Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

disposablewords posted:

Would market saturation have had a serious role to play? By the time Xbox was really a thing, Japan already had at least Nintendo and Playstation as local console lines with major market share. (If I recall correctly, the Dreamcast was on its way out from a poor reception when Xbox was finally arriving.) And Japan is a market that is, to be very frank, a lot smaller than the US, so there's just less in absolute numbers for Xbox to have wedged its way into when it came to being someone's choice for their second or third console. Or first, even. Half-assing an already pretty poor situation obviously wouldn't have helped either.

Nintendo was irrelevant in Japan outside of Gameboy by the time Xbox launched. It was all Sony by then. Any reasons other than software are incorrect. People like to think of other reasons such as how Japanese refuse to buy foreign products, the size nonsense, internet gaming not being a factor, etc. The only reason Xbox failed was due to the lack of software, it had a relatively strong launch because of DOA3 and then nothing came out. If they had kept momentum up with lots of Japanese 3rd party titles that played best on the system and some exclusives, they could have done a good beachhead strategy. They would have lost to the PS2 regardless, but that's unavoidable, nothing was beating that.

In the 360 era it looked like they were really trying with Japan and the games and hardware started to sell. They got a lot of exclusive 3rd party titles early on like Idolmaster, DOA4, Rumble Roses, etc., 3rd party timed exclusives, and lots of multiplatform games. They also worked with lots of smaller developers and gave them favorable terms to publish on the 360. Sony blowing the PS3 launch also gave them some headwind. Whenever a big title launched the 360 was sold out for weeks and the software moved hundreds of thousands of copies, because of all this stores greatly expanded their Xbox section. Sure, it was still smaller than the competition, but you could see that the mindshare was starting to grow and people were considering it as something that's worth buying in Japan. They embraced their image of being the 'hardcore gamer' console, they were even using popular idol groups in their marketing materials to appeal to that demographic.

It all fell apart around when Kinetic launched, almost immediately after that all of the big Japanese exclusives dried up. They still got the niche titles that had an audience built in, but you can't survive on those alone. My guess is Don Mattrick saw that despite all the money Microsoft was pouring into Japan they were still in a far 3rd place and decided to turn off the tap and focus 100% on the west. The momentum just disappeared after that, 360 hardware sales slowed down tremendously. The One did so poorly they might as well not have bothered launching, and the poor performance means all of the Xbox displays got smaller and smaller and mostly consisted of used 360 games. Even if Japanese devs made an Xbox port of a game, they didn't bother releasing it in Japan. The Series is doing somewhat better than that but the One did so much damage to the brand that it's like starting from scratch.

If MS had a better vision of what they wanted to do with Japan then they could have carved out a loyal niche (they retreated at the worst possible time as PC gaming and streaming was starting to grow around the time of the One generation and many of those people were diehard 360 fans) and grown every generation and then who knows where we'd be today. As it is, they have to prove that they won't just give up on the region yet again, and they don't seem interested in securing any exclusive Japanese content. Right now most of their marketing efforts are sponsoring streamers to show off Game Pass, which is probably the best strategy as any mainstream success is unlikely at the moment.

In the end, it all comes down to software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There's a certain irony to MS retreating from Japan like that. The way things have gone in the West have shown that they understand that breaking into this market is going to require you to bleed. Maybe they figured that even if they won, it wouldn't be worth it, so they should focus on the more known quantity?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1677127612160962562

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So, no prison. That’s a weird Japanese form of parole basically

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

icantfindaname posted:

So, no prison. That’s a weird Japanese form of parole basically

Suspended sentences are very normal in Europe too.
Imagine not having to house and feed an inmate that's very unlikely to repeat their crimes.
Also they keep paying taxes and working.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah commonly used for domestic violence, robbery, and similar crime that doesn't meet the system's definition of important (ie, the drug trade and nothing else). It's like they're punished but instead continue to live as normal!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MechaCrash posted:

There's a certain irony to MS retreating from Japan like that. The way things have gone in the West have shown that they understand that breaking into this market is going to require you to bleed. Maybe they figured that even if they won, it wouldn't be worth it, so they should focus on the more known quantity?

I feel like it just goes along with Xbox executives making a lot of hilariously bad decisions from the Kinect onwards.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hell yeah

https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-of-america-workers-successfully-vote-to-form-a-union

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it just goes along with Xbox executives making a lot of hilariously bad decisions from the Kinect onwards.

Yeah, ironically as much as people parrot the Xbox too big myth, the Japanese Kinect launch did in fact suffer from many living spaces here being too small for an optimal setup and it absolutely bombed hard here. Even if that wasn’t a factor it had no chance though, Kinect was a social device for family and friends to play together with and the 360 was the closest thing from the family machine, they probably shouldn’t have even bothered launching it here. I assume Kinect doing well elsewhere and it being Mattrick’s primary strategy at the time was a factor in abandoning the Japanese market.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Those union info sonic the hedgehog TikToks ring more true every day

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

External Organs posted:

Those union info sonic the hedgehog TikToks ring more true every day

Is this the Irvine Office and the Burbank office, or just Irvine? If it's just Irvine, then the main Sonic people have not unionized 😔

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Studio posted:

Is this the Irvine Office and the Burbank office, or just Irvine? If it's just Irvine, then the main Sonic people have not unionized 😔

quick google search says both, according to IGN

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

quick google search says both, according to IGN

Yup! Confirmed with a friend too :slick:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Apparently Sega management were trying hard to gently caress with the vote too from the Union tweets so fuckin' A.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, ironically as much as people parrot the Xbox too big myth, the Japanese Kinect launch did in fact suffer from many living spaces here being too small for an optimal setup and it absolutely bombed hard here. Even if that wasn’t a factor it had no chance though, Kinect was a social device for family and friends to play together with and the 360 was the closest thing from the family machine, they probably shouldn’t have even bothered launching it here. I assume Kinect doing well elsewhere and it being Mattrick’s primary strategy at the time was a factor in abandoning the Japanese market.

I'm not surprised that trying to push poo poo no one wanted even when they were the market leader made them bomb hard in territories where they had only a tenuous grasp.

They really did want that Wii money so, so bad, but it's still amazing how invested they were on the Kinect. Some executive must have had the best time of his life flailing in front of a camera.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Did the Kinect do well?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh yeah, the Kinect did extremely well. By the time they discontinued it they'd sold over 30 million of them (according to Microsoft) and sold over 20m by the time the One launched with it bundled in. That's about a quarter of all 360's that ended up with a Kinect, discounting the ones that were bought by hobbyists to use in robotics projects.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 11, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Kinect did so well that Microsoft went all-in on them for the next generation, thinking that gimmick dance party games were going to be the future of home entertainment. You'd be forgiven for believing this in 2011 with the success of the Wii and Rock Band.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It wasn't just that, it was also the mistaken belief off the back of the early voice assistant rush that normal people want to talk to their consumer electronics which is where a lot of the focus was if you look back over how they talked about the XBO Kinect at reveal. Stuff like voice commands, automatic login based on facial recognition and voice chat without a headset were the big focuses. I don't even remember if they brought up any games that would use Kinect on XBO outside backwards compatible 360 games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kinect adventures is the best selling 360 game and kinect sports and dance central sold well but no other kinect game did that well and sales of the kinect did not boost sales of other 360 games. people bought a 360 for kinect, got the Kinect Games, and then did not buy the more game-y kinect games and did not buy any other 360 games. for some reason microsoft thought that making the one entirely about the kinect would work in this context.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not linking Cecilia D’Anastasio who broke the news but the FTC just lost their case against MS/ACTV. with the UK the only remaining hurdle the merger is pretty much a go.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Not linking Cecilia D’Anastasio who broke the news but the FTC just lost their case against MS/ACTV. with the UK the only remaining hurdle the merger is pretty much a go.

Tom Warren through The Verge has a story up now

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23779039/microsoft-activision-blizzard-ftc-trial-win

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

loving imbecile judges, the entire american bench is a dumpster fire.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This may be the wrong place to ask, but what the gently caress is up with all the ads I keep getting about a class action lawsuit against Valve/Steam? Is it just because they and GOG were the only digital distributors that actually got their poo poo together and don't have terrible stores?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I mean it was hard to watch the arguments presented by the FTC and think they were going to win anything. That said the hurdle to overcome in the UK is still huge, and their chance this ultimately goes through without something extremely unexpected happening seems small. I’m curious to see what the terms are if this is ultimately extended (I assume they would be heavily in favor of ATVI).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its hard to blame the judges in this case. the FTC's lawyers seemed like they had literally never heard of a video game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

And the judge seemed incredibly knowledgeable about what was going on. I guess maybe it sucks that the laws are what they are but nothing about this seems to be on the judge. It’s not like the FTC has a habit of winning court cases recently.

This seems like a much bigger deal. The CMA ultimately agreeing to some kind of remedy after denying the merger initially, from what I can tell, would be a most unexpected move.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1678795990113894403?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 11, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I don't think this will salvage MS's gaming woes. the more they buy... well, what happens if and when Satya Nadella is replaced and a less gaming friendly faction of MS comes to power?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

StratGoatCom posted:

I don't think this will salvage MS's gaming woes. the more they buy... well, what happens if and when Satya Nadella is replaced and a less gaming friendly faction of MS comes to power?

The games vertical is a lot of revenue for them even if it loses a bit of focus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is it profitable though?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

njsykora posted:

Is it profitable though?

If it isn't, it probably could be with some right-sizing

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

leper khan posted:

If it isn't, it probably could be with some right-sizing

I would imagine that owning King would help a LOT with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

microsoft has utterly terrible decision making and just buying call of duty and WoW will not fix that

Anno
May 10, 2017

Phil reiterated that Gamepass and Xbox were profitable like a month ago during his Giant Bomb interview. I don't think they even need this to be back on track - things seem to be getting there anyway - but it'll certainly help, and provide the big jump into mobile gaming they've been looking for.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'll always kind of wonder what kind of weird cool poo poo they could've made if they just took the Activision money and spent it on existing studios / spinning up new ones.

But that's not really their thing I guess.

Edit: sorry for the low content post, thought I was in the Xbox thread

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

njsykora posted:

Is it profitable though?

Yes, but not particularly great margins given what they put in, comparatively. Frankly rather precarious. Sooner or later, there will be a leadership or circumstances that force culling and there will be will be blood by the gallon in gaming when they get tired of sunk costs.

And don't give me gamepass, that model is cracking up in movies, I don't think MS will manage it in games.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Endorph posted:

microsoft has utterly terrible decision making and just buying call of duty and WoW will not fix that

lmao that out of all the studios Microsoft has acquired, the only one that has been able to put out a polished and well-received game afterwards is Double Fine

Anno
May 10, 2017

External Organs posted:

But that's not really their thing I guess.

I mean they're doing that, too. There's been significant hiring at a lot of their new studios over the last couple of years, new teams being formed, a combination of new IP and resurrecting older stuff. They've also done a number of publishing deals for games like AoE4, Contraband, Towerborne, ARA: History Untold...probably some stuff I'm missing. They've put a lot of money into expanding what they have, but obviously it's always fastest to expand by buying new stuff, too.

Pirate Jet posted:

lmao that out of all the studios Microsoft has acquired, the only one that has been able to put out a polished and well-received game afterwards is Double Fine

No one ever remembers that Obsidian put out two polished and very well received games last year.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 12, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pirate Jet posted:

Obsidian, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

People still play Minecraft.

But afterwards...hmm. Does Hi-fi Rush count?

Edit: oh yeah. Sea of Thieves. Grounded. Pentiment.