Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I thought the localization for Reverie was quite good actually. Better than the Cold Steel ones that’s for sure.

Made me wonder if they hired some of the Geofront crew to work on it.

Yeah members of the Geofront team and Hatsuu helped with the localization

The actual problems in Reverie are bugs and QA stuff, not the actual text itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the text has been fine, the only two things I've noticed so far was one text box getting overflowed by text and a single typo, and given I'm a stickler that's pretty good for something that's showing bugginess.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Reverie) Okay, I installed the replacement link table and have now finished all routes of Act 1. I don't really get what the numbers at the side mean under the "Act X" but, but whatever.

Very little about anything I've seen so far makes much sense.

- (Act 1, Lloyd route end) Normally, I'd say the idea that the Ebon Defense Force has gone from weak to Super Amazingly Powerful in literally one month where they were locked up would mean that the people in charge of the prison are responsible, but that would make sense, so that can't be the right answer.
- (Act 1, Lloyd route end) I fully expect that the headline of the Crossbell times one week after the events of Reverie end will be something like: "Crossbell conquered by untrained 6-year old child with a pointy stick." What does the Guardian Force even DO? We know that Crossbell has radar to detect airships, telephones and cell phones to convey information. How did all these troops get into the heart of the city completely and totally unnoticed by anything?

- (Act 1, Rean Route end) (Cold Steel 4) You would THINK that Rean and co breaking into every city in south/west Erebonia and beating the forces there, winning all the Rivalries against The Most Powerful People In The World, then breaking into the Death Fortress and beating up most of the Most Powerful People In The World would have been enough to prove that they're capable of an investigation mission. But no, they're all weak and useless, compared to a Brand New Most Powerful Person In The World and must prove themselves to not be pitiful worms.
- (Act 1, Rean Route end) Maybe this is info which will be provided at the start of Rean's Act 2 route, but this mission to find Olivert - at any point were they going to provide useful information, such as "where was Olivier going," "when and where did the Courageous II disappear from radar," and "were there any other anomalies either on radar or nearby along the route Olivier was following?" The impression I'm getting from people mentioning "we've checked the Eisengard Range" is "we're going to just search every random place in the entire country using a tiny handful of people until we stumble on a lead."

- (Act 1, C Route end) How is Black Alberich's personal combat shell there. He is most definitely deader than dead. Okay, granted the Black Workshop was abandoned by the Gnomes partway through CS 4, so they could have another base... except that literally the whole point of CS4 Act 1 was to use Spirit Veins Radar to detect where the workshop was, and they narrowed it down to one point. As a native Erebonian faction, I don't really get the impression that they had a backup base somewhere outside of Erebonia. Guess they just built a base in the middle of nowhere somewhere else and rebuilt their entire gigantic base and operation in 3 months or whatever without anyone noticing.
- (Act 1, C Route end) I don't even understand why they're using "Reborn Imperial Liberation Front." The only stated goals is to fight against Rufus for being an rear end in a top hat and for Olivier for not cracking down hard enough on Rufus and other assholes. (I may be remembering this wrong.)
- (Act 1, C Route end) (C identity speculation) This C uses a sword and speaks more formally. It doesn't match Crow, nor Crow's goals. OH. Of course. C could stand for Cedric, I guess. Cedric had a sword and he'd have beef with Olivert and probably Rufus who was planning to betray Osborne. This is probably also wrong, but it's the best fit so far.
- (Act 1, C Route end) Oh joy. They're doing another Girl in a Box. And she's got heterochromia, for extra Original Character Do Not Steal energy. And judging by the wrist joint, it is literally going to be a constructed doll, made of inorganic materials which somehow has sentience just because.

Tesseraction posted:

To be honest early in the game my biggest issue was being a moron and trying to turn on automatically progressing dialogue and hitting L1 instead of R1, which for those who aren't sure, here's my warning: L1 is turbo-skip until you have to make a choice or the scene ends.

Yeah, on keyboard that was "Enter" by default. You know, the thing used in every other game to advance dialogue to the next line? I remapped that button to something extremely out of the way super fast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think you should stop playing these games you obviously hate now

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Some of your questions will be answered later or in the daydreams.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
As the resident "i hate CS3 and CS4" wet blanket, I have to say Stabbey, you're working overtime to steal my title.

Especially because I don't hate Reverie nearly as much as you do.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

theblackw0lf posted:

I thought the localization for Reverie was quite good actually. Better than the Cold Steel ones that’s for sure.

Well, that's good news at least. I've been dreading this part.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- (Act 1, C Route end) (C identity speculation) This C uses a sword and speaks more formally. It doesn't match Crow, nor Crow's goals. OH. Of course. C could stand for Cedric, I guess. Cedric had a sword and he'd have beef with Olivert and probably Rufus who was planning to betray Osborne. This is probably also wrong, but it's the best fit so far.

I'm mostly posting this in case I'm right and I think I might be on the cusp of finding out who C is so it's now or never but C speaks with Rufus's cadence and accent (behind the filter) so I'm wondering if something is happening there, although in the opening credits C and Rufus directly fight so it can't be. My wonder is if they used Rufus's voice actor to gently caress with you.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I just started Reverie and completed the Prologue

- There's definitely money in some of these cutscenes, like the SSS crashing into the skyscraper at the beginning

- I liked that the actions of the IDF occupying Crossbell and desperately trying to restart the War with Calvard is all them. There's no Curse to whisper in their ear, just them feeling like they're in too deep and trying to make sense of doing everything their country told them to do, only for Erebonia to turn around and say "whoops that was a mistake!" And I like the comparison Lloyd gives where he and the rest of the SSS made their decision in Azure and had to deal with the fallout and humiliation of the annex. But at least they could still hold their heads up because it was worth it for their loved ones, and as the IDF if they could do the same continuing the occupation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I'm mostly posting this in case I'm right and I think I might be on the cusp of finding out who C is so it's now or never but C speaks with Rufus's cadence and accent (behind the filter) so I'm wondering if something is happening there, although in the opening credits C and Rufus directly fight so it can't be. My wonder is if they used Rufus's voice actor to gently caress with you.

Okay I've now seen the reveal and all I can say is I was wrong to DOUBT MYSELF. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA Aaaahahahahahahaha.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Okay I've now seen the reveal and all I can say is I was wrong to DOUBT MYSELF. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA Aaaahahahahahahaha.

(C reveal spoilers) The biggest hint isn't even the voice, but the crafts. He's been doing those multiple stabs and then a slice through since CS2, and the leadup to the reveal with the crafts learned just before that makes it even more obvious, it's great.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That moment in C Chapter 2-where C/Rufus and Nadia talk after the torture threats (great scene as well, Nadia's VA was having a fun time but it's legit unnerving) is one of my favorites so far. It's clear that despite her seemingly being the more frivolous one of the two, Nadia actually might be more cruel and calculating than Swin, despite his serious front. And C/Rufus doesn't dismiss her threats out of hand, he just goes 'I don't have anything to fear, I have no intention of betraying you' and he legit sounds sincere despite his haughty, dramatic tone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Terper posted:

(C reveal spoilers) The biggest hint isn't even the voice, but the crafts. He's been doing those multiple stabs and then a slice through since CS2, and the leadup to the reveal with the crafts learned just before that makes it even more obvious, it's great.

True, but in my case I literally heard his first line in C route and went "that's Rufus." So I'm feeling rather vindicated and only wavered because of C fighting "Rufus" in the opening credits. I'm guessing that Rufus is the regrets of the Twilight made manifest or something.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Probably been mentioned before but it’s really beneficial to read the Three and Nine story beforehand (in the backstory section).

Plus it’s just a kicking rad story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Probably been mentioned before but it’s really beneficial to read the Three and Nine story beforehand (in the backstory section).

Plus it’s just a kicking rad story.

It is also missing pages apparently

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Patch is out on Steam, will probably come out on consoles Soon

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It is also missing pages apparently

Whoa really? I didn’t notice. There didn’t seem to be any gaps.

I’ll check the online version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1678878610696945664/retweets/with_comments

theres the missing pages and a few incorrect item descriptions but good to see theyre being quick about stuff

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In the modern era "move fast and fix things" is a nice change of mantra.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1678878610696945664/retweets/with_comments

theres the missing pages and a few incorrect item descriptions but good to see theyre being quick about stuff

I will rescind my dunks on NISA

That's a pretty quick turnaround compared to what I was expecting, my bad

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Boy am I glad I'm still back on Azure so I don't have to worry about this until well after all the patches.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

unimportantguy posted:

Boy am I glad I'm still back on Azure so I don't have to worry about this until well after all the patches.

Haha literally the same.
Also then I have to get to CS 3/4. So I'll play this in 2 years or so.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

unimportantguy posted:

i'm on Cold Steel III at basically the very beginning so i'm pretty much in the same boat lok

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Final Azure boss and overall thoughts on the Crossbell duology.

For part 3 of the final boss, I can’t stress enough how important it is to have someone prepping an art when the boss’s turn is up. Once he’s at 50% or lower, if there is no spell to block he’ll take two turns; the first will nullify any protection you have set up and the second will launch an attack that almost wipes you out. (On Nightmare I imagine it does wipe you out.)

I finally got him, but outside of rhythm games like IIDX, Azure’s final boss was the most frustrating experience I’ve had playing a video game in many years. Possibly decades. I wonder if Interdimensional Collapse ever comes back as a boss move or if that was just a one time “gently caress you” thrown in by the devs to amuse themselves.

As for the ending, everyone got a big emotional reunion with Kea but I was surprised at how abrupt it was overall. Seeing Erebonia quickly move in and occupy Crossbell is a real bummer especially given how arrogant the Erebonians have been portrayed as being thus far in the series. I assume the story will follow up on this at some point in the Cold Steel games.

Azure is the first Trails game I played on Hard difficulty for my first playthrough. For a person who is more interested in the characters and overall lore of the series than in figuring out the gimmick(s) needed to beat certain enemies, this was a huge mistake. I found Zero to be quite reasonable on Normal difficulty except for a couple battles at the end so I didn’t think Hard would be such a step up in Azure. Boy was I wrong. I really started getting bogged down in Chapter 4 with the **** jaeger***** battles and it only got worse from there. If/when I play these games again to see stuff I missed the first time, I’ll probably play them on Easy.

Overall, despite the complaints I’ve made here about some of the battles I loved these games and would give them both a 9 out of 10. I’ve managed to avoid major Cold Steel spoilers, but I do know that most of the Crossbell characters do show up in later games. Without exception, I’ll be happy to see them when they do.

Gonna break out the Vita soon for Cold Steel 1 and 2.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hepcat posted:

Gonna break out the Vita soon for Cold Steel 1 and 2.

S-sorry what? Do you not have any more modern systems to play them on?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
All four Cold Steel games are on Steam with some amazing QoL upgrades from Durante.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I bought Cold Steel 1 and 2 years ago for Vita figuring that Zero and Azure would eventually get localized. I have a Steam Deck, but unless people are telling me the Vita ports are unplayable I don't see a need to buy the games again.

Edit: I noticed that both games are on sale on Steam right now, but the last of four updates CS1 got dropped in November of 2018. Have there been substantial updates since then?

hepcat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 12, 2023

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I played the Vita versions when PS3 and Vita were the only existing versions, they're fine for what they are really but you're missing out on ~5k extra voice lines per game and Turbo if you choose to play it that way these days, along with general PC niceties like fast loads and higher resolutions. Your decision if you think that's meaningful.

If you choose to go with PC install this for some minor bugfixes and the like. (Disclaimer: I'm the author of that.)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

hepcat posted:

I bought Cold Steel 1 and 2 years ago for Vita figuring that Zero and Azure would eventually get localized. I have a Steam Deck, but unless people are telling me the Vita ports are unplayable I don't see a need to buy the games again.

Edit: I noticed that both games are on sale on Steam right now, but the last of four updates CS1 got dropped in November of 2018. Have there been substantial updates since then?

The first two Cold Steel games on PC or PS4 (NOT PS3) have a Turbo mode feature and 50% additional English-language voiced dialogue lines (about 5,000 extra lines).

(Reverie)

My current task is to complete the First Stratum. From what people have been saying, I should expect a nasty boss at the end. I have fifteen possible party members, and only a limited amount of resources at the moment, so I have a bit of decision paralysis. I suppose I should probably prioritize those characters who will be in the party in the "real world" - AKA - not Juna, Musse, Kurt, Claire. Does that sound like a good plan?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 12, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play it on vita. vita means life. do not listen to these cowards

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, i just figured you only had like a Switch for portable options but if you have a Deck there’s like literally no reason not to just play them on Steam since like others said, the improvements to the PC port extent to extra voiced dialogue on a game that tends to have weird gaps in its voiceovers even outside of Oddly Silent Rean and not just QoL.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

:hai:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

this

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I played CS1 and 2 on the Vita back when they came out. Would I do the same thing again in 2023?

Yes, yes I would. OLED, motherfuckers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
These are some very hosed up, depraved takes regarding what console to play Cold Steel on. Can’t condone, tbh.

Vita made a lot of people’s lives worse, were like none of you paying attention to the story?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
CS2 is a lot worse on Vita than CS1 was also, the phyre engine didn't do alpha effects very fast on that thing and CS2 had a LOT more

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh yeah the framerate shits itself whenever McBurn is on screen but that falls into the PC niceties for me. Those also ran really badly on PS3 from what I remember.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everytime I read/hear the name McBurn about a fire man character it makes me laugh

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just assume he named himself, which probably makes it even goofier but when you’re basically JRPG Saiyan Saga Vegeta who the gently caress is gonna call you out on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He’s the best