Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Apparently the book that is based on is called Five Children and It, which goes to show that budget cuts are everywhere these days.

Edit: I have to correct myself. The original book trilogy was called Five Children and It, the first one released in 1902. In 2012 a different author made a continuation novel called Four Children and It. So these cutbacks have lasted for more than a decade!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 11, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'd like to show this poster to a class of children and hear what they think. I don't think it'd be positive.

Fuckin' Mac & Me But Hairy. I bet this spent five years on the shelf before release.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Four and it kids wtf

Or is it "four and kids it"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Where is Russell Brand and Michael Caine

oh no

tell me Russell Brand isn't voicing that unholy thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kiimo posted:

oh no

Russel Brand is not voicing Godzilla.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

oh no

Russel Brand is the random guy in the hat, isn't he?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

kiimo posted:

oh no

Russell Brand is the guy on the poster with the hat and beard.

Michael Caine is in fact voicing the weird creature.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla: (sets fire to building)

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Godzilla: (sets fire to building)

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

When IT gets very loud, IT gets very loud indeed

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MrBling posted:

Russell Brand is the guy on the poster with the hat and beard.

Michael Caine is in fact voicing the weird creature.

That explains his involvement. Literally phoning his performance in via voice texts. Good on him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Godzilla prequel?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The premise is apparently Godzilla showing up in the very early postwar period (so, late 40s as opposed to 1954).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Poster says 戦後、日本。

Literally post war Japan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's technically a reboot meant to start a new continuity. The idea behind the title is that after the war, Japan is at "zero," and now they got a Godzilla pushing them into "minus"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
What in tarnation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah it's apparently not very interesting outside of the gimmick which loses its novelty less than an episode in.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/nathanwpyle/status/1678482363162976257?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

This is just a lame, overdone joke, I could go to 80% of the webcomics that have ever existed for that

This is The Fantastic Planet for people who say "adulting".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The premise is apparently Godzilla showing up in the very early postwar period (so, late 40s as opposed to 1954).

Specifically before the economic recovery that carried them through to the late 80s. The other half of the tagline says "From nothing, to a minus." If I had to wager a guess, it would probably be during the immediate post-war period of the American military administration and extreme poverty.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Both of these were posted without comment but they both made me want to comment in a similar way. Taking inspiration from some successful or even just cult succesfull thing, or homage of some past thing in the same franchise? Sure, cool, but both of these hit a pet peeve of mine.

Like as far as post apocalyptic/dystopian urban adventures go, you're what, the 10th Walking Dead spinoff? Why would you evoke Escape from New York's poster. Like why remind me of one of the best to ever do it, because all that's going to do is make me think "wow, this is done so shittily compared to [cool actual thing] why the gently caress am I even wasting time with this."

And as others have observed, it serves no purpose but to remind you of Escape from New York, because it's not like zombies knocked the Statue of Liberty's head off and dragged it into the city. That's not a thing in Escape from New York either, so this poster's pretty lazy in concept.

The Gundam poster, they're evoking the old 0079 movie posters, but those work because of their understated (I mean as understated as you can get for having a big mech on your poster) colors and how they're pretty isolating. These aren't the only ones like this from that time but they hit a vibe.

I dig the stillness of these and the looming mechs fading to space a lot, it sells that these folks stepping into the mechs is Real poo poo and the calm you see on the poster is about to die.

The modern one, like were they going for the same thing but someone said slap a flame on the front? The super stoic pose feels so out of place now because of seemingly being in mid-battle. Like ESPECIALLY if you've seen the previous posters it feels like it's trying way too hard and unfocused.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 12, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

I dig the stillness of these and the looming mechs fading to space a lot, it sells that these folks stepping into the mechs is Real poo poo and the calm you see on the poster is about to die.

The modern one, like were they going for the same thing but someone said slap a flame on the front? The super stoic pose feels so out of place now because of seemingly being in mid-battle. Like ESPECIALLY if you've seen the previous posters it feels like it's trying way too hard and unfocused.

The Requiem for Vengeance poster isn't the same thing. It's a Zeon pilot climbing out of the cockpit of a wrecked Zaku, with the Gundam, which presumably was the one who wrecked the Zaku, coming out of the flames at her. The composition is almost definitely intentionally referencing that old movie poster, but the intended effect is very different.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gripweed posted:

The Requiem for Vengeance poster isn't the same thing. It's a Zeon pilot climbing out of the cockpit of a wrecked Zaku, with the Gundam, which presumably was the one who wrecked the Zaku, coming out of the flames at her. The composition is almost definitely intentionally referencing that old movie poster, but the intended effect is very different.

I respect that, I just mean by referencing the old posters with the composition it's difficult to me to not to look at it in terms of what the old posters were doing. Like even she had a more dynamic kind of pose of her actually climbing out of it instead of just having the exact pose from the Gundam I poster but facing away it would be better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember this part of the book, it was kind of racist

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think he became Wonka when he was born and was named

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I think he became Wonka when he was born and was named

What do you call the chocolate mousse shadow of the second moon pie

We call that one Wonka

Can I be knows as Willie Wonka

You are Willie Wonka and your mother shall be a Sourcandyyna among us... We welcome you.

The ice cream unfolds

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

kiimo posted:

We call that one Wonka

You are Willie Wonka and your mother shall be a Sourcandyyna among us... We welcome you.

The ice cream unfolds

Excuse me the SNL sketch writers are meant to be on strike :mad:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

We call that one Wonka

The ice cream unfolds

The Wonkas have a gobstopper unknown to us, a gobstopper that will never stop.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Excuse me the SNL sketch writers are meant to be on strike :mad:

I know that's not a compliment but I shall take it as such nevertheless

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kiimo posted:

We call that one Wonka

The ice cream unfolds

In Britain, they ruled by land and sea, but in Loompahland we must cultivate chocolate power.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So if they make a third version of the original story is the kid's name gonna be Mike Streaming?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Mike Gamerwords

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duncan worchestershire

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

What in tarnation

Are all of these "Reborn/reincarnated as a ____" animes from the same creators or is it just the worst trend ever and other studios are trying to cash in?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's a trend, I assume sorta riffing on standard Isekai (I Was Reborn In A Fantasy World).

That or reruns of My Mother The Car started taking off in Japan, you never know.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Neo Rasa posted:

Both of these were posted without comment but they both made me want to comment in a similar way. Taking inspiration from some successful or even just cult succesfull thing, or homage of some past thing in the same franchise? Sure, cool, but both of these hit a pet peeve of mine.

Like as far as post apocalyptic/dystopian urban adventures go, you're what, the 10th Walking Dead spinoff? Why would you evoke Escape from New York's poster. Like why remind me of one of the best to ever do it, because all that's going to do is make me think "wow, this is done so shittily compared to [cool actual thing] why the gently caress am I even wasting time with this."

And as others have observed, it serves no purpose but to remind you of Escape from New York, because it's not like zombies knocked the Statue of Liberty's head off and dragged it into the city. That's not a thing in Escape from New York either, so this poster's pretty lazy in concept.

It sure was cool when someone finally delivered tho…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFcHUvyJ-k

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Speaking of, a direct sequel to Cloverfield is currently in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself