Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GENIC0N/status/1678500823339335680?t=JLn37jNbh4NKs2qq13P1Bg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/woketopus/status/1678568878782152707?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/empiricgame/status/1678539364941418496?s=46&t=8g1SJ87BoVmp86tfUCXz2A

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/lostkagamine/status/1678537388417507328

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
usbc was a mistake

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

usbc was a mistake

nah

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I forgot the magsafe charger for my macbook at the office so on a whim I tried to see if it would also charge from one of the usb-c ports, and was happy to discover that it worked. I later tried a usb-c to usb-a cord that came with some cheap thing I can't remember, and it didn't work.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

usbc was a mistake

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
usb’s nutz

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

usbc turning into a charging standard was a good thing

jury's still out on the rest of it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

is too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nah all prior usb is lovely as hell this is the first good one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

nah all prior usb is lovely as hell this is the first good one

nuh-uh. usbc is stupid and usb3 is way better.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you just need like 10 of these cables and you'll never have a cable problem again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Perplx posted:

you just need like 10 of these cables and you'll never have a cable problem again

lol what a huge ripoff. i got a thunderbolt 4 cable about that length from amazon for far less than half that price (~$40 iirc)

rotor posted:

usbc was a mistake

the concept and connector are good, the mistake was extending it to usb 2. that tweet is right, like 99% of the bundled cables that come with stuff are usb 2 and it's absolute garbage. if it's a little dinky thin cable i almost immediately throw it away unless it's a really tiny one for charging or something

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

polyester concept posted:

I forgot the magsafe charger for my macbook at the office so on a whim I tried to see if it would also charge from one of the usb-c ports, and was happy to discover that it worked. I later tried a usb-c to usb-a cord that came with some cheap thing I can't remember, and it didn't work.

yeah usb a can't do high power charging because it lacks the chip thingy that handles determining the amount of power that can be delivered or whatever it is

so it'll go down to the original usb spec which ain't gonna charge poo poo.

my phone has a ridiculous 150W usb c charger it's nuts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lol what a huge ripoff. i got a thunderbolt 4 cable about that length from amazon for far less than half that price (~$40 iirc)

the concept and connector are good, the mistake was extending it to usb 2. that tweet is right, like 99% of the bundled cables that come with stuff are usb 2 and it's absolute garbage. if it's a little dinky thin cable i almost immediately throw it away unless it's a really tiny one for charging or something

bingo, there should be zero usb2 protocol c cables, rotors just being crotchety for crotchety’s sake

also the apple cables are far and away the best thunderbolt cables but there’s less of a point to paying the premium when they’re short.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

bingo, there should be zero usb2 protocol c cables

i agree, they should be usb3

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i literally dont give a poo poo about charging or whatever, i could not fuckin care less, i care about:

* lovely connector design
* random noncompiant cable syndrome
* 12 different standards to know about

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

what % of usb c cables have ever transferred a single actual byte instead of just charging some random rear end device

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

rotor posted:

i agree, they should be usb3
YOU SHOULD BE USB3

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farty Crabcakes posted:

YOU SHOULD BE USB3

no argument there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Vanadium posted:

what % of usb c cables have ever transferred a single actual byte instead of just charging some random rear end device

i have a couple nvme ssd enclosures and i use usb-c cables with them. most of my cameras use usb-c too. having the same connector on all of the devices, my pcs, my ipad and my android phones is great and you can pry the cables from my cold dead hands

that said a lot of devices do just use it for power

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

poo poo was like this at the beginning of USB as well, you had a bunch of noncompliant hardware and poo poo you had to install drivers for and stuff that didnt put out enough/consumed too much power and so forth

i assume at some point the industry will sort itself out on that score eventually but i wish they'd hurry the gently caress up

also the connector sucks rear end

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

poo poo was like this at the beginning of USB as well, you had a bunch of noncompliant hardware and poo poo you had to install drivers for and stuff that didnt put out enough/consumed too much power and so forth

I too enjoyed the era of USB-A on both ends and lovely y cables with an extra power plug on them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

I too enjoyed the era of USB-A on both ends and lovely y cables with an extra power plug on them

at some point a pass-through parallel port adapter would be involved for some reason

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my fav pre-usb cable was serial to 2.5mm for my graphing calc

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mediaphage posted:

my fav pre-usb cable was serial to 2.5mm for my graphing calc

you just reminded me of the counterfeit usb-serial controller controversy

ah, good times

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i assume at some point the industry will sort itself out on that score eventually but i wish they'd hurry the gently caress up

also the connector sucks rear end

it's a little different since usb-c is pin compatible with usb-a, but because of that you get many of the same problems (namely that manufacturers will just ignore the spec). it kinda sucks but i'm happy to use the same cable with most stuff. if it needs something else or some nonstandard arrangement then its a bad device

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its just weird to me that a cable is the part that is nonstandard. To my way of thinking, a cable is just several lengths of wire. I feel like having active electronics in them is a bad idea.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like ok maybe your lengths of wire are too long or too thin or whatever but in broad strokes a cable should just be a cable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well you're in luck, that's why usb 2 usb-c cables exist. afaik there's no active electronics in them other than maybe a pull-up resistor

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/EmpiricGame/status/1678539364941418496

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

loving tell me about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a usb-mini port break off in and then (I think) destroy a cable. i didn't realize there was a piece jammed in there and it burned me when i touched it. also i think it broke another device that i plugged it into, but that might have been a coincidence (i'm not even 100% sure i plugged it into the busted cable)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i had a usb-mini port break off in and then (I think) destroy a cable. i didn't realize there was a piece jammed in there and it burned me when i touched it. also i think it broke another device that i plugged it into, but that might have been a coincidence (i'm not even 100% sure i plugged it into the busted cable)

i see

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

*beepishly* sounds like your computer bit you, op

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
one time I managed to charge my dead phone by hooking up a micro b cable to a lantern battery. I returned home after being out at sea and forgot to pay my electric bill before I left and it was shut off, so I needed it to call the electric company and pay. afaik can't do that poo poo with usb c.

it's ok otherwise afaic tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what if I told you that they make lanterns with usbc