Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Talking of jobs:

After 20+ years in the same company, I finally gave in an applied for an internal promotion. A few years after they hired me as a fresh faced graduate, they told me really I should have applied for a grade promotion like the rest of my cohort, and they gave it to me anyway without me having to do any of the paperwork or arguing. I'm not a ladder climber of high aspirations; I should have gone looking for a far better paid job at a different company years ago but honestly I've enjoyed being able to just do the technical work in a flexible environment that doesn't have high pressure.

But I'm now officially a Senior. More of less the same role day to day but now I'm underpaid at a higher grade.

poo poo, what a terrible page starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Someone was saying on twitter they wanted everyone to hurry up and choose whether we're all moving to Twitter But You Can't Swear or Twitter 2 But You Need An Invite.

I just want the admins to decide which one they're using for embeds, or work on a preview that uses the meta stuff on the header to create a thumbnail etc.

I think one key thing is that Bluesky still seems to be in the open beta stage, so moving to it en masse isn't yet an option. I'd be surprised if it doesn't make website embeds an option fairly quickly once it's fully online, given that its whole brand is 'Twitter by the people who know what made Twitter good profitable successful'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

But I'm now officially a Senior. More of less the same role day to day but now I'm underpaid at a higher grade.

poo poo, what a terrible page starter.

Congrats. Hopefully you'll soon realise the truth - the more you're paid, the less you have to do

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

Note, Threads is currently available to people in the US and UK but not people in the EU.

Is this because of GDPR concerns?

As someone said, yes. There's an article on The Register with a pic of all the data Threads demands access to, and at full size that pic is about three screens in height. Among other things it insists on having access to your email accounts so it can see who you've been talking to. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Who could have guessed?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well there's now a second accuser for our unnamed presenter and the BBC has confirmed this person received messages from the presenters phone. It's all about to get very lovely.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I NEED to know more about this image. Who made it? Who is the intended audience? Give me this information

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bale Latrines for Festivals and poo poo I'm going to assume

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jedit posted:

As someone said, yes. There's an article on The Register with a pic of all the data Threads demands access to, and at full size that pic is about three screens in height. Among other things it insists on having access to your email accounts so it can see who you've been talking to. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

One other possibility that was pointed out to me is that Meta might realize that they aren't in full compliance with the Digital Markets Act (the DMA)

It's a more recent piece of legislation, but one where offending companies can be fined percentages of their global turnover.
And while Zuckerbot is an inhuman, soulless dweeb, he's not Elon Musk levels of dumb to speedily launch a product that might cost him 5% of his global turnover.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have to do it from a couple of feet away while screaming at god?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The aim is to piss into the mouth of the person opposite with the highest arc possible

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have to do it from a couple of feet away while screaming at god?

If you've found a better way to piss I'd like to hear it :colbert:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We're getting unconfirmed reports that a second minor has struck the BBC presenter.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
The 2nd person in question isn't a minor as they were in their early 20s, and there's no money for photos or crack Cocaine, but is alleging predatory behaviour, and being pressured into meeting up and having sex etc. It's more Metoo# adjacent stuff than pedo gate.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Actual BBC for the past few decades: :gooncamp: . :ughh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

I find most apps demand a huge amount of access to read, modify etc on phone. I don't understand why for most of them.

I was thinking about this Threads thing and the tie in with instagram (ie facebook). Given my posts on twitter, wouldn't really want them tying me up with those! (Let's just say I am more free with my criticism of the govt and the word 'pillock' as a considered and reasoned reply gets rather more use on there than on here.) I do have an insta account to look at one particular friend's photos but I have never used it.

I found this on The Register, is this what you meant?

https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/05/instagram_threads_debuts_twitter_competition/

quote:

The Play store and App Store both list Threads' access to data – and the app goes after plenty, including location, personal information that may include "Name, Email address, User IDs, Address, Phone number, Political or religious beliefs, Sexual orientation and Other info."

Financial information is also accessible, as are health and fitness data, messages, photos and videos, and even voice or sound recordings.

Also up for grabs are files and documents, calendar events, contacts, the app's behavior, web browsing history, and device IDs.

Oh, I found the image: that is a LOT of stuff. (source: https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/05/threads_comes_to_uk/)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 11, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the privacy thing is bad but also every single facebook platform sucks to use generally

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Diet Crack posted:

Bale Latrines for Festivals and poo poo I'm going to assume

https://www.vice.com/en/article/vdybgj/deep-inside-the-chain-pub-piss-dungeon

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

keep punching joe posted:

What was the original source of the rear end pic, is it real or AI generated?

It's what Tories painted on the child refugee centre's wall.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
loving hell, new Boris Johnson kid just dropped.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

A lot of the time the apps are saying "we can access your x if you want to do y" but if you don't want to do x they can't access y.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/nj_timothy/status/1678787621508579328?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Spends his career coming up with policies to destroy the social fabric of the country and then gets upset because someone calls him Baldy on the tube lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think he hates to say it at all. I think he sat down for an hour relishing saying it.

People who act as if mild urban disorder was invented in the last 20 years and there was some magical time in London where people wouldn't garotte you for a guinea should be deported to Hillbrow for a few weeks.

Unless they're also "people should be grateful for what they have, it's worse elsewhere" types when it comes to healthcare and benefits, then it should be permanent resettlement. Nick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1678831358565576721?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Labour delenda est.

Yes, this has been tried before, and yes, it has had horrific consequences.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Why do politicians feel the need to jump on every buzzword bullshit bingo? If this was 2 years ago that prick would have been talking about putting benefits on the blockchain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've said it before but they're just very dim people, they're exactly the kind of person who would go all in on crypto.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Why do politicians feel the need to jump on every buzzword bullshit bingo? If this was 2 years ago that prick would have been talking about putting benefits on the blockchain

As captured so perfectly by the Thick of It, I think it's the woolly existential terror of the politician who engages with reality mainly via what he reads in the papers and is mainly focused on getting himself into the papers, and so inevitably says to his advisors, "Everyone's talking about AI right now - should we be doing something with that?'

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The SMF is Danny Finklesteins think tank. Labour just scuttling around Westminster prostituting themselves to all the establishment boys

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That also, the desperate reek of somebody who is profoundly insecure about their social relevance but has a job which trades heavily off it, and so parrots off the latest thing they've heard about. Again exactly the kind of person to fall for crypto.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Finally got that accent test thing working and gently caress me given I do not have a noticeable Welsh accent and haven't lived in Wales for 15 year that is pretty impressive

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

OwlFancier posted:

I've said it before but they're just very dim people, they're exactly the kind of person who would go all in on crypto.

grobbo posted:

As captured so perfectly by the Thick of It, I think it's the woolly existential terror of the politician who engages with reality mainly via what he reads in the papers and is mainly focused on getting himself into the papers, and so inevitably says to his advisors, "Everyone's talking about AI right now - should we be doing something with that?'

Yeah, nah, all of you are wrong, Labour is saying unemployed and disabled people do not deserve to be represented or supported by real human beings because they aren't real human beings. It was Rachel Reeves's actual general election pitch in 2015, remember?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rachel-reeves-says-labour-does-not-want-to-represent-people-out-of-work-10114614.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
For those of you worrying about mortgages, Martin Lewis is doing a mortgage special this evening ITV1 at 8pm - ITV+1 at 9pm and I assume it will be available on ITVX later.

Apparently it's an emergency broadcast.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 11, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've said the same thing about medical care too, though. While yes obviously they hate most of the public I think they are quite specifically clout chasing idiots as well, desperate to find any fad they can glom onto to save them having to put effort in. No need to govern, technology will fix it. No need to become a likeable human being, just climb on the bandwagon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For those of you worrying about mortgages, Martin Lewis is doing a mortgage special this evening ITV1 at 8pm - ITV+1 at 9pm and I assume it will be available on ITVX later.

Apparently it's an emergency broadcast.

"If you've tuned in and are under 35, go do something else."

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I don't have a tv license or any way to watch tv. Can someone summarise the program? Other than the sound of insane laughter followed by the distant blast of a shotgun.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just got introduced to Nightmare Mode Irish https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1678476307204567062

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mebh posted:

I don't have a tv license or any way to watch tv. Can someone summarise the program? Other than the sound of insane laughter followed by the distant blast of a shotgun.

presumably you could watch it through the browser page of whatever device you're posting on? I don't remember if it even asks about a tv license but just push yes if it asks, even if you havent got one. hail satan

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What he said is not transcribed to paper as "Baile an Sceilg" surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I swear to God they do this poo poo on purpose. Even the reporter can't get his mouth around a loving "th" sound.

OwlFancier posted:

What he said is not transcribed to paper as "Baile an Sceilg" surely.

The way I was (begrudgingly) taught the language it would've been closer to "balya ann skeylg," but it's loving Kerry, who knows.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 11, 2023