Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Has anyone calculated the potential thickness of the plastic layer we're leaving behind in the geological record? Is it going to be a few millimeters thick? I just want to make sure it's potentially detectable for whatever ape-people might come long after us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
this video game i used to play had plastic ore in it that you could make plastic weapons out of and i still remember this excited post about how "plastic ore" exists irl

plastic ore would make a good minecraft mod

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

I know some people, some with land, some with food, some with guns. I would probably spend most of my day laboring outside just like now, except instead of edging mulching pruning and planting, I'd be straight up farming (however desperate an endeavor) or digging latrine ditches.

I die when I get a bad cold or there's an extra bad allergy season (like this year has mostly been), because I won't have any allergy or asthma medications. I probably wouldn't wanna slowly get less oxygen every day as congestion and inflammation strained my bronchial tubes and weighed down my lungs, so I'd ask a bro to knock me into a hole with a shovel to the head. But then they gently caress it up and I'm still conscious and bleeding and howling something fierce and they keep awkwardly trying to finish the job but its only hurting me more and my howling continues, and it is just an absolute vaudeville act. Then screenfreeze and sienfeld sounds play.

Ask for a cigar and a bottle of nitrogen for the optimal cook way to go out.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

A Bad King posted:

Has anyone calculated the potential thickness of the plastic layer we're leaving behind in the geological record? Is it going to be a few millimeters thick? I just want to make sure it's potentially detectable for whatever ape-people might come long after us.

the bird people will learn about you at the egg center there will be rides and stuff; your very corpse will power one of the animitrons

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

A Bad King posted:

estimates are 135 billion tons oil have been dug up, thats 150B cubic meters, total surface earth 500M km2 (150M km2 land area). thats 500(150)T m2, so .3mm(1mm) deep, if every drop of oil had been converted into plastic and evenly spaced.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I did immune therapy for my severe allergies. They figure out what you're allergic to and then inject you with tiny amounts of it. Every month they increase the amount a little bit and after about 3 years your body doesn't react to it anymore. Over a typical summer I don't take any allergy meds and I used to not be able to even go outside some days. The effect should last the rest of my life, as my immune system has been forcibly trained to stop making GBS threads itself over pollen. Highly recommend it if you can. Also Lasix for your lovely vision.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

how about if I just die instead?!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could implement some kind of alien technology that would immediately vaporize anyone who makes a comment like that, just poof gone

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
*patient coughs violently in front of my desk*

That's just breathing, lung cancer is a bit more complicated.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Fell Mood posted:

I did immune therapy for my severe allergies. They figure out what you're allergic to and then inject you with tiny amounts of it. Every month they increase the amount a little bit and after about 3 years your body doesn't react to it anymore. Over a typical summer I don't take any allergy meds and I used to not be able to even go outside some days. The effect should last the rest of my life, as my immune system has been forcibly trained to stop making GBS threads itself over pollen. Highly recommend it if you can. Also Lasix for your lovely vision.

:same: except I still have allergies just not completely uncontrollably debilitating. At least I learned young not to be afraid of shots, I remember when I'd show up I'd get three at a time.

What's wrong with my vision?!?!?

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Just saw this AMA from our friends over at r/futurology 😊😊 Looks like it's gonna be all right

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology...1&utm_content=2

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

I honestly thought this was satire until I clicked the account and saw all the Crowder retweets. I should know better by now

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bharatrocity posted:

Just saw this AMA from our friends over at r/futurology 😊😊 Looks like it's gonna be all right

Oh we just need to invent technology that gives us full control over the environment. Well that's a relief

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I used to be a doomer and degrowther. That was how we were trained in the environmental disciplines during my MS at Michigan and my PhD at UCLA. But once I started to learn about technology and disruption, which virtually none of my colleagues had any understanding of at all, my view of the future changed completely.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bharatrocity posted:

read this as r/futaology

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Bharatrocity posted:

You know what, I don't think I do have any questions about optimism

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ok domer

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Wheeee posted:

I used to be a doomer and degrowther. That was how we were trained in the environmental disciplines during my MS at Michigan and my PhD at UCLA. But once I started to learn about technology and disruption, which virtually none of my colleagues had any understanding of at all, my view of the future changed completely.

I used to think things were bad when I was receiving training from scientists, but then I started listening to people who wanted to sell me stuff and they told a whole different story. I didn't think about why, and neither should you

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

reddit posted:

Don't let climate change affect your decision to have children. We can and will solve climate change. There are other more important factors to consider in your life, but all the catastrophism about climate change is misguided nonsense based on technological ignorance.

phew we don’t need this thread anymore

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

maybe he’s not actually stupid, maybe he realized this was how to get paid and just started lying

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Brain Curry posted:

phew we don’t need this thread anymore

There's technology that you're ignorant of that will fix everything, and I won't be telling you what it is

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Bharatrocity posted:

Op for anyone who doesn't wanna click a reddit link

quote:

Hi Everyone, Adam Dorr here!

I'm the Director of Research at RethinkX, an independent think tank founded by Tony Seba and James Arbib. Over the last five years we've published landmark research about the disruption of energy, transportation, and food by new technologies. I've also just published a new book: Brighter: Optimism, Progress, and the Future of Environmentalism. We're doing a video series too.

A large part of my work and mission today is to share the understanding that I've built with the help of Tony, James, and all of my teammates at RethinkX, and explain why the DATA show that there has never been greater cause for optimism. With the new, clean technologies that have already begun to disrupt energy, transportation, food, and labor, we WILL be able to solve our most formidable environmental challenges - including climate change!

So ask me anything about technology, disruption, optimism, progress, the environment, solving climate change, clean energy, AI, and humanity's future!

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I too was trained to be a doomer, at Harvard. Haven’t learned about technology yet think that’s next semester

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wheeee posted:

:five:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

~ D I S R U P T I O N ~

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just disrupt the climate

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wait, poo poo

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

quote:

Because we are headed into a world of clean energy superabundance, the solution to freshwater availability is part of the package. It's one of the many reasons why superbundant, ultra-cheap, clean energy from solar and wind is such a great deal for humanity and the planet!

Yup, we'll be getting that super abundant, ultra-cheap, clean energy aaaannnnnnnyyyy day now

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

Do NOT disrupt the climate

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
this one made me lol but it's too big to quote so i'm gonna screenshot it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When you were doom-mongering, I studied disruption. When you were shitposting, I mastered innovation. While you wasted your days in pursuit of degrowth, I cultivated optimism.

And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to ask me anything?

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm not sure I understand this post - care to elaborate??

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
what are you gonna do? disrupt me?

- climate disrupted by man

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ELTON JOHN posted:

what are you gonna do? disrupt me?

- climate disrupted by man

lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

hope that question asker is dismissed as a doomer and degrowther

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
https://www.reddit.com/user/NintenZX/

Pretty sure this is the dudes sock puppet account. He uses this to ask himself questions in the AMA and also pretends to be some climate anxious person but probably just mining Reddit answers on various subs, no doubt for use in his think tank and to gauge public. Same esoteric use of certain words and grammar

Soggy Muffin has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Jul 11, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
move fast and burn things

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Wheeee posted:

Microplastics posted:

When you were doom-mongering, I studied disruption. When you were shitposting, I mastered innovation. While you wasted your days in pursuit of degrowth, I cultivated optimism.

And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to ask me anything?

Dr. Pangloss or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Doom

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

celadon posted:

estimates are 135 billion tons oil have been dug up, thats 150B cubic meters, total surface earth 500M km2 (150M km2 land area). thats 500(150)T m2, so .3mm(1mm) deep, if every drop of oil had been converted into plastic and evenly spaced.

This is extremely disappointing and my hopes for some sort of remnant to our insanity have taken a massive dive. Maybe the short-lived isotopes in the atmosphere from nuclear testing will have to do?

Twigand Berries posted:

the bird people will learn about you at the egg center there will be rides and stuff; your very corpse will power one of the animitrons

I wish it were to be true, but I don't live in a region where fossilization happens in this geological epoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"I'm more optimistic than most, because I lived in Oman for over 10 years. Oman is one of the hottest countries in the world, and Muscat is (I believe) the hottest capital city in the world.

Life in Oman is fantasic! But you really do need good air conditioning. Otherwise it is pretty tough for a sizable part of the year."

lmao