Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1676517209437290496?t=dmlOiqxmgHzzP0bZPnPqyg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I mean, yeah. But it's like how we found out how much of the human body was actually made of water from Unit 731.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

ScrubLeague posted:

If any democrat organization had this kind of imagination I would say these guys are definitely an op.

lol yeah definitely not an op. all the actual democrats are doing is making fun of him for growing up poor and coercing his girlfriend into getting an abortion in his early 20s. he's probably gonna get elected governor next year

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

[infinitely explanting :thunk: face]

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

why does the ukrainian ministry of defence have a web2000 style logo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pogorelov_ian/status/1676485834617372672?t=XivKioMmX1jLRevaXD70OA&s=19

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

the french are barely people

e:tbf I still like them more than the founding fathers

“if it be the Design of Providence to extirpate these Savages in order to make room for Cultivators of the Earth, it seems not improbable that Rum may be the appointed Means. It has already annihilated all the Tribes who formerly inhabited the Seacoast.”

~ benjamin franklin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

europe without borders: good, great even!
asia without borders: triple hitler genocide

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
so like I have no idea why there are Koreans in Uzbekistan

googled it

sounds like about one third of what the US did to every single native american population, am I missing something or is that why this take is hot

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the koreans in uzbekistan are clearly descended from army units that were trapped there at the end of the finno-korean hyperwar

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

exmarx posted:

why does the ukrainian ministry of defence have a web2000 style logo

been saying that the problem with this war is the aesthetics

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mantis42 posted:

gently caress parliament tho

Luckily it was replaced with one of the few things ever worse, rule by American businessmen.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, that's why they wanted representation. The heavies who made up the bulk of the bourgeoise who launched the American Revolution were all slavers chafing under the mercantilist system, often deeply indebted to British moneylenders, and aware that if Parliament got their poo poo together and banned slavery empire-wide they'd be absolutely hosed because a shitload of their capital was tied up in slavery. The rest were libs like Adams, who (although personally cool) were brought along for the ride with a bunch of highfalutin rhetoric about the Rights of Man which for guys like Washington and Jefferson started and stopped with white* men who owned property.

*and bear in mind that this is a group who thought Swedes and Germans were absolutely not white, and that even most Frenchmen were suspect.

Stopped clocks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally just a bunch of rich fucks who realised they're sitting on the next bunch of commons to enclose and wanted a bigger piece of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1678747020918489093

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

gotta separate the art from the artist

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Not really a hot take if you agree with the ideals of the Revolution. There's a reason the Bolsheviks did their best to prevent the same thing happening to their revolution.

It's always funny when Royalists make those attacks on him though. He killed millions of people for his own vanity even though he didn't have a holy last name like Bourbon or Habsburg!!!1!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I mean Napoleon completely and utterly betrayed Liberté, Egalité and Fraternité but he did also spend 15 years absolutely clowning on a bunch of dumb monarchies until he let it go to his head, which was funny as all hell.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea, if you judge a man by the enemies he makes then ol' napoleon couldn't have been all bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Failing to beat the British though...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Orange Devil posted:

I mean Napoleon completely and utterly betrayed Liberté, Egalité and Fraternité but he did also spend 15 years absolutely clowning on a bunch of dumb monarchies until he let it go to his head, which was funny as all hell.

Yeah he's definitely not a hero and did a lot of really terrible things but he was also really cool so who can say if he was good or bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Napoleon reversed the abolition of slavery that had been declared by the previous generation of revolutionary leaders (slavery wouldn't be re-abolished in French colonies until 1848) and tried to crush the Haitian Revolution with military force to re-enslave the people of Haiti, so I'm not convinced he was such a great guy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Napoleon = Liberal Stalin

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
he wore his hat in the right manner, which is more than i can say for some.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Napoleon was a freakin chud.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

In Training posted:

Napoleon was a freakin chad.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Quotey posted:

he wore his hat in the right manner, which is more than i can say for some.

nobody who wears a hat sees heaven

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

nobody who wears a hat sees heaven
that depends on the size of the brim

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
so basically napolean as depicted in bill & ted's excellent adventure remains the most accurate portrayal

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

vyelkin posted:

Napoleon reversed the abolition of slavery that had been declared by the previous generation of revolutionary leaders (slavery wouldn't be re-abolished in French colonies until 1848) and tried to crush the Haitian Revolution with military force to re-enslave the people of Haiti, so I'm not convinced he was such a great guy

Going to go out on a limb and say anyone who declares themselves emperor is not good. That includes Norton.

I will grant you that reestablishing slavery wasn't Napoleon's funniest moment though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Orange Devil posted:

That includes Norton.

hot take

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Napoleon was generally considered the worst person in history until Hitler went for the top spot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Napoleon was generally considered the worst person in history until Hitler went for the top spot.
This is your brain on Anglo propaganda.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
napoleon is considered a great guy here because when his frenchy mens conquered these lands from the austrians they let slavs do whatever the gently caress they wanted as long as they paid their taxes. it was a period of big cultural growth, compared to austrian or italian bullshit years where slav languages were either discouraged or straight up banned in places

really goes to show how low the loving bar is for peaceful coexistence, yet is somehow rarely realized throughout history

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
napoleon is lovely ice cream there I said it

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Napoleon had one of the worst cases of short man syndrome we have ever seen from the standpoint of shortness.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

he wasn't even short!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

vyelkin posted:

haiti must be the most damning example but i learned from the excellent Age of Napoleon podcast that on many subjects of political debate Napoleon made a big deal of being of two minds and open to arguments from all sides before doing something very regressive.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Age of napoleon is incredible and everyone should listen to it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

haiti must be the most damning example but i learned from the excellent Age of Napoleon podcast that on many subjects of political debate Napoleon made a big deal of being of two minds and open to arguments from all sides before doing something very regressive.

yea, i think it's p well established that he was a liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Orange Devil posted:

That includes Norton.

Got ourselves a McAfee lover here, boys.