Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The sidequests aren't the most engaging gameplay, but a lot of the game's best worldbuilding and some fantastic side plots come out of them. The things that gave me the most genuine discomfort with the state of the world, as well as the one thing to get me misty-eyed in the game came from sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doos
Jan 1, 2015

DanielCross posted:

The sidequests aren't the most engaging gameplay, but a lot of the game's best worldbuilding and some fantastic side plots come out of them. The things that gave me the most genuine discomfort with the state of the world, as well as the one thing to get me misty-eyed in the game came from sidequests.

The sidequests that you get at the end of the game range from being the sweetest, most adorable, heartwarming stuff - to like "hey did you forget about the millennia of backstory you have toward this specific subject?". It's very hit or miss.

The game has Gav though so it's good no matter what.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I miss Little V showing up on streams but I'm happy he gets to do this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkvX6iy7VmA

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

doos posted:

The sidequests that you get at the end of the game range from being the sweetest, most adorable, heartwarming stuff - to like "hey did you forget about the millennia of backstory you have toward this specific subject?". It's very hit or miss.

There's a button to remind yourself of lore at any point in the game

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah the gameplay in them might not be that noteworthy usually but world building and dialogue wise like 90% of them are great. Was pretty sad to see him just mashing through Quinten, Martha and even Charon dialogue.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Overlord K posted:

Yeah the gameplay in them might not be that noteworthy usually but world building and dialogue wise like 90% of them are great. Was pretty sad to see him just mashing through Quinten, Martha and even Charon dialogue.

This is why I always laugh when I hear Pat say "should I stream Xenooblade again?" because this is what it'd end up as.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So Woolie will go through and either spend extra time analyzing the dialogue from those side quests or he might just skip them or do them off stream. Might be the latter if Pat comes into the podcast one week saying they're all worthless cause he doesn't know poo poo.

Hopefully we get some interesting discussion during the spoiler cast where it almost seems like they played different games because of their play styles.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Brightman posted:

So Woolie will go through and either spend extra time analyzing the dialogue from those side quests or he might just skip them or do them off stream. Might be the latter if Pat comes into the podcast one week saying they're all worthless cause he doesn't know poo poo.

Hopefully we get some interesting discussion during the spoiler cast where it almost seems like they played different games because of their play styles.

That’s what made both of their Mass Effect play throughs interesting. Pat did a perfect playthrough but Ignored all the lore stuff. Woolie and Reggie had an incredibly imperfect playthrough but when extremely in depth on all the lore stuff. After watching both of them I felt like I got a much more complete view of the game than if I had just played it myself.

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2835767&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=103099#post353871719

I was bored and clicked a random page of a FYAD thread dating back to 2008.

....that's Matt right??? Lmfao.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

emptyrave posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2835767&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=103099#post353871719

I was bored and clicked a random page of a FYAD thread dating back to 2008.

....that's Matt right??? Lmfao.

No Matt's SA same was something different, that guy just kinda looks like him.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat referring to In From the Cold as good is perhaps his most insane take of all

E: or rather, him complaining about nerfs to the temporary character switch portion, which is bad like every temporary switch in FF14 is

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 10, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's legit one of the best moments in ff14 and I cleared it at launch in one attempt. It wasn't that hard and the struggle was both the narrative and thematic point. It needs that little tiny bit of edge to land.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 10, 2023

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pretty sure most people liked that quest so the take is room temperature at best

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The quest at large is good, that part is awful. And most people agreed it was awful, which is why they nerfed it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

The quest at large is good, that part is awful. And most people agreed it was awful, which is why they nerfed it.

No it was good but most ff14 players are dogshit at the game so any difficulty at all becomes a wall (See how easy MSQ dungeons are and how much of a wall certain story trials becomes)

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

It was good. I failed it horribly, which unlocked the Very Easy version of it, which I completed Very Easily. They should have left the Normal version the same for the people who like that, and made the easier versions Even Very Easier for people who need that.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

DrakePegasus posted:

It was good. I failed it horribly, which unlocked the Very Easy version of it, which I completed Very Easily. They should have left the Normal version the same for the people who like that, and made the easier versions Even Very Easier for people who need that.

To my understanding, that's what they did, the first time they nerfed it at least. If they nerfed it again later I missed it, but the first nerf was explicitly only for the Easy/Very Easy versions, so the Normal difficulty was untouched.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I beat it in one try but it was obnoxious as heck and I hated it

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The obnoxiousness is the point. It's a solo duty designed to have friction. You can dislike it all you want but it's pretty intentionally meant to catch in your mental gears and gently caress with you.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

yeah, In From the Cold was one of the highlights of the entire ff14 experience for me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It definitely had the right effect for me (feeling like I barely made it through) but I 100% can see it getting really frustrating having to repeat it. Like it strikes me as either it lands and has an incredible effect, or just completely sours you on the moment.

Monathin posted:

The obnoxiousness is the point. It's a solo duty designed to have friction. You can dislike it all you want but it's pretty intentionally meant to catch in your mental gears and gently caress with you.

Big vibes of:

(you're not really wrong, but...)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Monathin posted:

I won't get super into it but that whole expansion had an issue where I just did not buy into any of its antagonists. Crazy moments, crazy settings, but the villains left a ton to be desired and I think that probably bled into that quest for me. Was tired of their bullshit before that quest, unaware of all the bullshit that lay before me.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

In from the cold ruled, and I have no clue that people found it difficult. Just don't fight every battle foreheads.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I won't get super into it but that whole expansion had an issue where I just did not buy into any of its antagonists. Crazy moments, crazy settings, but the villains left a ton to be desired and I think that probably bled into that quest for me. Was tired of their bullshit before that quest, unaware of all the bullshit that lay before me.

Skill issue.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I...uh...huh.

Nah the antagonists sucked

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that's a freaking mirror you're looking at and the mirror has pictures of your friends and loved ones also

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fandaniel (Amon Version) rules but Fandaniel (Hermes Version) was fuckin lame

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Woolie's hatred of everything Gundam SEED makes me feel better

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Iirc Woolie prefers subtitles so perhaps he just hasn't heard the magnificence of Dub Rau.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Woolie's hatred of everything Gundam SEED makes me feel better

That conversation is amazing because they refer to Wing as modern and get through the whole thing without acknowledging that Witch exists

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

is there a reason Woolie doesnt use drive impact at all in this SF6 world tour lp? is that like a contentious topic in the street fighter community

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

mistermojo posted:

is there a reason Woolie doesnt use drive impact at all in this SF6 world tour lp? is that like a contentious topic in the street fighter community

i think it's because you have to unlock it in world tour mode, and he hasn't yet

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rody One Half posted:

That conversation is amazing because they refer to Wing as modern and get through the whole thing without acknowledging that Witch exists

lol incredible

Red Metal posted:

i think it's because you have to unlock it in world tour mode, and he hasn't yet

Yeah, it takes a minute before you can unlock meter in WT

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Im pretty sure I had it from the start, I remember all the characters having their own fun color and also me using it to cheese enemies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

mistermojo posted:

Im pretty sure I had it from the start, I remember all the characters having their own fun color and also me using it to cheese enemies.

Your memory is wrong

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/13y4565/cant_use_drive_impactparry_in_world_tour_mode/

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

crazy. well thats memory for you

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

lol incredible
I'm genuinely kind of shocked Woolie isn't actually a gunpla guy because most of his opinions directly map to them

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rody One Half posted:

I'm genuinely kind of shocked Woolie isn't actually a gunpla guy because most of his opinions directly map to them

It's very easy to be a gunpla-like guy without being A gunpla guy. Gunpla is a lot of money, and maybe work if you're one of the few that actually builds your kits.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
It's not as much of a buy in as a lot of hobbies, but doing it right takes time, especially if you get one of the really detailed kits.

I feel like Woolie has some Gundam but I don't know if he built them or what. They're certainly within his ability to make but yeah, it can be a lot of time and he doesn't seem to have a ton of that lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

im not a "gunpla" dude but i feel like if you are buying em and dont build them yourself you are an entire-rear end clown. power to the people getting paid to put them together for clowns tho i guess