Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Of course it's that loving disgusting toad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Where the gently caress is the JULES trailer I saw before Asteroid City?? It has Ben Kingsley who has a UFO crashland in his backyard and he befriends the alien inside by feeding it apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINXBIoxhM8

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hell yeah - there it is. Movie is gonna be so loving weird.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It looks like a parody trailer that would be in a 30 Rock episode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Too bad they just showed the entire movie, including what is clealy the alien taking off at the end. I was really into it before it turned all schmaltzy and uplifting in the second half.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otNh9bTjXWg

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Chalamet seems like the wrong choice and the oompa loompa cgi looks pretty bad. The overall tone and vibe of the movie seem good though. This movie has "solid B-" written all over it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Definitely has more of a kids movie vibe and not as leaning into the strange-ness of it all. Not sure how I feel about that. Makes it seem kinda generic. I'll give it a shot though.

Chalamet, who I love, does seem like the wrong choice though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think Chalamet can really bring the kiddy charm Wonka has - he's clearly going for friendly Gene Wilder.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

I'm generally a fan of Chalamet but he seems wildly miscast in this role lol it's kind of staggering

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I was all set to hate this, but I loving love Paddington 2 and this looks like it has a similar vibe. Bit of an oof on what's probably a fat suit joke, though, and that CGI is atrocious. Chalomet is giving something something Gene Milder idk eat your media slop fresh from the IP mill who cares

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looks bad, of course. I think it's mostly Timothy Charlemagne trying to break out of his moody boy typecasting more than anything else.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just remake Charlie and the Chocolate Factory every 25 or 30 years, it's not that complicated. Nobody cares about Wonka's origin story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I too would like to say that Chamalet looks pretty bad. Seems like he's going way too broad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This looks atrocious and immediately forgettable

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The writer/director of Paddington get a blank check from me so I'm going to watch this regardless, but yeah, Chalamet doesn't really ring that note of quirky charm that I'd expect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
They were probably like "Depp went too weird with it last time, let's get somebody more normal", which is not at all the right approach.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GrandpaPants posted:

The writer/director of Paddington get a blank check from me so I'm going to watch this regardless, but yeah, Chalamet doesn't really ring that note of quirky charm that I'd expect.

This is the only thing giving me a glimmer of hope. The Paddington movies were surprisingly great so I'll definitely give it the benefit of the doubt.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Just remake Charlie and the Chocolate Factory every 25 or 30 years, it's not that complicated. Nobody cares about Wonka's origin story.

Nope sorry, nothing can be a mystery, we have to learn the origin of the Jedi and the infinity stones and Professor X’s dog. Gotta squeeze every drop out of that ip

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They could've just made a film of the weirdly violent Broadway musical from a few years ago.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Wilder's Wonka is one of the most iconic movie characters of all-time. Nobody cares about Wonka's origin story but nobody really cares to see someone else whiff at playing Wonka in a Charlie remake.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I want present day Al Pacino as Wonka. Just haggard as all hell and chain smoking

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Should have gotten Michael Shannon for WONKA.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Colonel Whitey posted:

I want present day Al Pacino as Wonka. Just haggard as all hell and chain smoking

Oddly enough Pacino wants Chalamet to play the younger version of his character in Heat 2. Which I don't know if it works either because I can't really picture Timothee Chalamet shotgunning home invaders while hoped up on amphetamines

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Borderlands: The Movie
Is this movie actually going to come out someday, lmao?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Chalamet is a great actor and can be plenty weird, but I just don’t think it’s the right kind of weird, I want someone vaguely unsettling as Wonka, have a slight tinge of malice in there somewhere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

live with fruit posted:

Wilder's Wonka is one of the most iconic movie characters of all-time. Nobody cares about Wonka's origin story but nobody really cares to see someone else whiff at playing Wonka in a Charlie remake.

I'm fine with it if you let a generation turn over and wait like 25-30 years like I said. A 5 year old doesn't care if Wilder's version is iconic, they don't go into it with those preconceptions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Even the last version got into his origin a little bit, with has dad being a dentist, and all that bullshit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wonka: Dawn of Willy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Where I come from we just call that morning wood!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is not the Golden Path.

This is the abomination

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wonka: Rise of the Willy

e;f;b

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just make that dark (chocolate) remake of Willy Wonka where he cuts off the hands of the Oompah Loompahs if they don't make their cacao quotas

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope wily defeats all the bad capitalists and becomes ultimate good capitalist

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want Nicole Byer as Wonka

Or if we must cast white dudes then the Doughboys play him collectively

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlceGpbGgvE

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

i hope wily defeats all the bad capitalists and becomes ultimate good capitalist

i think you could actually do this if you had like guy richie (first british guy i could think of) or literally anyone with an inkling of imagination work on this. theres def something to the concept of a surreal deconstruction of the age of industrialization at the beginning of the twentieth century.
could speak to automation and centralization revolutionizing societies approach to labor, about the iron hand of capitalism closing on the throat of the world as the age of colonialism reaches its zenith. you could actually jokerpill this pretty easily too. but to speak of chocolate is to speak of empire and i think theres def something there that audiences could be hungry for.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDw6hGm7eUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cobrai Kai just can't act.