Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
After almost two months working here I've been told my hair is too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

God. I hate this job.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Ass-penny

Dr. Honked posted:

something awful dot com!

wow, Lowtax fails us from beyond the grave. where is my pig balls servers??

Ass-penny

Ominous Jazz posted:

After almost two months working here I've been told my hair is too long

tell them to eat your rear end imo

like tying it up isn't good enough??

Escape From Noise

I really hope I can find a new job sooner rather than later. Recent developments are leaving me incredibly stressed out and depressed.

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style

rear end-penny posted:

tell them to eat your rear end imo

like tying it up isn't good enough??

I uh
Don't know how to tie my hair up

Escape From Noise

Ominous Jazz posted:

I uh

VERY CAREFULLY! :xd:

Gaylor Moon

Gender? I hardly know'er
My supervisor and her supervisor were in her office discussing idk supervisory things and I hear one of them mention the name 'jim davis' and like, no forethought at all I just yell HEY ISN'T THAT THE CARTOONIST FROM GARFIELD??? and big boss just pokes his head out and is like I..... don't know how to answer that

Escape From Noise

Gaylor Moon posted:

My supervisor and her supervisor were in her office discussing idk supervisory things and I hear one of them mention the name 'jim davis' and like, no forethought at all I just yell HEY ISN'T THAT THE CARTOONIST FROM GARFIELD??? and big boss just pokes his head out and is like I..... don't know how to answer that

The answer is "He's more the creator/figurehead".

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
just spent the past 10 minutes listening to one coworker discuss how the bible needs to be rewritten because it's been proven that humans are older than the bible because of aliens or something. also, the sphinx was originally some other organism but then got re-carved to be the sphinx. also also the pyramids aren't tombs, they're some sort of electrical power storage device. ANCIENT BATTERIES

the other coworker told us about how Stonehenge is a giant subwoofer.

the first co-worker later turned to me and told me the other one is nuts.

get me
the
gently caress OUT OF HERE

F U C K

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
stonehenge subwoofer guy is kind of on the money https://hub.salford.ac.uk/sirc-acoustics/architecture-and-building-acoustics/acoustics-of-stonehenge/

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Escape From Noise

The restaurant manager was dumbfounded about the two pitches of liquid yeast that came in at the beginning of the month and didn't know what they were for DESPITE REQUESTING THAT I GET THEM BECAUSE HE WANTED SOME SPECIFIC BEERS! SOMETHING THAT I CONFIRMED WITH HIM MULTIPLE TIMES AT THE LAST MEETING!!!

He also asked me about calculating the exact volume of finished beer in the tank that could be packaged before packaging because he thinks that's somehow important for deciding how many 10 liter kegs vs 20 liter kegs to fill. I told him I could do an estimate but I can't get it completely accurately because things like pressure and trub make the sight glass a less than accurate way of measuring liquid in the tank. He asked me if that's really true and if it's how other places do it. Motherfucker never loving believes me when I tell him I can't take care of some of his bizarre requests. Like why even ask me then if you're the loving expert? It's loving insulting.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 11, 2023

xcheopis

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

ooh that'd be my daily driver if the labels i need to write on at work didn't smudge horribly with gel pens. i use the 0.5mm g2 when i write on paper tho. i'm a tiny writer and love the scritchin

Sakura Micron archival pens

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Gaylor Moon

Gender? I hardly know'er

Sarah Cenia posted:

just spent the past 10 minutes listening to one coworker discuss how the bible needs to be rewritten because it's been proven that humans are older than the bible because of aliens or something. also, the sphinx was originally some other organism but then got re-carved to be the sphinx. also also the pyramids aren't tombs, they're some sort of electrical power storage device. ANCIENT BATTERIES

get me
the

F U C K

*hits blunt* heh hell yeah man

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

The restaurant manager was dumbfounded about the two pitches of liquid yeast that came in at the beginning of the month and didn't know what they were for DESPITE REQUESTING THAT I GET THEM BECAUSE HE WANTED SOME SPECIFIC BEERS! SOMETHING THAT I CONFIRMED WITH HIM MULTIPLE TIMES AT THE LAST MEETING!!!

He also asked me about calculating the exact volume of finished beer in the tank that could be packaged before packaging because he thinks that's somehow important for deciding how many 10 liter kegs vs 20 liter kegs to fill. I told him I could do an estimate but I can't get it completely accurately because things like pressure and trub make the sight glass a less than accurate way of measuring liquid in the tank. He asked me if that's really true and if it's how other places do it. Motherfucker never loving believes me when I tell him I can't take care of some of his bizarre requests. Like why even ask me then if you're the loving expert? It's loving insulting.

Tell him I'll meet him in the ring on NJPW Strong. Not joking, I'll throw down with his rear end. You need out of there, how do we make Escape From Beer happen???

Escape From Noise

I'm working on my own place but that's going to take time. I thought I'd wait it out but the situation here has gotten so bad so quickly.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I know. Lmk what I can do to help. I know you have the skills and the work ethic, let's figure out how to make it happen.

I still owe you Excel stuff, my work is currently killing me but remind me in a couple three hours so I can send you my stuff.

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

cool, thank you for your input. lord only knows what SAs servers are named lmao

As previously mentioned, forums.somethingawful.com.

This is one of the few places on the Internet where the name of the server actually reflects what the hell it's serving. Your instinct to suspect it'll be some random thing is spot on: it's just that SA never moved out of the 90s.

(I'm not convinced moving out of the 90s was a good idea for architecture)

cruft

Sarah Cenia posted:

get me
the

F U C K

I'm pretty sure you actually work in hell.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I uh

YouTube and practice! Putting in a hair tie is something I assumed was intuitive until I had to explain it to my husband and couldn't actually put it into words. Gotta watch someone's hands real close, then do it enough to develop the muscle memory.
Play with your hair, it's fun!

*I'm choosing to focus on hair talk right now because work is a neverending vortex of stress, uncertainty and boredom, but learning how to braid is straightforward, tangible and achievable*

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

As previously mentioned, forums.somethingawful.com.

This is one of the few places on the Internet where the name of the server actually reflects what the hell it's serving. Your instinct to suspect it'll be some random thing is spot on: it's just that SA never moved out of the 90s.

(I'm not convinced moving out of the 90s was a good idea for architecture)

it is all cloudified and whatnot now

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style
It should not take me 10 minutes to microwave a bowl of chili why does it suck

DaChurl

On a related note, I kind of want to buy a cheap head/block thing and a wig with curly hair so I can figure out how to french braid the two year old's hair. She cannot stay still long enough for me to practice and figuring it out on my own head means the muscle memory get all turned around when I try to do it on someone else's head. Also need to learn how to work better with curly hair in general.

She came home from daycare one day with french braid pigtails because the teacher noticed she kept pushing her hair out of her face so she "just braided it real quick." I was mystified. Pretty sure she's a hair wizard.

Ass-penny

Ominous Jazz posted:

I uh

like DaChurl said, play with it, figure it out. one of my mates suggested switching from hair elastics to those clips with teeth, she said it avoids hairs getting wrapped around the elastic, pulling, etc. I believe this is a skill you can learn. talk to the other people in your life with long hair, they can be a font of information.

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style
My hair is up and back enough that nobody is saying anything.

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style
They apparently aren't paying me for the 4th and 3rd so my paycheck has a 16 hour hole in it

Ass-penny

Ominous Jazz posted:

They apparently aren't paying me for the 4th and 3rd so my paycheck has a 16 hour hole in it

what the gently caress? I'd start cutting off heads until payroll got fixed.

DaChurl

Yeah, seriously, burn it down

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
WORK PUNKS gently caress OFF <:mad:>

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Squirrels2Nuts

comedere nuces omni tempore
the light inside has broken but i still work

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Oops, turns out our client expects us to submit documentation of our QC process as part of our deliverable. Also, they expect us to have a QC process. That would have been a good thing to know 8 months ago when we started this project.

Areola Grande

cruft posted:

I like Cookie Clicker a whole lot.

tried this out just now and i'm afraid i don't understand the appeal

:negcycle:

Escape From Noise

Yesterday I wrote into the group text saying that the current production schedule process needed an overhaul because there was no way I could work effectively that way. The section head and general manager came in to talk to me. They seemed concerned and basically said I could take control of the schedule, all they wanted was to know how many beers I'd be releasing per month. I guess the restaurant manager either:
A. Misunderstood what upper management was trying to communicate.
B. Misrepresented what upper management was trying to communicate.
C. Was trying to insert himself into a position of authority above me/become my manager
D. Some combination thereof.

I strongly suspect at least a certain amount of C seeing as this isn't the first time he's done this and fallen on his face because he's incompetent as hell. Doesn't stop him from trying though. I also still have authority to make orders on my own.

more falafel please

forums poster

Areola Grande posted:

tried this out just now and i'm afraid i don't understand the appeal

:negcycle:

after a few minutes it stops being "click button make number go up" and becomes "check back every 10 minutes to see how you should allocate resources"

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Areola Grande

more falafel please posted:

after a few minutes it stops being "click button make number go up" and becomes "check back every 10 minutes to see how you should allocate resources"

so it's an idle game. I liked Tiny Tower back in the day but idk about this. I'm rlly into puzzle games tho

cruft

And then it turns into "update spreadsheet with new values and predict what your best next option is"

It's not gonna appeal to everyone, but I love it.

cruft

Oh, and then it turns into "explore caves" and there's this weird subplot about alternate dimension grannies and evil beings that eat your cookies.

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style

rear end-penny posted:

what the gently caress? I'd start cutting off heads until payroll got fixed.

Oh apparently it's on purpose. The agency that got me into this company and this company keep passing the buck. What a loving scam.

Escape From Noise

Ugh. I don't want to bottle tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

My home workstation is pretty much finalized at this point, so I plugged in the watt meter.

With everything turned on, including running the few personal things plugged in (a clock and my personal laptop), I'm drawing about 45 watts. When I turn on the ultrasonic humidifier I'm using to cool off, it goes up to about 60 watts.

That's less than half the energy my old office used just to turn on the lights.