Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Obscuring the lyrics in the music is a weird choice. It's not like it's Big Endwalker Spoilers but it makes it sound muddy

I think the themes genuinely aren't finished yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is there a fanfest thread somewhere? I feel like it'd be cool to at least grab food together or something

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Dareon posted:

which is amazing because I can't decide whether Zenos or Fandaniel playing Gold Saucer games would be more hilarious.

"My greatest desire is the death of this star... and myself. Life is a meaningless series of random events, much like The Slice Is Right."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Firebert posted:

The only Hildi storyline I like is Heavensward because it is cute :shobon:

Oddly enough I thought the HW one was a bit of a let down and was kinda holding on for dear life to its connection to the whole Vivi thing.

I really think the Scholastic Questline is the better storyline involving Hildibrand adjacent characters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oddly enough I thought the HW one was a bit of a let down and was kinda holding on for dear life to its connection to the whole Vivi thing.

I really think the Scholastic Questline is the better storyline involving Hildibrand adjacent characters.

I've heard that the original idea was to do a different style of 'no/low-combat comedy questline' each expansion, and the Scholasticate was supposed to be HW's equivalent of Hildibrand until they got so many 'where's Hildibrand' messages that they felt like they had to. I think I believe that because HW Hildibrand feels so much cheaper than his other questlines: there's no combat and much fewer scenes of that level of physicality, almost like they didn't actually have any resources allocated to it.

And honestly, I wish it was what they did, not just because the Scholasticate was way more fun, but because I just want to see them do more diverse types of comedy rather than just sticking to an extremely Japanese style of slapstick that I honestly don't think I can ever find funny in this medium. Good physical comedy for me is defined by basically really good stuntwork and human reactions; by nature that's just not there in an animated medium, so at best Hildibrand feels like a shallow retelling of a story by someone who can't quite capture what they thought was funny when they first saw it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Stb Hildy wasn't bad but EW Hildy was worth it all, every bit. It's perfect.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Good physical comedy for me is defined by basically really good stuntwork and human reactions; by nature that's just not there in an animated medium,

The straight-outta-GMod expression and pose stretching they do to sell Hildibrand is outright heroic and I wish we got some of the facial stuff as emotes. :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibblebibble posted:

Stb Hildy wasn't bad but EW Hildy was worth it all, every bit. It's perfect.

EW Hildy has been a highlight for Brandihild, but I honestly prefer SB Hildy. Because there actually is something I really like when Hildy stories do, and that's telling really 'low' stories focused on parts of the setting usually beneath our notice. SB Hildy used that to do a lot of Hingashi worldbuilding that I really appreciated.

Doomykins posted:

The straight-outta-GMod expression and pose stretching they do to sell Hildibrand is outright heroic and I wish we got some of the facial stuff as emotes. :allears:

I respect how much they stretched the posing and expressions, and I like that it served as a testing bed for the more complex animations we'd see later on, but that doesn't really mean I find it funny. Granted, I found very few GMod animations funny, too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can agree that the Scholasticate was better than HW Hildy. They were both anime as gently caress, but in the Scholasticate I could instantly tell that the clumsy bookworm girl was sweet on the protagonist and immediately went "Oh gently caress, it's a high school anime" where Hildy's slapstick, social ineptitude, and sudden cuts between serious powerups and collapsed old folks evoked a class of anime I lost interest in during my viewing of Excel Saga.

Wait, I just realized why I made the wrong call back in ARR Hildy. I correctly guessed that the bald guy that lost his sword would instantly get his hair back, but I thought it would be an afro because of Excel Saga and Yakitate! JaPan, which have similar slapstick comedy and prominently feature afros.

Stormblood Hildy was better, more firmly anchored in the region's lore and culture. Although I do think they missed a trick by not having us arrive in the Steppe expecting to be greeted as Khagan only to find they'd held another Nadaam that was instantly won by an outsider. Cut to a pair of gentlemanly legs sticking out of an ovoo.

Doomykins posted:

I read that they use Hildibrand as a test bed for their animators to flex their muscles, and then use the experience in the next expansion. I guessed that the Wolf Burglar carrying Hildy in SB would pave the way for one fully-animated character carrying another, and we did in fact get Runar excitedly waving around a bemused Y'shtola. I'm not sure if they were actually trying to work that out or if I just got a lucky guess for something they already had in place. Nanamo sitting on Raubahn's shoulder was already a thing, for instance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

EW Hildy gave us a taste of playable godhood, can't really complain.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like if EW Hildy is practice for anything, it's for more acrobatics from the WoL

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Conspiracy theory time:

They’re gonna do Stormblood 2, and split the zones between everything else in Hingashi and Mercydia

I'd rather have Meracydia be a whole expac and not get the Garlemald treatment. That said I'd love to finally enter Hingashi proper and let my freebie teleport to Kugane continue to be relevant.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibblebibble posted:

EW Hildy gave us a taste of playable godhood, can't really complain.

That's a sort of 'physical comedy' that I think they can do quite well, and I respect the attempt on that one, even if I think it fell short in execution. I think they did a really poor job of selling the fantasy of playing Godbert, they really should've ramped things up so that no non-major enemy can even handle one attack. And his movement should've really run with the fact Godbert has two speeds: 'walking slowly and ominously' and 'land speed record'.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it was the most common theory ar the time. What with FFIV existing, it was kind of inevitable.

Some of us had been waiting to finally go to the moon since back in HW when we saw cutscenes there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

super sweet best pal posted:

Some of us had been waiting to finally go to the moon since back in HW when we saw cutscenes there.

"Going to the moon will be a 7.0 thing." - YoshiP at the ShB reveal event, 2018, after he'd been getting questions about it from a minor group in the playerbase for years.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I want to go to an expansive FF4 style underworld for an expac. There's Gelmorra as a forgotten plot hook.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

On the one hand I do feel that we missed out on an expansion tour and takedown of the traditional evil mechanical empire in a FF game, on the other hand we did get to fight them and their cool robots a lot, on the other other hand the new threats really want to be fresh and interesting.

Garlemald collapsing is a fine story development but I really wanted to be the cause.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

EW Hildy is great purely from all the animators the WoL gets in it from directly participating and I can only imagine it as a form of trauma healing after ShB and EW. Seeing the WoL spike the bomb down at Hildibrand made me realize this poo poo was gonna be good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

super sweet best pal posted:

I want to go to an expansive FF4 style underworld for an expac. There's Gelmorra as a forgotten plot hook.

I still think Gelmorra is prime material for a variant dungeon. Aesthetically it doesn't feel like it can carry a particularly large part of an expansion, but between the Duskwight, the Elementals, possibly Amdapor, and Gelmorran history itself, it's got great material for a lot of separate plot threads that'd also probably be devalued by being able to only talk about one of them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 12, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doomykins posted:

On the one hand I do feel that we missed out on an expansion tour and takedown of the traditional evil mechanical empire in a FF game, on the other hand we did get to fight them and their cool robots a lot, on the other other hand the new threats really want to be fresh and interesting.

Garlemald collapsing is a fine story development but I really wanted to be the cause.

I mean you were. Both in inspiring Zenos who wouldn't be doing anything if it wasn't for you and for unshackling Fandaniel by killing all his bosses. And if you don't think that really counts I highly doubt the garlean downfall would be as...thorough as it is now if it was us invading an otherwise unified Garlemald.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Of course, but idiot that I am I wanted an entire gauntlet of dismantling it one battalion, power base and huge intimidating fortress at a time. :D Perhaps that is more of a Fire Emblem setup.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you should play verminion

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The NA Fanfest schedule has been posted.

Note that there will be a livestream of the presentations and panels, but the piano performance on Friday and the The Primals concert on Saturday won't be streamed.

e: my freakin' bad I should've checked the lodestone too which confirms that it'll be streamed

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/434573228d3df053d6d65819bb2a842c14f994d4

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 12, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Will the livestreams later be vods? I mean, technically be on the beach with nothing to do during Fanfest but I like to actually swim in the ocean when I’m on a beach vacation.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think so? the 2018-19 vods are still up on twitch so I don't see why not. the only recordings you can't access are the first two sets of fanfests because those were paid only streams.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Also, the next Letter from the Producer LIVE is set for July 29, 10:00 AM PDT.

Right now, the only things listed that it will cover are Patch 6.5 Part 1, and Miscellaneous Updates.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Will the livestreams later be vods? I mean, technically be on the beach with nothing to do during Fanfest but I like to actually swim in the ocean when I’m on a beach vacation.
They always have been, though there have been a few growing pains.
Their Twitch archives go back to the beginning of ARR, though you'll have to do some archaeology and a lot of them are labeled in Japanese.

Vitamean posted:

I think so? the 2018-19 vods are still up on twitch so I don't see why not. the only recordings you can't access are the first two sets of fanfests because those were paid only streams.
They actually did put those up for free! But on different channels - here's Las Vegas from Oct. 18, 2014, and here's London from Oct. 29, 2014!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A mere two weeks until yoship walks out in a weird al concert tee, baffling thousands

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Qwertycoatl posted:

Obscuring the lyrics in the music is a weird choice. It's not like it's Big Endwalker Spoilers but it makes it sound muddy

When that trailer was first shown I was so drat crestfallen. The music didn't sound right at all, and I was intensly afraid I was going to hate this new direction for it.

Then the real one drops and it's got ALL of the expansions themes and I first hear the notes of ~Song of Hope~ and I learned never to doubt Soken and his team ever again.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 12, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Doomykins posted:

I understand why people are disappointed but I also understand why they handled things in that area as they did. Us going to an "unspoiled" Garlemald and loving poo poo up and bringing about the downfall personally would feel a little too much like coming in as conquerors and I think that's what they were trying to avoid.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I understand why people are disappointed but I also understand why they handled things in that area as they did. Us going to an "unspoiled" Garlemald and loving poo poo up and bringing about the downfall personally would feel a little too much like coming in as conquerors and I think that's what they were trying to avoid.

Yes but perhaps you've heard of "start poo poo, get hit" :black101: ... But I understand! Hmm. You could use the "tower to the moon/unleash Zodiark" plot as us raiding Garlemald to stop that poo poo and liberating the citizens as their government becomes increasingly unhinged.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 12, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Countblanc posted:

A mere two weeks until yoship walks out in a weird al concert tee, baffling thousands

Bard is already in the game!!!!!!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

He comes out in a Sesame Street shirt, we get the Puppeteer class that was hinted at in the 6.3 dungeon and our mentor is the guy who was executed for simping the demon queens and making minions of them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

It also I think reflects how these things usually go in FF games.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Countblanc posted:

I started riffing on the really old Weird Al songs and got as far as "Hoary Boulder has lifted too much stuff and has a hernia" before hitting "Y'shtola starts using the upscaled lala Dulia-Chai skeleton" and realizing someone's probably modded that as a fetish.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Countblanc posted:

New equipment to be added to the game:

-allen wrenches
-gerbil feeders
-toilet seats
-electric heaters
-trash compactors
-juice extractor
-shower rods
-water meters
-walkie-talkies
-copper wires
-safety goggles
-radial tires
-BB pellets
-rubber mallets
-fans
-dehumidifiers
-picture hangers
-paper cutters
-waffle irons
-window shutters
-paint removers
-window louvres
-masking tape
-plastic gutters
-kitchen faucets
-folding tables
-weather stripping
-jumper cables
-hooks and tackle
-grout
-spackle
-power foggers
-spoons
-ladles
-]esticides for fumigation
-high-performance lubrication
-metal roofing
-water proofing
-multi-purpose insulation
-air compressors
-brass connectors
-wrecking chisels
-smoke detectors
-tire guages
-hamster cages
-thermostats
-bug deflectors
-trailer hitch demagnetizers
-automatic circumcisers
-tennis rackets
-angle brackets
-Duracells
-Energizers
-soffit panels
-circuit brakers
-vacuum cleaners
-coffee makers
-calculators
-generators
-matching salt and pepper shakers

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Looking forward to the new Scouting class, SPT, that throws spatulas and that's all

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Qwertycoatl posted:

I feel like if EW Hildy is practice for anything, it's for more acrobatics from the WoL

Yeah the WoL rarely does stuff in cutscenes because as a customizable PC they can drastically vary in size and even animation skeleton. The fact that they're testing to have them do stuff in thr DW Hildebrand cutscenes means we're probably going to see some stuff done later.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah the WoL rarely does stuff in cutscenes because as a customizable PC they can drastically vary in size and even animation skeleton. The fact that they're testing to have them do stuff in thr DW Hildebrand cutscenes means we're probably going to see some stuff done later.

Making us less of a passive observer in cutscenes would be so nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Waffleman_ posted:

New equipment to be added to the game:

-allen wrenches
-gerbil feeders
-toilet seats
-electric heaters