Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I don't watch Twitch live anymore for the same reason. Why would I want exciting moments to be interrupted by a full screen commercial with no warning or choice by the person casting? That's not ever acceptable.

edit: btw the line that says "This ad supports the streamer" is just an outright lie, Twitch doesn't pay you for ads that run on your channel anymore unless you're sponsored

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I don't watch Twitch live anymore for the same reason. Why would I want exciting moments to be interrupted by a full screen commercial with no warning or choice by the person casting? That's not ever acceptable.

edit: btw the line that says "This ad supports the streamer" is just an outright lie, Twitch doesn't pay you for ads that run on your channel anymore unless you're sponsored

Two corrections here from an actual twitch streamer, albeit a very small one:

• Streamers opt in to playing midroll ads. If you don't opt in it defaults to preroll ads only. I personally don't opt in because I think interrupting people watching me is obnoxious (it's a single 30 second ad break when you start watching a streamer versus 3 minutes of ads each hour), but some creators swear that the churn from prerolls is worse than midrolls.
  • Twitch does actually share ad revenue with streamers. You get 30% by default but if you run enough ads to stop prerolls it jumps to 55%.

Again I'm only a small streamer who chooses the lower earning option, but even with that about ~11% of my earnings are from those preroll ads.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nonono, they mean the ad supports the streamer as in it's standing off to the side cheering you on

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Defenistrator posted:

Youtube Music got an update and now I pay $10 a month to get echo chambered to music being advertised to me vs legitimate music discovery.

I don't see any paid option for YouTube music

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Maybe it's Youtube Premium (which contains Youtube Music?)

To contribute:

Remember when dishwashers dried dishes? I bought a new dishwasher a couple of years back and them dishes come out sloppin' wet every time. There's a "dry" option and everything, but them shits is wet. I'm sure it's an "energy saver" thing, but why even have the "function" if it doesn't function?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

LordoftheScheisse posted:

To contribute:

Remember when dishwashers dried dishes? I bought a new dishwasher a couple of years back and them dishes come out sloppin' wet every time. There's a "dry" option and everything, but them shits is wet. I'm sure it's an "energy saver" thing, but why even have the "function" if it doesn't function?

just let them sit for a couple hours and offload the work to your air conditioner

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I've tried the "hang a dishtowel out of the door and close the door to dry everything out" trick and it 100% does not work, so that's something that stayed lovely for no good reason, I guess

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

LordoftheScheisse posted:

To contribute:

Yeah but the dry function is lame and gross.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Doctors visits. Doc used to ride out to the farm and visit for a spell.

Now its wham bam in and out 45 minutes late.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

at like three am the other night i was drawing a total blank on gillian jacob's name while watching the bear, i searched google for 'britta' on my phone and there was a "did you mean brita?" link at the top but without a link to 'no, fuckass, give me the results i actually searched for' and results that were almost entirely ads for dropshipped brita water filters

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
You really Britta'd that search.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Why is the tiny person icon not a permanent fixture in Google maps? Why tf is it ever not there? I can't stand clicking around and then when i need him I look to the corner and he's not there. Drives me up the loving wall. WHY IS HE NOT THERE SOMETIMES. WHY

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you search on google for something with 'something before/after:2022-12-31' it will bring you things from months or years before or after. there is a date field in the search results -- some of them clearly misdated, some actually outside the valid range.

also, the syntax on Twitter is different: until/since

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Waze had a cool golden car icon on the map for my car which was cool because my car is also gold, but they replaced it with a lovely blue arrow and also decided I'm gonna average 148mph through Iowa. Which I didn't.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my phone uses apple maps instead of google when i voice navigate and i got used to using it because it seemed to do fine, though i was always a bit annoyed it didn't default to google maps which i perceived as better (because it was when apple maps launched)

i did a trip last month using google maps instead, and realized that apple maps actually is better than google maps now. it does the little details much better:
- always tells me which lane to be in for multi-lane exits and puts a prominent graphic on the display highlighting the lane. google maps sometimes does this, but not as often or well.
- tells me two turns at once if they're in close succession, instead of waiting till i've made one turn only to blow right past the other or not know which lane to get in by the time google tells me the next turn
- has more useful hints like, "after the next light, turn right" instead of "in 600 ft"

made me realize just how long google maps has been stagnant

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 11, 2023

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

My Chromecast has recently become useless for YouTube because the advert to content ratio is totally hosed, I would rather just watch on my phone so I don't have to see 50 adverts per video

That's strange, Chromecast older gen hanging off my tv only throws the very occasional ad, while my phone app is constantly showing them.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Bad Purchase posted:

my phone uses apple maps instead of google when i voice navigate and i got used to using it because it seemed to do fine, though i was always a bit annoyed it didn't default to google maps which i perceived as better (because it was when apple maps launched)

i did a trip last month using google maps instead, and realized that apple maps actually is better than google maps now. it does the little details much better:
- always tells me which lane to be in for multi-lane exits and puts a prominent graphic on the display highlighting the lane. google maps sometimes does this, but not as often or well.
- tells me two turns at once if they're in close succession, instead of waiting till i've made one turn only to blow right past the other or not know which lane to get in by the time google tells me the next turn
- has more useful hints like, "after the next light, turn right" instead of "in 600 ft"

made me realize just how long google maps has been stagnant

this is like every annoyance i have with google maps solved, you convinced me to try apple maps

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Southern Cassowary posted:

this is like every annoyance i have with google maps solved, you convinced me to try apple maps

:same:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven't tried waze since before the alphabet buyout, kinda curious to try that now too just to see

my impression from the times i did use it was that it constantly alerted me about too much extraneous poo poo. i think you could turn all that off, but it just became an uglier google maps then and i didn't see the point. wouldn't be surprised if it has also surpassed google's own navigation despite being owned by alphabet now

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Apple Maps blows both google and waze out of the water. Also I hate waze with a fiery passion.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just a collection of thoughts on the last two pages:

Apple Music is surprisingly good. The different methods of discovering new music could be a little less confusing but there's no BS to deal with with the app. It's also available on Android.

Seconding that Apple Maps is now better than Google Maps.

In my YouTube account I have search and watch history disabled, and my search results don't seem to be infiltrated with suggestions.

Finally: are some TV streaming devices that have more ads inserted than others? My friend has a Roku and I swear the YouTube app on it has more commercials than the YouTube app on other devices. It's so frequent that it's almost unwatchable and I don't understand why ads just can't be at the beginning of a video only.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve never had a problem with Apple Music, other than it not having a “jump ship from Spotify” feature (at the time, maybe it does now?).

Admittedly, I wasn’t a power-Spotify user either, and lived on the free ad tier - when their ads got to be too excruciating to stand (there was one for SolarCity, I think, that had some ASMR-y hacking/coughing/sneezing, I seem to recall), I just went over to Apple Music since I already pay them for tons of poo poo anyway.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Finally: are some TV streaming devices that have more ads inserted than others? My friend has a Roku and I swear the YouTube app on it has more commercials than the YouTube app on other devices. It's so frequent that it's almost unwatchable and I don't understand why ads just can't be at the beginning of a video only.

I think that the number of ads that play are partially determined by the uploader, so it may depend on the specific content you are watching on youtube, as well

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have come to prefer Apple Maps as well, if I have any complaint it’s that the store hours don’t seem to be as accurate overall, presumably because there’s simply not as many people putting in updates as there is on Google.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Khanstant posted:

If you go to the top right of the desktop page and click your profile icon, do you have an option for "paid memberships"? I dunno, I have paid YTM and not Youtube Premium. My only complaint with it is you can't integrate your uploads library and your regular saved library, so I have the discogs of some artists spread across two libraries that don't touch each other. Not a huge deal because I generally know what I feel like listening to and just find it via the search bar.
Kinda interested in what other people don't like about it. As far as I'm concerned, it's actually improved lately because they stopped with the Explore page being that horseshit "every other album on this page is something related to your likes, every other album is whatever bullshit is popular" which was always garbage unless you're into radio music. Now it all might still be crap but I at least can see how each album on the page is related to something I like. Sure, #2 on the page is the new Taylor Swift, but I have Folklore in my library so that's why- it's not pushing that album at me just because it's new and popular.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Grocery stores. Publix is still good, though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

Grocery stores. Publix is still good, though

The Hannafords up here in Maine just keep getting better IMO.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
YouTube on Android TV just changed, so that on my giant TV I can now see huge thumbnails for TWO videos on the YouTube start screen. You have shittons of real estate on a TV screen, why not use it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Did you have any idea how hard it is to maintain 2 different files for ui settings at compile time? That's like a dozen whole lines they'd need to take care of

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tonight, a new option appeared on the settings for youtube videos when changing the video quality - 1080p *premium.* Needs a premium subscription to function, of course. Video quality is getting paygated on the site, which I am sure will only lead to good things.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Brother Tadger posted:

I think that the number of ads that play are partially determined by the uploader, so it may depend on the specific content you are watching on youtube, as well

This. I play a stories-in-the-rain YTer at night and he tells you up front, "This video has three ads after each of the first three stories."

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

Yes and no. The default option is "let youtube decide all the ad breaks". I use this from my own videos and have observed different ad density across different devices.

There is an option to manually set it. Nice people put them at places they think are natural breaks while evil people put maximum ad density.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Brother Tadger posted:

Grocery stores.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

aniviron posted:

Tonight, a new option appeared on the settings for youtube videos when changing the video quality - 1080p *premium.* Needs a premium subscription to function, of course. Video quality is getting paygated on the site, which I am sure will only lead to good things.

This pisses me off as a content creator because it's proof they keep extremely high def versions of my videos and then just don't show them to people.

edit: It's definitely a scam. If this sells then 1080p video will soon go down in quality from ~24Mbps to the ~18Mbps they use for 720p.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 12, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

The road construction projects in my city have been getting shittier over the years.

Well it turns out I can eat poo poo because Illinois just dropped a multi-billion dollar state-wide road restoration project to take place over 6 years. I don't know enough to guess if they'll just pocket this money but like 5 major repairs instantly sprung up in my town so that's cool.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Facebook: Got a killer idea for you guys. You know that place where you leave a comment on a post? What if we changed it so it sends a message instead? It'll look almost exactly the same, so you can Kramer into your friends' inboxes without having to notice or worry about it. What say you?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Not a new thing, but it's astounding that Facebook no longer allows you to just read every post from everyone you follow in chronological order. What good is it to just keep showing me the same handful of "popular" posts or whatever it's doing? Do they not want people to spend more time scrolling on their app, improving their ad revenue?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

run on sentience posted:

Not a new thing, but it's astounding that Facebook no longer allows you to just read every post from everyone you follow in chronological order. What good is it to just keep showing me the same handful of "popular" posts or whatever it's doing? Do they not want people to spend more time scrolling on their app, improving their ad revenue?

Try this: https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I use some little text expander chrome plugin for work and it saves me a ton of time but they’re enshittifying hard now.

The writing was on the wall when they renamed themselves to include something like “Chat GPT writer” in the name. So now when I’m in Gmail they have little buttons placed in my response window to “helpfully” write a response when I will never do that as part of my job. And now they defaulted to having a floating button appear on all pages. Of course, there’s no plugin config settings to disable any of these things.

I’d say “if you’re gonna enshittify something I use for free, let me pay some fee to opt out of this” but lord knows even if I paid that wouldn’t be enough for them and they’d still push through with it.