Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish there was a "I'm done with the summer sale" toggle I could flip to make the steam homepage go back to normal. I'm still equally as disinterested in buying destiny 2, kerbal 2, or the forest 2 as I was the first day of the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'd like to point out that Yakuza 0-6 aren't technically on sale, but if you complete the collection (buy all the games you're missing), they're -75%, so 5 bucks each.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/22722/The_Yakuza_Collection/

(reminder that Y4 is in Humble Choice this month).

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Do any of the Euro Truck or American Truck DLCs stand out? Either for interesting routes or especially good scenery.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Honestly, it's pretty much a case of "the newer the DLC, the better the scenery." ETS2 is 11 years old at this point, and while they're going back and updating some of the older areas to more modern standards it's gonna take ages. The new Germany and California parts look real good though!

In the meantime: on the ATS side, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, Texas are all pretty as hell

For ETS2 Italy, the Balkans, and the Baltic are imo the tops. Iberia looks good but had a smaller road network at release, but they've added to it in the meantime

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So there's I guess, a third wasteland?
Is this the coop XCOM I crave?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just checked Steam and don’t see Alan Wake Remastered available. Was it not released on PC?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just checked Steam and don’t see Alan Wake Remastered available. Was it not released on PC?

it was, but published by epic so it's an egs exclusive

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Weedle posted:

it was, but published by epic so it's an egs exclusive
I always find it amusing when it's an exclusive on a non-Steam store. Way to leave money on the table. The only thing I get on the Epic Games Store are free games I'll never play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well Remedy has a multi-year partnership with Epic now so, it was never coming to Steam

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And neither is the new one...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Alan Wake Remastered and Alan Wake 2 are published by Epic themselves, so the only way they're coming to Steam is if Remedy buys the publishing rights back later like they did with Alan Wake 1. Which, I mean, not necessarily impossible?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Upsidads posted:

So there's I guess, a third wasteland?
Is this the coop XCOM I crave?

Its playable in co op but just be aware that they never bothered to fix some of the more egregious multiplayer bugs. Theres one where if the joining player tries to end their combat turn with an empty weapon then they just...can't end their turn.

I've still managed to get through the whole game in co op with a friend though

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its playable in co op but just be aware that they never bothered to fix some of the more egregious multiplayer bugs. Theres one where if the joining player tries to end their combat turn with an empty weapon then they just...can't end their turn.

But is it good?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I want to give a quick shout-out to Ostranauts, which is a weird loving game. The core loop has kind of a Shipwreckers thing going on, where you're salvaging spaceships, repairing them, trying to flip them for a profit, and breathing a sigh of relief when you manage to even break even.

I can't quite call this a recommendation because the game is massively hosed right now. It's absurdly buggy and feels like it's constantly on the verge of crashing, it has a UX that feels like it was designed by a space alien, and there is so much complexity to everything that it feels like you could cut or streamline half of the game systems and only improve the overall experience.

But at the same time, it's really neat. It's by the same guys who did NEO Scavenger, and it honestly feels like the devs went 'Hey, now that we've made our core UI/UX a hundred times worse, what kind of game should we make with it,' someone shouted 'Space Station 13!', and everyone else was too drunk or high to realize that was a bad idea.

So in short the game is buggy, overly complicated, playing feels like trying to do brain surgery with oven mitts and a tack hammer, and nothing quite works, but it's still really engaging in a weird, janky way that I personally get a huge kick out of. I mean, look at this poo poo!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

unruly posted:

I always find it amusing when it's an exclusive on a non-Steam store. Way to leave money on the table. The only thing I get on the Epic Games Store are free games I'll never play.

yeah i'd like to buy the tony hawk remake for my deck but oh well. i'll just keep playing it on switch i guess

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hey Steam thread, I have a depressing question for you.

A friend had a stalking incident a few years ago that made her quit steam entirely. Now she's interested in getting back to her games, but the trouble is that the guy in question is on her friends list. She doesn't want to log in and him immediately see that she is still around.

How does one start the Steam client without being online in the friends list? I know you can disable automatic login once you get into the client, but the trouble with that is needing to log in first which would show her online for a short while.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Disconnect from the internet, launch Steam in offline mode, then maybe you can set your visibility status before going online?

Or maybe is the person's profile public and then you can just wait until the person is offline to log in and remove them from your friend list (this also removes you from theirs)?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 11, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Start steam in offline mode, Steam Settings, Friends and Chat, there is an option to disable auto login to the friends list. If you don't log onto Friends your profile will not show up as online (it will still show X number of days offline). You could set the profile to private too but it will be marked as such if they look

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, offline mode is the answer here. Pull the plug & start up offline, you can fiddle with your friends list etc, triple-check, then restart online.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

If offline mode doesn't work you can try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/iiu1qp/starting_steam_in_invisible_mode/i2sfsp5/

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sab669 posted:

Disconnect from the internet, launch Steam in offline mine, then maybe you can set your visibility status before going online?

I would experiment with this, yeah - in Steam Settings/Friends & Chat, un-tick the "Sign in to friends when Steam Client starts."

A possibly better idea: she can log into the Steam website instead, then pull up the fuckhead's profile. From there you can block all communications, report, and/or unfriend them. If she doesn't want to risk unfriending them, blocking them will keep them on the friends list but she would appear offline to them, regardless of her real status.

(sorry to the random goon I picked for this screenshot)

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 11, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manager Hoyden posted:

A friend had a stalking incident a few years ago that made her quit steam entirely. Now she's interested in getting back to her games, but the trouble is that the guy in question is on her friends list. She doesn't want to log in and him immediately see that she is still around.
Does he have any way to contact her outside of Steam? If not, maybe someone else (you) can login for her and delete him so she doesn't have to deal with it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Squiggle posted:

A possibly better idea: she can log into the Steam website instead, then pull up the fuckhead's profile. From there you can block all communications, report, and/or unfriend them.

This works. If you login into the community web site via your browser without touching the chat option you will still be marked Offline and your last visit date won't update. From there you can remove and block the person, and then change your profile visibility info for friends-only or even go full private.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hey Steam thread, I have a depressing question for you.

How does one start the Steam client without being online in the friends list? I know you can disable automatic login once you get into the client, but the trouble with that is needing to log in first which would show her online for a short while.

If she wants to move to a new Steam account for a clean break she can set up "family sharing", so all her old account's games will be available in her new account's library (as long as they're not both playing at the same time, which shouldn't be a problem).

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nice, thanks thread.

Is it possible to log into steam with no internet connection if one has never logged in on that particular machine?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Nice, thanks thread.

Is it possible to log into steam with no internet connection if one has never logged in on that particular machine?

No.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23779039/microsoft-activision-blizzard-ftc-trial-win

Diablo gamepass when??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love consolidation of power. It only leads to good things every time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's an id@xbox event happening right now but not much really going on at the moment. a game called Monolith Requiem of the Ancients got announced and that's been the only actual announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojM6o1idIIA

also Digital Eclipse is working on "The Making of Karateka", a combination of documentary and re-release of all of the various computer versions of the game as well as a remake

lastly the dev of Paratopic is working on a new game called Roman Sands RE:build (did they have a prototype first and this is the full game/remake?) it looks cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2231460/Roman_Sands_REBuild/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

there's an id@xbox event happening right now but not much really going on at the moment. a game called Monolith Requiem of the Ancients got announced and that's been the only actual announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojM6o1idIIA

what is this poo poo. where's the quake 1 sequel

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Can't find the game recommendation/what game am I thinking of thread but will post here incase you guys remember it. Hopefully it's on Summer Sale

Last 3 years. Spaceship? flying low orbit over planet, nice art style. Was released originally as a more meditative/open ended experience and then I remember the devs updated it with a proper 'endgame'.

Any idea what I'm thinking of?

Squiggly Beast posted:

Maybe Exo One? It's more of a :orb: than spaceship, but everything else fits.

Thank you!

ColdIronsBound fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 11, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

No mans sky?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

ColdIronsBound posted:

Can't find the game recommendation/what game am I thinking of thread but will post here incase you guys remember it. Hopefully it's on Summer Sale

Last 3 years. Spaceship? flying low orbit over planet, nice art style. Was released originally as a more meditative/open ended experience and then I remember the devs updated it with a proper 'endgame'.

Any idea what I'm thinking of?

Maybe Exo One? It's more of a :orb: than spaceship, but everything else fits.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr.Acula posted:

No mans sky?

that's right, it's women's sky

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Herskyry

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yes Woman's Land

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
No! Man's Sky.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Theythemsky

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

russian accent Ah, Theythemsky... That is name I have not heard in long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is there anything worth it in atomic heart or is it just a standard not-shooter.

I'm trying it on gamepass and so far my main weapon is an axe and I don't like it. Do I get more guns and ammo later or am I always gonna be relying on the axe due to ammo scarcity?

It's pretty to look at but so far it just feels like a bioshock-alike. With unfunny banter and characters and vulvas everywhere. Plus it's mostly checkpoints which Im not a fan of.

So what I'm saying is does the story get good and pay off or is this just not for me? I can sit through all the poo poo if the story is really good