Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uthor posted:

I see people who don't live in America not understanding the details of who popular figures are.

Though I also wouldn't have an opinion about foreign leaders without digging into those details.

If you’re enthusiastic enough to back them like that, then you can be judged by the beliefs of the people you back.

Opopanax posted:

I remember Millar throwing support behind someone awful a year or two but then he was like "whoops didnt realize they were awful" a few days later, does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about

I remember that too. I get the impression he did it to avoid blowback from backing someone awful. So he’ll probably do it here too if people get onto him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah that tracks with what little I've seen of the guy

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Opopanax posted:

I remember Millar throwing support behind someone awful a year or two but then he was like "whoops didnt realize they were awful" a few days later, does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about

I think this was sharing something from Tucker Carlson? I was kinda inclined to give the benefit of the doubt on that because Carlson's whole thing is out of context soundbites that sound reasonable and it's probably easy for a non American to assume that Fox News is a normal news station that is not particularly awful and not, what everyone associates with Fox News.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Here is Millar during 2011 London riots

Since then and considering content of his comics, I'd safely pinpoint his politics as "redfaced dumbass reacting to tv at local pub"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ah, that takes me back. A mate of mine said his girlfriend’s reaction to it made him realise he was dating Judge Dredd, they split up soon after. I remember going home through Whitechapel on the second night and the atmosphere was electric, dudes from the local kebab shops armed with machetes and wandering about in case anyone tried anything.

12 years already, goddamn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sentinel Red posted:

Ah, that takes me back. A mate of mine said his girlfriend’s reaction to it made him realise he was dating Judge Dredd, they split up soon after.

Probably just as well. We all know what happened to Bella Bagley.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

fatherboxx posted:

Here is Millar during 2011 London riots

Since then and considering content of his comics, I'd safely pinpoint his politics as "redfaced dumbass reacting to tv at local pub"

My understanding of Mark Millar's politics is that the bit in Kick rear end where Hit-Girl defines the word "Democrat" is more or less what he actually believes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Which is funny as when Red Son came out Millar claims he and his family were communist, or at least had communist leanings. It was well before then that one had learned Millar is a lying liar who tells lies. My favorite being that the movie version of Wanted was what he 'always envisioned' and acted like he was forced to put Secret Society of Supervillain stuff in there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Which is funny as when Red Son came out Millar claims he and his family were communist, or at least had communist leanings. It was well before then that one had learned Millar is a lying liar who tells lies. My favorite being that the movie version of Wanted was what he 'always envisioned' and acted like he was forced to put Secret Society of Supervillain stuff in there.
I'm sure they're the kind of Communist who are so deep red that they voted for Nixon - twice!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

I'm sure they're the kind of Communist who are so deep red that they voted for Nixon - twice!

He's Scottish so I kinda doubt anyone in his family ever voted for Nixon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dawgstar posted:

It was well before then that one had learned Millar is a lying liar who tells lies. My favorite being that the movie version of Wanted was what he 'always envisioned' and acted like he was forced to put Secret Society of Supervillain stuff in there.

Source? I met Millar on the Wanted promo tour and he said that the movie was the version he wished he'd written, but never tried to claim that he was forced to write something else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

Source? I met Millar on the Wanted promo tour and he said that the movie was the version he wished he'd written, but never tried to claim that he was forced to write something else.

I never said he did either. I said 'acted like.' Like you're the one writing, Mark. If you didn't want to put in Halle Berry as Catwoman, you didn't have to. And the supervillain bit was the only thing that made the story interesting in theory (if not execution) so praising the movie story the way he did was weird. Honestly felt a bit like he was throwing his own story under the bus.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 12, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

I never said he did either. I said 'acted like.' Like you're the one writing, Mark. If you didn't want to put in Halle Berry as Catwoman, you didn't have to. And the supervillain bit was the only thing that made the story interesting in theory (if not execution) so praising the movie story the way he did was weird. Honestly felt a bit like he was throwing his own story under the bus.

This happens with adaptations sometimes. Stephen King has said the ending of the movie The Mist is better than the ending he wrote for the short story. It's just somebody else later having a better idea for the material. It's not a mark of Millar's poor morality.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Gripweed posted:

This happens with adaptations sometimes. Stephen King has said the ending of the movie The Mist is better than the ending he wrote for the short story. It's just somebody else later having a better idea for the material. It's not a mark of Millar's poor morality.

Yeah but in thia case they dropped the whole bloody premise almost entirely.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah but in thia case they dropped the whole bloody premise almost entirely.

No the bullets still curved

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

He got paid and it is the only thing that mattered to him

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Millar: Comics broke me... into a new house!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Air Skwirl posted:

He's Scottish so I kinda doubt anyone in his family ever voted for Nixon.
Oh, I was confusing him with Miller again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dang, see ya Gripweed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

No the bullets still curved

They didn't in the comic.

Edit: Oh. Guess you'll see this in two weeks.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Been a while since I brought up anything Comicsgate-related but Nazi Van Sciver's latest Robo Frog book hasn't cracked over $400k with the previous two both breaking a million.

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1676711041756012545?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

They didn't in the comic.

Edit: Oh. Guess you'll see this in two weeks.

Then what was the loving point of the comic?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

E the Shaggy posted:

Been a while since I brought up anything Comicsgate-related but Nazi Van Sciver's latest Robo Frog book hasn't cracked over $400k with the previous two both breaking a million.

well cp is nominally allowed on twitter now so ethan will probably see an uptick in potential buyers viewing his posts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Then what was the loving point of the comic?

The final page. At least probably according to Millar who regularly thinks himself quite clever despite all evidence to the contrary.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

E the Shaggy posted:

Has he even delivered on any of his projects? People might be getting fed up with the grift.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Has he even delivered on any of his projects? People might be getting fed up with the grift.

They've been MASSIVELY late, coming out years after they were originally promised.

He started a campaign for "Reinbow Brute" which is already a few years late but is now opening up this one. I think there's very much a sense that spending $150 for like a 75 page comic isn't worth it, even if it is "OWNING THE LIBZZZZ"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

He started a campaign for "Reinbow Brute" which is already a few years late but is now opening up this one. I think there's very much a sense that spending $150 for like a 75 page comic isn't worth it, even if it is "OWNING THE LIBZZZZ"

However will Ethan survive on just under 400K? Say a prayer for him.

The comments on at least one of the BionicToad comics seemed to get progressively more irritated. Bloom might be off the rose.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

400k? I guess those stickered quarters commemorative collectible coins will be even rarer to come by now!

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wait a second...

All this time and money and Van Schiver has only gotten 2 issues done? Granted the art in that tweet is busy as gently caress but even if the entire comic is like that I'm shocked there's only 2 issues.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nyeehg posted:

Wait a second...

All this time and money and Van Schiver has only gotten 2 issues done? Granted the art in that tweet is busy as gently caress but even if the entire comic is like that I'm shocked there's only 2 issues.

People aren’t buying these things for the quality workmanship

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I know people that struggle to put out an issue every year.

(they do comics outside of their day jobs, pay for them out of pocket, and sell them at artist alleys on the weekend)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Uthor posted:

I know people that struggle to put out an issue every year.

(they do comics outside of their day jobs, pay for them out of pocket, and sell them at artist alleys on the weekend)

Yeah, Uncle Ethan is just lazy. It's a lot easier to just babble on a livestream and get people throwing money at you to read whatever they've slammed their forepaws on a keyboard to type out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, this year’s Eisner Award for Best Reality-Based Work went to Flung Out of Space, a biography of Patricia Highsmith, an early comics writer who was an open lesbian who went on to write one of the first lesbian novels with a happy ending. Just, she was a racist. And not a racist that was of the times, she was on record saying that she thought that the Holocaust didn’t go far enough. And this never is depicted in the book.

It’s extremely disappointing that the Eisners rewarded the creators.

(Also Shuna’s Journey shouldn’t have won Best International Work—Asia because while it’s a wonderful picture book it isn’t a goddamn comic and I will die on this hill)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t read the book, it’s only really on my radar because of the Eisner. Not having read it, I’m curious how your description doesn’t really accord with this review of it (and others), which implies it does deal with the racism and anti semitism.

https://www.advocate.com/exclusives/2022/3/24/patricia-highsmith-flung-out-space-graphic-novel-biography

Are there alternate reviews you’d point me to?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Jordan7hm posted:

I haven’t read the book, it’s only really on my radar because of the Eisner. Not having read it, I’m curious how your description doesn’t really accord with this review of it (and others), which implies it does deal with the racism and anti semitism.

https://www.advocate.com/exclusives/2022/3/24/patricia-highsmith-flung-out-space-graphic-novel-biography

quote:

But as important as The Price of Salt is, and as beautiful as parts of the story are, Highsmith was an equally terrible and hateful person. She was famous for her virulent anti-Semitism, racism, and sexism, and this book shows that without compromise. She was no hero, and Flung Out of Space doesn't paint her as one.

Templer agrees, adding that while Highsmith's work is significant to many, we can't ignore who she was. "Patricia Highsmith held a lot of disgusting opinions and behaved incredibly destructively at times," she says. "While her work can be appreciated, she was famously anti-Semitic, racist, and sexist, and it would be a mistake to hold her in completely uncritical high regard."

Yeah, the article and quoted creator both imply the work grapples directly with her racism. Now I'm curious about what the work depicts.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jordan7hm posted:

Not a review per se but this thread is a comics fan with a good knowledge of comics history reading through the book and commenting on it.

https://twitter.com/exalted_speed/status/1518256253830635522?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

He’s Jewish and he notes that they really tone down her bigotry and go out of their way to make her look cool.

Edit: for those who don’t want to use Twitter (understandable) one of his criticisms is that she never uses any language stronger than “Jewish” when talking about Jews. This is a lady who called the Holocaust the Semicaust because she didn’t think it killed enough Jews. It’s a major whitewashing considering the level of bigotry she espoused in her real life

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 29, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I had no idea Patricia Highsmith was that loving racist. I'm not sure I knew she was a lesbian either, but that one is a lot less surprising. I only know her from movies based on her novels and Carrol isn't one of the movies I've seen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Never heard of this woman but she sounds like she really sucks poo poo and to a somewhat lesser extent so does the writer of this bio

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

So, this year’s Eisner Award for Best Reality-Based Work went to Flung Out of Space, a biography of Patricia Highsmith, an early comics writer who was an open lesbian who went on to write one of the first lesbian novels with a happy ending. Just, she was a racist. And not a racist that was of the times, she was on record saying that she thought that the Holocaust didn’t go far enough. And this never is depicted in the book.

It’s extremely disappointing that the Eisners rewarded the creators.

(Also Shuna’s Journey shouldn’t have won Best International Work—Asia because while it’s a wonderful picture book it isn’t a goddamn comic and I will die on this hill)

What do you mean by “early comics writer”? I’ve read a few of her novels but also Devils, Lusts and Strange Desires a biography and I don’t think there’s anything mentioned. It’s been awhile but I think I’d remember that. Also, hoooly poo poo I knew she had a reputation for being kinda terrible but didn’t realize just how much of a miserable hateful pile poo poo she was til I read that. Killed any interest in reading more of her stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bulgaroctonus posted:

What do you mean by “early comics writer”? I’ve read a few of her novels but also Devils, Lusts and Strange Desires a biography and I don’t think there’s anything mentioned. It’s been awhile but I think I’d remember that. Also, hoooly poo poo I knew she had a reputation for being kinda terrible but didn’t realize just how much of a miserable hateful pile poo poo she was til I read that. Killed any interest in reading more of her stuff.

She wrote a lot of comics for hire during the 1940s. She loving hated that she made comics; she really felt like she was slumming it. To be fair, comics writers were widely looked down upon at the time