Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Klungar posted:

What is the name of the "three ball shrine"? I remember a shrine with three balls you need to fuse together in different ways to be able to jump across a series of gaps, but it doesn't sound like the one people mean.

Iun-orok shrine it has target switches at the end of various ramps you drop a ball/series of balls down. The first one is a simple downhill slope, but they get trickier to the point where the last one is an S-shaped curve leading to a target. By attaching balls of various sizes together and in certain ways, it makes the path of the balls take curving trajectories. It really appealed to my mathematician side.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:v:
I did it with one board on each side, centered on the outside of the wheels. It flops bit but works fine. Your second solution is much cleverer, though.

Ahahaha, that would have been way less cumbersome with a lot of stuff I built. I don't know why I never thought of not just attaching stuff to the radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'll be honest, if Nintendo dropped a collection of shrines revolving around building and the physics engine as DLC I'd gladly plunk down $20 for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Legend of Zelda Shrine Maker

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Steve Yun posted:

Legend of Zelda Shrine Maker

I would be both delighted and terrified to see the type of Kaizo Zelda shrines the internet hivemind could come up with

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gerudo's Mod

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

Gerudo's Mod

It should be run by the two Gerudo who build racing machines.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More endgame shenanigans, raining railings

code:
https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1678768831542747140?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
So far my most embarrassing shrine was definitely the one in kakariko village.

Getting ready to finish up a couple little side quests before I go to the desert. Mopped up Lurelin village and rebuilt everything, I need to lure the racers in for a water rally now which sounds lit. Also finished the kohga quests. The boat battle was hilariously easy but all four were ultimately pretty fun. Just finished the coliseum under Eventide, was definitely expecting something more difficult than bokos but whatever, now I don’t have to wear the KKK hood with my depths outfit I guess.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Steve Yun posted:

More endgame shenanigans, raining railings

code:
https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1678768831542747140?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

I like that parts of the meta have moved on to just clowning on ganon now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i love that the railing is a Thing and frankly, i will be sad if they ever figure out how to patch it. like, yes, the two-fan hoverbike is convenient, but it doesn't scratch my itch for "flying machine" that a byplane made from ultra-lightweight materials does. Yes it's less battery efficient, but it looks cooler!!!

(also it's really easy to make one that flies perfectly straight in neutral, which is how i discovered that you can fly over the lights on the vehicle testing track and it'll still count. I did the least efficient flight path ever and still got a new record time-wise!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I cracked up when I was trying the "fly as close to the center ring" challenge thing and struggling to get the balance right and wishing I could just put a loving steering wheel on it when I suddenly thought,"....wait.... can I?" and.... I could! 0.3m baby!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i love that the railing is a Thing and frankly, i will be sad if they ever figure out how to patch it. like, yes, the two-fan hoverbike is convenient, but it doesn't scratch my itch for "flying machine" that a byplane made from ultra-lightweight materials does. Yes it's less battery efficient, but it looks cooler!!!

(also it's really easy to make one that flies perfectly straight in neutral, which is how i discovered that you can fly over the lights on the vehicle testing track and it'll still count. I did the least efficient flight path ever and still got a new record time-wise!)

you can make a 1 fan flyer with the railing if you want to do ultra efficiency, it's useful all around

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Where do I get more fire keese eyeballs. I need to go gently caress up that frost gleeok

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sab0921 posted:

Where do I get more fire keese eyeballs. I need to go gently caress up that frost gleeok

Can you apply effects to them like with the chu jellies?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don't think so. But also any eyeball will do I think, don't need to match up the elements or what have you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, You just have to do 2-3 arrows instead of the normal one hit KO.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

goron area caves have them I think

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kind of disappointed that they didn't do a Link's Awakening and have goombas as guest enemies in the depths. Gloombas.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Coxswain Balls posted:

Kind of disappointed that they didn't do a Link's Awakening and have goombas as guest enemies in the depths. Gloombas.

Chain chomps.

Iron Knuckles wielding chain chomps as morningstars.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think one of my biggest complaints about the game is that getting the Master Sword isn't the big oh-poo poo gamechanger it felt like in BotW. The Guardians were cool as hell as both enemies and gatekeepers, and before getting the sword I treated my handful of ancient arrows as AT ammo for when I absolutely needed to take one out in desperation. After getting it though I felt so goddamn powerful going toe to toe with those guys, slicing off their legs one by one and the sound and flash it made when making impact while glowing was magnificent.

The closest to that in TotK were gloomspawn and the second phase after you take out the hands just didn't feel like the cool giant-killing battles with the Guardians. I ended up mostly saving the sword for those battles and other ones that have unique dialogue when you wield it, like with the monster control crews.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think one of my biggest complaints about the game is that getting the Master Sword isn't the big oh-poo poo gamechanger it felt like in BotW. The Guardians were cool as hell as both enemies and gatekeepers, and before getting the sword I treated my handful of ancient arrows as AT ammo for when I absolutely needed to take one out in desperation. After getting it though I felt so goddamn powerful going toe to toe with those guys, slicing off their legs one by one and the sound and flash it made when making impact while glowing was magnificent.

The closest to that in TotK were gloomspawn and the second phase after you take out the hands just didn't feel like the cool giant-killing battles with the Guardians. I ended up mostly saving the sword for those battles and other ones that have unique dialogue when you wield it, like with the monster control crews.

I agree that the guardians were really cool enemies but like, you don't need the master sword to kill them. You can just shoot them in the eye or reflect a laser beam and spin them down with a regular claymore or whatever.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Seems like I missed out a lot of fun ways to kill guardians. Just learned the parry timing in the tutorial and kept doing that the whole game

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Luff posted:

Seems like I missed out a lot of fun ways to kill guardians. Just learned the parry timing in the tutorial and kept doing that the whole game

That *is* the fun way to kill guardians.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wasn't very good at it but man was it super-satisfying when I pulled it off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sab0921 posted:

Use a stronger bow: Royal bows from the castle + normal eyeballs are enough damage to one-shot a head.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BOTW now does seem retroactively worse since there's not much to do outside of shrines, and half of them barely count.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 12, 2023

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Iun-orok shrine ... <puzzle 3 stuff>

This is one of the many examples where I found the intended solution obvious, but difficult to implement due to janky controls. That is a frustrating problem for me.

On that particular puzzle I ended up bypassing it. You can shoot a bomb arrow at the target and it will trigger. This probably works on a lot of other shrines as well, I only learned it this morning though.

Ultrahand is a cool mechanic, but it also feels awkward as hell. It really needs the ability to do 3rd axis rotation and better controls for small movements. Some puzzles would benefit from more snap-to mechanics build into them. Overall it feels like one of the jankiest mechanics I've used in a non-early access title in a long time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My main problem with Ultrahand was the motion controls getting in the way of some more precise stuff. But it's useful at other times and a must for other gameplay, so I just end up leaving it on and dealing with it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Motion controls are not even close to a must have. I turned it off as soon as I realized they were loving up my aim and never used them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just meant for me, I have decided to be generous and not mandate them for everyone else by royal decree

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Captain Hygiene posted:

My main problem with Ultrahand was the motion controls getting in the way of some more precise stuff. But it's useful at other times and a must for other gameplay, so I just end up leaving it on and dealing with it.

Funny, I find it helps a lot with precision stuff. If I’m trying to get something to line up with a wheel or something there’s always a moment where I remember I can make fine adjustments with the gyro and it takes me one second.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm bad at thumb sticks so motion controls are a must for me to be able to aim. My main problem is that the game seems to not listen to the controls until after a certain amount of time. So I'm trying to shoot my view over to see something and it's just not moving because I moved the stick before the game was ready for it. My only complain with gyro is that it is very notchy at long distances, which I doubt they can do much about. The sticks are too sensitive for me to use in that situation anyway, so it's whatever.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Cojawfee posted:

I'm bad at thumb sticks so motion controls are a must for me to be able to aim. My main problem is that the game seems to not listen to the controls until after a certain amount of time. So I'm trying to shoot my view over to see something and it's just not moving because I moved the stick before the game was ready for it.

I love the motion controls but this drives me crazy too. I don't think the delay in accepting thumbstick inputs was there in BOTW, either.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Seymour Buttz posted:

Funny, I find it helps a lot with precision stuff. If I’m trying to get something to line up with a wheel or something there’s always a moment where I remember I can make fine adjustments with the gyro and it takes me one second.

Yeah, I can see this sometimes, but more often than not it turns into me jostling it a bit as I hit the attach button.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mymla posted:

I agree that the guardians were really cool enemies but like, you don't need the master sword to kill them. You can just shoot them in the eye or reflect a laser beam and spin them down with a regular claymore or whatever.

I know it's not needed, but it's an example of a before/after situation with the sword where I felt way more powerful after getting it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

gyro aiming is so good I don't get how it frustrates so many...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe people just don't know how to use the gyro. I had issues with it in BOTW until I realized what orientation I needed to hold the controller and how to move it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Alxprit posted:

The most annoying thing is when I'm carrying something I made and I shiver or rest my arm on my knee when I'm lightly bouncing it and my contraption falls apart.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alxprit posted:

Because when i'm playing switch i'm almost always either docked or having the console on the kickstand with the joycons separated. And I like to move my arms around while playing to change positions since my neck is all jacked up.

I often have both arms resting on top of my head while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thank god you can use flame arrows on that gyro cube with the braziers. It would have been painful trying to accomplish the intended way, on a Switch Lite.