Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I mean, there could be some weird floating alien thing he's sonicing that will be added in post too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

armpit_enjoyer posted:

He’s waving his hands in the air like he’s using one of those floating holographic screens from the MCU or whatever after using the sonic, which, why

That or he just doesn't care.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh look, it's sidewalk blowjob day again

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

armpit_enjoyer posted:

He’s waving his hands in the air like he’s using one of those floating holographic screens from the MCU or whatever after using the sonic, which, why

Yeah, good interpretation.

I actually feel like that is a fine new ability for the sonic to have for exposition purposes.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Agree, it's more plausible than whenever the Doctor takes "readings" with the sonic and squints at it as though it has the world's tiniest display screen etched somewhere we can't see.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Agree, it's more plausible than whenever the Doctor takes "readings" with the sonic and squints at it as though it has the world's tiniest display screen etched somewhere we can't see.

I figured it gives off ultrasonic tones he can hear and translate

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
They established that it's supposed to be telepathic sometime back in the Matt Smith era, I thought?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's how I remember it, at least. And it's not something I would've invented myself. Smith plays it more like it has a video projection only he can see, so that's what I figured until they said different.

Tennant would listen to it after it scanned something, though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't remember the episode, but he gives it to I wanna say Amy and says something like, "Just point it at something and think about what you want it to do."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I decided to finally dip into the Six/Charley run.

Starting with The Girl Who Never Was, which sees some wonderful interaction between India Fisher and Paul McGann, but separates them for a bit too much of the story. A ghost ship is always a atmospheric setting, but strangely, the monster is treated as a cliffhanger reveal, despite being on the front cover. It's a wonderfully bittersweet story, with a surprisingly downbeat ending, with what would have been (for the time) an outrageous twist. We're still waiting on that Eight/Charley reunion, and it feels like Charley's arc needs it to complete.

In the extras, Paul McGann gives a surprisingly detailed oral history of Alien 3 in the extras. Most of the retellings of the film's production focus on the directing and the script aspects, so to hear an actor's take on it.

Then we're onto The Condemned, where Charley causes yet more time paradoxes by meeting....the Sixth Doctor. The first scene, of Charley trying to bluff her way through a suspicious Doctor is interesting - Colin Baker seems to revert to the original abrasive Sixth Doctor style, before softening up again. The story captures the feel of the BBC police shows of the time, but it would have been nice for Six and Charley to have more scenes together in their own meeting story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Will say it every time, Charlie bumbling her way through episodes trying not to let slip her secret while Six goes :thunk: was a delight :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BadWolfArchives/status/1678432661205811200

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Later on in that article too

https://twitter.com/naylorillo/status/1678446956555714560

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Feels crazy having such a big up and coming star play the main character of our dumb nerdy show.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now I’m disappointed he isn’t wearing that huge orange coat as the Doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that coat is killer modernization of the goofy timelord collars

edit: he better get some cards in the mtg doctor who set

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Link to the actual brilliant article. I really can’t wait for his era to begin. Sure, Tennant, fine. But I want to see Ncuti Gatwa lighting up my screen as the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah that's an incredible article, it's got me even more excited for seeing his Doctor. Also holy poo poo those photos are something else :stwoon:

Ncuti Gatwa posted:

This person fits in everywhere and nowhere. I am the Doctor. The Doctor is me. I decided that I had to get this role.

:hellyeah:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

He does seem to miss the smaller-scale work that theatre afforded him. “It kept me warm and it held me all night, even if I was broke. But I’m planning on getting back to it next year, after I finish season two of Doctor Who,” he says.

So we're not getting three series with him?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

So we're not getting three series with him?

It's not specified, but I believe season 1 and 2 are almost made back-to-back?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yannick_B posted:

It's not specified, but I believe season 1 and 2 are almost made back-to-back?

Is he counting the Tennant Specials and the first season as one "season", or as two separate seasons?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I figured there's just a gap between filming where he'll get to indulge in his love for theatre, and good for him.

It may also be a necessary gap because the BBC apparently flies into an uncontrollable rage if we get anything close to consistent yearly airings of a full Doctor Who season :ohdear:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That is a very handsome Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Gatwa can do all the theatre he wants, as long as it's the Ultimate Adventure.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We've had enough of Sad Stoic Depressed Last Of The Timelords Doctor

I for one welcome our Slutty Gay Doctor Overlord

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, they’re planning to start filming Ncuti’s next season in the autumn, which is a pretty quick turn around, so when that’s done he gets a decent gap to go do other things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Gatwa can do all the theatre he wants, as long as it's the Ultimate Adventure.

Was that the one that opens with the Doctor showing up to tell Margret Thatcher how amazing she is, because I'll pass on that one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Was that the one that opens with the Doctor showing up to tell Margret Thatcher how amazing she is, because I'll pass on that one.

No hold on, I think we can fix this with a very minor rewrite

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

I guess they could sub in someone like Harriet Jones. She was prime minister in the show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yes, we know who she is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dabir posted:

I mean, the Doc is a big fan of Churchill and he was a massive massive racist. In many respects he makes Thatcher look benevolent.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
David Tennant came to the Good Omens premiere wearing a "leave trans kids alone you absolute freaks" shirt and the worst people you know are currently turning into corn cobs. Graham Linehan piped up, only to delete his tweets later.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Short trip time! These Stolen Hours is a Charley Pollard story, with an interestingly bittersweet tone. Narrated by a post-Doctor version of the character (her monologue about how she can't even remember her age anymore due to excessive time travel and time in stasis is a real downer opening), most of the narrative is a Sixth Doctor/Charley story.

This story really gets into the emotional weight and moral ambiguity of Charley's decision in The Condemned. She's seen first hand the dangers of paradoxes, so her choice to lie to the Sixth Doctor, rather than asking him for help and for him to wipe his memory after could be seen as wildly irresponsible. However, it never makes Charley less likable - this story discusses how she rationalises her desire for more adventures, with the guilt of knowing she has to resolve the paradox eventually, excellently.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/BarbaraYetaxa/status/1678431418035183617

Ncuti is really saying all the right things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Protect Ncuti at all costs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I just hope he gets a good writing team behind him.

Whittaker's era just bums me out man.
An entire run hamstrung by absolute garbage scripts

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
As long as RTD doesn't get so burned out he can't write properly I think it'll be alright.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Who supporting their boy!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1679038474765099008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Odd thing, just looking to make sure it's a repeatable issue. On the first page I include links to albums for all the gifs/mp4s I've made for each episode of Doctor Who so far, but I just discovered that if I'm not logged into imgur the albums now seem to throw back a 404 error (individual image links don't seem affected). Can somebody just confirm if the same thing happens to them if they click on it? The files are "hidden" in that they aren't searchable/commentable by random Internet users (why the gently caress anybody would open themselves up to that I have no idea) but imgur explicitly states this is an intended feature for people who want to link albums to specific places like SA, and I really, really, really, really do not want to unhide them so people can scream at each other about NFTs over a comment about a pretty horsey in one of the gifs or something.

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker