Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Oh whoops, I missed that because they didn't have the stuff that they usually ended chapters with and I just assumed without checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if it's the same group they might have a different translator/editor I guess.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Clarste posted:

Even if it's the same group they might have a different translator/editor I guess.
The real test case here will be Betty.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/theoasg/status/1677428557419540482?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Hard-covered depression…

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Nagata Kabi's work is very good, and she's one of the few autobio authors I've read, but it's kind of a bummer to check the summaries for the rest of her works and notice that drat, things haven't gotten any better for her, huh :smith:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

SexyBlindfold posted:

Nagata Kabi's work is very good, and she's one of the few autobio authors I've read, but it's kind of a bummer to check the summaries for the rest of her works and notice that drat, things haven't gotten any better for her, huh :smith:

Her next work coming out in English is titled something like "My Pancreas Broke, But My Life Got Better" so... let's call that a win..?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

:same:

I recall reading the sequel and it was about her alcoholism getting worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's been a while since i've read her works but the most recent one from a couple years ago "Stray Warrior" ended with a last chapter titled something like "I'm happy now".

Don't know if things have changed since but I think ultimately her works felt very hopeful by the time I got through all of them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SexyBlindfold posted:

she just like me fr

two more chapters of this dropped

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's been a while since i've read her works but the most recent one from a couple years ago "Stray Warrior" ended with a last chapter titled something like "I'm happy now".

Don't know if things have changed since but I think ultimately her works felt very hopeful by the time I got through all of them.

That's good to hear. I feel like I relate way too much to a lot of the themes in the manga and it's hard reading someone else exp it since I feel like it reflects back on to me :shobon:

I'll check out the 3rd book now when I get the chance.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I found an interesting book about the history of yuri anime and manga. I’d get it but I’ve got like three nonfiction books I need to read first.

I bought the first two books of Our Dreams at Dusk and ordered the the last two. I’m a bit disappointed that it’s only four volumes—it seems like a series that could go on as long as it likes

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I found an interesting book about the history of yuri anime and manga. I’d get it but I’ve got like three nonfiction books I need to read first.

I bought the first two books of Our Dreams at Dusk and ordered the the last two. I’m a bit disappointed that it’s only four volumes—it seems like a series that could go on as long as it likes

If you like Our Dreams at Dusk, I'd sincerely recommend like, anything else that Kamatani has created-- Hiraeth is their most recent work, but even going way back to Nabari no Ou, it's one of the very few manga I can remember/name off the top of my head with a main cast member who's intersex, and although it's about ninjas, it's also just a brilliant series about its characters. Shounen Note has also started its official translation run! Of course, Our Dreams at Dusk is the most LGBT-focused of their series, but I think in all of them there's a lot of heart and also...in a way, the same sort of threads that run through Our Dreams at Dusk.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

:same:

I liked the Our Dreams series and they have a newer series about an MC finding a new purpose in life after her friend's death and going on a journey with some guardians.

I'm always on the look out for manga series featuring asexuality that isn't like really depressing too and I'm glad I read it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i miss school zone

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Snooze Cruise posted:

i miss school zone

I just read all of School Zone (Girls) for the first time like, last week, and had no idea of the impending hiatus :(

Was having such a good time, too. The way it goes from decent gag manga to Gay Pathos kinda caught me off guard like getting sucker punched in the night. Loved it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i should go back and read school zone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i miss school zone

Me too

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Why you gotta call me outin with this title?

Unrelated:

I've seen this character a lot recently. What are they from?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ranzear posted:

Unrelated:

The Oshi no Ko anime

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

MagusDraco posted:

The Oshi no Ko anime
I've even watched the opening on yt and never placed it. Puttin' it in the backlog.

sinky posted:

It's also a oneshot, as is often the case :negative:
I should look ahead before realizing the same :negative:

I can offer My New Friend Wasn't What I Expected as similar though. The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All came up in the same vein but didn't hook me quite yet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ranzear posted:

I can offer My New Friend Wasn't What I Expected as similar though. The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All came up in the same vein but didn't hook me quite yet.

i would def say the former is better despite it being something most people would probably say was inspired by the latter. i just think author is more suited to that type of work in a way that brings it a bit more charm while arai sumiko feels like they stumble into a hit and are just playing it v safe with it.

also they should go back to working on this because it was much more kino

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i would def say the former is better despite it being something most people would probably say was inspired by the latter.

Yes, that was the exact context.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I wanna take a moment to talk about the one-person student project yuri mecha anime Vapor Trail and Volicia of Pluto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzke7w7a-IU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k-r8bnW0Qg
The animation's as jank and compromised as you'd expect based on that description, but the strong direction & creative vision create an effective sense of tone and emotion that really stuck with me. Volicia in particular is insanely ambitious for something a 23-year old created over a single year and left more of an impact on me than most professionally produced yuri anime - like the first scene is some girls doing track & field set to the vast, desolate aesthetics of Armored Core 4 and it's one of the wildest things I've seen.
The crator, AsH, is currently running a crowdfunding campaign for a sequel that's at 85% funded; It's a japanese crowdfunding site but it accepts PayPal and is easy enough to navigate, I tossed in 20 euros myself 'cause I'd really like to see that too. They're a staggeringly capable creator already and it's exciting to think of what they could create with more experience

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ranzear posted:

I've even watched the opening on yt and never placed it. Puttin' it in the backlog.

Thanks, I read the 1st one since I liked the 2nd series and the overall themes. I relate to the MC since there are a lot of cute clothes but nothing really suits me IRL.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i would def say the former is better despite it being something most people would probably say was inspired by the latter. i just think author is more suited to that type of work in a way that brings it a bit more charm while arai sumiko feels like they stumble into a hit and are just playing it v safe with it.

also they should go back to working on this because it was much more kino

I read that manga too mostly the only thing I wanted would be longer chapters of her works since 2-4 pages feel really short when I read all of them at once.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ranzear posted:

Guy She Was Interested In is cute, but it's definitely skewed toward "Person who listened to a lot of alt, punk, and grunge in 1994".

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Neito posted:

Guy She Was Interested In is cute, but it's definitely skewed toward "Person who listened to a lot of alt, punk, and grunge in 1994".
having specific interests is good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

Unrelated:

As other's said, it's Ai Hoshino from Oshi no Ko, though the av comes from the official music video for the full version of the shows OP. It's a good listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRtdQ81jPUQ

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Nihilarian posted:

having specific interests is good

The inexorable passage of time is bad, growing old is bad, feeling old is bad, an anime schoolgirl going "Green Day? who in this school would listen to that old-timey music?" is bad

But seriously, I really enjoy the vibes and the art (particularly the faces) from Guy Wasn't A Guy, but I feel like the author has started to exhaust the plot beats that could be delivered in its very short format (namely cute character moments but not much in the way of plot progression) and now that the story's trying to do a proper arc it's been giving the impression of the pace going glacial because it has to be broken down into 4-6 pages installments.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

green day is my favorite dad rock band

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad i listen to good music like pavement and the mountain goats. where is the yuri where they listen to the moutain goats, huh!? huh?!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pretty sure Melissa Etheridge is a fixed requirement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

The inexorable passage of time is bad, growing old is bad, feeling old is bad, an anime schoolgirl going "Green Day? who in this school would listen to that old-timey music?" is bad

But seriously, I really enjoy the vibes and the art (particularly the faces) from Guy Wasn't A Guy, but I feel like the author has started to exhaust the plot beats that could be delivered in its very short format (namely cute character moments but not much in the way of plot progression) and now that the story's trying to do a proper arc it's been giving the impression of the pace going glacial because it has to be broken down into 4-6 pages installments.
itd be neat if the artist got an actual serialization or just shifted to a web manga format with 30 page chapters a month but also i get, why they dont wanna do that

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
New Witch's Servant with the least surprising revelation, and then a big surprise.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I finished Our Dreams at Dusk. I teared up at the ending, which is about the closest I get to crying most of the time.

Good manga

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

New Witch's Servant with the least surprising revelation, and then a big surprise.
...I am actually kind of worried about Eric here, even if this doesn't seem like the kind of story that would kill off established characters.

Though it's somewhat hilarious that Regina accomplished this by casting Gun.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Clearly another long-lost brother who changed their last name.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MMO lesbians. Yodokawa continues to be GOAT.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

this ones kino

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Otherside Picnic LN volume 8: They gently caress. Oh, and confess their love for each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm really appreciating the relatively recent trend of seeing mmos in manga that're obviously ffxiv with the serial numbers filed off