Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

It's going to suck and be bad when you have to give up one of the existing Good Rolls for a resistance as well. There's also not that many enemies that only do one type of damage.

Oh and no loadouts, so good luck finding and swapping to your fire resist suit after your poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tonetta posted:

they released a little more, but not yet on this

More than the two they showed on stream? I haven't seen any except the chain lightning one and the barb one that summons multiple ancients to charge.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Tonetta posted:

they said anytime after the 18th patch but there's plenty of time for them to mess it up

Wait, what? Is this specifically a HC thing? Like if you die before it happens?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

RadioDog posted:

Wait, what? Is this specifically a HC thing? Like if you die before it happens?

Hello, max renown dead person here. Yes, if you die on your max renown character you lose it all, unless they change the system.

Conversely, if you unlocked 2 renown areas on 1 character and the other areas on another character, you get to pick which ones you shall have on S1, and lose the others.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

bus hustler posted:

It's going to suck and be bad when you have to give up one of the existing Good Rolls for a resistance as well. There's also not that many enemies that only do one type of damage.

Oh and no loadouts, so good luck finding and swapping to your fire resist suit after your poison

Instead of slotting skulls, we'll slot diamonds (all resist) lol

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mr. Pickles posted:

Hello, max renown dead person here. Yes, if you die on your max renown character you lose it all, unless they change the system.

Conversely, if you unlocked 2 renown areas on 1 character and the other areas on another character, you get to pick which ones you shall have on S1, and lose the others.

So the play is to max out all the persistent goodies in wt1 and just leave a character there for ever?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

headcase posted:

So the play is to max out all the persistent goodies in wt1 and just leave a character there for ever?

Until the patch yea. Once the patch drops and you've done the conversion\migration\whatever then you can kill it to your hearts content.

Waypoints, map exploration, and statues are all that carryover

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bus hustler posted:

I think the only resistance ever worth building towards would probably be Fire, mostly because of those explosive AoEs some elites like to drop.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mr. Pickles posted:

In the livestream, specifically here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ih-nvMvxV8&t=5838s, they say you'll be able to get progress from all characters by logging in to each of them.

Still sucks for HC players, though if their characters have died.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Honestly as a mechanic resistances is bad and boring. It's way more fun to have an affix that does something big and wacky or makes your crits better than it is to make you do less damage to a certain kind of enemy in a way that you don't really notice.

It's not like an MMO or a souls like where you gear up for a certain boss or dungeon - except at maybe the absolute highest levels of play? Most people just have their main set of gear and that's it. I guess its nice to have a good spread of resistances in your gear, but I mean what a snooze of a concept it all is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It’s time to finally admit that defensive stats are boring. Unless you can stack the defensive stats to make you do more damage, in which case they are cool.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

bus hustler posted:

You can probably do with the innate Res on jewelry since you only need fire and poison (crap on the ground). You can also drink an elixir I guess. After all, the resistance should be on top of the existing armor damage resistance unless they change that for some reason.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yep they should just remove them since they ditched primary/secondary rolls from D3. Just another thing where they seemed determined to let loud grognards obsessed with a 22 year old game run the show instead of doing anything new, fun or that they wanted to do. At best it'd be more of the same, they don't work but AFAIK they aren't trying anything fun with them. Just pretty bog standard "fire resistance" stuff that's never really been innovated on.

Or leave them and just say we ain't fixing them, some rolls have to be bad

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as a total D2 and ARPG grognard, D4 has been simplified so much they might as well just get rid of resistances

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The bog standard grognards have cargo culted their last cruft.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Resistances and stat juggling is cool but only if well supported like Grim Dawn.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

If they ever got the resistances to a workable state I imagine you would just want to build to counter the uber boss and maybe try to roll a 100 map that has affixes that deal that damage type. The way the progression currently works I don't think it would really be meaningful otherwise during leveling since you have a lot of control over how strong the enemies you fight are and there isn't much incentive to push really high into the map tiers when just levelling your character.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Doomykins posted:

Resistances and stat juggling is cool but only if well supported like Grim Dawn.

only grim dawn had the courage to have like 9 different kinds of damage

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only resistance that has ever mattered is Lightning resistance. In D2 I never had to worry about any other element but as soon as those shock scarab guys came out, you could die in seconds

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
In D4 it seems like fire and or poison death effects are most likely to kill you but i can't see giving up some other good stat to try to stack resistances either.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

the only resistance that has ever mattered is Lightning resistance. In D2 I never had to worry about any other element but as soon as those shock scarab guys came out, you could die in seconds

In this one it's poison. I can dodge exploding fire circles, and I have never ever noticed shadow damage, but sometimes my health globe turns gross yellow and I need to slam down five health potions in a row to stop from dying.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

In this one it's poison. I can dodge exploding fire circles, and I have never ever noticed shadow damage, but sometimes my health globe turns gross yellow and I need to slam down five health potions in a row to stop from dying.

I was doing an event last night on my rogue when all of a sudden my health dropped to like 1/8th from full, out of nowhere.
It was some hosed up combo of an offscreen bone ballista(gently caress those guys for real) and some rear end in a top hat what had dropped a poison pool at my feet.
Their poison overlapped with my poison trap, leading to much fun times.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've been messing around with a bone spear necro build that uses skeletons and the fire guys are particularly annoying because they can take out all 7 of you skeletons at once.

Overall Skeletal Defenders and Cold Mages are pretty good for leveling. They do garbage damage, but the freeze is nice and they stop enemies and bosses from targeting you all the time and make some of your positioning easier. We'll see if they can stay alive as I move up into higher world tier stuff. They are doing OK in WT3 without having to babysit them too much.

I don't think you have to give up much damage wise to run them, I'm just using them instead of bonestorm right now and have plenty of points, but I think long term the stand alone DR will probably be better in WT4 unless I can keep them alive without itemizing for minion health.

Level 50 Hardcore in WT3 right now though and it's going smoother than my all sacrifice all the time build did on my first necro.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

you're actually right. the boss I almost died to recently was a spider that poo poo poison and webs everywhere and I was getting hosed up. Man that spider den quest for the venom antidotes is an arachnophobic's worst nightmare

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Also gently caress the person at blizzard who decided that minions should trigger traps.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

as a total D2 and ARPG grognard, D4 has been simplified so much they might as well just get rid of resistances

Basically this, by having armor work against magic schools what is even the point

Just have armor apply to all kinds of damage at 100% effectiveness and get rid of resistances

Theres no way you can make resistances be worth it ever with 4 affix slots on gear

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

It’s time to finally admit that defensive stats are boring. Unless you can stack the defensive stats to make you do more damage, in which case they are cool.

Bring back the thorns crusader blizz :argh:

Yes I already run a thorns barbarian but I would like a little more proactive prickliness TIA.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

If they added particle effects instead of damage numbers I would pay money for different ones. Bubbles, confetti, kittens, little cupids, cartoon birds, just make them bigger when you do more damage. Hire me Blizzard

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LifeLynx posted:

I was doing some map event the other night and there were a bunch of Poison Spiders. My WA Barb has like 300 health-on-kill and I managed to out-kill the poison but it was a little scary watching my health bar go up only for it to start shooting back down because the poison effect was so strong. Like yeah I had potions but it was kinda fun to see if I could kill my way out of the problem instead.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

If they added particle effects instead of damage numbers I would pay money for different ones. Bubbles, confetti, kittens, little cupids, cartoon birds, just make them bigger when you do more damage. Hire me Blizzard

Reminds me of my favorite WoW addon back in the very early days. It showed comic book style expressions whenever I did damage.
Stuff like KAPOW and poo poo, really fun

gimme that

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mikojan posted:

Reminds me of my favorite WoW addon back in the very early days. It showed comic book style expressions whenever I did damage.
Stuff like KAPOW and poo poo, really fun

gimme that

City of Heroes joked about doing that once and it would have ruled.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We're all just trying to fill that CoX shaped hole in our hearts

Still dream of making it through that login screen some nights

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We're all just trying to fill that CoX shaped hole in our hearts

Still dream of making it through that login screen some nights

Private servers exist now and are in the same state as the game was when it shut down!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
wait, should I not be slotting diamonds into my jewelry and rubies into my armor

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Skulls and Topaz.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ex post facho posted:

wait, should I not be slotting diamonds into my jewelry and rubies into my armor

I use skulls in jewelry and topaz in armor and emerald in weapons, but I think the armor choice is debatable depending on your class.

Skulls and emeralds for jewelry and weapon is 100% for every class though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Substandard posted:

Skulls and emeralds for jewelry and weapon is 100% for every class though.
You can take the skulls from my weapons from my cold dead hands.

edit: \/\/\/ same

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 11, 2023

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i use rubies in armor as a barb

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I said come in! posted:

Private servers exist now and are in the same state as the game was when it shut down!

The temptation is there but also I'm not entirely sure the game would hold up to modern standards. The dopamine delivery system is calibrated to 2005 levels, and also I'm pretty sure some of the enemies can CC the player character :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Substandard posted:

I've been messing around with a bone spear necro build that uses skeletons and the fire guys are particularly annoying because they can take out all 7 of you skeletons at once.

Overall Skeletal Defenders and Cold Mages are pretty good for leveling. They do garbage damage, but the freeze is nice and they stop enemies and bosses from targeting you all the time and make some of your positioning easier. We'll see if they can stay alive as I move up into higher world tier stuff. They are doing OK in WT3 without having to babysit them too much.

I don't think you have to give up much damage wise to run them, I'm just using them instead of bonestorm right now and have plenty of points, but I think long term the stand alone DR will probably be better in WT4 unless I can keep them alive without itemizing for minion health.

Level 50 Hardcore in WT3 right now though and it's going smoother than my all sacrifice all the time build did on my first necro.

cold mages do the most damage of all the mages when you give them the aspect that casts blizzard, which makes the vuln they can apply more reliable as well since things chill/freeze much faster

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 11, 2023