Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Bad quality but I found it in an Aliens FB group. :)

ITS READIN' RIGHT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Look into my eye... [really bad overdub that's not even Apone, just some white dude] FALL IN, PEEPUL

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Still thinkin’ about Aliens, as I finished painting all the models for the Fate of the Nostromo game :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Looks great. No way in hell I could do that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Somebody wake up Hicks.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

edogawa rando posted:

It was one of the Marines.

I know this is a minor thing, but gently caress me, this poo poo really gets up my nose.

You can tell that to Wierzbowski.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Also --

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Plan R posted:

You can tell that to Wierzbowski.

WEIRZBOWSKI?!?!?!?!

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

redshirt posted:

WEIRZBOWSKI?!?!?!?!

WHERE'S BASKI?!?!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I missed some good chats ITT.

Big up the Good Dad from last page for showing his kid the classics.

Big up the miniature painting, very well done.

I think I'd be Hudson; easily excitable and vulgar and maybe a bit arrogant,, but I disagree that he really falls apart when poo poo hits the fan. His end is pretty loving heroic.

And I'm glad to read that blurb about the new film not having anything to do with the Ridley Scott prequels.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The real failure is in the Colonial Marines not having a second way to get off the planet after the poo poo hit the fan.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

The real failure is in the Colonial Marines not having a second way to get off the planet after the poo poo hit the fan.

Well they did, it was docked with the Sulaco.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And why did that fail?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

And why did that fail?

It didn’t, the characters successfully used it to get off the planet.

If you’re saying they should have brought both dropships down to begin with, that kind of requires foreknowledge of the situation that it’s not reasonable for the characters to have. It looked like it was a downed transmitter, they flew down in one ship, kept it on standby, and once things went sideways it all escalated so quickly that it went from “everything’s fine” to “we need dropship #1 to save us” to “dropship #1 just crashed into the APC and took out our transmitter that we’d use to call dropship #2” in the span of like 5 minutes. :v:

It’s like expecting you to always have someone drive a second car behind you to everywhere you go just in case your first car spontaneously combusts. I don’t think the characters were THAT paranoid.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It didn’t, the characters successfully used it to get off the planet.

If you’re saying they should have brought both dropship a down to begin with, that kind of requires foreknowledge of the situation that it’s not reasonable for the characters to have. It looked like it was a downed transmitter, they flew down in one ship, kept it on standby, and once things went sideways it all escalated so quickly that it went from “everything’s fine” to “we need dropship #1 to save us” to “dropship #1 just crashed into the APC and took out our transmitter that we’d use to call dropship #2” in the span of like 5 minutes. :v:

It’s like expecting you to always have someone drive a second car behind you to everywhere you go just in case your first car spontaneously combusts. I don’t think the characters were THAT paranoid.

Maybe they should have had a tactical nuke on site.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Come to think of it, why didn't they have at least like one guy stay behind to look after the ship? Don't ships usually have a crew?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Colonial Marines thought it was a rescue mission.

There's some juicy colonists' daughters we have to rescue from their virginity!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't they have at least like one guy stay behind to look after the ship? Don't ships usually have a crew?

That was Spunkmeyer.

Jul 11, 2023
thinking about Not Working, weakness, conservatism, Me, and showing up to the war at 11:15pm on day 3113

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WELL THAT'S JUST GREAT!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If you consider the Colonial Marines Technical Manual as canon, I think the table of organization show that a platoon has two APCs, two dropships with pilots for each, and four squads.

But I think it talks about how they are spread thin and always understaffed, so Apone’s unit is actually half a platoon, with only one dropship pilot.

Although obviously Bishop can fly one too. But in the film they don’t believe Ripley’s story and figure they can get it done by putting everyone into a single APC and use one dropship.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrMojok posted:

If you consider the Colonial Marines Technical Manual as canon, I think the table of organization show that a platoon has two APCs, two dropships with pilots for each, and four squads.

But I think it talks about how they are spread thin and always understaffed, so Apone’s unit is actually half a platoon, with only one dropship pilot.

Although obviously Bishop can fly one too. But in the film they don’t believe Ripley’s story and figure they can get it done by putting everyone into a single APC and use one dropship.

I like the slight fact that they underestimated everything, and this led to their later defeat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

If you consider the Colonial Marines Technical Manual as canon

Yes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Not for nothing Burke probably thought it was a boom to have an understaffed vessel and a mission led by a lieutenant who graduated from OCS 30 minutes ago last in his class. Probably even pulled some strings to make it happen.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

MrMojok posted:

Ripley knew it was half-assed and when she looked at Burke and his half-shrug that confirmed it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

redshirt posted:

I like the slight fact that they underestimated everything, and this led to their later defeat.

Yeah it wasn't supposed to be aliens, it was supposed to be some dumb colonists who don't know how to fix their broken transmitter and a corpo rear end in a top hat is bringing a crazy lady along just to humor her

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not for nothing Burke probably thought it was a boom to have an understaffed vessel and a mission led by a lieutenant who graduated from OCS 30 minutes ago last in his class. Probably even pulled some strings to make it happen.

Boon, but yes, it was that other thing later.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Beachcomber posted:

It's in the book!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

No BOOM BOOM in the Reactor Facility!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw we dust off, nuke it from orbit, to be sure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

According to the last chapter of the Technical Manual and the Weyland Yutani Report, that’s exactly what happened.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to think I've been trained to deal with future Exo-situations, as they arise....

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

redshirt posted:

How did that Alien find the drop ship?

Why did the ship have its hatch open in an hostile environment and without close guard?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Fish of hemp posted:

Why did the ship have its hatch open in an hostile environment and without close guard?

They’d been eating too much cornbread

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Spunkmeier was supposed to close that hatch, and he did, but when he was outside taking a whizz or performing maintenance or whatever he was doing with the hatch open, a roving xeno went inside.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish of hemp posted:

It wasn’t a hostile environment, the Marines had secured the area.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

In the pipe, 5 by 5.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Xenomrph posted:

"The area is secure Ripley"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Still thinkin’ about Aliens, as I finished painting all the models for the Fate of the Nostromo game :)

These are fabulous but....where's Jonesy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Beachcomber posted:

an accurate typo considering what happened when they blatantly disregarded their orders not to shoot aliens.

i unironically love how in the extended fiction the xeno is just a constant rake gag for The Company.

"okay the last eight times we tried to monetize the monsters as a bioweapon it ate everybody and destroyed the research compound. but me, i got the vision to make this happen. i have my mba and a weird looking future tie"