Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KomradeX posted:

We didn't close the skies when Ukraine was begging that a No-Fly Zone was the only way they could win against the Russians

Remember Hillary's plans for a no fly zone in Syria? No fly zones are easy to implement and cause no problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah but it gains them ground, and the stated strategic objective is recovering all occupied Ukrainian land no matter the cost, so this seems like the best shot they've got at achieving that goal.

The cost is horrendous, obviously, but as long as Russia keeps giving ground it technically works?

Exactly right.

I just can’t tell what’s the Political imperative, Ukrainian military imperative, or NATO imperative.

Despite the sterotypes about the first world war and generals trying to move their desks inches closer to Germany, the calculus was always damaging the German Army as much as possible at as little cost to themselves. Sometimes this was hoped to be a breakthrough, but often enough just a break-in or wearing battle. The Hundred Days vindicated this concept - territory was taken at an incredible rate once the German Army had been shattered.

But here, they are trying to take territory with a massive disadvantage in firepower, which means they are massively losing the battle of attrition. I guess their hope is Russian casualty avoidance and their conscripting everyone with the appropriate chromosomes, by press gang now, means they will win the battle of attrition that way, but that seems like a Political calculation.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Jul 11, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat when conditions are met, I wonder if the conditions are retake all the territory theyve lost

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

he did say that ever since being a total war player he's been interest in wars and now he's witnessing irl
which like :bleak:

Total War games have a morale system so maybe he only plays on Easy difficulty.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah but it gains them ground, and the stated strategic objective is recovering all occupied Ukrainian land no matter the cost, so this seems like the best shot they've got at achieving that goal.

The cost is horrendous, obviously, but as long as Russia keeps giving ground it technically works?

It doesn't work because than Russia retakes those obliterated forward positions and Ukraine doesn't have the firepower power to blast them out and the end result is nothing moves but whole Ukrianian units now only exsist in name only from attrition

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Really appreciate that saint george ribbon marking for extra "authenticity".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nato panel coming on specifically about reevaluating nato's relationship with china

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Easy enough to see it’s a strategy that benefits NATO, but again, why the gently caress did the Ukrainians sign off on this, even in principle? You can see it’s a losing proposition over any timeframe.

its because the ukrainian leadership know that they'll have lifetime sinecures and french riviera villas waiting for them as long as they're good little compradors, hth

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, no, because they hollowed out their states to the point where A) they can’t win, and B) there is no motivation to fight and die for them.

So, what’s their plan here? Nuclear war destroys capital, so that can’t be a solution either.

the plan is to keep escalating until either russia/china breaks, or they do. the system that forms the power base of the western ruling class is in a deviation state and heading for collapse, and the only way to restore stability is by breaking and integrating russia and/or china. otherwise, the ship will capsize. possible defeat is still a better alternative for the western ruling class than certain collapse.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
MRAPs. The empire’s mobile oppression bunkers. Built to harass populations into figuring out what the empire wanted. The empire didn’t know. Now they’re loaded full of conscripts for suicide missions because the empire’s servants think this is what the empire wants. Machines built with a startling absence of purpose.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Exactly right.

I just can’t tell what’s the Political imperative, Ukrainian military imperative, or NATO imperative.

The stated objective very specifically has to be "no matter the cost" btw, because as soon as you set a limit to what you are willing to accept you'd have to consider how much you'd lose versus how much you'd lose when pursueing the alternative (ie. negotiating a peace deal with Russia) and that is going to make a negotiated peace look like the vastly more sane approach every time.

So everybody has got to be in all the way all the time and anything less than that is basically treason.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

its because the ukrainian leadership know that they'll have lifetime sinecures and french riviera villas waiting for them as long as they're good little compradors, hth

Idk I’m weak on the ideological component because this is antithetical to how I was trained: devastate the Afghan countryside, no Canadian gets their hair mussed. Yes, neoliberalism meant I had to keep receipts and the optics had to look restrained, both financially and in discrimination, discretion, humanitarian concerns, but in any situation where Canadians were really in danger: Anaconda, Medusa, White School, they expended hundreds of millions of dollars of ordnance and JP8.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Manoeuvre-and-fire. You use MRAPs to close on enemy positions because you don't have enough artillery to do the fire half, or enough infantry weapons to direct fire, then the enemy destroys the position. You then feed new conscripts into the battle and receive new MRAPs from your sponsors - as long as they think you are damaging their geopolitical rival by taking those trenches.

Someone ITT described it as suicide bombing, which is essentially correct, and as a strategy that can’t win only prolong the war and cost Russia a small amount of casualties at huge cost to Ukraine, which is also true.

Easy enough to see it’s a strategy that benefits NATO, but again, why the gently caress did the Ukrainians sign off on this, even in principle? You can see it’s a losing proposition over any timeframe.

Suicide bombing is an objectively successful method because it yanks your k/d ratio way up and you can ruin some important assets. In this case they're sticking their own asses out to bait Russian artillery into destroying assets that can be rebuilt with a shovel, and they're only killing themselves.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1678784900282064896?s=20

quote:

It’s official: a coalition for F-16 training of the Ukrainian Air Force has been formed!
Today, 11 partner states + Ukraine signed a Memorandum outlining the terms. I'm especially grateful to Denmark and the Netherlands for their outstanding leadership in this process.
✅Ukrainian pilots, technicians, and support staff will participate in a training program;
✅There is the possibility of including other types of fighter aircraft in the program;
✅The coalition is ready to consider other means of granting 🇺🇦 fully functional F-16 capabilities.
1/2

Thank you to my colleagues: 🇩🇰
@troelslundp
🇳🇱
@DefensieMin
🇧🇪
@DedonderLudivin
🇨🇦
@AnitaAnandMP
🇱🇺
@Francois_Bausch
🇳🇴
@Bjornarildgram
🇵🇱
@mblaszczak
🇵🇹 Helena Carreiras
@defesa_pt
🇷🇴
@AngelTilvar
🇸🇪
@PlJonson
🇬🇧
@BWallaceMP

F-16s will protect Ukraine’s skies and NATO's Eastern Flank. The Ukrainian Air Force is prepared to master them as quickly as possible.
Ukraine will win.
2/2

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frosted Flake posted:

Destroying enemy entrenchments not with your own artillery (which you don’t have) but by having them obliterate your men occupying them is hardly using their own weapons against them. It’s having them use their weapons against you, and destroying some trenches (again, which are filled with your men) in the process.

:psyduck:

Remember, in Paths of Glory it’s considered a sign of the indifference of French officers that they calmly recite X% of their own men will be killed by the barrage. Here, there is no friendly barrage, the trenches are destroyed by using your own men as targets for enemy artillery.

are we actually sure this is a strategy someone really decided on and not a dumbass desperately spinning a bunch of failed assaults as brilliant innovative tactics

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Idk I’m weak on the ideological component because this is antithetical to how I was trained: devastate the Afghan countryside, no Canadian gets their hair mussed. Yes, neoliberalism meant I had to keep receipts and the optics had to look restrained, both financially and in discrimination, discretion, humanitarian concerns, but in any situation where Canadians were really in danger: Anaconda, Medusa, White School, they expended hundreds of millions of dollars of ordnance and JP8.

Yeah uhh I dunno how to say this nicely but my guy when it comes down to it you are a tool of the western ruling class and they will expend you without a second thought. Which is what they are doing to everyone (volunteered or pressganged into) Ukrainian service right now.

They don't give a gently caress about your life. Not mine either, but you voluntarily made it easier for them to use yours all the way up if they think they can gain something from it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm assuming you guys don't watch 90 Day Fiancee or Match Me Abroad on TLC?

poor guy in basement if parents lovely house in Nebraska: I met a woman in Colombia

literally every family member and friend: aren’t you worried she’s just stealing your money and American citizenship????

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

The stated objective very specifically has to be "no matter the cost" btw, because as soon as you set a limit to what you are willing to accept you'd have to consider how much you'd lose versus how much you'd lose when pursueing the alternative (ie. negotiating a peace deal with Russia) and that is going to make a negotiated peace look like the vastly more sane approach every time.

So everybody has got to be in all the way all the time and anything less than that is basically treason.

These are all easy calculations because the stakes are minimal if Ukraine loses anyway, but if we settle for a negotiated peace then it directly undermines the entire narrative that supported the war.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Is that picture of the dudes with cargo shorts real or did they actually did slip in a pic from 2002 to see if anyone would notice?

I’m embarrassed to admit that from my long time here I’ve seen enough goonlulz threads to tell you that half of those are goon meets

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

them being goon meets doesn’t preclude those exact people from being at the NAFO summit tho

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

thats because dead canadians are a political liability at home, whereas dead ukrainians are a feelgood story

but as mentioned, if push came to shove they'd feed you all into the meatgrinder as well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol 90 Day Fiancee: NAFO Edition

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

The pm of the neatherlands said nato needs to fight Russia in Ukraine or they will be fighting Russia in Europe.

Well, that it, Ukraine lost, they're official not Europe.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

These are all easy calculations because the stakes are minimal if Ukraine loses anyway, but if we settle for a negotiated peace then it directly undermines the entire narrative that supported the war.

the cost of ukrainian defeat is negligible in a vacuum, but the cost of failing to break russia and china is collapse of the western bourgeois project, and the ruling class will not allow that no matter the cost.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

related to that - the article you published yesterday had this quote

Frosted Flake posted:

The Russians, who are much more sensitive to losses in manpower, try to avoid close ("contact") battles and, when the Ukrainians go to their trenches, withdraw, leaving the artillery to destroy the enemy.

I’m no military man but this reads to me like “Russians value their soldiers lives and Ukrainians don’t” and I don’t know how that can be spun as a positive

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol 90 Day Fiancee: NAFO Edition

fuckkkkk …. I’d watch it :|

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Four score years ago, a great Ukrainian, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Proclamation of the Ukrainian state with the words, "Glory to the heroic German army and its Führer, Adolf Hitler".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vomik posted:

related to that - the article you published yesterday had this quote

I’m no military man but this reads to me like “Russians value their soldiers lives and Ukrainians don’t” and I don’t know how that can be spun as a positive

the cowardly orc will not sacrifice his life for no gain, and this proves his fundamental lack of willpower

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1678699399570939904

seems like an escalation when france is providing weapons to attack russia. but i'm no geopolitics expert

uhhh

Mr Hootington posted:

The pm of the neatherlands said nato needs to fight Russia in Ukraine or they will be fighting Russia in Europe.

uhhhhhhhhhhh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zodium posted:

the cost of ukrainian defeat is negligible in a vacuum, but the cost of failing to break russia and china is collapse of the western bourgeois project, and the ruling class will not allow that no matter the cost.

The western bourgeois project undermined itself by isolating pariah states and allowing them to develop their own national bourgeois. That ship sailed a decade ago. What we're talking about is something even more ideological, and stupid.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Well, that it, Ukraine lost, they're official not Europe.

when Ukraine loses suddenly the entire nato command will be filled exclusively with the losing generals of Ukraine

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Wait, I thought they already had training arrangements for UA pilots and were quibbling over who was going to supply the F-16s. Are they just now signing a memorandum to someday set up a school, with the question of the F-16s themselves still unsettled?

Are they planning for the Spring '24 offensive?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

why is this liberal equivocation important to determining if a state of war existed

edit

I may be missing the joke

If you don't call it a war in paper you can wage all the war you want. It's only war if Congress says it's war, sometimes Cambodia just ends up bombed can't explain that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cambodia-involved bombing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Died *with* war, not *of* war

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Omfg is that a MLK quote to enhance the optics of selling war material.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's only a war if it comes from the traditionally war-producing regions of Congress. Otherwise it's merely a sparkling conflict.

The sparkles are white phosphorus.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know we brought up Verdun and Przemysl, is it possible they were banking on this happening at the main Russian line of fortification? Strategic defences Russia would have to fight over and would be left strategically vulnerable if they were pulverized into uselessness would justify this approach, Galicia was not tenable without Przemysl, that corner of the French hexagon is indefensible without Verdun.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

loving hell I thought you were talking about the NAFO meeting, not actual NATO.

Given how the NATO meeting has gone thus far, they might as well be the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

loving hell I thought you were talking about the NAFO meeting, not actual NATO.

this is why it is mandated that the nafo fellas have to wear propeller beanies