Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

achtungnight posted:

Surely there are mods for this game that allow for these things? I hope so anyway. Pathfinder can be tedious with a full crew party, but it is ultimately more fun for some players, myself included. Hope similar mods exist for the Shadowrun games, which I still need to play.

I sadly think that it's an engine limitation that you can only have four controllable fully-playable characters (plus four 'pets' - summoned spirits, rigger drones, etc) at a time. It's a bit troublesome, indeed, when your running team is almost twice that size at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I could see it working somewhat like that in some custom campaigns maybe, where the outside decker support are effectively map triggers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SIGSEGV posted:

The decker tax is real and it would all be better if your decker could just be on the other side of a mobile phone that you plug in various things when not in the active party. Or you could have enough party slots to bring your whole crew, that could work too, but the game convention is that it doesn't work that way.

Jack in! Megaman, Execute!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

KataraniSword posted:

I sadly think that it's an engine limitation that you can only have four controllable fully-playable characters (plus four 'pets' - summoned spirits, rigger drones, etc) at a time. It's a bit troublesome, indeed, when your running team is almost twice that size at this point.

While I can't comment on exact engine limitations or if any mods make use of it or anything like that, it is at least possible on a technical level to control more than four characters in a group at the same time, for instance when Blitz joins during the Drogenkippe run in Dragonfall.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Gobbet and Gaichu acting exactly like I hoped they would. Three out of the first four sentences are about food, and we nearly provoked a scandal by bringing a cosplayer along.

Out of principle, I will try my hand at a Buddha's delight, even if I will have to replace several ingredients with european ones. I like games that mention dishes that aren't utterly impossible.

And drat it, I knew the music of the game was phenomenal, but I completely forgot about the track during this level. The composer did one hell of a great job.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
drat this is such an incredible let's play. thank you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Gaichu rules.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I’ve been idly flicking through the old Numenera LP over the last few days and the difference in writing quality between that game and this is mindblowing. Harebrained Schemes becoming a viable dev studio has to be one of the best things to come out of the kickstarter gaming era (jfc that was over a decade ago :corsair:)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Skooms posted:

drat this is such an incredible let's play. thank you.

A great game and easily accessible editor do a lot of heavy lifting, glad you've enjoyed it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I thought it a typo, but apparently 'assensed' is a term in the Shadowrun universe. I learned something today.

achtungnight posted:

Speaking as a relative of a famous chef (Gordon Ramsay and I are in the same Scottish clan) and a major celebrity fan, I would enjoy "Chop-Chop Kitchen". Pity it's not a real show.

If you don't mind me asking, is your surname Ramsay as well? I don't really know anything about this, speaking as an ignorant Sassenach with a Welsh nan.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
to assense is the process of giving somebody a once-over with magesight or in the astral plane. you may recall it from back in Dragonfall, where an Awakened character can try to do this to the cyberzombie, and immediately need to pass a difficult Body check to not vomit and pass out.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Kanfy posted:

A great game and easily accessible editor do a lot of heavy lifting, glad you've enjoyed it.

pssh your exhaustive knowledge and writing ability is irreplaceable. this high level quality of let's plays are like therapy for me.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

to assense is the process of giving somebody a once-over with magesight or in the astral plane. you may recall it from back in Dragonfall, where an Awakened character can try to do this to the cyberzombie, and immediately need to pass a difficult Body check to not vomit and pass out.

Assensing can give you a fair amount of information on someone, such as their emotional state, whether they have magic, what kinds of cyberware or bioware they have, if they've suffered any essence loss for any reason, and so on. It's a very useful tool for an Awakened shadowrunner.

Magicians get it by default, but Adepts need to specifically purchase a power in the TTRPG, Astral Perception, to make use of it.

The funny thing about assensing is that when you're doing it, you need to perceive astrally, and if you're perceiving astrally you can interact with astral forms. So you can punch, or get punched, by unmaterialized spirits while you're doing it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dual natured beings like Gaichu are assensing all the time - in fact, he's blind, so his astral sight is all he has to go on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Astral perception cannot take in 'abstract' information. Try to look at written information astrally and it's just scribbles with maybe some colour indicating the emotional tone of the writing.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Astral perception cannot take in 'abstract' information. Try to look at written information astrally and it's just scribbles with maybe some colour indicating the emotional tone of the writing.

Also, things that are transparent in visible light are often opaque in the astral realm.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

MJ12 posted:

Also, things that are transparent in visible light are often opaque in the astral realm.

Following that logic, could I appear as large and muscular to a blind person who uses astral perception? Asking for a friend.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Lone Badger posted:

So Gaichu can't read?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So Gaichu can't read?

He could still use braille or something.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

JustJeff88 posted:

If you don't mind me asking, is your surname Ramsay as well? I don't really know anything about this, speaking as an ignorant Sassenach with a Welsh nan.

Middle name. My paternal great grandmother had it as her last name.

Assensing is a cool thing. Hope to see more of it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Or if it's written in something alive enough to have, or recently had, an aura.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Poil posted:

Or if it's written in something alive enough to have, or recently had, an aura.

The message on the wall is obviously written in blood.

[Shadowrunner]
The brown, crusted surface and occasional glistening patch tell you it's nearly fresh - no older than two, three hours.

[Etiquette: Academic]
No palm or fingerprints, but plenty of impressions. Whoever did this wore gloves. A cautionary type.

[Astral Sense]
The blood has no aura. Blood this fresh should still be flickering with life, the spectrum of feelings and half-memories of the person this came from. This blood is astrally sterile.
It's artificial.

You pick up your commlink.
"Pythia. Are there any biolabs with haemopoiesis incubators nearby?"

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Lone Badger posted:

We saw him reading earlier. He has an attachment for his PAD that translates electronic writing to braille using mechanical pins. He even mentions that most blind people use text readers, but he likes doing things himself.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
In honor of this fantastic LP, I paid a visit to the (remains) of the Kowloon Walled City today, which was demolished in the 90s and turned into a park.

The central building (the yamen) was preserved, and there are a number of exhibits around it

Including a bronze model of the Walled City (with the yamen in the middle) along with a cross section

They also kept the remains of one of the foundations, which looks surprisingly well engineered, with liberal use of rebar

Finally, if you go through the yamen, there are a few small exhibit rooms - curtained off because sunlight never reached the ground - that try to give visitors a sense of what it felt like inside the Walled City

There are also a couple of other cool tidbits, like a model of the original Qing-era Walled City and some timelines.

The Walled City Park is probably not on most visitor's to-do list, but if you have an hour or two to spare and an interest in a cyberpunk staple, I highly recommend visiting. It's only after you get here that you really get a sense of how much bad qi might come from 30,000 people crammed in area that you can walk around in 20 minutes, as well as the perseverance and determination of its inhabitants to make it through. It's just a 20-30 minute ride on the MTR from the major hotels!

Also, even though the Walled City has been demolished, a lot of the older neighborhoods from the 80s are still around the park, to really give you that Old Hong Kong feeling.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Thank you for posting this,that's really interesting and I wish I could go

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Thank you for posting this,that's really interesting and I wish I could go

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Oh! Thanks for sharing Boat Stuck, that's super interesting.

I think parts of blood sports (yes, that movie with Van Damme and nut-punches) was filmed in the walled city. Apparently there aren't many videos of the insides of this place.
Van Damme would also flawlessly pass as an adept if he had to play in a Shadowrun flic, come to think of it.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 22, 2023

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Crazy to think it’s a sunny park now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I’ve mentioned before in thread that the aunt that I live with grew up in the shadow of the Kowloon Walled City when she was a kid in the 50s and 60s. She recalls being told by my great grandmother to avoid the area on the way to and from school.

I was last in Hong Kong back in 2007, but even though I stayed at a hotel in Kowloon, my family decidedly stuck to the tourist and shopping areas in Mong Kok and Tsim Sha Tsui. I’d like to check it out myself one day (possibly with family alongside) if I head back there sometime soon.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
In-universe isn’t the Kowloon walled city we’ve seen in game the second walled city? So fitting Shadowrun’s general theme of ‘the 20th century happens all over again, only this time with dragons and cybernetics and poo poo’?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DoctorTristan posted:

In-universe isn’t the Kowloon walled city we’ve seen in game the second walled city? So fitting Shadowrun’s general theme of ‘the 20th century happens all over again, only this time with dragons and cybernetics and poo poo’?

Yes, a corp decided the site of the worst slum ever to exist was the ideal place to build unregulated high density low income housing. This, of course, immediately ended exactly how irony would dictate.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But they had a plan this time! Everything was going to go great.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Keldulas posted:

It'd be interesting if there was a SR:Returns game that took this idea to the logical extreme, and your decker never comes along in meatspace.

I think you could make a cool game of being the decker that never comes into contact with the meat you hire for when you need something physically interacted with.

Hiring a team, coming up with the plan to get them to the target by hacking locks, moving patrol routes, changing camera displays, silencing alarms and etc…

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Pretty sure this game already exists, and it's called Lemmings.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Pretty sure this game already exists, and it's called Lemmings.

But that's not cyberpunk. :v:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The market is right for CyberRodents!
Overwhelm the traps with your bionic vermin but keep an eye on your budget!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Murgos posted:

I think you could make a cool game of being the decker that never comes into contact with the meat you hire for when you need something physically interacted with.

Hiring a team, coming up with the plan to get them to the target by hacking locks, moving patrol routes, changing camera displays, silencing alarms and etc…

If nothing else, they toyed with it a little in Dragonfall with Alice.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Murgos posted:

Invisible Inc.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Invisible Inc.

Huh, you’re right. And I actually love that game too funny enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I'm throwing a furtive look at the thread every now and then in the hopes of getting my dose of Asian Cyberpunk Fantasy.