Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/jmichaelsnews/status/1678769913337610254?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Deer God

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The justice of YHWH moves slowly, but at last Vermont is being punished for producing Bernie Sanders and denying Hillary Clinton the presidency.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

1 foot of capacity remaining as of 1130am EST, and the water is still rising.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So a state capital is just gonna wash away huh?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

they built it next to a hill instead of on a hill, they deserve this now

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NeonPunk posted:

That seems bad to me. Are you in any danger?

i'm in a safe place

which is NOT montpelier

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Wdym dam exploded. Vermont doesn't have climate change

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C-SPAM > Weatherdammerung 2022: 2023 Again, could be a dangerous situation

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vesi posted:

when it rains it pours

:agesilaus:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

All this Vermont stuff looks very Harvey-esque. Same type of updates/warnings, watching flood gauges inch toward doomsday, etc. Stay safe anyone up there.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PostNouveau posted:

Vermont hardly counts as a state.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

note that the dam is holding back one of the two rivers flowing into montpelier

let's check on the other one....

welp

here's what the city looked like this morning

https://twitter.com/bclemms/status/1678718547046850560

we're getting more rain this week

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Joementum posted:

note that the dam is holding back one of the two rivers flowing into montpelier

let's check on the other one....

welp

here's what the city looked like this morning

https://twitter.com/bclemms/status/1678718547046850560

we're getting more rain this week

when every street is waterbury street

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Acelerion posted:

All this Vermont stuff looks very Harvey-esque. Same type of updates/warnings, watching flood gauges inch toward doomsday, etc. Stay safe anyone up there.

oof yeah i know me saying this is just "thoughts and prayers" but i hope everyone will be okay :(

my mother in law is in vermont and flooding just started near her house. it's on a hill so we think she'll be okay but it's hard not to worry.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Send the Cajun Navy

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
is bernie's luxury cabin safe?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have a good family friend that lives in Rutland and her house is luckily not flooded but she is incredibly worried. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FlapYoJacks posted:

I have a good family friend that lives in Rutland and her house is luckily not flooded but she is incredibly worried. :smith:

The rains later in the week won't be nearly as bad and Rutland has good drainage into the lake and down Otter Creek, which didn't get overwhelmed in the storm, so if it's not flooded now, I doubt it's going to flood.

It's the Upper Valley that's hosed.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I've had good times in the applebees near montpelier hopefully that survives

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if you asked me which state capital would be the first to be destroyed by climate change, i wouldn't have guessed Vermont's.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oglethorpe posted:

is bernie's luxury cabin safe?

You rear end in a top hat we call it a dacha on this forum and you know it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uber_stoat posted:

if you asked me which state capital would be the first to be destroyed by climate change, i wouldn't have guessed Vermont's.

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Joementum posted:

The rains later in the week won't be nearly as bad and Rutland has good drainage into the lake and down Otter Creek, which didn't get overwhelmed in the storm, so if it's not flooded now, I doubt it's going to flood.

It's the Upper Valley that's hosed.

Thank goodness. Not that the upper valley is hosed, but that our family friend is going to be OK. She still has electricity and internet at least, as we are chatting on messenger!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I've had good times in the applebees near montpelier hopefully that survives

The Applebee's is, sadly, safe except for like 50 stranded semis chilling out in the surrounding parking lots.

For perspective on the dam issue, I went by downtown checking on the back roads to Burlington around 11 this morning and there was already standing water up over the wheelwells of the abandoned cars. If that's without the dam open, lol welp gg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had some amazing Tacos at "The Mad Taco" a few years ago in Montpelier. I hope they don't close permanently due to the flooding. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FlapYoJacks posted:

I had some amazing Tacos at "The Mad Taco" a few years ago in Montpelier. I hope they don't close permanently due to the flooding. :smith:

there are four of those in the state, with varying quality, but the ones in Essex Junction and Middlebury are going to be fine. no idea how Waitsfield is doing right now

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Didn't get any worthwhile photos of actual flooding since Montpelier was a zoo of gawking flatlanders and the road closure patterns meant my dashcam was never actually pointed at the water, but I managed to get a couple on the west side of Barre.

Fields out around my place during the storm. This is normally a hand-wide dry stream bed at the bottom of a depression maybe a meter deep.

The mural on River St. by the playground, earlier this morning.

Looking down Granite St. towards the back way, by the highway department and Capital Candy, that lets you avoid city square. Lucky that power substation got decommissioned.

River St. from the other direction. No, that is not normally a dirt road.

e: Found one to snip. The Winooski from the steel bridge over Montpelier's Granite St., by the coop, a couple blocks before it reaches downtown. (Ignore the hosed timestamp, it drifts and I'm too lazy to reset it.)

For perspective, here's streetview from last September:

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 11, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'm very sad about the weather. I'm sad for those people. This is really poo poo. Why can't we loving just stop killing our world and leaving a scary place for everyone's future. Are the treats really worth it.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

A Bad King posted:

Are the treats really worth it.

Yes

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A Bad King posted:

I'm very sad about the weather. I'm sad for those people. This is really poo poo. Why can't we loving just stop killing our world and leaving a scary place for everyone's future. Are the treats really worth it.

the people with all the power only get treats and will not be harmed by climate change

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's a small portion of humanity that is disastrously afraid of death. This all-consuming fear instigates, naturally, the hunt for immortality, and makes no allowance for half-measures in its pursuit. All is permitted - immortality is the goal.

If you are very crass and debased, with much to compensate for, you may choose to find immortality in capital. Piles of gold live on. You can go down in history, your name will be remembered, just on the basis of being very rich. In a futuristic society not unlike the one we live in now, you can buy immortality - replace your heart with a centrifuge, vampirise your offspring, upload your mind to the Cyber All.

Most people are satisfied for immortality just by having a kid though. Others seek immortality in their art. Not very many are entirely debased, not so many have very much for which to compensate. Bad luck for us that one man can destroy a masterpiece but not any one man alone can create one.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
When I die I hope I'm completely forgotten by everything and everyone as if I never existed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

1glitch0 posted:

When I die I hope I'm completely forgotten by everything and everyone as if I never existed.

eventually that will happen to everyone, the only question is how long it will take.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

1glitch0 posted:

Yet you post here. Interesting!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

They will remember me by my posting

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A Bad King posted:

Yet you post here. Interesting!

I make my posting very forgettable on purpose.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm making an extremely, extremely large tombstone with all my best posts

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

1glitch0 posted:

i yearn to be retroactively erased from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

1glitch0 posted:

I make my posting very forgettable on purpose.

much like ur...

hmmmm well played