Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

is2g i read that Tim Curry had died like 3 years ago

very happy to hear that's not the case

I kept thinking the same thing too, but I think I might have confused him with Alan Rickman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Parkingtigers posted:

True. And even more so for the bad guys. Really feels like they had no reason to start their play before getting their big macguffin machine up and running. They weren't being hunted, they weren't on the radar, and they explicitly state the capes will come for them when it all kicks off so getting themselves all ready before trying to false flag WW3 seems like it would make a lot more sense than just yoloing it and hoping the device is online by the time they need it.

Yeah, it's a bad plan. Every step of the way, it's stupid, given what we know the Skrulls can do.

There are a million of them, and they can pass totally undetected. I'm pretty sure you could make a list of no more than a thousand people to impersonate and you would have almost complete control of the world.

Take over actual heads of state, military generals and intelligence organisations and there would be no conflict because they would already have won.

Then you wouldn't need stupid "shoot down the plane" shenanigans because you would just have your secret Skrull president declare war and have your secret Skrull congress rubber stamp it and your secret Skrull generals order the troops into battle.

And if you still want more, use the time spent getting all that into motion to get the superfying machine ready and you have your plan B.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Cythereal posted:

If set leaks from the movies in production are to be believed...

We get X-Men from Deadpool and Wolverine clashing with the Time Variance Authority and loving with the timeline.

I hope not because I really don't want to feel like I have to watch Deadpool. Maybe someone can make a cut without Ryan Reynolds

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
There should be a list of appropriate/acceptable things that can happen in fiction so people don't get so mad about it. The meeting to discuss this will be secret, and you will not be invited, of course. The list will be displayed upside-down in a condemned building's bathroom with a sign saying "beware of tiger!" on the door.

It's the only way, you see. Wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea about fiction.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Cythereal posted:

We get X-Men from Deadpool and Wolverine clashing with the Time Variance Authority and loving with the timeline.

I hope this isn't the case, because aside from a tiny handful of previous portrayals, I am really hoping for a largely clean break and total reset from the FOX Singer-verse continuity. Of which I don't actually consider Deadpool quite part of.

Based on those photos, I hope this is a last, last goodbye to Jackman as Logan because by all appearances, we're getting the one thing we didn't get to see in 17 years (the yellow suit). Otherwise, he had the best farewell of any superhero in film, ever. But I'm ready for a new Wolverine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cythereal posted:

There isn't any evidence or set leaks that indicate Deadpool is introducing the X-Men to the MCU beyond the concept of Wolverine existing and his history with it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There isn't any evidence or set leaks that indicate Deadpool is introducing the X-Men to the MCU beyond the concept of Wolverine existing and his history with it.

Plus we've already had Professor X.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

live with fruit posted:

Plus we've already had Professor X.

and mutants in ms. marvel

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kumba posted:

and mutants in ms. marvel

And Naymor (though we'll see what happens with Huerta).

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they're making Matthew McFadyen be some boring OC time agent instead of Mister Sinister like he obviously should be so that probably will be the plot

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

La Louve Rouge posted:

they're making Matthew McFadyen be some boring OC time agent instead of Mister Sinister like he obviously should be so that probably will be the plot

I dunno, I think he'll be a good bureaucrat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

We already saw them in Deadpool 2

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Peters needs to make a cameo playing Quicksilver playing Ralph Bohner playing Quicksilver.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She put Extremis in her DNA!

LOL of course.

Edit: Well, Talos didn’t have Extremis like Gi’ah did. Talos looks pretty fuckin’ dead.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 12, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gonz posted:

Edit: Well, Talos didn’t have Extremis like Gi’ah did. Talos looks pretty fuckin’ dead.

The fate of all good characters in lovely shows.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, regarding the reveal in this episode:

So they're saying we're going to go back and see some of Rhodey's earlier appearances and realize he was a Skrull at that point, so they're backdating his replacement somewhat. Part of me wishes they'd go full Deadpool and say Rhodey got replaced between Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2 and everyone was just too racist to realize he wasn't the same black guy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
This is the first of any of these shows that I feel is a complete waste of anyone’s time

I don’t blame the actors, they are trying their best but this whole production is rotten

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, it has the feel of something they'd be using to build to something bigger but since we know we're in the Multiverse/Kang saga (depending on how much of an Ezra Miller-level rewrite it takes to get out from under the legal issues Jonathan Major is facing) it's pretty clear the Skrull thing is going to be mostly resolved in this so it almost feels like an entirely wasted mission. It's like they're killing off a bunch of characters in fairly meaningless ways and we're not even headed anywhere interesting with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, but there isn't any evidence that they have cast and are introducing the MCU X-Men through Deadpool 3. That would definitely be something that leaked/was announced at some point. It would be very difficult to go through the entire casting process for a half dozen people with multi-year contracts and film commitments, have them all on set, and have set photos/plot information leak from the movie that included everything except that detail.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

lolol cmon I enjoy the show but some poo poo they pull just takes you out so quickly.

Like an unknown aircraft gets within 10 miles of the presidential motorcade, ever, cmon

The rest of the scene is fine, just that dumb little detail. Just start with the trucks leaping out of the bushes and have one of them knock over the car or some poo poo.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 12, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

So, regarding the reveal in this episode:

So they're saying we're going to go back and see some of Rhodey's earlier appearances and realize he was a Skrull at that point, so they're backdating his replacement somewhat. Part of me wishes they'd go full Deadpool and say Rhodey got replaced between Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2 and everyone was just too racist to realize he wasn't the same black guy.

Retroactively making the scenes with him and Falcon less interesting, cool

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That gunfight was kinda rear end.

Two groups of dudes standing mostly in lines facing off like it's Gettysburg, mostly not using anything in the way of cover. When reinforcements arrive (being magically close enough to get there before the firefight ends, yet bafflingly not actually assigned as a security detail) they also line up the same way, no attempt made to flank/surround the Skrulls. Gravik's number 2 gets told to deal with Talos, and just by moving around a couple of metres he has a fantastic flanking shot on like a dozen UK soldiers all just standing out in the open, and instead of just hosing them all down he puts one round into Talos and moves back.

The fact this is now a third failed false flag attempt to kick off a nuclear war in 4 episodes, means I'm still wondering when they're going to make better use of the infiltration and shapeshifting paranoia over lame old-school terrorism that they're actually not that good at. One thing I can't judge yet, is if they superskrulled all the strike team, or only Gravik, because if it's the latter there are a whole bunch of Skrull corpses about to be left behind (and questions from the Skrulls why they didn't all get the bulletproof health regen skills instead of being sent out to die).

And yes, to return to a previous point, Talos did do a whole "we prove we're good immigrants so we can negotiate to stay" speech. Ick.

And on a point from last week, why the contrived drama of Fury's wife going to a safety deposit box to get a handgun. She's Nick Fury's wife. She lives in a house with Nick Fury. There's going to be plenty of guns there. Hell, Nick Fury would have armed and trained her himself because he's Nick loving Fury and people will come for him and those he cares about and he'd want to head that off.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The secret invasion comics had a lot of issues but the show should have taken notes on how to properly start off the story. Martin Freeman’s character being obviously replaced by someone who acted nothing like him and was specifically trying to protect secret skrulls did not have the same impact or mystery as Elektra being outed as a Skrull when she was killed in an event seemingly unrelated to the Skrulls.

They really should had led with this is a prior movie/show or even in the first scene of this show. There was just no hook to make this story interesting at the start.

Having just watched season 3 of the Jack Ryan show on Amazon, this feels like it is trying to be a very poor copy of it. The bigger picture doesn’t make much sense either. I have no idea how this story benefits the larger narrative of the universe.

Just a completely pointless watch.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Haha, this show loving sucks

Nick Fury driving up to a firefight, casually parking and getting out of his car
And then just walking across the line of fire with the target of the firefight
And casually getting back into his car

Lmao

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

yeah, maybe there'll be some sort of tease of it (I'd be surprised if there weren't at least one fourth-wall-breaking joke about it) but I think most of the actual setup for X-Men in the MCU proper won't be until Secret Wars at least

Saltpowered posted:

The secret invasion comics had a lot of issues but the show should have taken notes on how to properly start off the story. Martin Freeman’s character being obviously replaced by someone who acted nothing like him and was specifically trying to protect secret skrulls did not have the same impact or mystery as Elektra being outed as a Skrull when she was killed in an event seemingly unrelated to the Skrulls.

even without established MCU characters, just following some human character around before revealing they're a Skrull would have been significantly more interesting.

anyway, this episode is probably the best thus far because a bit more happens and is revealed compared to the first episode, but not by a huge margin. the action sequence at the end was absolutely lethargic in its staging

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
US president arriving in the UK at some podunk country airfield rather than Heathrow.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

kiminewt posted:

I hope not because I really don't want to feel like I have to watch Deadpool. Maybe someone can make a cut without Ryan Reynolds

sometimes i suspect this thread is bad, and other times i just know it is

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hating Ryan Reynolds is more of a lukewarm take than liking Ryan Reynolds.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Gravik should really just kill Fury one of these episodes instead of constantly being 5 feet from the guy and just walking away

America's finest, having some dude get stabbed right next to you and ignoring him as he gets shot and then rides away on a motorcycle. Although tbf on the last part they seem to have all disappeared :iiam:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

Haha, this show loving sucks

Nick Fury driving up to a firefight, casually parking and getting out of his car
And then just walking across the line of fire with the target of the firefight
And casually getting back into his car

Lmao

Get that car in the Avengers

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Parkingtigers posted:

That gunfight was kinda rear end.
Fully agree. It was so bad how it was laid out and planned.

Elendil004 posted:

Like an unknown aircraft gets within 10 miles of the presidential motorcade, ever, cmon

To add to it
You would also think the President would have more secruity than 3 SUVS with a dozen guys at best. Wikipedia says up to 40-50 vehicles, with small motorcades around 10. And I imagine secruity detail overseas is even more tight and beefed up.

About the reveall
Are we to go with Rhodey has always been a Skrull? Or that they have the 'human' Rhodey somewhere and just used it as infiltration?

Last scene
I semi get why Talos's body is there but gently caress, was that just cold of Fury to leave him behind like that. You have witnesses to the fact Talos helped save the President. You don't need to leave his body

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

koolkal posted:

America's finest, having some dude get stabbed right next to you and ignoring him as he gets shot and then rides away on a motorcycle. Although tbf on the last part they seem to have all disappeared :iiam:

Using that photo as a generic non-spoilery action shot.

love to see 5 soldiers just standing out in the open, next to the bodies of 5 soldiers who died from standing out in the open, and deciding that continuing to just stand out in the open is the best thing to do

Clearly the body armour isn't enough, so maaaaybe take cover behind that vehicle. The bulletproof one. I mean, you do you, but in my untrained civilian mind it just seems like a crazy enough idea to work.

Also my dude, you got Groot powers now, you could raise your hands and root skewer all those soldiers in one go. They're like 3 metres away from you, and somehow haven't seen you. Or, or, just use your gun. They're shooting your dudes, they might shoot you, so go hog wild.

Why even bother pretending to carry away the wounded Talos? Just shoot him/stab him on the ground, carrying him slowly away is purely for the purpose of Nick Fury going "I know it's you" when you had like 20 seconds to just murk him while Fury's putting the President in his car.

Just dogshit choreography of the entire sequence.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I actually really liked this episode. Talos and G'iah's talk did a good job of putting her between two extremes (she, and the show, rejects Talos' "good refugee" sentiment), Cheadle's doing a good job chewing scenery as a bad guy (and I hope it goes back far enough that world's smartest man didn't realize that his best friend was replaced) and I liked the final action scene. Talos' death, starting with his shoulder shot, was effective. Though that's now two fridgings for Fury now.

One nitpick: Aren't there going to be a bunch of dead Skrulls lying around?

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 12, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Digital Jedi posted:

Fully agree. It was so bad how it was laid out and planned.

To add to it
You would also think the President would have more secruity than 3 SUVS with a dozen guys at best. Wikipedia says up to 40-50 vehicles, with small motorcades around 10. And I imagine secruity detail overseas is even more tight and beefed up.

Also:
The Beast does come to the UK (where this was) so that would have been there, and yes a lot larger, this was 2 days ago: https://youtu.be/TWi4w7WBbRQ

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really liked this episode until the shoot out had to ruin it. Fury doing an exaggerated code switch when he was talking to Rhodey was hilarious. Speaking of... what happened to Rhodey, his car was part of the president's motorcade right? He just kind of vanished from the episode there. What was our foruth power? Groot, Extremis, Ice Monster

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I really liked this episode until the shoot out had to ruin it. Fury doing an exaggerated code switch when he was talking to Rhodey was hilarious. Speaking of... what happened to Rhodey, his car was part of the president's motorcade right? He just kind of vanished from the episode there. What was our foruth power? Groot, Extremis, Ice Monster

They showed him chilling so presumably the Skrull strike force knew what SUV he was in and specifically didn't kill him. And the fourth power was Thanos' giant henchman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How is this even possible

https://twitter.com/ForbesEnt/status/1678393656275873792?s=20

also the viewership numbers are in and Secret Invasion is not doing well, especially for that money

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is $200M a lot for a seven-ish hour show? Isn't that how much high end two and a half hour movies cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Where is all that money going though, it sure isn't on screen