Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the monster breeding and poaching makes more sense in a version of the game where the endgame isnt ramza+4 unique units of your choice curbstomping because its a way to gain incremental advantage from your units. monsters in general get shafted by what fft is in practice because their niche as numerically powerful but 1-dimensional units is just unnecessary. you just dont need them lol.
they are very funny in the fft ai vs ai gambling stream tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

they are, since that stream isnt built around optimizing unit builds so their numerical advantage can shine big time

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How's the switch versions of Grandia 1\2? I've been craving a ps1/2 aesthetic jrpg for a while nowand I never got around to playing those outside of renting 2 for a weekend as a teenager.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grandia 1 hd is an ugly port of an ugly port. i think grandia 2 had some issues on launch but i dunno if they're still present

to be specific the grandia 1 ps1 port is a buggy version of a saturn game, its graphical errors are unfixed in hd and it has bad texture filtering applied

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 11, 2023

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the monster breeding and poaching makes more sense in a version of the game where the endgame isnt ramza+4 unique units of your choice curbstomping because its a way to gain incremental advantage from your units. monsters in general get shafted by what fft is in practice because their niche as numerically powerful but 1-dimensional units is just unnecessary. you just dont need them lol.

the team limit size is also too drat small for monster taming/breeding

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm playing Grandia 2 on the switch version now and haven't run into any issues yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

hold up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://twitch.tv/fftbattleground

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

grandia 1 hd is an ugly port of an ugly port. i think grandia 2 had some issues on launch but i dunno if they're still present

to be specific the grandia 1 ps1 port is a buggy version of a saturn game, its graphical errors are unfixed in hd and it has bad texture filtering applied

Does this apply to anything outside the starting town? I thought that was the only area with the insane texture issues

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's also some busted skyboxes. i'd assume that there are generally minor technical issues across the game that you wouldn't notice if you only played psx but generally hd feels not worth it to me unless you really specifically want a legal portable version of grandia 1 and the switch is your only possible option

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1678878610696945664/retweets/with_comments

this doesnt fix everything but reverie's getting patches pretty fast

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1678878610696945664/retweets/with_comments

this doesnt fix everything but reverie's getting patches pretty fast

Any word on console?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sadly not. They might wait on console until they can bundle all the fixes together into one patch, given sony approval processes can take a week or two.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Junpei posted:

to be absolutely fair, your party members having a skill tree dungeon isn't a terrible idea in and of itself, there's an interesting idea in that somewhere, it's the copy-paste aesthetic that really brings it down

It's an idea I love because meshing something with tangible character-specific rewards with the grinding dungeon is good. Now, the necessity and value of a grinding dungeon can itself be debated, but also I play Atlus games for that kind of poo poo. Collecting monsters and changing up my party's capabilities and adapting to that as the enemies change too. Gimme that carefully curated grinding dungeon where I go to get my fusion fodder and test out my nonsense, all in one place.

But yeah SH2's was kind of visually lackluster even so. I guess it's better than SH1's being literally a hotel when it should've been online - they just criminally underused the internet in Soul Hackers 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Sadly not. They might wait on console until they can bundle all the fixes together into one patch, given sony approval processes can take a week or two.

Curses!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wild. I'll definitely check this out.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Grandia 1 HD is mostly fine but I'd say play the Saturn version if you can, I think it fairly recently got a patch that ported the PS1 translation over maybe too. Grandia 2 HD is good as far as I'm aware tho I haven't played it, I mostly replay the first game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grandia 2 HD was perfectly fine but its been years since I played the dreamcast version. Over. And over. And over.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Grandia II owns and has the best default battle music of any RPG ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-KYgSsc_Y

Seriously this poo poo owns bones and would be a boss battle theme in any other game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really love the soundtracks for the 1st & 2nd Grandia games, had probably my favorite RPG music until I played Shadow Hearts 1 & 2.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 12, 2023

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It isn't too hard to remove the ugly filter on Grandia 1 if you get it on PC, though I had some textures freak out at times due to it. A small sacrifice for getting to replay it however.

Really need to get around to replaying 2, love that jackass Ryudo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vandar posted:

Grandia II owns and has the best default battle music of any RPG ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-KYgSsc_Y

Seriously this poo poo owns bones and would be a boss battle theme in any other game.

Maybe I am a jaded old person but that sounds like the most generic battle music ever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 12, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvk8g8AUxeY

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Listen, cds get scratched all the time. if we make it sound like its skipping by default, you never have to worry about it!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Goons, I love a good dungeon. In the spirit of that, what are your favorite dungeons of all time?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the youtube comments going 'it might not sound that good, but compared to the other songs, its a masterpiece. in that sense, it makes you happy to get into a battle'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

unattended spaghetti posted:

Goons, I love a good dungeon. In the spirit of that, what are your favorite dungeons of all time?

EO5 6th stratum.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like the meat factory in DDS2, not sure if I'd call it a favorite, but it's extremely memorable to me .

Also Nurvus in PS4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think honestly agrias' poorly accounted for presence in fft like. really badly hurts a lot of its character writing in general lol. there's so many exchanges in chapter 3 that only make sense if you're assuming ramza just completely split up with the friends he's made up to that point and given agrias' entire final line of dialog the last time she says anything emphasizes how her trust in ramza will never be broken, it feels bizarre to not have her commenting on ramza's sense of unease and loneliness that they have several other characters remark on. i wish this wasn't such an issue cause it really sucks the wind out of the game's sails storywise for me, it's such a jarring thing to have suddenly be an issue. it bugs me a lot more than the scary demon rock stuff cause honestly the game's exploration of its political ideas is simplistic enough that i'm not sure they're getting in the way of anything, i just wish the basic character writing was tighter, that's a significantly bigger mark on the game i think

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 12, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The most important thing for a dungeon is a good theme song, especially if the theme continues to play during random encounters. So I'd probably go with the last dungeon of Trails in the Sky FC. The weird enemies and top-tier weapons gave it a great "ultimate dungeon" vibe, too, and it wasn't too long.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FFT doesn’t really have a party despite feeling it should since you keep getting small arcs with mandatory recruits that join up. Everyone just kinda disappears for the most part

Made the game kinda hard to get into for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TBH I don't even like using the unique characters in battle (even though they are almost strictly better) because I feel even less attached to them as mute NPCs than I do to the generics I've raised since the beginning.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nrook posted:

The most important thing for a dungeon is a good theme song, especially if the theme continues to play during random encounters. So I'd probably go with the last dungeon of Trails in the Sky FC. The weird enemies and top-tier weapons gave it a great "ultimate dungeon" vibe, too, and it wasn't too long.

Three seconds into that song and I'm already sick of it (possibly from flashbacks to that dungeon).

I probably have weird tastes though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMQ0GXpfmo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

Always liked the Final Dungeon of DDS2. There's a lot of RPG's with amorphous and ethereal corridors for final dungeons, but none go as hard in the lead up story wise as DDS2 does, nor is the outro as crazy. It's only let down by DDS's greatest weakness, terrible final bosses. It really stands out after the previous ten dungeons were all various flavors of modern looking corridors.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Clarste posted:

Three seconds into that song and I'm already sick of it (possibly from flashbacks to that dungeon).

I probably have weird tastes though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMQ0GXpfmo

I almost posted the labyrinth V theme from eo4 instead, to be honest, but the dungeon itself while cool didn’t make a big impression on me.

Hollow Light also has a good official arrangement.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nrook posted:

the last thing a bat hears before an adventurer bumps into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AnUa6A5Brw

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

Trails in the Sky is one of my favorite game OSTs for how well it sets tone. Falcom tends to put out bangers in general, but Sky has a lot of hard swerves in its OST to go along with its narrative going from cozy slice of life detective adventures to wandering through the ruins of an advanced civilization.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
After some consideration I have picked up Atelier Sophie. I think the knowledge of the time limit will make me tense so best to learn what the series is about without it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sophie's a nice time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

After some consideration I have picked up Atelier Sophie. I think the knowledge of the time limit will make me tense so best to learn what the series is about without it.

It's funny to me how the time limit just... it might be the gentlest, loosest time limit but it sits in the back of my brain going "...hey. hey." and I'm not into it, especially as I'm the type of jrpg player who wants to run around and look at all quests and dungeons and do every sidequest... I'm so happy Atelier has shifted in general away from time limits.

Honestly, from the Dusk trilogy I've played Ayesha and half of Eschatology (I really like it! I... really don't like that it felt like I had to get a walkthrough or I'd be missing serious stuff all the time) and I really need to go install and play Shallie, as that's the first one without a time limit.

As I understand it, from there:

Sophie = no time limit, my favorite
Firis = has an open world and a time limit, but it goes away halfway through the game?
Lydie & Suelle = no time limit
Ryza and onwards = no time limit, only Ryza's massive thighs

I've personally tried Rorona (and hated it, I do not like the personality of the main character, which is a bummer! also the STD joke is godawful, like so bad I want to patch the game to fix it), Ayesha (I really do love this game, time limit stress aside), Eschatology (I want to love this game so much but its structure did not work for me), Sophie (aaa I want to replay it) and some of Ryza (like what I saw, should go back and play more)