Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

post hole digger posted:

im just going to become a fat goon powerlifter guy with hunched shoulders and the most insane anterior pelvic tilt you have ever seen in your life. at least i can eat what i want then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yospos stands for "yes o satan, pile on squats"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

yosfit 2023: yes o satan, pile on squats

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

anything you're gonna eat is about 100 calories an ounce. this is not so accurate if you have like, an ounce of raw cabbage, or an ounce of butter. but your finished product is gonna be close enough that you can avoid detailed ingredient tracking and still get the key benefits of calorie counting, which come mainly from general awareness of what you're putting in your face

having spent a bunch of time finding foods closer to 150 cal/oz for backpacking last summer this is true enough and a pretty clever way to look at it that I’ve never thought about before.

lol

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

did my first yoga class since the pandemic and drat it felt good to be back, I'd forgotten how much I missed it

unfortunately it appears that THE ECONOMY has caught up to yoga studios and jeez this would get expensive to go as much as I used to

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

did my first yoga class since the pandemic and drat it felt good to be back, I'd forgotten how much I missed it

unfortunately it appears that THE ECONOMY has caught up to yoga studios and jeez this would get expensive to go as much as I used to

yeah my friend who runs a school is charging almost triple what he was in 2019. fortunately for him his studio is in a nice neighborhood

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

qirex posted:

yeah my friend who runs a school is charging almost triple what he was in 2019. fortunately for him his studio is in a nice neighborhood

I never knew how good I had it when the place down the street from me in Oakland had late-nite by donation yoga

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dijkstracula posted:

I never knew how good I had it when the place down the street from me in Oakland had late-nite by donation yoga

There was a place in my city that did by-donation yoga, but the whole things felt a bit cult-y.

I was really enjoying the yoga workouts on Apple Fitness+, though ones personal success with those will really depend on ones ability to follow a workout from a screen.

EDIT: Also, pulled off 3x5 @ 350# deadlifts on the trap bar today. The road to a 400# 1RM continues...

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 13, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i am tempted to do some yoga. definitely need to start with some in-person classes since i’ve never done it before. i’m thinking it would be a good thing to round out my fitness. i don’t need to be super strong or anything, just overall fit.

like i was so unfit for most of covid. stairs winded me and i couldn’t do much of any one activity. but i chopped some wood into kindling earlier in the week and it felt good to have the strength/stamina to get it all done. and like deadlifting a giant pile of branches i just cleared out. i’m not lifting a whole lot but even a little bit has made me feel really good doing stuff.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Well I hurt my loving back deadlifting. I’ve been so inconsistent with a move and travel that I’m pretty out of shape, tried to dive into a 5x5 at 225 without enough warmup and stretching and on my third rep I must have rounded my back or something because I felt a pain and immediately put the weight down

Now I can barely bend over, extremely frustrating I hope I didn’t do too much damage and this heals soon, I need to rethink my entire routine and I can’t skip the stretching and good mornings I was doing prior to the lift (which I was using as sort of a weighted stretch/warmup)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Well I hurt my loving back deadlifting. I’ve been so inconsistent with a move and travel that I’m pretty out of shape, tried to dive into a 5x5 at 225 without enough warmup and stretching and on my third rep I must have rounded my back or something because I felt a pain and immediately put the weight down

Now I can barely bend over, extremely frustrating I hope I didn’t do too much damage and this heals soon, I need to rethink my entire routine and I can’t skip the stretching and good mornings I was doing prior to the lift (which I was using as sort of a weighted stretch/warmup)
sorry bud. my warm-ups are usually
- body weight 10 reps while keeping form
- just the bar, 8 reps keeping form
- 2x 25 lbs keeping form 8 reps
- 2x 45 plates keeping form, 6-8 reps
- +50 lbs, same as above
-+ remainder of weight to get to my 5x5 rep weight

has been working pretty well for years I've never had an injury. in the meantime do some light stretching and holds if you can to work out the injury

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
After skimming the latest Peter Attia book, especially the parts on stability, I did my barbell squats barefoot today (home gym). Kind of fun, I was paying more attention to stability and subsequently everything on up. We'll see how it lasts.

I have textbook Morton's foot (although looking at the wikipedia pics I feel much better about my condition) so have messed around with inserts for my workout shoes but I'm going to play around with barefoot for a while.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the correct way to do all barbell lifts is shirtless, barefoot, and in jeans.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sucks dude but it happens, hope you get well soon

i always warm up with like 10x at 1/2 my target weight for the set and at a quicker pace, and also cool down with the same thing, and am extremely wary of messing up form (failed my last bench this week and my arms were dead for a day and a half, arm workouts are my weakpoint)

i work towards maintenance in my late 30s so push my limits but i also don't do things unless i feel confident in the movement because hurting myself is way worse

quote:

After skimming the latest Peter Attia book, especially the parts on stability, I did my barbell squats barefoot today (home gym). Kind of fun, I was paying more attention to stability and subsequently everything on up. We'll see how it lasts.

I have textbook Morton's foot (although looking at the wikipedia pics I feel much better about my condition) so have messed around with inserts for my workout shoes but I'm going to play around with barefoot for a while.

the #1 thing i notice people mess up when getting into squats is wearing heeled shoes (the #2 is not adjusting the bar height to be below your shoulders but above your pecs). if you arent wearing lifting shoes, or flat chucks/vans, you should take off your shoes

someone new came in during my typical type at the gym and they did this this week, i politely interjected and told them about pushing w heels and lining up the bar with that point and taking off their shoes, they did much better after

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 13, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Share Bear posted:

sucks dude but it happens, hope you get well soon

i always warm up with like 10x at 1/2 my target weight for the set and at a quicker pace, and also cool down with the same thing, and am extremely wary of messing up form (failed my last bench this week and my arms were dead for a day and a half, arm workouts are my weakpoint)

i work towards maintenance in my late 30s so push my limits but i also don't do things unless i feel confident in the movement because hurting myself is way worse

the #1 thing i notice people mess up when getting into squats is wearing heeled shoes (the #2 is not adjusting the bar height to be below your shoulders but above your pecs). if you arent wearing lifting shoes, or flat chucks/vans, you should take off your shoes

someone new came in during my typical type at the gym and they did this this week, i politely interjected and told them about pushing w heels and lining up the bar with that point and taking off their shoes, they did much better after

low bar squat

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ran past a bear during my morning run, he was like 15 feet away. dogs did their job and treed him (like 3 feet off the ground lol) because i didnt notice till he started growling :catstare:

wasnt sure how fast i would realistically have bear spray out in a panic, turns out pretty god drat fast (didnt spray)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

low bar squat

idgi is it a movement issue or starting low and going up? cause that seems immediately bad

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Share Bear posted:

idgi is it a movement issue or starting low and going up? cause that seems immediately bad

you have to use a barbell that is depressed

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Where are you all getting recipe ideas from? I've been grinding out a lot of cycling and Muay Thai classes but gotta get that next step to start controlling more of my food in a tidier way (without taking out some lil' treats to prevent me from losing my will to live).

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

me too even tho i been working out a lot lately im gaining weight and feel like a fat gently caress.

please dont i say count calories....... i beg you..... beg... you..... :qq:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

don’t worry op I started counting calories and tracking macros this month and have lost a grand total of 0.4 pounds so if you wanna say it ain’t worth it I’m not arguing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

these all generally contribute to healthier eating in smaller ways and as a whole should help out

however these also come with the caveat that you are exercising and can make time to cook, and are based on things i did

(i recommend doing exercise for a bit (6mo or so) before considering diet changes, the exercise will beget you wanting to make healthier choices ime)

- try to cook for yourself as often as you can, do meal prep if time is a concern and plan your meals for the week

- try not to do something else while eating besides like talking with others over the meal

- try to not have snacks or prepackaged foods often

- if you have to have snacks around choose healthier and smaller options like carrots pickles nuts and fruit etc, its easier to not snack if you dont have them around

- reduce the portions of food you eat or add more leafy greens to whatever you eat to fill you up

- reduce the amount of alcohol or soft drinks you consume in any form

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

EndlessRagdoll posted:

Where are you all getting recipe ideas from?

whatever has a lot of vegetables or beans in it so like curries, chilis, ratatouille or other stewed veggies, hummus and some other general protein

i cook a lot of east asian food thinking about it, so the kenji lopez the wok book has been good

reducing quantity and increasing the quality of the food i guess? but without cutting myself off from things i like either

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 13, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

- if you have to have snacks around choose healthier and smaller options like carrots pickles nuts and fruit etc, its easier to not snack if you dont have them around

wives love nothing more sabotaging your hard work.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah banishing salty chips from my house helped out a lot i think. now my only snacks are nuts or yogurt or something. i used to buy giant costco-sized bags of chips and that's just not good for business.

my doctor suggested a low-carb diet which kinda helped? i feel like it was harder to fill the calories in a way, since i was limited in what i could eat. from my reading it's not helpful long-term and regular carb diets are best health-wise (barring diabetes). but afaik short term it might help you stick to dieting a bit better.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

think i got a kettlebell routine i can get a little juice of out before i finally bite the bullet and start going back to a real gym so i can proper squat and bench again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

EndlessRagdoll posted:

Where are you all getting recipe ideas from? I've been grinding out a lot of cycling and Muay Thai classes but gotta get that next step to start controlling more of my food in a tidier way (without taking out some lil' treats to prevent me from losing my will to live).

in general, i don't mess with recipes too much, i mess with portion sizes. of course there are some obvious changes that can be made (leaner cuts of meat, using less oil or butter, use less rice) but for the most part my experience has been that if you're already eating relatively clean, you don't need to make a special effort to eat low-calorie in addition. this was the case even before i started on wegovy, but it did mean that i had to be mindful that the snacks i chose outside of meal times were low-calorie.

that said, it does indeed get a lot easier when you have a normal appetite and not a "i have little idea what satiety is" appetite. if you're a normal person, good for you, ya lucky so-and-so. if not, i hope your insurance covers wegovy and the shortage ends soon, and also that it doesn't give us all thryoid cancer.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so i guess this is to say that my recipe ideas are just already knowing how to cook and making some basic changes and not eating too much. when i want recipes i don't go out of my way to find healthy ones. kenji lopez-alt, alton brown, that cookbook over there, whatever - just uh normal recipe places

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

makes sense. i'm comfortable with prep/cooking but my dumb brain is so deepfried from these computers that planning food can just be exhausting. prob just gotta buckle down and make a proper meal list for the week.

i think that 6mo advice might be the best since the longer i'm doing this poo poo, the more bandwidth i think i have mentally.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

check your area for healthy meal prep. this is a service that exists. yes its like those chef delivery box services, but its usually local and made by someone who gives a poo poo about your macros, and they cook it for you. ask your gym if they know anyone, that kind of thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

do know, however, that achmed jones will laugh at you. this is probably not something that you should care about but it is true.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

do know, however, that achmed jones will laugh at you. this is probably not something that you should care about but it is true.

it's ok we laugh at you too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:supaburn:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Eeyo posted:

subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Share Bear posted:

low bar squat means u put the bar lower on your upper back which changes the mechanics of the movement, so if your doing it properly then all the normies will tell you your squatting wrong.

so if your squat form is bad you can just say "its a low bar squat dude, look it up"