Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

that Night Man trailer was homoerotic as hell lemme tell ya

I'm still thinking sbout how it shows him using a hologram to play sax

E: the most 90s thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Also Marvel bought them and does nothing with the characters. Except for Ultraverse's Christian Thor making a cameo on the cover of a Thor comic.

That would be the last paragraph. Joe Quesada tried to relaunch it when he first became EIC and was pretty far along when legal pointed out the rev share component and that one of the writers that would benefit was known to show too much attention to his underage fans.

That's when they pivoted to a New Universe revival that ironically went to Warren Ellis.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Ultraforce looks like a fake comic book from an SVU episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ultraforce, it had a short lived cartoon series back when every animated studio was throwing money at any comic book company would take it.

The tricky thing about Ultraverse characters was that Malibu, the company that originally created the line, wanted this big shared cohesive universe so they offered profit sharing across the line to various creators. Every creator would get a small cut from the other lines to foster cooperation rather than competition.

Cool idea until one of the creators turns out to be a child molester and any revival of any of the characters would mean cutting checks to him.

Look on the bright side: maybe he will be murdered in prison.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

8one6 posted:

One of my favorite early 00s scifi shows was Invisible Man. An agent who can become invisible but for budget reasons because it causes brain poisoning can't do it too much. He works for the agency that has the only treatment for the brain poison but they have no budget, no authority, and no respect from any branch of the government.

This show was then replaced by an identical show with an even small budget called Gemini Man, which MST3K fans will know from the "Riding With Death" film made by awkwardly stitching two vaguely related episodes together into a movie. He could only be invisible for something like 15 minutes a day.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

8one6 posted:

One of my favorite early 00s scifi shows was Invisible Man. An agent who can become invisible but for budget reasons because it causes brain poisoning can't do it too much. He works for the agency that has the only treatment for the brain poison but they have no budget, no authority, and no respect from any branch of the government.

Invisible Man was great, I think about it every now and then and wish it was streamable somewhere. Always thought Vincent Ventresca would have had a bigger career.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The only episode of Invisible Man I ever saw was the one where they get arrested by a small town that would park an empty school bus on the road with the stop sign out and arrest anyone who drove around it

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Invisible Man was great, I think about it every now and then and wish it was streamable somewhere. Always thought Vincent Ventresca would have had a bigger career.

Ventresca's C-tier career led to the most random meta gag in Invisible Man: Ventresca played a scientist in the series Prey on ABC which was cancelled after one season. In that series, Adam Storke played a federal agent who at the end of the season gets thrown in a cell. In The Invisible Man, some episode has Fawkes looking for his friends in a hidden base and after opening a cell door trying to find them, out comes Adam Storke who thanks him and runs away, Fawkes quips "I so know that guy".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Her Dryer posted:

This show was then replaced by an identical show with an even small budget called Gemini Man, which MST3K fans will know from the "Riding With Death" film made by awkwardly stitching two vaguely related episodes together into a movie. He could only be invisible for something like 15 minutes a day.

That's a different invisible man show. The one they're talking about aired on Sci-Fi Channel in the early 00s.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

That's a different invisible man show. The one they're talking about aired on Sci-Fi Channel in the early 00s.

Thank you. To be fair I can be forgiven for not being able to tell invisible men apart

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That would be the last paragraph. Joe Quesada tried to relaunch it when he first became EIC and was pretty far along when legal pointed out the rev share component and that one of the writers that would benefit was known to show too much attention to his underage fans.

That's when they pivoted to a New Universe revival that ironically went to Warren Ellis.

The Ultraverse thing is actually really interesting because nobody has ever said conclusively why Marvel doesn't use those characters. The only people that know are bound by an NDA so there are only guesses and speculation.

I think everyone has settled on the theory that the former publisher of Malibu, who Marvel bought out, has a deal with those characters where he gets a cut of profits and is given producer credit and might have some creative control.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

is this referring to Gerard Jones? That would have been many years before his arrest, which wasn't until 2018, so I don't think that's why those plans fell through at the time; allegedly it has more to do with Scott Rosenberg's (the guy who managed to get Cowboys & Aliens, a comic nobody read, adapted into a feature film starring Daniel Craig and directed by Jon Favreau in large part though sales charts fuckery) share of the Ultraverse rights, though I think that's more informed speculation than anything confirmed.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Was trying to look up which Malibu comics guy was into underage fans and found far more comics guys in trouble for underage stuff than I knew

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Malibu’s most wanted

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Craig Mazen has apparently decided he no longer wants his name attached to the Borderlands movie, instead changing it to a pseudonym. It has been in post production for two years and has gone through multiple reshoots with Tim Miller taking over for Eli Roth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Craig Mazen has apparently decided he no longer wants his name attached to the Borderlands movie, instead changing it to a pseudonym. It has been in post production for two years and has gone through multiple reshoots with Tim Miller taking over for Eli Roth.
I knew there was something going on with this, because other than a brief teaser image several years back there has been no news on this at all

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn’t there something a few years ago with either Jack Black or Kevin Hart saying something disparaging about the film? I vaguely remember that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn’t there something a few years ago with either Jack Black or Kevin Hart saying something disparaging about the film? I vaguely remember that.
Not sure but I just saw that TEN writers have now worked on this film

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

As long as he doesn't interact with anything visible. If he does anything but walk an invisible dog on a leash, that requiressome creativity and/or money for FX.

Well you see you have the solution in you're post. Just cleverly write it so they only interact with inviable things. Maybe have them fight an invisible villian with invisible henchpeople. You know that sort of thing.

If they do have to have them interact with visible things, just set that scene in a warehouse at night which has all it's lights broken. Look with "good" writing, saving money on FX isn't that hard!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

dr_rat posted:

Well you see you have the solution in you're post. Just cleverly write it so they only interact with inviable things. Maybe have them fight an invisible villian with invisible henchpeople. You know that sort of thing.

If they do have to have them interact with visible things, just set that scene in a warehouse at night which has all it's lights broken. Look with "good" writing, saving money on FX isn't that hard!

Hell, wrestling figured this poo poo out years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

why would someone do this

you worked on it, you should be proud to put your name on it

Chairman Capone posted:

Kevin Hart saying something disparaging about the film? I vaguely remember that.

he said he was in it yes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

say it for the people at the back, alan smithee

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee posted:

but louder

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Does he think that that will make people magically forget that he was involved? Also, the movie has to be bad considering that he wrote Superhero movie under his real name.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah does the Alan Smithee thing even have any point in the Age of IMDB when it's gonna get credited to you anyway and be easily searchable. The only people that are gonna be scrutinizing movie posters or opening credits are people who would know either way

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alan Smithee posted:

Ironic poster/post combo.

If you're writing a novel, the only person who'll be offering creative suggestions is your editor, and unless you want to include something that might damage its sales potential, they'll usually defer to you.

If you're writing a movie, every other motherfucker involved thinks they can do your job better than you, and often have the power to overrule you. So the script you wrote might end up being completely mullered because the producer is determined to include a giant spider or a teen incest scene or whatever. That's the point when you seinfeld.gif out, take the money and hope the stink of this project doesn't stick to you when you look for your next job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

The substance that causes invisibility is silver before turning invisible.

I love that show since every character seems fun even if there's no invisible man. And their ramshackle secret agency gets transferred through several US gov departments throughout the show, including the ones in charge of farms and national parks. Which I remember led to an episode where they actually had to go on a mission related to that department and met Bigfoot. Which was also invisible (that's why no one can find it).

I also remember they added a female agent that had the same name as the protagonist of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

IIRC that actually even factors into the plot, apparently the invisibility gland comes from a Bigfoot. Which also explains the poisoning, as it's basically organ rejection.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean for any larger films having your name unattached was always just a protest thing to say yeah the end project is nothing like the work I did for it/wanted it to be so please don't think of it as my work, rather than any attempt to outright hide.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

I mean for any larger films having your name unattached was always just a protest thing to say yeah the end project is nothing like the work I did for it/wanted it to be so please don't think of it as my work, rather than any attempt to outright hide.

Yeah makes sense

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Borderlands movie turning out bad???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hC3uyQdQKM

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
:sickos:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1678573771282608129?s=20

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They need to make her eyes bigger for each sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol I knew they were making a Wonka origin story but didn't realise it was starring Paul Atreides

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Spice must Cocoa

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol I knew they were making a Wonka origin story but didn't realise it was starring Paul Atreides

Is this the one about him going to war or whatever that one pitch was?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shai Hulud but it's a giant gummy worm

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Codependent Poster posted:

Is this the one about him going to war or whatever that one pitch was?

If this one had origins from the same script it looks like all that got dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otNh9bTjXWg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Also Godzilla Minus One and Blue Beetle trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlceGpbGgvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aoi8-EGn9U

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Release date: 2033.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I didn’t know what to expect from Blue Beetle, but “Latino teenaged Iron Man, but blue” wasn’t on my bingo card. These movies make me feel tired.

I’m pretty wet for Godzilla Minus One, though.