Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What? Strafe Lift is jumping puzzle easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I started plodding through the beyond light and shadowkeep campaigns. It's only one mission in each expansion, but the requirement to wear at least four pieces of armor specific to those expansions to complete the mission is terrible. Other than that stasis is quite a bit of fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

smallmouth posted:

I started plodding through the beyond light and shadowkeep campaigns. It's only one mission in each expansion, but the requirement to wear at least four pieces of armor specific to those expansions to complete the mission is terrible. Other than that stasis is quite a bit of fun.

In Shadowkeep I believe you just need the armor set to enter the mission. Once you’re in and loaded you can swap back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Which is the armor requirement mission in Beyond Light? I don't remember that happening at all

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In Shadowkeep I believe you just need the armor set to enter the mission. Once you’re in and loaded you can swap back.

I didn't think of trying this. Thanks.

haveblue posted:

Which is the armor requirement mission in Beyond Light? I don't remember that happening at all

I don't remember which mission, but I think it's one of Variks' missions and not required for stasis aspects.

edit: it's in the tier 2 and 3 missions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Collateral Damage posted:

What? Strafe Lift is jumping puzzle easy mode.

Except when my stubby titan arms can't reach the platform above me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
High jump is best for jumping puzzles, strafe jump is for being that guy who gets so far ahead in strikes that all the enemies despawn, catapult jump is also there I guess

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I want to say catapult is unique in that it recovers juice in the air while the others don't, so it's useful for long distance eager edge shenanigans.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Oh, today's Veil Containment Log is very interesting. Hopefully it means that Shohreh is coming back to voice another character.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not a big fan of the platforming because I use Blink and the level designers clearly hate it. But I hate them more and I'll never switch jump skills

And just as I post this, the new Nightfall is the run with the most annoying jumps and endless chasms :bungie: :argh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RocketRaygun posted:

Oh, today's Veil Containment Log is very interesting. Hopefully it means that Shohreh is coming back to voice another character.

Where do you access those? I thought it was the computer near where Osiris and Rohan were, but I can't do anything there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Paracelsus posted:

Where do you access those? I thought it was the computer near where Osiris and Rohan were, but I can't do anything there.

Open up Neomuna and take your pointer waaaay down into the lower right corner, you should see a mission called Veil Containment. You do a short combat mission once, then you can listen to audio logs until you're caught up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracelsus posted:

It’s a director node in the far bottom left of the Neomuna map, you will have to scroll to see it. Just keep activating the computer until it won’t let you do it any more, then you’re caught up until the next reset

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"short" "combat" "mission"

The weekly lore.mp3 is good but they probably could've skipped that busywork they made for it. A lot of people don't even know that you're suppose to be visiting the dentist chairs every week to learn about Veil

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Re: today's veil spoilers

Was the narrative goal here that I would retroactively find Lakshmi to be way cooler? Because my takeaway is that Maya is actually way lamer and more sucky & racist than I expected

I'm definitely LESS excited to hear more about Maya now, not more...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

After a bit of a break I'm trying to get back into the game, but this GODDAMN TORMENTOR has kicked me off the platform in Parting the Veil twelve times and I'm done for a few weeks. I don't understand this game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"short" "combat" "mission"

The weekly lore.mp3 is good but they probably could've skipped that busywork they made for it. A lot of people don't even know that you're suppose to be visiting the dentist chairs every week to learn about Veil
idk the original combat segment has created pretty good content from people whining about being bad at the game, but yeah the part where you get a weekly dose of lore was not entirely obvious.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was the narrative goal here that I would retroactively find Lakshmi to be way cooler? Because my takeaway is that Maya is actually way lamer and more sucky & racist than I expected

No, I think the narrative goal is to create some connections & questions between how the darkness/veil works, how exos work, etc. I think Lakshmi-2 is just -a- Maya, not -the- Maya? There's obviously a weird hook here and I think the important take away was more the stuff about like, downloading poo poo from the veil and sticking it into exos?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I don't even think there is "A" Maya anymore. She's ship of theseus'd a thousand times over. But the actions of any Maya define the actions of every Maya, so this is just one additional poop log on the pile of turds we know Maya has been responsible for. Lakshmi was character-assassinated so hilariously badly that it's wild to think they would even use her for any narrative purpose other than like, having her fart & piss her pants in a weapon's lore tab.

Interesting lore from 2015 titled Future War Cult that has a reference to The Veil, btw

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/ghost-fragment-future-war-cult

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

my thoughts exactly, though I guess that’s mitigated in that Lakshmi was just like… built from bits of a copy of Maya?

sort of wish they’d just paid General Battuta a million dollars to put together a consistent lore Bible for the game itself that doesn’t feel like it undermines all the best stuff in the game’s history, but it is what it is

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

my thoughts exactly, though I guess that’s mitigated in that Lakshmi was just like… built from bits of a copy of Maya?

sort of wish they’d just paid General Battuta a million dollars to put together a consistent lore Bible for the game itself that doesn’t feel like it undermines all the best stuff in the game’s history, but it is what it is

Destiny 2: It is what it is

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

apparently the lore "community" is mini melting down over a recent interview with the narrative team

I didn't look into it closely, I'm sure the conclusion is :aloom:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think people are mostly just bummed about Lightfall’s narrative amid the broader backdrop of the whole series and apprehensive about this year’s strategy of post hoc explanation through expository lore dumps.

like I don’t know if anyone’s really mad, and although I’m biased I think the lore community is a lot better about expressing discontent than, say, PvP or gun-perk guys. or anyone who makes YouTube videos and has to farm outrage for clicks

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

After a bit of a break I'm trying to get back into the game, but this GODDAMN TORMENTOR has kicked me off the platform in Parting the Veil twelve times and I'm done for a few weeks. I don't understand this game.
That mission really wants you to use Strand with the grapple, it's a utter pain in the dick if you don't have a way to save yourself from its knockback punting you off the platform.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My understanding is that Witch Queen campaign and Final Shape Campaign were the original final two ANNUAL acts of the story, but Bungie decided they needed ~4 more seasons of Seasonal Story to get the pieces set up the way they want 'em

That's totally fine and cool

But Lightfall's campaign (specifically Lightfall and not any of the Seasons of Year 6) was obviously whipped up in a hurry and never really intended to be a big source of plotlines and lore developments.

That';s also fine.

But it seems like they're really trying hard to justify the Lightfall Campaign Plotlines? By aggressively tying past and current events into the LF campaign, if that makes sense?

Everything about Neomuna and The Veil just seems forced and robbing the real story's momentum, and I wish they had just committed to going 8 seasons without a big annual Seven Missions And A Strike campaign if they didn't have a genuine one to give us

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

idk the original combat segment has created pretty good content from people whining about being bad at the game, but yeah the part where you get a weekly dose of lore was not entirely obvious.

magiccarpet posted:

lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do the original authors of the lore tabs get royalties from the physical collections?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do the original authors of the lore tabs get royalties from the physical collections?

Yeah obviously they do. Everyone is paid for their eternal contributions to video games

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't a big fan of whisper or harbinger but presage and seraph station were pretty fun to run through. There was that cheese spot at the end of presage which worked pretty nice but it wasn't immunity to everything and you still had to clear waves of adds. I think I ran that one through the entirety of the captain's logs etc. So once you know the layout it went pretty quickly.

One thing I don't get though- and maybe that's because we don't know the plans for after the final shape- is that they make all this content that just disappears. Sure it doesn't make sense to keep it in game eternally but man it must be discouraging to develop something awesome like an interstellar pirate ship battle and then have it just disappear into thin air in 4 months.

Unless they plan to start cycling all that stuff back as legacy seasonal content after the storyline is over. Do another run through all the seasons again from undying through the end and it could last them a couple more years. Although some of those seasons I sure as heck don't want to play through again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For whatever reason, The Streamers are expecting another paid product within a year of TFS that is focused on the Vex

Aka the Simulation Enthusiasts

The game would also be in a spot where a rotating hopper of old content would set it up for long-term success.

I could see the Post-TFS environment involving a lot of like.. hey guardian, hop into the vex Portal to tackle the chrono-anomalies that are affecting.. Pirate Ship Mode, this week!! Tune in next week for Nightmare Containment!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Last City Except For This Other Way Better One

Also I looked left the other day and lmao it's been like five years and the Vanguard still hasn't fixed the Tower. It can't be that hard

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Also I looked left the other day and lmao it's been like five years and the Vanguard still hasn't fixed the Tower. It can't be that hard

Zavala is too busy staring at the Traveler longingly, and Ikora is too busy ruminating in her thoughts about "what the gently caress does the traveler want us to do??"
Banshee doesn't get paid to care.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"Fuckin' a, Guardian." - Banshee 44

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

And the whole reason "the tower" is now "the wall" was vaulted long ago.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lib and let die posted:

"Fuckin' a, Guardian." - Banshee 44

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It's kind of lame I'm locked out of progressing weekly content I paid for because Nightfalls this week are content I haven't paid for. To open stasis aspects I have to kill champions in playlists or strikes. I don't mind the Nightfall content rotation in general. But being locked out of progressing weekly content I paid for by content I haven't paid for is poo poo. The weekly aspect bounties don't list the criteria before buying that I know of. I was able to complete one them. I tried the weekly hero strike on Europa and it doesn't count. I guess I should have bought two gambits this week. :smith:

The game is fun and I play the hell out of it, but a lot of the pay structures and content interaction are a mess.

<you play that game a lot so you must be good, right.jpg>

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress no. You don't even get your name on the cover.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

i am absolute dogshit when it comes to completing exotic quests

I can help you knock out the Journey in 15 minutes if you’re at the pit step (45 if you need all the prequest lost sector puzzles).

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RocketRaygun posted:

they got rid of lakshmi to avoid paying the kind of money shohreh demanded

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I don't think we're getting Lakshmi-3. We may get additional lore dumps that recontextualize her history further but that role in the story isn't coming back. RIP factions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

Open up Neomuna and take your pointer waaaay down into the lower right corner, you should see a mission called Veil Containment. You do a short combat mission once, then you can listen to audio logs until you're caught up.

I never knew about this :eyepop: