Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

0xAYN posted:

I'd rather they do it right than grow it at all costs tbh

And I don't particularly care if it never becomes "The Place To Be" as long as it stays the place for leftist queer/trans nerds and their allies
The last "Place To Be" was full of barely literate chuds calling me a groomer demon and that's convinced me that I don't want everyone on the internet hanging out where I want to hang out

Also if any trans people in the thread want in, DM me

definitely okay with this. Let it be a limited space that not everyone has access too, not everything on the internet needs to be for everyone. Or atleast by the time it does open up the chuds shouldn't have a chance to get a foothold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i like discord for the most part, but the one inescapable thing about it is the 4chan gamer frog is everywhere, even in the servers that don't tolerate the slightest bit of chud poo poo

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

The Bananana posted:

I requested the waiting list like 2 months ago

*crickets chirping*

So far, no response. I have to assume they reviewed my posting resume... :smith:

If they'd reviewed your posting resume then they would have already shut the entire thing down to preclude even the possibility that you somehow got your hands on an invite

So they definitely haven't! :unsmith:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

priznat posted:

I'm way taller than musk and fitter too and I can definitely say that zuck would destroy me based on his level of training and fitness.

Elon's loving dead.

Ah but do you have experience in no-rules Street fighting?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Ah but do you have experience in no-rules Street fighting?

I've been pushed down some stairs in my time!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Sorry I meant in terms of reach. Twitter but the reach of a large discord server

yea that makes sense. the one thing i like about it is there are no major brands or other advertisers on there at all, at least not that ive seen. which probably means it won't last very long (or they'll change it in some lovely way to encourage more marketing bs to happen there) but for now its kind of nice to have a relatively quiet social media site where its just people talking to each other and making jokes and stuff

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hello, Vegas? Give me 20 on Zuck.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

0xAYN posted:

I'd rather they do it right than grow it at all costs tbh

And I don't particularly care if it never becomes "The Place To Be" as long as it stays the place for leftist queer/trans nerds and their allies
The last "Place To Be" was full of barely literate chuds calling me a groomer demon and that's convinced me that I don't want everyone on the internet hanging out where I want to hang out

Also if any trans people in the thread want in, DM me

I generally agree but I can't pretend like part of the appeal of Twitter wasn't very publicly dunking on bad tweets and bad people, and thousands of people piling on. I don't think this is particularly healthy behavior though and it's probably good if that aspect of Twitter is gone

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

redshirt posted:

Hello, Vegas? Give me 20 on Zuck.

Hello, this is Vegas. No.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AndrewP posted:

I generally agree but I can't pretend like part of the appeal of Twitter wasn't very publicly dunking on bad tweets and bad people, and thousands of people piling on. I don't think this is particularly healthy behavior though and it's probably good if that aspect of Twitter is gone

i agree it was entertaining. part of the problem tho is a lot of people started getting it into their heads that "publicly dunking on" bad people was in some way doing harm to those bad people, that it was a negative repercussion they were facing for their bad actions.

but it wasn't. the actual real effect of retweeting and dunking on some chud's lovely opinion is: spreading their message and helping them find more likeminded nazi shitheads. and it causes their poo poo to be more amplified by the algorithm. so while it might be fun and make you feel better for a couple minutes, its not only unhealthy, its actively helping the people supposedly being dunked on.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 11, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Bananana posted:

I requested the waiting list like 2 months ago

*crickets chirping*

So far, no response. I have to assume they reviewed my posting resume... :smith:

I signed up in February. I don't think they actually give out invites anymore you have to know someone to invite you which if you are like me with no friends...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You gotta hand it to Zuck and Bezos, at least they devoted a tiny fraction of their billions to not being a fat slob and then followed through.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I know we'd all like to see Elon brutally beaten in the ring but what if while Elon is standing there dazed instead of issuing the final blow, Zuck pulls out his phone and sends Elon a friend request

FRIENDSHIP!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

PostNouveau posted:

Elon's still got like 6 inches

Elon wishes he had 6 inches

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

...! posted:

If they'd reviewed your posting resume then they would have already shut the entire thing down to preclude even the possibility that you somehow got your hands on an invite

Rude!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm a fat goon and I say I hope zuck and musk kill each other, sexually, preferably.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MunchE posted:

The same reason the whole Joe Rogan set are how they are. They want to feel *special* and *smart*. I'm not part of either of the teams, I'm in the middle above the fray of all you partisan idiots! Then they pat themselves on the back about how much of a smart free thinker they are and passionately support every Republican candidate and policy and viciously attack every Democrat. Not because they're on a team mind you, oh no no. But because they did SUCH a good job with all their research they happened on the enlightened answer: Everything Republicans say and do is right and everything Democrats do is wrong
The plot twist... to draw an analogy with the forums... is that this belief that "we believe in free speech without any limits" and "we're open to everything" is an inherent weakness. This forum after all banned Nazi propaganda and outright racism early on, and not even for any real ideological reason but for a rather practical reason, because a forum that's "open" to all points of view is destined to eventually be subverted and destroyed by something that intransigent. You have to keep people like that out and stop them from making GBS threads the place up because they'll wreck it, so you have to be tight on certain topics in certain circumstances, but most of the time, the mods simply don't and can't give that much of a poo poo about what we post.

They take care of certain things and everyone else does whatever the gently caress they want with the rest. If it gets too complicated, you create a subsidiary like a subforum and let mods there manage it and liquidate it if they screw up badly enough (closing Helldump), like putting organized gangs under checks and balances (if not destruction), where therefore results in freeing up the individual, relatively speaking, as opposed to being organized or massively indoctrinated into warring camps who fight and kill each other (if just online) over ideology. This is why the people you're talking about, despite patting themselves on the back about how above-the-fray they are, are the most ideological people.

The ideology is also like a pragmatic relativism which tends to be wary of any absolute claims on truth. But again, there are all kinds of contradictions with this like you point out, or certain assumptions or irreducibles that it rests on (true for every philosophy really), while certain ideas (such as those which challenge concentrated wealth and power) are ipso facto ruled out of court because "it doesn't work" or violates some abstract concept like "human nature" which you can sit around and endlessly debate about for 1,000 years.

Not to go on too long, but a philosophically point about "free speech" :reddit: being sorta bogus, in that everything we say is shaped by structures we learned as children like the language itself. To communicate with power means a structure of some kind rather than just babbling nonsense, and so "my free speech is being suppressed" can often be a mask for demanding that everyone listen to you all the time. I have a "right" to be boosted directly into your timeline and any restriction on that is a restriction my "free speech." But there are time/place restrictions on public speech, like I can't go out into my town square with a megaphone and shout all night. So a world of perfect free speech, without any restrictions (which includes the restrictions placed upon us by language itself), would be a planet of babies who haven't learned language yet screaming into the cosmos.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Has anyone made a Lowtax vs Uwe Boll reference yet :regd08:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TLDR: you have to immediately kick the nazi out of your bar, otherwise you become the nazi bar

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

This forum after all banned Nazi propaganda and outright racism early on

unless it was perceived as "ironic" or "a joke" by the site owner or whatever mod is looking at it at the time

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ProfessorMarvel posted:

Has anyone made a Lowtax vs Uwe Boll reference yet :regd08:

Lowtax vs Boll actually happened and Musk vs Zuck never will

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Brother Tadger posted:

TLDR: you have to immediately kick the nazi out of your bar, otherwise you become the nazi bar
Or just posting lol over and over again. That's like the baby analogy. Imagine a world of seven billion babies all lolling forever and unable to say anything else. Or posting the crying emoji and that being the only word in the vocabulary. That's Musk's vision. That or the Nazi bar, I'm not sure.

Earwicker posted:

unless it was perceived as "ironic" or "a joke" by the site owner or whatever mod is looking at it at the time
Well I didn't say it ran perfectly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

i like discord for the most part, but the one inescapable thing about it is the 4chan gamer frog is everywhere, even in the servers that don't tolerate the slightest bit of chud poo poo

That is also all over Twitch, used by people who would not associate it with 4chan at all. I've given up on seeing that one as indicative of anything.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

That is also all over Twitch, used by people who would not associate it with 4chan at all. I've given up on seeing that one as indicative of anything.

I feel that frog could be considered as reclaimed from the chuds at this point, yeah.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Midnight Voyager posted:

To be fair, pepe was around long before it was a hate thing. Dude made it in 2005. And pretty sure he specifically hates that it became an alt-right hate thing.
Was a twitch thing long before that too, and it wasn't even a hate symbol on 4chan originally either (rare pepes). I take pepe with a grain of salt just like the ok sign, just give it context and you'll know if it's a nazi or not.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 11, 2023

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Midnight Voyager posted:

It does seem that after Reddit ran out the dumbfuck clownworld folks the 4chan crowd has mostly moved on and now if I see a Pepe in the wild it's more often than not just gamers doing gamer poo poo.

Which tbf often also means Nazi poo poo but I did not mean this in this context

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Brother Tadger posted:

Or in Jack Dorsey's case, you make bank selling your Nazi bar, then open a new place which people say is great because it has no Nazis (yet) and your old bar got even worse in the meantime. I have zero confidence that Jack won't turn bluesky into chud central if he thinks it'll turn a buck.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Further Reading posted:

I feel that frog could be considered as reclaimed from the chuds at this point, yeah.

MunchE posted:

It does seem that after Reddit ran out the dumbfuck clownworld folks the 4chan crowd has mostly moved on and now if I see a Pepe in the wild it's more often than not just gamers doing gamer poo poo.

Which tbf often also means Nazi poo poo but I did not mean this in this context

Good point I didn't add, yeah I never see it used in hate poo poo anymore, it was coopted for a very short period.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's all over a lot of places. Even divorced from the chud poo poo, it's just such a tiresome meme. I'm looking forward to the day it disappears like all the proto-wojaks did

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I remember during the trump years there was some fash event like charlottesville but smaller where some memelord showed up and the rest of the chuds were telling him to gently caress off as he unpacked all his pepe-meme signs and then said "but these are good memes!" and I think that was when pepe jumped the shark.

0xAYN
Nov 22, 2010

idk lol

Kit Walker posted:

It's all over a lot of places. Even divorced from the chud poo poo, it's just such a tiresome meme. I'm looking forward to the day it disappears like all the proto-wojaks did

sadge

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Or in Jack Dorsey's case, you make bank selling your Nazi bar, then open a new place which people say is great because it has no Nazis (yet) and your old bar got even worse in the meantime. I have zero confidence that Jack won't turn bluesky into chud central if he thinks it'll turn a buck.

From what I understand Jack owns very little of bluesky and likely has no real decision making power.

However, the point of bluesky the company isn't to be the next twitter but to built the framework that people can use to make a bunch of twitters. I would expect a bunch of innocuous instances get spooled up by Nazis playing the long game, kind of like how nazi early adopters on reddit snagged the xkcd subreddit and used it to promote holocaust denial.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1678800195365269504

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Halisnacks posted:

Feels inevitable that there won’t be a single “digital public square”: Threads will become the platform for libs in the broad sense (center left to center right), Twitter will be the platform for chuds and crypto bros.

Still not sure where the leftists and general shitposters will end up.

And to think, we could have regulated it like a utility.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Further Reading posted:

:feelsgood:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I remember during the trump years there was some fash event like charlottesville but smaller where some memelord showed up and the rest of the chuds were telling him to gently caress off as he unpacked all his pepe-meme signs and then said "but these are good memes!" and I think that was when pepe jumped the shark.

That dude got time for Jan. 6

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

That dude got time for Jan. 6

That dude is gonna get some of the most embarrassing prison tattoos ever

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kit Walker posted:

Like unsealing the darkness that existed before Time itself was created.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

kazil posted:

While Zuck isn't the youngest guy, Musk is also 52 years old

i am two years younger than zucc which means i am not the youngest guy. when did this happen?? when did i become not the youngest guy???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

elon and his site and its adherents are a disease