Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Having a newborn is making me realize how much I've forgotten from when my first kid was this age. It's wild going from only a three year old to that and a brand new baby :psydwarf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My parents always talked about how they wished they'd written stuff down.

Then suddenly my daughter was no longer a baby and I was wishing the same thing. How do you spend what seems like interminably long periods with a baby and forget it ALL? To the point where I'm reacting to photographs of the time like I'm in Memento.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My parents always talked about how they wished they'd written stuff down.

Then suddenly my daughter was no longer a baby and I was wishing the same thing. How do you spend what seems like interminably long periods with a baby and forget it ALL? To the point where I'm reacting to photographs of the time like I'm in Memento.

My parents never mentioned anything about writing stuff down but my mom loves to say that when I was 2 months I was sleeping all night, how come the kiddo wasn’t doing that then or whatever.

Just wild poo poo really.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

When we first suspected that our oldest was on the spectrum and into the start of his early intervention therapies, we kept a detailed daily journal of his development including sleep schedules and food. So we have this tiny couple month window of sudden details but otherwise its

Brawnfire posted:

I'm reacting to photographs of the time like I'm in Memento.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
There are “one line a day” journals if you’re into documenting the small things, like stuff you did, a new milestone they reached, cute things they say, etc. I have one for both of my kids and while I fall behind sometimes, reading what they did on that day the past few years is extremely sweet.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have thousands of photos and minute long clips on a Google drive over the past two years. Gigs and gigs of photos, hours, maybe literal days of video he may look back on one day.

And there are like a 25 photos of me that that age. My parents have like one each.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GoutPatrol posted:

I have thousands of photos and minute long clips on a Google drive over the past two years. Gigs and gigs of photos, hours, maybe literal days of video he may look back on one day.

And there are like a 25 photos of me that that age. My parents have like one each.

:same: although I've been thinking of making an online doc in my Google drive for Journaling little things too. We have so many photos but a lot of small things get missed, and I have a horrendous memory.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

GoutPatrol posted:

We have a bunch of short clips of our kids doing interesting / funny things, too. Like 2 minutes on average. Maybe the longest video being 10 minutes. Meanwhile, I have 45 minute VHS tapes of my dad / mom walking around with their giant, shoulder-mounted camcorder in the late 80's following me and my brother around as we played at a park. Long stretches of nothing very interesting going on, or my parents pointing the camcorder at the ground while they helped us do something.

Both very different ways to record / consume memories, and the majority of it will never be watched.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
My favorite memory of when my kid was doing swim lessons as a toddler was when they were super frustrated and wanted out. They started yelling to me "daddy I'm coooold" and when that didn't get a reaction they switched to "daddy I'm tooooo hot!". Great stuff.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Loving the boomer advice on this second kid go around

"Be sure to sleep when they sleep" yes cool, my three year old will love this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tom Smykowski posted:

"Be sure to sleep when they sleep" yes cool, my three year old will love this

*hands a 3 year old a five dollar bill* "Here kid go see a movie."

*squints in confusion* "wait...make sure it's G rated"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tom Smykowski posted:

my parents insisted they do something nice for me for my birthday by forcing themselves on my family but also refused to reschedule any of their own plans, which means they didn't get to me until 3PM when we had 4:30PM dinner reservations. And they had the nerve to give me an attitude that I sent my kid to school so I could chill out for a few hours.

Mind you the only thing I wanted for my birthday was to be left the gently caress alone so I could play Zelda in peace but no mom, I'll give up my entire day of peace just so you can ignore my son for an hour like you usually do before we have to leave.

2nd is due in October and we're already starting to get the unsolicited boomer advice. gently caress off, and I mean that in the nicest meanest way possible

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If there's one thing I can't stand it's the grandparent/s that talk about not seeing the kids ever and then, given the opportunity, sit in another room looking at their phones while the kids gradually give up on showing them things.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My parents are more interested in talking to at my wife than they are in talking to me or playing with their grandson. It's pretty exhausting.

I made a point in squeezing them into already existing plans instead of taking another day out of my busy life to entertain them as their gift to me. No thanks.

The frustrating part is that my mom was a babysitter growing up and that's how she paid my way through college. But now she's old, has bum knees, had a stroke a year ago, and lives 2 hours away. Completely incapable of being any use us for babysitting which is a real shame because she really should be able to absolutely kill it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Brawnfire posted:

If there's one thing I can't stand it's the grandparent/s that talk about not seeing the kids ever and then, given the opportunity, sit in another room looking at their phones while the kids gradually give up on showing them things.

:hai:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

What is it with parents like that? Mine is on an advice kick of telling me I should simply explain to my melting down toddler in the middle of the night that she's a big girl and it's sleep time? Why didn't I think of that?! (Cause it's completely stupid and insane probably)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hallo spacedog posted:

What is it with parents like that? Mine is on an advice kick of telling me I should simply explain to my melting down toddler in the middle of the night that she's a big girl and it's sleep time? Why didn't I think of that?! (Cause it's completely stupid and insane probably)

Well that's how we did it with you and you came out fine!*

*after years of therapy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Call me a hippie or something but I prefer my children not being afraid to tell me the truth.

Don't get me wrong my parents were very good to me and gave me a solid upbringing. But that doesn't magically make all these weird communication issues just magically go away.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think my mom forgot that kids have tantrums?

I already posted about the suspected absence seizure reported by my mom that turned out to be nothing, after several doctor visits and a 2 hour EEG later.

On the 4th of July the toddler had a very non-seizure looking normal tantrum and the grandparents kept asking “is he OK? What’s wrong with him? What’s going on?” We also had friends over who were just as puzzled as we were, having seen the toddler tantrum numerous times. He’s gonna yell and cry for 20-45 minutes because he didn’t get to watch the specific show he wanted or his hotdog was too hot or his hotdog was too cold or his water was too wet and then he will calm down and go back to normal.

I wish I had put two and two together and skipped all the doctor visit poo poo ahead of time. They seem like hypochondriacs but then I remember her telling me her new puppy was acting weird, and I told her it just sounded like an annoying puppy. Sadly the dog did end up having a fatal genetic disease.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It really is amazing when people are mystified by toddler tantrums. It’s just kind of what they do! It is a known fact! I asked my friend with an 8 year old for advice on how to handle tantrums and she was like “hmm, my kid never did that.” Lies!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My kid doesn't throw tantrums :shobon:

Though that's mostly because his main reaction to not getting his way is sadness, and not anger. So instead of a tantrum he'll just shut down and cry for a few minutes and we'll give him a big hug until it's better.

God help us for #2 when that time comes though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
It's amazing how much you can convince yourself something happened or didn't happen with your kid too. I could have sworn our pediatrician did three month checkups, so I thought we could be clever and schedule the newborn's three month appointment at the same time as the toddler's two year checkup in September. Nope! They do two months and four months. My husband thinks toddler might have just had an extra checkup because she was having weight gain issues. It's either that or I'm just completely misremembering.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
We use the Baby Tracker app to log our daughter’s diapers, sleep schedule and feedings so now I have a nearly six month dataset to poke at. We mostly use the app just to validate she gets enough sleep and feedings but it’s neat looking back over the past 30 days for trends in sleeping or whatever.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
We've been using that app for this baby, except she's still in the phase where all she really does is eat, sleep, and poop, so we haven't really been tracking the sleep. I tried it briefly so now the app just thinks she hasn't slept in days.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

there are like four apps in the app store that are called some variant of baby tracker

when my wife and I had our first kid, we were using a bespoke, hand-made google sheet, which was a pain in the rear end

i would sort of like to use something actually built for tracking but I think my wife would be nervous about them harvesting our data to harvest our baby or something

cailleask
May 6, 2007

c355n4 posted:

Tell me more. My kid is currently in those normal swim classes.

From an exposing a kid to water perspective, it helped my daughter learn to love being submersed and being wet. It didn’t actually do anything to teach her to swim with strokes etc and now as an elementary aged kid on a recreation swim team she is on par with kids who learned in Kindergarten - and in some cases behind because she has to un-learn adaptations she figured out as a toddler in how to swim. Like her kick and approach to taking a breath is weird and had to be re-trained to do an actual front crawl.

With my son, he didn’t out and out love it and so just developed probably the same or worse wariness about water than he would have if we only just played casually in the water. And because water class was always playtime, he never viewed that there were actually important water safety skills he needed to learn and so, despite years of ‘lessons’ that I paid for he can still only barely get himself to the side of the pool if he falls in now at 6.

We would have gotten a way better outcome (and spent less cash) if I’d just regularly took them to the pool to play and then put them in real lessons as 5 year olds. And the ISR kids are at least much safer - and they can’t be that much more water averse on averse than my son who also isn’t even safe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter poured all the chicken drippings left on the serving dish into a bowl and drank it

I don't like it but it's happening

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My almost 5 year old will eat an entire can of pears or peaches and drink the juice in one sitting I think he might actually be a chimp.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Tom Smykowski posted:

Having a newborn is making me realize how much I've forgotten from when my first kid was this age. It's wild going from only a three year old to that and a brand new baby :psydwarf:

It's nuts right? Our older kid is 4 and at that age he's basically a functioning person with only a couple of outstanding development things kicking around. Compared to a bundle that does nothing but cry and poo and eat

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

abigserve posted:

a bundle that does nothing but cry and poo and eat

Me during the summer holidays.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

dismas posted:

there are like four apps in the app store that are called some variant of baby tracker

when my wife and I had our first kid, we were using a bespoke, hand-made google sheet, which was a pain in the rear end

i would sort of like to use something actually built for tracking but I think my wife would be nervous about them harvesting our data to harvest our baby or something

Fair, it’s this one.

https://nighp.com/babytracker/

I did a bit of research before choosing it and felt it was the best compromise on security and usability. The UI is fairly straightforward… it just logs stuff.

We didn’t log her sleep for a while but were suspecting issues around the 4 month regression so started then. Now, of course, she regularly sleeps through the night from 9pm-6am. We may have to sleep train later I imagine but we are getting off so easy right now.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

hannibal posted:

Fair, it’s this one.

https://nighp.com/babytracker/

I did a bit of research before choosing it and felt it was the best compromise on security and usability. The UI is fairly straightforward… it just logs stuff.

We didn’t log her sleep for a while but were suspecting issues around the 4 month regression so started then. Now, of course, she regularly sleeps through the night from 9pm-6am. We may have to sleep train later I imagine but we are getting off so easy right now.

Yea that’s the good one. We mostly did shifts for the newborn so it was useful to keep track of sleeping/eating/changes without needing to bother/wake up the other person. Syncs almost instantly to the other devices. Still use it occasionally now when tracking medicine doses when the kid gets sick.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

slave to my cravings posted:

Yea that’s the good one. We mostly did shifts for the newborn so it was useful to keep track of sleeping/eating/changes without needing to bother/wake up the other person. Syncs almost instantly to the other devices. Still use it occasionally now when tracking medicine doses when the kid gets sick.

I was gonna say that’s the one we use and yeah, we’re long past the track every action stage but we still keep it around to log meds so we don’t have to think about when his last dose was.

Same with temps. I usually take the night shift and if he’s fighting a fever it’s easy to log temps and then mom knows if it crept back up in the night or if it seems to have broken.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*returning to a cold bagel and lukewarm mug of coffee*

These people had dreams. They had stories they told themselves of a better future. They had no way of knowing what lay ahead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When do kids normally start sitting up and stuff?

Gremlin is at 9 months and he’s still not really sitting down at all. Tummy time basically amounts to him flopping like a fish. He was born at 29 weeks so yeah we do adjust developmentally but sometimes it’s just hard not to worry about it.

(I’m hoping that me posting this means today when we try again he decides to sit. Seems like every time my wife or I get nervous about something he’s not doing he does it soon after).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My 5 month girl sits where she is placed. She likes to fold herself like a taco. Also just entered the Flippy floppy stage. Toddler boy started sitting like 6-8 months old. Don't worry too much

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Grab some tissues because oh boy do I have a bluey episode just for you

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

Grab some tissues because oh boy do I have a bluey episode just for you

Which one? I've got time now to watch it.

Edit: Is it Baby Race?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 11, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Skeezy posted:

Which one? I've got time now to watch it.

Edit: Is it Baby Race?

It's baby race

gently caress that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

gently caress that episode

yeah gently caress that episode