Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm trying to make it so all my hot ingots coming out of my EBF go to the vacuum freezer directly, while letting the non-hot ingots go to the output chest directly. I'm trying out a type filter here, and it does work for pushing hot ingots to the vacuum freezer. However, it doesn't allow anything other than hot ingots to enter it. This makes sense in retrospect, but I originally thought it allowed all items to pass through it but only pushed the chosen type of item out a different direction. Now I'm not sure how to do this. If the type filter is attached to a series of pipes, will the type of item it's filtering for be automatically pulled to it? Or am I using the wrong block here? I know distributors exist but I thought those were for regulating amounts of items going places. There's also non-type filter blocks but I'm not sure how those get used either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You can put GT covers on the type filter itself. My pre AE setup was to put the type filter directly adjacent to my EBF's output chest set to suck hot ingots out of that directly, and then have an item conduit channel routing the type filter output to the vacuum freezer. No reason that wouldn't work with item pipes diectly.

This is also how I filtered out stone dust in ore processing to a super chest without bothering with an intermediate locked drawer (the common poor man's item filter), put the super chest directly adjacent to output chest. It works perfectly for GT blocks that have built in filtering mechanisms like that because the conveyor won't pull items that the block it's attached to is incapable of accepting. Item pipes are capable of accepting anything and getting clogged as a result, but type filters can't.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 4, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

I'm trying to make it so all my hot ingots coming out of my EBF go to the vacuum freezer directly, while letting the non-hot ingots go to the output chest directly. I'm trying out a type filter here, and it does work for pushing hot ingots to the vacuum freezer. However, it doesn't allow anything other than hot ingots to enter it. This makes sense in retrospect, but I originally thought it allowed all items to pass through it but only pushed the chosen type of item out a different direction. Now I'm not sure how to do this. If the type filter is attached to a series of pipes, will the type of item it's filtering for be automatically pulled to it? Or am I using the wrong block here? I know distributors exist but I thought those were for regulating amounts of items going places. There's also non-type filter blocks but I'm not sure how those get used either.

All GT item filter blocks, such as the type filter, only have one output. Type filters can only accept as input the items their filter matches. What you want to do in this situation is use the mechanics of GT item pipes to your advantage.

* GT item pipes always attempt to deliver items to the closest destination first.
* Restrictive item pipes count as being 100,000 blocks or more away to the routing algorithm.

With these two features in mind, here's how to design the pipe system: Connect the output of your EBF to item pipes that go to the type filter (pointed at the vacuum freezer's input bus,) then branch off with one restrictive pipe. From the restrictive pipe, lay regular pipes to the destination for everything else. Then, for added fun, hook up the output bus of the vacuum freezer to that branch as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

All GT item filter blocks, such as the type filter, only have one output. Type filters can only accept as input the items their filter matches. What you want to do in this situation is use the mechanics of GT item pipes to your advantage.

* GT item pipes always attempt to deliver items to the closest destination first.
* Restrictive item pipes count as being 100,000 blocks or more away to the routing algorithm.

With these two features in mind, here's how to design the pipe system: Connect the output of your EBF to item pipes that go to the type filter (pointed at the vacuum freezer's input bus,) then branch off with one restrictive pipe. From the restrictive pipe, lay regular pipes to the destination for everything else. Then, for added fun, hook up the output bus of the vacuum freezer to that branch as well.

Thanks, I was close to having figured it out myself but I'm still figuring out how restrictive pipes are best inserted into a system so I didn't quite get it. Using them as a fake "endpoint of the line" after all other branches seems like their intended purpose. I also already had the vacuum freezer output bus attached to the EBF output line so that was an easy add.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

You can also accomplish the same thing as restrictive pipes by just using different size item pipes at forks if you're too lazy to craft them. The routing value is the important thing, and different sizes/pipe materials all have different routing values. Restrictive pipes just exaggerate the differences. IMO in most situations where you'd mess with those it makes more sense to switch to item conduits, which give you much less jank to deal with for setting up more complex automation. And conduit channels give you one more option for setting up filtering.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

You can also accomplish the same thing as restrictive pipes by just using different size item pipes at forks if you're too lazy to craft them. The routing value is the important thing, and different sizes/pipe materials all have different routing values. Restrictive pipes just exaggerate the differences. IMO in most situations where you'd mess with those it makes more sense to switch to item conduits, which give you much less jank to deal with for setting up more complex automation. And conduit channels give you one more option for setting up filtering.

Can confirm. Ditch pipes and move to conduits. Here is my setup. The conduits don't pull anything out of those diamond output chests if it can't go into the hot ingot type filter. This is fine by me because I don't care that everything coming off of the EBF doesn't go to one location. Also added text about my quad fluid hatch setup which is super convenient.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Does nomi have type filters? Or were they replaced with ore dict and smart filters?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Reading this line about AE2 and auto crafting

quote:

Let's theorycraft an example. Let's say you want to autocraft 1x tin cables. We need a processing pattern with: 1 1x tin wire and 1 rubber sheet. This can't be dumped directly into an assembler because the rubber sheet has to be fluid extracted, so we will instead connect the interface to a chest. This will make the ME network dump a 1x tin wire and 1 rubber sheet into the chest whenever you request a tin cable from a terminal. From the chest, you can have a filtered Ender IO item conduit take all rubber sheets and insert them into a fluid extractor while taking all non-rubber items and inserting it into an assembler. The output of the assembler (a 1x tin cable) can then be inserted back into the ME network and the recipe will be considered "complete" by the ME network.

Note that you would probably also need to set up autocrafting for the 1x tin wires as well: 1 tin ingot->2 1x tin wires. This recipe could be hooked up directly to a Gregtech wiremill. But note if you do this, you will literally have a limit of 4x9 wiremill recipes. This is because interfaces can only hold 9 recipes each and only 4 of the 6 faces of a Gregtech machine can have an interface attached to it: one is a non-insertible "face" of the machine and the other would be used for EU input. To get around this, we can do what we did before and instead connect the interface to a chest. The chest can then have items transported from it to the machine. You will notice that doing it this way is also easily expandable since we can easily just add more chests/interfaces. As long as the ME network receives 2 1x tin wires after dumping a tin ingot into the chest, any setup is valid.

Having read that and how to get around the 4x9 me interface limit using a chest buffer. How do you get around circuits? Do you just make multiples of the machine per circuit?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

With the multiblock versions, if you have input separation on, you can just do an input bus for each circuit with a separate interface for each. But yes, otherwise it means multiple copies of the machine.

Input separation + the multiblock is also the main way to set up extruder recipe autocrafting, just with the shapes instead of circuits.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

before threefold retired gtnh (again) he was building gt++ multiblocks of the classic machines (wiremill, bending, etc) and using separate input buses for different circuits. i think that can be done on single blocks too by using PAs

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Either you have one assembly machine per circuit, or you build a processing array. the PA is a multiblock you'll get to somewhat soon in the questbook, it requires a lapotronic energy orb, and the book recommends you spend your one on it. the PA is really cool and definitely worth the effort. Even if you ignore the batch crafting aspect of it, it's still really nice to stuff it with input buses and give each one a different circuit and corresponding interface.

e- i'm speaking specifically regarding the assembly machine. its GT++ multiblock isn't available until post-assline, unlike most of the other GT++ multis, like the industrial extruder for instance. most of them don't require the PA, but assembling machines do.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 5, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

(Assuming we're talking about GTNH)

In EV/IV, prefer to build the GT++ multiblocks vs. PAs when possible. They are far cheaper and have energy discounts to help drive more parallels. PAs can do more raw throughput, but at a commensurately higher cost. GT++ multiblocks also work as a cleanroom for any machine they support. So do PAs, which is why I often make a PA just to hold a single circuit assembler, so I can offline my cleanroom entirely.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

(Assuming we're talking about GTNH)

In EV/IV, prefer to build the GT++ multiblocks vs. PAs when possible. They are far cheaper and have energy discounts to help drive more parallels. PAs can do more raw throughput, but at a commensurately higher cost. GT++ multiblocks also work as a cleanroom for any machine they support. So do PAs, which is why I often make a PA just to hold a single circuit assembler, so I can offline my cleanroom entirely.

That sounds like a good plan and easier to automate circuits over figuring out how to route it all in my clean room via wireless AE. What machines do I need to have a multiblock of to offline the cleanroom? Circuit assembly in a PA and?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

That sounds like a good plan and easier to automate circuits over figuring out how to route it all in my clean room via wireless AE. What machines do I need to have a multiblock of to offline the cleanroom? Circuit assembly in a PA and?

Cutting machine, and the Precision Laser Engraver. The PLE, unfortunately, is balled up into the extremely high effort coding job known as the Large Processing Factory (LPF.) The LPF can be up to 9 different machines, but only 3 at a time. These things are ridiculously expensive; you need SIX IV machines to craft them, plus a goofy GT++ alloy made with Thorium-232, a noted pain in the rear end. No one would fault you for just slapping a PLE in a PA while you get that noise together. LPFs are really great, though, so consider making some when your autocrafting exists better.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I have found another TFC+Gregtech pack, this time on 1.12 featuring Thaumcraft 6 and Astral Sorcery? This version of TFC looks a lot different from the original heh.

So out of morbid curiosity I'm checking it out.

The pack is called TerraFirmaGreg: New Horizons, which is kind of amusing.

Edit: This version of TFC apparently makes straw a chance drop from long grass???

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 7, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there a way to find out what is dropping my fps? It's something I added recently to my base. If I go to my personal dimension my fps is fine.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Is there a way to find out what is dropping my fps? It's something I added recently to my base. If I go to my personal dimension my fps is fine.

If your modpack has Observable, you can do a profile and it'll do a color-coded overlay of the blocks that are getting ticked and give you a list of block coordinates you can go look at.

If you don't have Observable, you might have Spark, which will give you a flame graph that'll at least tell you which mod is causing the problem.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Holyshoot posted:

It helps to know which version of minecraft you're on.

Laggoggles for 1.12.2, Opis for 1.7.10, Observable and Spark mentioned above are for newer versions but one of those 4 will cover most cases.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rynoto posted:

It helps to know which version of minecraft you're on.

Laggoggles for 1.12.2, Opis for 1.7.10, Observable and Spark mentioned above are for newer versions but one of those 4 will cover most cases.

I'm on 1.7.10 GTNH. I can try opis I've used it before. But I thought it was for tick rate only? The tick rate is fine. This is purely an fps drop.

Edit: That computer system was definitely worth setting up. Took a whole day for the bot to do its thing but I now have my breeding stock.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 9, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Edit: That computer system was definitely worth setting up. Took a whole day for the bot to do its thing but I now have my breeding stock.

What tier do you need to be to use the crop robot? I've heard of it but never tried it.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

HV, MAYBE MV? That's when most of OpenComputers opens up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Will have to look into it. I'm normally rabidly anti-crop and anti-bee, but if I have a robot to do the terrible part, then it's more appealing. In particular, black stonelily is something I want. Fluorine is a MAJOR headache in LuV+, and black stonelily can provide it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

What tier do you need to be to use the crop robot? I've heard of it but never tried it.

Obtaining these components will require access to EV circuits and epoxid (late HV)
https://wiki.gtnewhorizons.com/wiki/Open_Computers_Crop_Breeding

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Will have to look into it. I'm normally rabidly anti-crop and anti-bee, but if I have a robot to do the terrible part, then it's more appealing. In particular, black stonelily is something I want. Fluorine is a MAJOR headache in LuV+, and black stonelily can provide it.

You could just centrifuge stone dust for biotite but it's not great because it takes so long. You'd need to set up a lot of passive power and parallel centrifuges to get as much as even a small lovely-stat black stonelily farm.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Holyshoot posted:

I'm on 1.7.10 GTNH. I can try opis I've used it before. But I thought it was for tick rate only? The tick rate is fine. This is purely an fps drop.

In that case shove this backport of laggoggles in here

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rynoto posted:

In that case shove this backport of laggoggles in here

Ty I actually was able to use opis to find the offending block.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Watch out when doing stone lilly. I have yet to get it to work for those. It did my saltyrooot just fine but when I run autoStat && autoSpread on yellow stonelilly it picks up the two crops I have of it and keeps going.

Edit: got it fixed with some help from discord. The lillys I were using were growth 22 which the program treats as a weed and picks up to store.

Edit 2: I kind of want to make a super tank V (64m mb) to store my CBD so I can monitor it with one sensor and fill it up and not have to mess with fuel for a bit. I made one for oxygen. Does this sound like a bad idea? I know the optimal solution is to setup some sort of passive CBD line but this seems easier. Spend a few hours filling it up and it should last at least a week for play time or more.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 11, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Slowly going insane because I cannot stand those mods that make items lie flat on the ground. The default setting looks fine. It is readable and attention getting.

Who would choose this. It looks so ugly. Why do they take more system resources. Why do I have to right click to pick the items up. Why are these mods in every modpack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't mind that visually, but making me right click to pick things up should be punishable by public hanging.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
wanted to play some modded minecraft after not playing since... probably the good old days of SA vs FTB drama

Really out of the loop about what mod packs are good. After a pack with a bit of difficulty to it so as to not just burn out immediately, gregtech or something equivalent. I'm one of those hosed up people that used to like gregtech and forestry, even the bees, and the more pointless tedium the better. So anything with pretty multiblock machines that take far too long to actually build is perfect. I have taken a cursory glance at the top packs on curseforge and they all seem to be either kitchen sink style or fantasy rpg packs. I'm really not fond of the giant packs that just give you 300 mods that do the same thing and you can immediately build ore processors with x5 output. I don't mind big mod packs but i'd like a feeling of progression.

Might end up having to make my own pack if I can remember how but any help would be appreciated.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Regarde Aduck posted:

wanted to play some modded minecraft after not playing since... probably the good old days of SA vs FTB drama

Really out of the loop about what mod packs are good. After a pack with a bit of difficulty to it so as to not just burn out immediately, gregtech or something equivalent. I'm one of those hosed up people that used to like gregtech and forestry, even the bees, and the more pointless tedium the better. So anything with pretty multiblock machines that take far too long to actually build is perfect. I have taken a cursory glance at the top packs on curseforge and they all seem to be either kitchen sink style or fantasy rpg packs. I'm really not fond of the giant packs that just give you 300 mods that do the same thing and you can immediately build ore processors with x5 output. I don't mind big mod packs but i'd like a feeling of progression.

Might end up having to make my own pack if I can remember how but any help would be appreciated.

GregTech New Horizons is, weirdly, one of the better packs in the mix nowadays. It has bees AND ic2 crops, for people who enjoy self-harm-adjacent activities, plus GregTech, Thaumcraft, and a bunch of other stuff. I guess the eight years of continuous development and a ton of custom code did it good.

Lots of multiblocks, too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

GTNH. Become one of us. Bonus: Sick psychopaths have done runs where all the resources come from bees if you REALLY love forestry.

Or NomiCEU if you don't feel like jumping straight into the deep end.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 12, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, and some really big ones too.

(ignore the rendering errors in that last one, i play nightly versions and they tend to be hosed up in subtle ways)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
My go-to recommendation for people wanting a quest/progression-centric thing that isn’t greg-based production line optimization is Create: Astral (https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/create-astral). Has what I feel like is a good balance between “encourages you to go out and explore/gather a bunch of poo poo” and “encourages you to build a big factory base with a bunch of different production lines generating effectively infinite resources”. Is largely centered around Create, which is by far the best in show when it comes to “big complicated pretty multiblock factory structures”. Gives you access to AE2 just as your inventory problems would become overwhelming, and actually justifies the use of a space mod by tiering the availability of materials until you reach the appropriate planet, alongside interesting pre-generated structures to work with/loot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would definitely recommend Nomifactory. It's a little more focused and modern than GTNH, and NomiCEU is intentionally harder and more contrived in some places. Nomifactory feels user friendly (by comparison) while still having a sea of content to dive into and it will take a long time to get through, with new machines and systems constantly being unlocked. Good way to lose a lot of time.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Posting this here since I know not everyone sits on the GTNH discord. But it's a openComputers thing that lets you see a heads up display of your power use, total, time to run out etc. Also has some other features for automation.

https://github.com/S4mpsa/NIDAS

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, and some really big ones too.

What in the hell is that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been having a lot of fun with ATM8 at this point im just picking a mod within it and playing the quest line / building poo poo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Saw a pack called UniversIO and thought I'd give it a shot. Starts off very strangely, with you as something of a deity bouncing around in infinite space, using gluons to stick quarks together and make neutrons and protons and eventually your first hydrogen atom. Then mashing those to make denser elements, creating the force of gravity, using that to coalesce stars, then using the resulting supernovas to harvest denser elements. In short order you create Earth, and are able to go down to the planet to do all manner of other things. Along the way there's lore and mysterious communications from some strange higher beings.

That initial bit is the only really cool part of the pack. No lore ever comes up again and quests from here on out stop having any text descriptions. It segues from there into Botania, for some reason, but only really long enough to get a terrasteel plate up and make the ProjectE transmutation tablet. It then jumps into Pneumaticraft of all things, which lasts for a short while before being immediately dumped. The modpack continues like this for a while, sporadically skipping from one unrelated mod to another (including Reactive, which expects you to use the crucible with mechanics never explained anywhere in the game*) until you reach a checkpoint and then never returning to it, until you finally get to EMC generation and then it turns completely into an idle game. You spend the rest of the game sleeping to fast forward time and increase EMC generation until at last the whole thing abruptly ends, with literally a "gg you win", capped off with maybe the worst modded boss fight I've ever seen.
Incredible disappointment after such a unique opener. Thankfully a very brief pack all considered.

*To give you an idea of how poorly explained this is, you make a crucible block, and are given no instructions on what it is or how it works. You're instructed to make litmus paper, saying you can use it to "see what's in a crucible". The NEI recipe just says that you have to put a piece of paper into a crucible and litmus paper comes out, and at the bottom red text says "LIGHT, MIND". What this actually means is that you have to fill up the crucible with water (using a new iron bucket, the wooden bucket you've been using for this entire pack WILL NOT WORK, don't be stupid), then throw in several vials of elemental Neon and Nitrogen (apparently these are "light" and "mind" respectively, somehow), then throw in a sheet of paper to turn it into litmus paper. If you didn't add enough vials the paper instead just gets destroyed with no meaningful feedback on what went wrong. There is no indication what the gently caress "LIGHT, MIND" means or how you were supposed to know that.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 12, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arrath posted:

What in the hell is that

Space elevator. Harvests approximately ten to twenty metric fucktons of ore or liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arrath posted:

What in the hell is that

It's the Space Elevator. It mines ore, pumps fluid, and does microgravity assembling, depending on the modules you employ.

For example, the mining module sends out drones to mine asteroids somewhere in the solar system, then brings back goodies.