Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
one thing I’m not looking forward to in my next house is removing and patching TV mounts for people who put the TVs to drat high . already have neck issues and would like not to have it exacerbated.

these hold houses has TVs for years not
above the fireplace or wherever so I don’t understand. I could get those mounts than swing down I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Mantlemount. I installed one when we moved in and I love it. The only good spot for the TV was above the fireplace (that we've never used). With the Mantlemount it's still a touch higher than I'd prefer, but it's been a great solution.

I'll never get used to the loud creaking every time you move it up or down, though.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

one thing I’m not looking forward to in my next house is removing and patching TV mounts for people who put the TVs to drat high . already have neck issues and would like not to have it exacerbated.

these hold houses has TVs for years not
above the fireplace or wherever so I don’t understand. I could get those mounts than swing down I guess.
It's like motion smoothing. You see a TV up high on a wall with motion smoothing and you know you are in a cursed place, however nice the people there may be they have an ill fate about them.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

it’s not financially feasible but I would love a coach house or whatever for my mom.

didn't know your mom was a coach

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is coach house the term for converted garage? like carriage house for converted stables?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Vomik posted:

is coach house the term for converted garage? like carriage house for converted stables?

Coach house/carriage house are just synonyms

Apr 7, 2003

I believe people from Bad Teeth Island call them "mews houses"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1678796539970371586?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean to be perfectly honest I don't really care who controls the stock of single-family rental homes

I'm not, like, more sympathetic to artisanal independent landlords than I am to major institutional investors

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

I mean to be perfectly honest I don't really care who controls the stock of single-family rental homes

I'm not, like, more sympathetic to artisanal independent landlords than I am to major institutional investors

At least with smaller landlords you can entertain the fantasy that you'll get one who, either be being lazy or by having one tiny remaining spark of humanity, doesn't try to squeeze every last penny out of you. With corporate landlords you only know that you're hosed.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Weembles posted:

At least with smaller landlords you can entertain the fantasy that you'll get one who, either be being lazy or by having one tiny remaining spark of humanity, doesn't try to squeeze every last penny out of you. With corporate landlords you only know that you're hosed.

With a smaller landlord you might end up with a second set of parents that will make your life hell so

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I'm okay with this as long as there's only like five single-family rental homes, total

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Weembles posted:

There's a small-time landlord who owns the house in front of mine. I have permanent right-of-way over his driveway because it's our only access to the street and it connects to ours. He wanted to buy our house and we laughed at him and now he routinely tries to block us from accessing the road to the point that we had to have the cops tow his truck off of his own driveway once.

Also he steals mail and packages from his tenants.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Paradoxish posted:

There's a small-time landlord who owns the house in front of mine. I have permanent right-of-way over his driveway because it's our only access to the street and it connects to ours. He wanted to buy our house and we laughed at him and now he routinely tries to block us from accessing the road to the point that we had to have the cops tow his truck off of his own driveway once.

Also he steals mail and packages from his tenants.

But at least he doesn't employ thousands of people in a vertical hierarchy designed to wring blood from a stone from the moment you take a tour to the day the sheriffs kick you out. No mercy, no rapport...just gently caress you, pay me. The only possible benefit is that some of those thousands are dedicated solely to fixing the plumbing and AC on time, but that's highly unlikely.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1679007554150465537?s=20

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Mr president, a second air b-n-b has hit the towers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

omg just stay in a hotel !!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

I'm considering this next time

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/mikecosgrove/status/1676316896621363206

:yeshaha:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

other bidder dropped out lets gooo :cool:

Apr 7, 2003

bitmap posted:

grats on your impending lifelong debt

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

bitmap posted:

you're in my thoughts, but my prayers are saved for the number.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

euphronius posted:

During a pandemic?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

want to be entombed in a mausoleum? why wait buy today.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...uiMXhdi2LNzSrP_

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kazzah posted:

I'm okay with this as long as there's only like five single-family rental homes, total

The part that is unspoken in that story is that institutional investors are taking over not because they are buying out small time landlords, but because they are buying out owners.

Institutional investors are problematic because they can essentially handle market fluctuations in a way that families can't.

Apr 7, 2003

Also single family homes lack the uniformity that apartment buildings or build-to-rent properties have that makes for easy repairs, so there is no cost-effective way for these institutional investors to maintain all of these SFHs they're snapping up. The plan is apparently to collect rent on them until they rot into the ground.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

meanolmrcloud posted:

you’d be a ghoul to not seize this once in a lifetime opportunity

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

meanolmrcloud posted:

lmao rofl

brilliant. this is just................................

Just...

I thought those tile kits come together into a pattern, so it's kind of like puzzle pieces you put together for uniformity and something that looks like it belongs together?

Apr 7, 2003

They bought a few cheap remnant sets and slapped them together

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Also single family homes lack the uniformity that apartment buildings or build-to-rent properties have that makes for easy repairs, so there is no cost-effective way for these institutional investors to maintain all of these SFHs they're snapping up. The plan is apparently to collect rent on them until they rot into the ground.

That just means you can sell the wasted land to developers who can build even more expensive houses on it.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They bought a few cheap remnant sets and slapped them together

It's literally slapped together! It's so ugly! Who does this to themselves!!!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

meanolmrcloud posted:

it's even highway adjacent!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'm sick of knowing about this trash. People need to get their poo poo together. This is unconscionable, it makes no sense. Why would you do this to your family? Imagine trying to clean it, or heat a home with all of that stone? porcelain? ceramic.

Apr 7, 2003

I figure that example is an existing owner doing it to the poor sap who buys his house

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol do this simple debt juggling trick and you get rich!

Oh poo poo the market turned and now that debt trick is amplifying how hosed I am!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Raccooon posted:

Lol do this simple debt juggling trick and you get rich!

Oh poo poo the market turned and now that debt trick is amplifying how hosed I am!

real estate guys believe their investments should carry no risk and they should always make infinite money so its even funnier when they gently caress themselves over

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

real estate guys believe their investments should carry no risk and they should always make infinite money so its even funnier when they gently caress themselves over

The dude could have just flipped it and did that again and again while the market was fine and made good money with low risk, but decided to just load himself up with probably a bunch of loans lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

During a pandemic?

planes are worse !!

Apr 7, 2003

Crossposting for your viewing pleasure

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2628-Star-Ln-Emmett-ID-83617/126537667_zpid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King