Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Clowner posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know any good resources for working on resource guarding? Problem is growing along with the puppy (a corgi, which apparently have an above average inclination to the behavior).

Mine! by Jean Donaldson seems to be well-recommended and I found it useful with our dog. I think common advice is also to teach them a "drop" command so they are more likely to willingly give something up and see it as something they get rewarded for, rather than you taking it off them against their will. This is probably a good thing to do even if you're not currently worried about guarding to be honest – my dog didn't seem to mind me pulling things out of his mouth when he was small, but as he got older it became clear that he definitely did mind it.

However the biggest thing I wish I'd known about it when we first started dealing with it is to learn your dog's body language for stress and don't push back against them, because it will just end up with them escalating. A dog who learns that tensing up and giving you the whale eye doesn't stop a human from taking something precious away from them is more likely to growl at you next time, and if that doesn't work then it can escalate to a bite.

We completely hosed up on this with our puppy (partly because of me panicking about him swallowing things, partly because of listening to terrible "just show him who's boss!" advice) and ended up making his resource guarding issues much worse to the point where we had to get a behaviourist involved. We're much better at managing it now but it is something we still have to be very mindful of, especially when it comes to interacting with other people. We also basically don't try to get anything off him at all now unless it's definitely dangerous to him or very valuable, in which case there's a whole routine where one person distracts him out of the room by "accidentally" dropping a trail of treats and then the other person retrieves the item out of his sight.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a vent but it's probably my biggest regret as a first-time dog-haver and hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah if anyone starts talking about "dominance" or variations on that, that's bad training advice. I started with the same bad notions a long time ago (Cesar Milan's popular show at the time was a big factor) and it was profoundly unhelpful. Mine! is a good book.

Volcano posted:

We also basically don't try to get anything off him at all now unless it's definitely dangerous to him or very valuable, in which case there's a whole routine where one person distracts him out of the room by "accidentally" dropping a trail of treats and then the other person retrieves the item out of his sight.

Another form of this is teaching "Trade", it's not really any different in concept

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-teach-dog-trade
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/resource-guarding/trading-with-your-dog-to-combat-resource-guarding/

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 11, 2023

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
Probably paranoid, but please help reassure: We live in a small apartment building (one stairwell up and down) - yesterday as we were leaving, we ran into a downstairs neighbor who has a Siberian Husky that he informed us, through tears, had contracted lepto and was dying - he was trying to coax her to come down the stairs to go outside and she was just lying there in the stairwell, looking _really_ bad. He said that her organs are failing and she's likely going to pass any day now. Our dog (a 14-pound terrier) wasn't with us at the time and the two rarely even see each other in the hallway, and definitely don't interact when they do (ours has a Napoleon complex); he's also fully up-to-date with all his shots (including, obviously, the lepto vaccine). However, coming back in from our before-bed walk last night, I caught him giving really intense sniffs on the stairs where she had been lying and I'm sure her hair/drool/potentially urine are on all of the stairs going up and down to his apartment as well. Should I be worried about transmission this way? Are there any extra precautions (apart from, obviously, keeping them from interacting in person, so to speak) I should be taking?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ainsley posted:

Probably paranoid, but please help reassure: We live in a small apartment building (one stairwell up and down) - yesterday as we were leaving, we ran into a downstairs neighbor who has a Siberian Husky that he informed us, through tears, had contracted lepto and was dying - he was trying to coax her to come down the stairs to go outside and she was just lying there in the stairwell, looking _really_ bad. He said that her organs are failing and she's likely going to pass any day now. Our dog (a 14-pound terrier) wasn't with us at the time and the two rarely even see each other in the hallway, and definitely don't interact when they do (ours has a Napoleon complex); he's also fully up-to-date with all his shots (including, obviously, the lepto vaccine). However, coming back in from our before-bed walk last night, I caught him giving really intense sniffs on the stairs where she had been lying and I'm sure her hair/drool/potentially urine are on all of the stairs going up and down to his apartment as well. Should I be worried about transmission this way? Are there any extra precautions (apart from, obviously, keeping them from interacting in person, so to speak) I should be taking?

I would contact your vet and explain the situation and ask if they have any recommendations for you. Lepto is a serious illness that can also pass to humans and I'd want a professional opinion on it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
My rat dog just caught a mole in our garden. I'm considering returning it to kennel, I didn't pay for a mole dog! :argh:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah if anyone starts talking about "dominance" or variations on that, that's bad training advice. I started with the same bad notions a long time ago (Cesar Milan's popular show at the time was a big factor) and it was profoundly unhelpful. Mine! is a good book.

Another form of this is teaching "Trade", it's not really any different in concept

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-teach-dog-trade
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/resource-guarding/trading-with-your-dog-to-combat-resource-guarding/

This is pretty much what we've been doing, we have been playing "give/take" to train her to drop stuff and always reward her. She's not shown any signs of resource guarding at all yet and hopefully it stays that way.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any recommendations for a GPS collar?

My guy doesn't really run away, but he does forget about me if there are other dogs about, and since we're about to take a beach trip I wouldn't mind the extra piece of mind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My guy doesn't really run away, but he does forget about me if there are other dogs about, and since we're about to take a beach trip I wouldn't mind the extra piece of mind.

I have been using an apple airtag on Apollo and have been happy with it. It's on his collar, it lets me know if I've left "item Apollo" behind, I can use it to track his location if he escapes the fence. He's also microchipped.

You can see it in this shot:

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Volcano posted:

Mine! by Jean Donaldson seems to be well-recommended and I found it useful with our dog. I think common advice is also to teach them a "drop" command so they are more likely to willingly give something up and see it as something they get rewarded for, rather than you taking it off them against their will.

Thanks, I'll check it out. The tough part of teaching "drop" is that she'll drop any toy the moment she notices food, but she won't give up any food without a fight - even for food of a much higher value. Hard to teach "drop" if she drops it as soon as she sees me coming :lol: she's too drat smart for her own good.

Clowner fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 12, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It takes time and patience and calmness, above all don't make it stressful to the point where the dog runs away because that makes it dramatically harder to fix, for a lot of reasons.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have been using an apple airtag on Apollo and have been happy with it. It's on his collar, it lets me know if I've left "item Apollo" behind, I can use it to track his location if he escapes the fence. He's also microchipped.

You can see it in this shot:

I've wanted to do this exact thing but I'm not an apple user and never have been, is there a way to track them without an iPhone?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've wanted to do this exact thing but I'm not an apple user and never have been, is there a way to track them without an iPhone?

I've seen a guy on youtube (Andrew Caramata) whose dogs run off around his property use these GPS collars to track them:
https://tryfi.com/

Here's the company's info on how it works:
https://tryfi.com/learn

The amazon reviews aren't amazing but the bad ones seem to be centered around the collars breaking and needing more warranty support than the company gives or complaints about the app trying to be a social network for dog owners. I don't think I'd want to spend $120 on something that might break with a short warranty nor would I want to be roped into an app that's dog facebook or whatever, but from seeing them used in videos the collars seem to work to track the dogs. If my dog had a habit of getting loose I'd definitely consider it. There's also only 10 amazon reviews so that's not a lot of feedback, but the first review that is very long has pictures comparing it to other GPS collars/trackers that are larger:
https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Smart-Dog-Collar-Waterproof/dp/B0BX12D4ZQ/

Here's a two hour video where Andrew goes through getting his new dog Blue because his older dog Cody is so energetic and needs a friend to run around with. He talks about the collars at 1:23:10 or so which is timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-RJIoLkpWw&t=4990s

So the Fi collars seem pricey and you also need cell service. I'm on android too, and while I've used Tile to track keys and stuff for years the main failing of Tile is that it needs other phones running the Tile app to see the device within bluetooth range. Apple really instantly overtook them by making airtags get tracked by all iPhones, giving themselves a huge network to watch for those things.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah I've found a few decent collars I like the look of, but I was wondering more about hacking an airtag onto android.

I'm gonna wait till she's a bit bigger and starts wandering out of sight etc a little more as right now, she freaks out anytime we walk her off lead and she gets out of sight. Which is handy right now but I know it won't last.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It's a good job this dog is so adorably affectionate. She decided to chew though my fibre cable for my internet a few days ago and I wasn't even annoyed at her...

But Amazon shipped me the wrong thing, so I had to wait another day for the correct cable, only to find the puppy had done more damage than I realised and also somehow chewed through the routers power cable under the sofa, where she can only just fit her head in, so god knows how she managed that.

Luckily enough I had a spare router on hand but Jesus Christ dog.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just bought a Tractive, it seems pretty accurate and has activity tracking.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

when her tongue looks too big for her head is when i know she's finally had enough running (until she sleeps and the counter resets to zero)

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 14, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I don't have a picture of it but Umbra has a little birthmark towards the back of her tongue. When it shows up it means it's okay to leave the Dog Park.

Edit, I do have a picture of her though, just not the tongue thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Excellent dog pictures, thank you both for your service :patriot:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Gangringo posted:

I don't have a picture of it but Umbra has a little birthmark towards the back of her tongue. When it shows up it means it's okay to leave the Dog Park.

Edit, I do have a picture of her though, just not the tongue thing.

she's so good :unsmith:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How long did you guys walk your puppy's at the start? I've got a good feel for what Freja is ok with, and our vet has told us the internet's 5 mins per month old has no actual scientific basis and just "knowing your dog" is far better.

We do 2 walks a day, when she wakes up and before bed, 12 hours apart. And generally I tailor it to her energy levels. Sometimes it's a quick 15 mins and sometimes it's 30+ but always at her pace.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just two? drat, Brisket is spoiled AF

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 14, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Usually I walk Pochi at lunch and late evening, but now she just gets late evening because its 100 fuckin degrees during the day.

edit: she goes out to go potty every hour or so in a shaded spot

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HootTheOwl posted:

Just two? drat, Brisket is spoiled AF

I'd walk her more but she's only 4 months on the 30th and being a bulldog shes lazy as gently caress. I hope she grows into loving a good walk tbh as it's one of my favourite things about owning a dog.

How long/far you walking?

My partner's a little concerned about the pups joints even though the vets said it's fine. I just want more information for comparative reasons and to put her mind more at ease.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

When he was very young (3-6 months?) it didn't take too long for Pickwick to get worn out, especially at the very beginning when everything about a walk was new and it took us 15 minutes to go down the block because we had to stop and sniff/stare at/be scared of EVERYTHING. After 6 or 8 months he could do an hour and be very tired at the end, now he's almost a year and in the heat, two 30 min walks works much better than a single hour walk, and even on the 30 minute walks he lies down in some shady grass and takes a 5 minute rest 2/3 of the way through.

E:

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'd walk her more but she's only 4 months on the 30th and being a bulldog shes lazy as gently caress. I hope she grows into loving a good walk tbh as it's one of my favourite things about owning a dog.

How long/far you walking?

My partner's a little concerned about the pups joints even though the vets said it's fine. I just want more information for comparative reasons and to put her mind more at ease.
I'd try like 2 15 minute walks. If its hot where you are, might be best to do them when it's cooler in the morning and evening, but YMMV. Pickwick is not a morning dog at all and trying to take him on a walk first thing has often ended in alot of him laying down and me being frustrated.

It's always hard for me to remember that however far we go, we have to come back that far too if we go in a straight line. It seems to work better if we walk kind of in loops so home is never more than 5-10 minutes away if he gets tired.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 14, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
She's not a morning dog at all funnily enough, she is much like us in that regard..she doesn't start her day till at least 9am.

We've been very lucky that she's now sleeping through from about 10pm to 8am/9am with a wake up for a quick pee around 5.30am.. she's doing really well in that regard and my sleep has gotten so much better the last few weeks. It was exhausting when she needed to go out every few hours.

Anyway, he walks are scheduled around the heat. We live in London so this week is pissing it down but last week was roasting hot and last month entirely was way too hot for me let alone her.. we were skipping walks if it was too hot tbh and just doing toilet breaks. It was quite nice going for a short evening walk though.

I find she's always "fine" once we get 5 mins away from home and she remembers she gets to say to lots of people and other dogs. She's just stubborn and lazy like you'd expect from her breed. It's been a very, very long time since I've been around a puppy and I'd forgotten how hard it can be, she's great though and honestly I couldn't have asked for anything more from her aside from walking 30 meters from the elevator to the grass outside without needing to argue with me. Concierge find it hilarious though so there is that..

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
An update from the picture I posted a few weeks ago from when it looked like my dog was growing an extra claw.

We had it removed and the lab says it was an inverted viral papilloma. But it's unlikely to spread or return, so that's good.

Of course now she's depressed because she can't run around or go outside without a (hated) boot. She's gone from indomitable happy and active to not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. And as annoying as that often was, it kills my soul to see her like this.

Thankfully the bandage comes off and the stitches come out on Monday. I can't wait to see the change back when that happens.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Caught my guy Jordi in full airborne mid stride.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That's a good photo! Good dog, too!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a good start, I'd like to see more :hmmyes:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Hover-dog pictures are my favorite

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

alg posted:

Usually I walk Pochi at lunch and late evening, but now she just gets late evening because its 100 fuckin degrees during the day.

edit: she goes out to go potty every hour or so in a shaded spot

Ooh hey a fellow Japanese Spitz owner! This has been the same for my dog, Millie. Every summer we go through this routine because it’s so hot, and the asphalt would burn her paws.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

teenage werewolf bled on her tail and then wagged blood all over the wall :cripes:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket has been sent to the board-n-trainers to get a good-boy refresher week.
Hopefully when he comes back he shut the gently caress up and let people pet him when they come over, including his baby sister, due in two motnhs.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Woke up to Aubrie looking like this.

Seems something bit her and she had a bad reaction. Much better now after over the counter antihistamine and some steroids from the vet but a few hours of being frantically itchy and scared.

Now sunbathing like nothing ever happened.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I spot the hammer on the floor behind her, in the first photo, is that just case she was bit by a warewolf or something?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

no you use the hammer to flatten the bumps, it is like working on a car

e: bone

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just brought my new buddy Campion home, just about three months after losing my beloved Chuubo to a plastic squeaker (never touching a squeaky toy again). He's an eight-week-old golden retriever, and this will be my first time raising an actual puppy.

Are there any best practices regarding where to register his microchip? It seems like there are a lot of options and Google is useless as per usual.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
A squeeky toy?... That's awful. I assume a choking hazard.

I'm happy you've got a new dog friend though.i doubt you're in the UK, I also assume it works the same way in the US though, here you just pick one and the microchip is marked as registered on all the platforms. It's just you deciding who to give your money to basically

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
So we're getting rid of all of the squeaky toys tonight, now. Jesus - I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

A squeeky toy?... That's awful. I assume a choking hazard.

Well, it stuck in his stomach and the operation to remove it went wrong when the ligatures came undone. It was a really bad time for me. It's really quite amazing that those things are so common given how determined dogs are to swallow the squeaky bit.