Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly i think atelier lost a ton in the shift to not having time limits. i know it bugs some people but i think its fine for a game to not be for everyone, and i think they added a ton to the sense of growth, trial, and growth. without them success is basically inevitable and all content will be seen. with them theres the sense that you are actually fumbling slightly and finding out how to succeed, which fits with the growing youth theme. i like the mysterious and ryza games well enough but they lack the spark i got from arland and dusk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
loving hate wiegraf. horrible fight

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Endorph posted:

honestly i think atelier lost a ton in the shift to not having time limits. i know it bugs some people but i think its fine for a game to not be for everyone, and i think they added a ton to the sense of growth, trial, and growth. without them success is basically inevitable and all content will be seen. with them theres the sense that you are actually fumbling slightly and finding out how to succeed, which fits with the growing youth theme. i like the mysterious and ryza games well enough but they lack the spark i got from arland and dusk.

I’m torn between wanting to respect the unique design of the earlier games, that theming, etc…and just plain not enjoying the tension. I go to Atelier for cosiness above all else and the tension worked directly to oppose that.

Which is an interesting contrast with Dragon Star Varnir which has a time limit too, but I think I actually like it there? The tone is horror, dark magic, and the body horror of an alien parasite growing in you that will burst out from the inside, and that, well, the time limit tension adds to the horror.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i love how hard potionomics went on the time limits, sure sure this may look like a nice chill game but no this is a stressful alchemy business simulator and you are going to feel like you are doing poo poo wrong constantly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
seriously like. why is wiegraf like this. why are the previous several maps absolutely no trouble at all and then this one is literally just, near impossible. what the gently caress.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

seriously like. why is wiegraf like this. why are the previous several maps absolutely no trouble at all and then this one is literally just, near impossible. what the gently caress.

Yeah, it's a really badly designed fight.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think what absolutely fucks me up about it isn't even how hard it is. like it's hard, it is way too bullshit hard, it is way too maddeningly bullshit hard for something you'd be permanently stuck in if you didn't keep an extra save file. but also it has insanely long unskippable dialog and a second phase that is even more trying of your patience, after the first phase that is already potentially impossible if you didn't have some way to auto mitigate or heal ramza specifically. how did any of that get okayed. it's like the perfect combination of awful things to completely ruin the game for someone for absolutely no reason

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

really wonder if an fft remaster would be another port of wotl with new sprites or they'd do the tactics ogre thing and wholly rebalance the game again. would be neat if they did a thing where you can choose between wotl and some weird new wotl redux thing, i'd play a version of wotl i can play in japanese and also not have the awful slowdown poo poo with cause nobody made a fix for the jp version that actually works

It's still insane the slowdown was something they put in purposefully.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Favorite Wiegraf duel fact: if you wear the robe that makes you immune to holy damage Wiegraf will never use his bullshit sword skills. His sword skills do not deal holy damage.

Absolutely miserable fight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh, and the following battle can potentially end in your loss before you can take an action.

Fun times in chapter 3.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Favorite Wiegraf duel fact: if you wear the robe that makes you immune to holy damage Wiegraf will never use his bullshit sword skills. His sword skills do not deal holy damage.

Absolutely miserable fight.

As a kid, it was Dorter or whatever its called that hosed me up. The one with the two towers and the archers and the priest was it? Kid me was dumb and that crushed me over and over.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Goons, I love a good dungeon. In the spirit of that, what are your favorite dungeons of all time?

Giruvegan in FFXII, from the Water Steps to the very reaches of the Great Crystal. Yes, the no map gimmick is frustrating but the layout, setting and levels of secrets therein is top notch.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 12, 2023

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Goons, I love a good dungeon. In the spirit of that, what are your favorite dungeons of all time?

ku'lero temple from crosscode. i'm a fan of maximalist game design, and ku'lero is simply the most

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escha & Logy is my favorite Atelier game. I think other games do some things better but I think it does pretty much everything good and it has what is probably the most accessible time limit in that it is there and something to consider but you have a ton of spare time and the game gives you free time and do stuff you may have missed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tried the trick where you just make ramza yell at himself over and over and it was riskier since i didnt have the specific robe but i managed an attempt where he didnt land two consecutive magic criticals on ramza and then i nuked him with balls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i was always curious about it since i generally saw it brought up in discussion that the scary demon portal rock stuff kinda overrides all the game's more political outlines. i think what actually gets me about those is that like, nah the magic demon rocks are fine, i'm cool with keeping those, it's not really interrupting a political masterpiece. but the whole thing of replacing actual characters with big cackling evil demon guys who don't possess any actual relation or dynamic with your cast that they previously possessed, having all those personality traits replaced with "did you know that humanity is dumb... and it needs religion to trick it!" is kinda weak. demon wiegraf is just kinda a much less climactic fight for it, him not really being the same character just kinda makes it way less emotionally charged. which is funny because wiegraf already feels pretty underwritten, but at least i could kinda feel for what dynamic there was going on between him and ramza before. at the end he's so not a character that the only thing i can feel about him is drat bro, your boss fight sucks

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

that's only the second worst fight in the game, too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah the worst fight comes immediately after it :sickos:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

also the STD joke is godawful, like so bad I want to patch the game to fix it)

I have no idea why the localisers did that, it's so rude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NISA loved inserting dumb jokes like that back then, it sucked

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

The Colonel posted:

anyway i was always curious about it since i generally saw it brought up in discussion that the scary demon portal rock stuff kinda overrides all the game's more political outlines. i think what actually gets me about those is that like, nah the magic demon rocks are fine, i'm cool with keeping those, it's not really interrupting a political masterpiece. but the whole thing of replacing actual characters with big cackling evil demon guys who don't possess any actual relation or dynamic with your cast that they previously possessed, having all those personality traits replaced with "did you know that humanity is dumb... and it needs religion to trick it!" is kinda weak. demon wiegraf is just kinda a much less climactic fight for it, him not really being the same character just kinda makes it way less emotionally charged. which is funny because wiegraf already feels pretty underwritten, but at least i could kinda feel for what dynamic there was going on between him and ramza before. at the end he's so not a character that the only thing i can feel about him is drat bro, your boss fight sucks

With Weigraf I can kind of see them trying to have the magic rocks represent the endpoint of the corruption of power? Taking up the rock represents the point where you just stop caring completely and just start the pure pursuit of power, serving as the fourth point on Weigraf's trajectory through that arc. (Sand Rat Cellar, after Miluda's death, with the Church, magic rock.) So the scene at the end of chapter 3 where someone uses a rock without turning into a demon is because she wanted power but not for the sake of power alone, and one character pursuing power but never taking up a rock represents him never entirely losing his ideals.

...now that I'm writing that out, I think that might actually really be what they were going for? Those last two things feel like a decently convincing case to me. It's definitely clumsy, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

NISA loved inserting dumb jokes like that back then, it sucked

I genuinely think it is because of Working Designs. It's in the exact right time frame for (especially for RPG translators) that style of translation to still have a hold and "Esty Dee" is exactly the kind of joke WD would make.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don’t know how close the translation for TitS is but it’s pretty obvious the translators got to have fun with the text for if you check chests again, since there’s some Western-only references and jokes in those (ie a chest saying I AM ERROR).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/sting_pr/status/1679007687294500864

hd port of riviera: the promised land teased

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The chests are all identical "this chest is empty" messages in Japanese iirc. The translators just noticed that they were all technically different text strings and decided to have fun with it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

The chests are all identical "this chest is empty" messages in Japanese iirc. The translators just noticed that they were all technically different text strings and decided to have fun with it.

I’m glad. Translators having fun when it’s not detrimental to the work is good poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can see the ideas of how wiegraf's arc leads along there and there's an idea to it that could be interesting, but unfortunately wiegraf is just kinda too boring in actual execution to make any of it work. kind of a problem that, all of the corpse brigade had.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Arivia posted:

I’m glad. Translators having fun when it’s not detrimental to the work is good poo poo.

The feature is in SC, 3rd, Zero and Azure too. Sadly by the time of the Cold Steel games it's gone, with the brief exception of trial chests in Cold Steel 2 if you don't have the right party with you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

My favorite sting game I am loving stoked

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I Don’t blame translators for not putting in extra work for a bunch of additional lines that weren’t in the original game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I Don’t blame translators for not putting in extra work for a bunch of additional lines that weren’t in the original game.

It's not that they stopped because the translators didn't want to put in extra work, but because chests became uninteractable after you've opened them starting in Cold Steel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the sky games had the chests set up like that but they werent designed like that in the crossbell and erebonia games at all, especially in the latter's case

and, tbh, the jokes in the crossbell games suck and are trying way too hard. i do not want lame police brutality jokes. the sky jokes were decently clever and were clearly dicking around, and the ones at the end of sky 3 were actually sweet. its fine for a feature to go out on a high note instead of forcing it past its expiration date.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm decently certain the police brutality jokes were taken out of the official release? the Geofront team were like "Yeah we regret them"

e: A lot of the chest jokes in Crossbell weren't actually made by the team itself, they opened a form and let people send in their own and that was probably the source of a few of 'em

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 12, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I'm decently certain the police brutality jokes were taken out of the official release? the Geofront team were like "Yeah we regret them"
the fact that they were there in the first place shows they were trying too hard

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still insane the slowdown was something they put in purposefully.

Wait, it was on purpose!?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Did HD yggdra union ever come out outside of japan? If not, the chances don't seem great for this one either

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is the one I sent in

neato

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Andrast posted:

Wait, it was on purpose!?

Yeah, for whatever reason the animations are intentionally capped at 15 fps.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason the animations are intentionally capped at 15 fps.

its because sony demanded you not spin umds too fast and loading the fun effects like that...spun the umds really fast. so to not make soy angry they just deliberately slowed them down and it sucks rear end lol.

e: lol im keeping that typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's a bunch of sweet ones where the Geofront team talks about how grateful they are at the end of Azure, too, I wouldn't cut those for the world.