at Denuvo instead of the numerous engine issues that are likely at fault.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Shipon posted:

might be a hot take but people really really want denuvo to be proven to kill performance when they're really just mad that they can't pirate the game easily

Counterpoint: I don't like unnecessary poo poo running in the background. I'm not a charity I don't buy expensive Hardware to have CPU cycles taken up by loving Copy protection

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shipon posted:

Or, and hear me out here…..denuvo sucks poo poo

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cantide posted:

Counterpoint: I don't like unnecessary poo poo running in the background. I'm not a charity I don't buy expensive Hardware to have CPU cycles taken up by loving Copy protection

there's no evidence it does take up meaningful performance, lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shipon posted:

Not even remotely.

All these anti-piracy schemes and always online crap diminish the chance you can use the product you paid money for, years down the line.

If it also hurts performance (and it definitely uses more disk space and increases load times) then it's all a bunch of anti-consumer garbage.

Shipon posted:

If you ignore all the evidence, sure

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYNijcMZoiLRp697-RzKArVtTMbCryrxM

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Shipon posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the release unprotected exes to every denuvo protected title so we can get independent benchmarks then

Edit: also gently caress that I don't care if there is arbitrarily defined "meaningful impact" denuvo deosn't benefit me one iota so I don't want it.

Cantide fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 11, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Arguably denuvo and it's ilk benefit everyone through assuring revenue to the studios and publishers which I guess you could tie to future games you may enjoy and continued employment for some

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DRM does not prevent piracy

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Aware posted:

Arguably denuvo and it's ilk benefit everyone through assuring revenue to the studios and publishers which I guess you could tie to future games you may enjoy and continued employment for some

sure
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/eu-study-finds-piracy-doesnt-hurt-game-sales-may-actually-help/

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

denuvo sure does or people wouldn't complain so much about it, like games with it do get cracked but either they're that one crazy TERF or the guy who only cracks soccer games

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Denuvo legitimately does for at least the first two or three months of release, or sometimes longer depending on how little demand there is. It took Resident Evil 4 a couple months to crack and Jedi Survivor still isn't, for instance. Games nobody wants like Redfall may take a year (or may never be cracked). Or b-tier games that people like—if you want to pirate Octopath Traveler II on PC for instance, you have to emulate the Switch version.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 11, 2023

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Shipon posted:

denuvo sure does or people wouldn't complain so much about it, like games with it do get cracked but either they're that one crazy TERF or the guy who only cracks soccer games

yeah i love drm

D shut
R the
M gently caress
up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
denuvo is extremely benign especially compared to tages/fade/starforce (lmao good times) but we'd be better without it, if only so that people would shut up about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
like the reason why Denuvo wants to litigate this issue of whether or not their DRM costs performance is because it's an argument that manages to sidestep the entire question of the utility of DRM vis-a-vis piracy

if they can credibly claim that applying DRM is "free", then the discussion takes a tonal shift towards "who cares?" as regards to whether DRM does or doesn't work

but if it does cost performance, then the opposite effect happens, where even if DRM had some economic utility, and even if that utility manages to trickle-down from the publishers to the end-consumer, people are still going to dislike it, for reasons that have nothing to do with its ability to prevent piracy (and whether preventing piracy even helps sales)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

denuvo is extremely benign especially compared to tages/fade/starforce (lmao good times) but we'd be better without it, if only so that people would shut up about it

FADE in Operation Flashpoint was amazing. It's the one copy protection that was entertaining at least.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Former Human posted:

FADE in Operation Flashpoint was amazing. It's the one copy protection that was entertaining at least.

The problem was it was unclear whether it was FADE working or just the usual Operation Flashpoint/ARMA jankiness

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Former Human posted:

That Arkham Asylum DRM where you couldn't make a crucial jump early on was pretty good too. Same with the Serious Sam 3 DRM that spawned the unkillable scorpion (which I believe is now a speedrun category in and of itself.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was Settlers 4 that would make your foundries produce pigs, instead of pig iron, if it thought that you were running it entirely off the HDD ...

... which was a problem because really fast CD drives would trigger the DRM

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

remember when everyone was convinced that denuvo was destroying users SSDs based on one poorly sourced anecdote that nobody could ever reproduce

there's legitimate arguments against DRM, but with DRM that actually works there's also a baseline of bad faith attacks from pirates who are just mad they can't torrent a game yet

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

also in the era of stutter struggle, a lot of users just want something to blame for all the stutter they're seeing, and drm being the culprit is easier to accept than the developer simply forgetting about shader compilation oops

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If something like Denuvo is part of a game, it means that Denuvo Software Solutions, the publisher of the game, the developer of the game, or Valve/Epic/other online distributor all get to control whether you can play a game that you paid for.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think Operation Flashpoint's weapon fuckedness was my first actual experience of being hosed over by DRM, I don't remember being too cut up over something I stole fighting back.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
capcom are really bad at implementing crc for their drm which has big performance issues. but gamers are dumb and equate bad implementations to bad technologies

if these people had their way, dx12 would also be gone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kliras posted:

capcom are really bad at implementing crc for their drm which has big performance issues. but gamers are dumb and equate bad implementations to bad technologies

Doesn't really seem dumb to equate the two when companies keep doing it. That's Denuvo's problem to try to fix if they're so concerned about their reputation

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 11, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

That Arkham Asylum DRM where you couldn't make a crucial jump early on was pretty good too. Same with the Serious Sam 3 DRM that spawned the unkillable scorpion (which I believe is now a speedrun category in and of itself.)

Spyro's DRM was pretty neat at loving with pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYSeXLr5sY

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Which it appears they're trying to do. I don't even play games anymore but I don't have a philosophical objection with people being paid for their work and taking reasonable measures to protect that income.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly I get more irritated with a game I bought on Steam requiring a non-Steam launcher at this point, I use Steam I don't want Ubisoft Connect or EA Play or CDPR Launcher or Rockstar Social Club or the Xbox App to be required as well. Especially when they require another login that I can get locked out of. I can't play Ubisoft games any more (not a huge loss) because I can't log into Ubisoft Connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was Settlers 4 that would make your foundries produce pigs, instead of pig iron, if it thought that you were running it entirely off the HDD ...

... which was a problem because really fast CD drives would trigger the DRM

See that sounds funny but I feel you need to make it 100% clear why something doesn't work or you just generate bad word of mouth that results in lower sales because you thought making a joke DRM was funny