Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thats the church of patron St Galvao, known as Atos.

It's a growing number of gyms ran by big name stars to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nice and hot piss posted:

I think I drank too much water which was my issue. I was rolling with a blue belt and as we were discussing a few things I mentioned very casually I was gonna swing outside for a minute. I proceeded to puke up pretty much nothing but liquids for a few minutes, thew back on the gi I borrowed from the gym. Instructor asked if I was good, I was, kept rolling. The rest of the class was still an exhaustive smoke fest but fortunately everything inside of me stayed inside of me.

Regardless, Hoping that I don't get a call for work tonight because I really want to go back and keep at this.

Heres a BJJ puke story.

Here's a few details needed to understand this story.

The gym I used to train at is fairly small in mat space, but hugely popular and the gym owner is friends with a ton of other schools. So mat space during special occasions can get really limited, like shoulder to shoulder moshing with 40 people on a mat for 20 kinda thing.

The AC doesn't really work well and we're located in georgia.

At the gym I used to train at we'd have fun little year end awards around the holidays.

My former coach spins really really long winded irrelevant yarns even when teaching normal classes.

The long story short of this thing is I go to this year end open mat and for some reason this year the coach decided to do awards and poo poo at the start of rolling instead of at the end. Due to the amount of heat generated and people wanting to be polite he made the thing go so long, me and a few other people end up having to run out of the room to puke due to dehydration.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Did BJJ for the first time last night, I puked.

Going back tonight for another beating, glad this thread exists.

I tell white belts to focus on their breathing. You dont need to gas yourself unless you're putting energy into an escape or pass, otherwise relax.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rolled today. Didn't puke, class was more focused on technique rather than just sparring. Tons of fun and good people.

Now I gotta find a place to go where I live

vvv: It would be northern colorado area, so fort collins/loveland area if anyone has any good recommendations

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 30, 2023

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

The Homies ITT might be able to help with that. Speaking of which: I am moving to Orlando FL in a week and need a place to train. I prefer nogi with the option to dabble in gi and ideally a noon open mat but am otherwise open to suggestions if anyone has any experience in the area.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

The Homies ITT might be able to help with that. Speaking of which: I am moving to Orlando FL in a week and need a place to train. I prefer nogi with the option to dabble in gi and ideally a noon open mat but am otherwise open to suggestions if anyone has any experience in the area.

bruno malfacine has an alliance gym there, which is also where i think alec baulding does stuff out of (if not he's also in orlando and seems to do stuff with a UCF group of jiu jitsu people). they seem to do both gi and no gi and from what i've heard from friends in florida its a good gym but that was a while back.

https://www.brunomalfacine.com/schedule

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 30, 2023

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Found a BJJ place up in fort collins, did a session with them and welp, guess I'm gonna see if I can fit a 7A.M and a noon class into my schedule now.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mekchu posted:

bruno malfacine has an alliance gym there, which is also where i think alec baulding does stuff out of (if not he's also in orlando and seems to do stuff with a UCF group of jiu jitsu people). they seem to do both gi and no gi and from what i've heard from friends in florida its a good gym but that was a while back.

https://www.brunomalfacine.com/schedule

I watched Bruno at the IBJJF Atlanta Open years ago and that dude can teleport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Got the poo poo kicked out of me by a visiting brown belt last night. Nice guy. Good times.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I wish one of these reporters would straight up ask Gordon why his brother is not training with him at NewWave. Like tell us the loving reason. We know, but I want to hear it from Gordons mouth.

Found a BJJ place up in fort collins, did a session with them and welp, guess I'm gonna see if I can fit a 7A.M and a noon class into my schedule now.

Thats great! Making 7am a routine for years really helped me with being disciplined and getting to where I am. Now I am a lazy brown belt that limps his way into class, usually after warmups are over and help with class.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I wish one of these reporters would straight up ask Gordon why his brother is not training with him at NewWave. Like tell us the loving reason. We know, but I want to hear it from Gordons mouth.

Thats great! Making 7am a routine for years really helped me with being disciplined and getting to where I am. Now I am a lazy brown belt that limps his way into class, usually after warmups are over and help with class.

they have. nicky ryan (as well as all the b-team guys) have spoken that its not something they're gonna share unless nicky ryan outright agrees to talking about it. which implies its deeply personal/private of a thing.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Just pulled my back in the dumbest way possible.

I was helping the dojo owner practice a self defense demonstration for the upcoming 20th anniversary celebration, and I'm supposed to bear hug him from behind.

We're trying to decide what his best options are and someone suggests I lift him up and he twists around so I have to drop him on his feet.

Turns out that works really well!!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Lol

I just hurt my back the regular way - rolling with people way stronger than me and stupidly trying to match their intensity now I'm a brown belt.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I just massively pinched a nerve in my upper back… getting up from a beach chair. You can’t make this poo poo up. I roll hours a week and nothing… but standing up from a chair…

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I pulled my back one time just setting up my guard pass from the headquarters position and then making a slow upward motion. I was already warmed up and it happened. The joys of getting older....

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Finally back in the gym after several years of long covid. So sore.

And now the 3 year old is sick :doh: which means I gotta miss my literal second class back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Finally back in the gym after several years of long covid. So sore.

And now the 3 year old is sick :doh: which means I gotta miss my literal second class back.

Getting back into is always difficult. I took a month off due to work and relocation stuff happening and Im finding it very hard to get back in.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How long is class times with what ever youre training? The judo place I goto is an hour thirty with the back twenty being randori, and I am dying by the end of it while BJJ is an hour with the back thirty being rolling and its fine.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Attempting and defending throws and takedowns always tires me out faster than anything else

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
About to go try out a few bjj places in my area so I found this thread and took a bit to read back a few pages. The red flag stuff will probably come in handy.

I'm taking my kids to a Gracie university school for one of their bullyproof seminars. One of them seems pretty keen on doing it. Also looking for a place for myself, but having trouble deciding between a few places in my town.

The Gracie Uni place (level1) has this "free" trial thing where you have to buy a gi then get reimbursed for it if you decide not to continue after the free trial. Idk if the norton antivirus style of monetization is common in the bjj world or not, but I plan on shopping around. Main reason I looked into that school was the instructor came highly recommended by a buddy of mine who does mma. Instructor is a blue belt it appears in pictures on their site which I found odd.

Another place is Gracie barra affiliated I believe and the 3rd I don't know much about haven't talked to them yet. Both these other 2 school have a lot more adults in the classes.

I think I'm actively talking myself out of the Gracie Uni place as I type.. idk lol The guy seems legit despite the rank, but what do I know. I've only dabbled in bjj doing "mma" stuff 20 years ago and a little judo. Whatever the first promotion is in judo. I forget green or blue w/e that was at least 15 years ago.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Grapple Hut Huddle, July 2023

This month I’m on a vacation of sorts so won’t be providing much beyond a quick news recap and highlight of big grappling events for July. I have an article I’m excited to share which you can find on my personal substack The Grapple Hut that will be coming out in August or so.

THIS MONTH'S BIG GRAPPLING EVENTS

July 14 - ONE Fight Night 12: Kai vs Le 2 (ONE’s YouTube)

While there is only one grappling event happening on ONE Fight Night 12, let’s be clear that in general ONE’s cards out of Thailand under the ONE Friday Fights and ONE Fight Night banners have been bangers. The card is mostly MMA heavy but features a Muay Thai main event with Superlek so that’s worth staying tuned for. The grappling match is a women’s 125lb bout pitting Tammi Musumeci against Amanda Alequin, both of whom are incredibly talented. Musumeci is an ADCC veteran making her return to competition after her last showing in March at ONE Fight Night 8. Alequin has faced Musumeci in a losing effort back in 2021, and is looking to even the score. She’s not been as active though and this will be her first notable match in 2023. Also, much like when Kade Ruotolo took on Tommy Langaker a few weeks back, this is going to be a grappling match held in a kickboxing ring which means there’s some likelihood of ring based comedic shenanigans.

THE NEWS

There’s been a decent run of news that relates to jiu jitsu/grappling in terms of professional competition over the past few weeks.

Lachlan Giles Given $100k USD To Help Growth of Australian Jiu Jitsu Scene

Lachlan Giles, who we all love and adore, recently announced some interesting news. He has been entrusted with $100,000 USD to help the growth of jiu jitsu in his home country of Australia via an anonymous donor. Giles has been given the autonomy to do with the funds whatever he sees fit.

Lachlan has already put half the money towards supporting active competitors (provided they pass a drug test). His criteria was that the funds would be for active competitors who have been successful in internationally recognized tournaments. Mostly, this is all to help support those athletes’ careers and provide them more financial stability than what is typically found within the sport.

The usage of the second half of the fund given to Giles has yet to be announced but its likely to be meant be used in a similar fashion down the line.

ADCC Adds New Women’s Weight Class

The ADCC World Championship event has long been seen as the pinnacle of competitive jiu jitsu, and one thing has been noted in all that time: there’s a lack of women’s divisions. For the longest time now there’s only been two divisions, the -66kg and the +66kg divisions respectively. For the 2024 ADCC World Championship, ADCC announced that they will be introducing a new weight class for the women’s division with the introduction of a 60kg division.

This is a big opportunity for lighter weight women’s competitors who were either unable to compete against those in the -66kg division due to size disparities, or just didn’t have much opportunity for high level competition. With this, and hopefully more, weight class additions for the women’s division to be on par with the men’s, there is potential for a larger growth in the women’s competitive scene.

2024 ADCC World Championship Venue Announced

ADCC have recently announced that their 2024 ADCC World Championship event will indeed be returning to Las Vegas for the third time in a row. Given the decent fan attendance and overall preference for the city by ADCC and for the most part the competitors, this part isn’t too shocking.

However they also announced a step up in terms of the venue. In 2022, the World Championship was hosted at the Thomas & Mack Center with 12,000 fans in attendance, setting a record for the grappling event. This time for the 2024 ADCC World Championship, the organization has officially announced that the event will take place inside the T-Mobile Arena, a significantly larger arena with the potential space for 18,000 spectators.

UFC Aiming For Six Grappling Events A Year

In the vlogs by B-Team tracking Craig Jones, Haisam Rida, and Nick Rodriguez’s UFC Fight Pass Invitational 4 journey, there was a section of the pre-event rules meeting wherein one of the UFC staff shared information on the future UFC has for their grappling events. Specifically there will be two more events later this year with one in September and another in December. Further more, it was indicated that the UFC are aiming to host and put on more jiu jitsu events on the Fight Pass streaming service, with claims its supported across the whole company up to the folks working at Endeavor (UFC’s parent company). In addition, with Polaris, Subhunter Pro, and UFC Fight Pass Invitational events on the platform the UFC are hoping to host between 18 to 20 jiu jitsu events throughout 2024.

In a post-event discussion on the B-Team’s YouTube channel, Nicky Ryan elaborated further that the UFC stated there are discussions of holding six UFC Fight Pass Invitational events per year starting next year. This all seems to indicate that although the UFC & ADCC streaming deal weirdly started and ended within a month of its announcement, the UFC are still looking to encroach on FloGrappling’s stranglehold on high level competitive jiu jitsu events for a cheaper price to watch.

Georges St. Pierre To Compete In Grappling

Long time MMA favorite Georges St. Pierre announced he’s returning to competition, but not in an MMA bout. At the UFC 290 prefight press conference it was revealed that GSP will be competing on the December 14th UFC Fight Pass Invitational 6 card, though no opponent was announced at the time of writing. GSP is now in his 40s (dear god we’re getting old) and hasn’t been active in any form of competition other than people fawning over his hair since 2017 when he won the UFC Middleweight championship.

While there’s been no confirmation on an opponent, GSP is very keen to have a grappling match against former UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov which would be fairly entertaining as both GSP and Khabib are lauded for their grappling and wrestling abilities.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 11, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

BounceBanana posted:

About to go try out a few bjj places in my area so I found this thread and took a bit to read back a few pages. The red flag stuff will probably come in handy.

Anything you're kids are keen on is probably alright for now, as long as they're not charging extortionate prices. Kids' enthusiasm is probably the most important thing for their chances to continue training.

For yourself, I would definitely check out the other two places before going with the blue belt coach. The blue belt might be amazing, or they might have done an online Gracie course and fancy themselves. It doesn't hurt to do the trials the other two offer and then consider.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

starkebn posted:

Anything you're kids are keen on is probably alright for now, as long as they're not charging extortionate prices. Kids' enthusiasm is probably the most important thing for their chances to continue training.

For yourself, I would definitely check out the other two places before going with the blue belt coach. The blue belt might be amazing, or they might have done an online Gracie course and fancy themselves. It doesn't hurt to do the trials the other two offer and then consider.

That's about what I was thinking, but good to hear someone confirm it. Thanks.
It's about 2 weeks b4 my 1st scheduled trial class which is because of my work schedule, but I might be able to work something in before then.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think any random person could probably outcoach one of those online gracie blue belt coaches

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regardless of teaching quality, the school is probably going to charge more. Making you buy a gi for a trial is nuts and that franchise is known to care more about money than anything else. Ask them, and other schools, if you have to pay for belts and testing, and if so how much.

Don't be afraid to ask other students what made them choose this particular school. You may get a lot of "it was the closest" or "I see it on my way to work", but you may slso get, "I was at [other school] and I didn't like [problem], that doesn't happen here."

I'd want to see people laughing, having a good time, and being friendly with each other. Even if they look really serious or even mad during the practice fights, they should also both look happy afterwards; "oh, great round" "yeah, you too, you did a great job of XYZ". I know you're new to BJJ so the practice foghts themselves might look mystifying but if it looks like people are mad at each other after the fight, that's a huge red flag to me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regardless of teaching quality, the school is probably going to charge more. Making you buy a gi for a trial is nuts and that franchise is known to care more about money than anything else. Ask them, and other schools, if you have to pay for belts and testing, and if so how much.

Don't be afraid to ask other students what made them choose this particular school. You may get a lot of "it was the closest" or "I see it on my way to work", but you may slso get, "I was at [other school] and I didn't like [problem], that doesn't happen here."

I'd want to see people laughing, having a good time, and being friendly with each other. Even if they look really serious or even mad during the practice fights, they should also both look happy afterwards; "oh, great round" "yeah, you too, you did a great job of XYZ". I know you're new to BJJ so the practice foghts themselves might look mystifying but if it looks like people are mad at each other after the fight, that's a huge red flag to me.

Not an empty quote.

The only thing I'd add is cleanliness. The mats should be disinfected regularly, hopefully after every class. A gym being visibly dirty is a big problem.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A blue belt is fine for teaching kids classes because the requirements for that in no particular order is not a creep and good with teaching children actually being good at BJJ is a bonus and if theyre following a set curriculum then itll turn out fine.

Theres no reason in the year of our lord 2023, in america, that an adult class is run by less than a purple belt and only then I would be suspicious unless the school was owned by a brown or black belt or the bjj class is just in addition to the main hustle of the gym like it being mainly a judo gym.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's a good idea, talking to the other students. Though knowing my level of social prowess, it'll probably come out sounding like, "what's a guy like you doing in a place like this?" lol

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Shot in the dark, but any goons attending Globetrotters camp in Estonia next week?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Shot in the dark, but any goons attending Globetrotters camp in Estonia next week?

That's such a shot in the dark I laughed irl

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

Theres no reason in the year of our lord 2023, in america, that an adult class is run by less than a purple belt and only then I would be suspicious unless the school was owned by a brown or black belt or the bjj class is just in addition to the main hustle of the gym like it being mainly a judo gym.

If you're truly in the middle of nowhere, you gotta take what you can get, and the Gracie Garage system is actually perfect for that--"watch some video lessons, test it out with your buddies, have an expert check in on how your technique looks from time to time" is pretty much how the sport was practiced waaaay back in the day by a lot of the people who are now multi-stripe black belts. There's also rare edge cases where someone has bounced around too much from work to stay at one gym long enough to be promoted to the proper level, or they might have come in with a strong judo or wrestling background--so not necessarily knowledgeable on the intricacies of advanced guard work, but still able to teach you much more about grappling than some shmoe off the street.

That said, if you're in a city with multiple gyms? There's almost no reason to settle for a blue belt instructor unless every legit gym is run by a psychopath or something.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I am not, but I do want to do a Globetrotters camp at some point. Would love for you to post your thoughts on the camp once it's over!

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

duckdealer posted:

I am not, but I do want to do a Globetrotters camp at some point. Would love for you to post your thoughts on the camp once it's over!

I did another one actually a few months ago (https://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/springcamp2023) and it was really fun. Everyone I rolled with was chill, the sessions were good (I attended two: greco-roman wrestling for BJJ + better armbar attacks) and overall vibe was nice. As a 35yo who just started rolling again, I did however roll way too much (3 days of open mat + our own club open mats in the evenings) and managed to damage my knee ligaments. This camp's guidebook also has a recommendation to hold back and not overtrain so I'll try to keep that in mind :D

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I did another one actually a few months ago (https://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/springcamp2023) and it was really fun. Everyone I rolled with was chill, the sessions were good (I attended two: greco-roman wrestling for BJJ + better armbar attacks) and overall vibe was nice. As a 35yo who just started rolling again, I did however roll way too much (3 days of open mat + our own club open mats in the evenings) and managed to damage my knee ligaments. This camp's guidebook also has a recommendation to hold back and not overtrain so I'll try to keep that in mind :D

Sounds awesome! The main thing that has stopped me from going to one this year is the price of flights, but maybe next year.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

If you're truly in the middle of nowhere, you gotta take what you can get, and the Gracie Garage system is actually perfect for that--"watch some video lessons, test it out with your buddies, have an expert check in on how your technique looks from time to time" is pretty much how the sport was practiced waaaay back in the day by a lot of the people who are now multi-stripe black belts. -[

You can certainly get away with tape trading and rolling with the boys in the garage to learn SOMETHING, but paying someone to teach you what they learned in that fashion is not something I'd personally consider a good use of money.

quote:

-so not necessarily knowledgeable on the intricacies of advanced guard work, but still able to teach you much more about grappling than some shmoe off the street.

This might be a philosophical difference, but if you are not good at using the guard while wearing the gi, you shouldn't be presenting yourself as a BJJ instructor. It'd be like a BJJ dude passing themselves off as an instructor in judo, when they have great newaza but their practical standup skills are limited to a mediocre ouchi-gari and an alright osoto gari.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Digging further into the instructors at the schools here in my town, it seems as though the instructors at 2 of the schools trained at the 3rd school. My instinct is steering me towards training where they trained. I don't know the history of the instructors prior to joining that school though so I'll still check them all out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
worth remembering you can leave and go join whatever gym you want and shouldn't be made to feel bad or guilty or whatever. just go where you wanna go. if you dislike the gym you dislike it.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Mekchu posted:

worth remembering you can leave and go join whatever gym you want and shouldn't be made to feel bad or guilty or whatever. just go where you wanna go. if you dislike the gym you dislike it.

Are annual contracts not common for bjj schools? I remember as a kid/ teen 25+ years ago that contracts were very common. edit: for martial arts, karate or taekwondo schools

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Annual memberships are common. But they should be an option along with monthly, 10 punch pass, single class pass, etc.

If an annual contract is the only choice then that is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BounceBanana posted:

Are annual contracts not common for bjj schools? I remember as a kid/ teen 25+ years ago that contracts were very common. edit: for martial arts, karate or taekwondo schools

i've only recently encountered them but even then, if you're not happy just leave when the contract is done?