Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Thank you for being so consistent and keeping the daily drawing thread(s) going Shinmera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Drawings will continue until morale improves

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

First turnaround sheet attempt. I don't think it's very good, although I think I at least captured the character of a bored/sad waitress. There's no real style to it though and the anatomy is weak. I pretty much gave up on the shoes.

The idea was to keep it simple so it could be a basis for animation but I find the simpler I try to go, the worse things look. If I have a bigger canvas and more sketchiness I can keep messing around until I like it, but with something like this, I need a stonger foundation of shapes etc so I can get the point across in more limited space and lines.

I'll have another couple of attempts at this I think, because I want to get this character solid for a project I have in mind.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Keep at it!

#2002 (Epilepsy warning)

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

So I'm not really happy with this drawing but I've been uninspired for a few days now and hoping this helps kick-start me back into a creative loop. It's a scene I'm going to be describing in my CYOA Mega Frankenstein.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969259

Smik fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 13, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

2d doodles

3d doodle

(hair is dog)

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Decided to do a sketch of "Maesika"

She's one of the characters in a story I'm writing, a faerie spirit who takes the form of a cursed rag doll. She shifts her appearance based on her mood.

Smik fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 13, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

another try at the turnaround. i think this is a bit better, but the side and back views came out a bit slanted even after correcting for it.

it's slightly better to look at than the previous one and i think more consistent between angles.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
More watercolor practice, it's been a while

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Smik posted:

She's one of the characters in a story I'm writing, a faerie spirit who takes the form of a cursed rag doll. She shifts her appearance based on her mood.

That's a neat writing idea!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Did a sketch of one of my central characters named Nem. An older version is in Mega Frankenstein.

Smik fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 13, 2023

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Do you use vectors or a specific kind of pen, out of curiosity?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Smik posted:

Do you use vectors or a specific kind of pen, out of curiosity?

Neither, I just work digitally with Krita and am somewhat ok at creating clean line art. I use the Ink-2 Fineliner brush for the final lines these days, which is a default Krita brush.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Shinmera posted:

Neither, I just work digitally with Krita and am somewhat ok at creating clean line art. I use the Ink-2 Fineliner brush for the final lines these days, which is a default Krita brush.

Huh, never heard of Krita until now. Looked it up, seems pretty legit. I've already got Clip Studio though so I'm sticking with what I know for now.

A sketch of Sami, the protagonist of my second CYOA (on a different site) who is also in Mega Frankenstein. Sami is a lot rougher around the edges than Nem and it threw players for a loop. She drinks heavily and enjoys a fair bit of pot, neither of which have as strong an effect as she'd like due to her body being extremely resilient to drugs and disease as well as healing quickly.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

White Light posted:

That's a neat writing idea!

I just realized I never replied to that, but thanks! The story involves the introduction of faeries into the world and the problems of finding decent housing to haunt when you're effectively a ghost. A paranormal investigator is hired to deal with her, but she just explains that all she has to do to get rid of him is to kill his wealthy client. Since what she really wants is a place of her own, she agrees to move in with the investigator instead despite all he has is a one-bedroom apartment (and having a real person as a front for holding property is a lot easier. From that point onwards it's the investigator trying to wrangle a bloodthirsty killer ragdoll although in a strange way it has some parallels to the concept of pokemon, as Maesika is in a much better situation with a human companion than without.

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
Popping in to spam some of my latest stuff, oldest to newest. :justpost:

Screen tone brush experiment with 80's DC comics palette.

Pride Month

Short character animation

twitter meme linked in the goon art discord

CSP with vector line art.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Wasn't particularly inspired today but tried a sketch of Rekki, one of the characters in Nem's story. He's pretty important but tends to stay in the background for the most part.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Bought some additional art supplies. To get a bit more into watercolors.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How do you choose your poses for your drawings, Shinmera? They're always so believable and story-filled.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Cephas posted:

How do you choose your poses for your drawings, Shinmera? They're always so believable and story-filled.

The current set is mostly from reference photos, though always adjusted to suit better to what I want (#2007: cup + looking at viewer, #2006 head tilt, #2005 hand in front of mouth, etc).

Just GISing for general clothing items or styles is pretty useful. Takes a while to find anything good, but it's what I do. I'm sure pinterest or whatever could also be used.

A lot of the time though I just have an idea in my head that I want to draw, be it inspired by something that happened to me, some other piece of media I saw or remembered, or just the ~mysteries of the brain~. Not sure how to help with that part, really! I guess just keep your eyes open, if something looks cool, save it or remember it for later.

#2009: 45 minute freerom painting practise

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 14, 2023

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

A sketching of Remmington, one of my characters. He's probably needing the most development in terms of his backstory and his character design since when given a choice between him and Sami, the readers at the time chose Sami. The concept for his story was that the players needed to keep him out of fights because he'd win them -- and leave a trail of bodies with consequences in his wake. One of the other elements I wanted to play with was an inability to easily give him direct instructions (related to his ability to dominate fights was the fact he had issues being able to 'hear' the players).

I'm not super-happy with this sketch but... one a day to break the curse right?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#2010: Art trade with an art friend. This is her character, Fitha.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

be not afraid

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Continuing to practice this watercolor thing on scraps to get a feel for how it all works.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

IkeTurner posted:

Continuing to practice this watercolor thing on scraps to get a feel for how it all works.

I think it looks very nice. I like the textured paper, too.

Here's mine today:

I've hit a bit of a wall. I need to take some time and just learn some fundamentals on form, having rough proportions in my head clearly isn't doing the trick. I was going for skinny here but she's too skinny, looks stretched to me in the end, and of course the hands and feet look silly.

My classes start in a few weeks though so hopefully that will help me focus on the underlying technique I need to improve.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I got quite angry at the world tonight. However, I somehow managed to compose myself and continue practicing watercolor doodles.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 18, 2023

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

A sketch of Yeeryie, a character planned for a small short-story game I'm working on. She's a spooky seelie faerie who loves ice cream and scaring people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hey, havent posted in a while. heres an unfinished painting of a space, open to any comment or critique

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#2011: Quick doodle while I'm supposed to be working

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
hello thread, I don't think I've ever posted here but I'm back to trying to bang out something daily, and filling out an 8.5x11" sketchbook (scary amount of space!)

I usually swap between ink pens and/or pencil, also been messing with acryl gouache on the side so that may make an appearance

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I am also planning on drawing/posting more, here is a self portrait from earlier this year. Prob the last thing I drew that I took more than a few mins on. Not super happy with the colors but it was fun to do.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

roomtone posted:

I've hit a bit of a wall. I need to take some time and just learn some fundamentals on form, having rough proportions in my head clearly isn't doing the trick. I was going for skinny here but she's too skinny, looks stretched to me in the end, and of course the hands and feet look silly.

Life drawing is very important, but I've also found a lot of help in little figures and also tracing (gently caress the haters). You can do the x heads tall trick and have proportions math, but that always sucked the fun out of it for me. Keep loose and then fill in when it looks right. Imo imo. I'm gonna draw some action figures tonight, I love these lil toys for drawings and part of the reason why is the proportions are clearly delineated with the joints and color blocking. Keep it up!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Warm ups I guess?

Def out of practice, hoping to draw/post more when kid 1 goes to bed

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Did a sketch of one of my characters named Macha. Not super happy with it but I wanted to get back on track with a daily drawing. (Macha is Nem's future daughter)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
pro-tip: protractor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Doodle during sprint planning