Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Honestly I’m kind of baffled at the notion Jack did anything wrong or creepy in that scene. He pretty much went along with the deliberately deceptive signals Annie was putting out.

I’m unsure if Jack has literally ever did anything questionable outside of being literally mind controlled. Dude is barely even miffed at this weird pointless manipulation.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I honestly can't think of anything, no. It just seemed odd to conflate saying Annie did deceive him in that scene with saying Jack did nothing wrong. Those are two different thoughts!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm surprised in all of this, no one mentioned the semi-bad advice Annie got in the forest after declaring (by process of elimination) Jack as her crush back home: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/comic.php?c=Annie%20in%20the%20Forest%20Part%202&p=10

Like, she was being cruel and kinda dumb like a teenager, but I also don't think she felt nothing for him either.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I read that as actually fancying Jack but also, at this point in the narrative, still processing her outlook on her idolized mum who apparently had gods dance to her tune

So she likes boy attention from the least unpleasant amongst the boys she gets to know (as a standoffish nerd who does not make friends readily) but she also wants to be cool as a cucumber more, and that's what comes first.

The Forest relentlessly encouraging scheming as basic social interaction is no help, either, of course. It's one thing to emphasize the virtue of keeping your thoughts to yourself when embedded in a tight-knit community of friends and family where there is very little real privacy - but another thing to emphasize this to someone who is already prone to self-isolation in a highly atomized culture (observe that very few characters on the Court side have siblings, even as the Forest elves overflow with them; it's a hypereducated one-child-household social strata).

It is not until after this interaction ("would you describe this friend as a happy person?") that Annie seems to rethink her outlook.

There's lots of this subtle social commentary embedded in GKC, I think; the contrast with later chapters can be stark.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 11, 2023

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Oh no, Coyote. Please don't. :geno:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3D7Y_ycSms

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
:goleft: Her entire existence as a narrative tool is to be his girlfriend, to be rescued or threatened to give him purpose and pathos.

Do we know how she feels about becoming human? What she wants in her future? Does she have friends? Does she have hobbies?

Has she existed in this comic for a single page as more than a moving prop for the narrative beats of Loup’s development?

I take back the shoujo criticism. This isn’t even self-insert main character shallow fanfiction-tier.

This is a 90s comic love interest. Lana was a robot fridge.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The logical thing would be for this to be a bit from Coyote to provoke Loup into killing him or something, but :lmao: at this point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ngl I am reading “Loup, you fool!” in the Cobra Commander voice here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mycatscrimes posted:

Also correctly observing that the story was potraying Annie doing that isn't the same as saying she owed Jack anything or that he never did anything wrong, wth.
Yeah, the story showed Annie was being deliberately lovely by implying makeouts to set up a situation to mess with Jack, and diagenetically called her to task for it. The story, and Jack, also clearly showed that what she owed him was an apology and not the implied makeouts. It's a very, very important difference.

That Tom handled a complicated setup like that so well really makes the whole Lana deal even more confusing. It's like seeing a video of a gymnast's routine linked in an article about them falling down three manholes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 12, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

coolusername posted:

:goleft: Her entire existence as a narrative tool is to be his girlfriend, to be rescued or threatened to give him purpose and pathos.

Do we know how she feels about becoming human? What she wants in her future? Does she have friends? Does she have hobbies?
She used to like reading? Now who knows.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lol, let’s kill Coyote to save Lana.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

please mean that this will all be over soon

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

coolusername posted:

Has she existed in this comic for a single page as more than a moving prop for the narrative beats of Loup’s development?

I take back the shoujo criticism. This isn’t even self-insert main character shallow fanfiction-tier.

This is a 90s comic love interest. Lana was a robot fridge.

Back before we knew Jerrek was Loup, she had a pretty fun personality lol

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That's not Coyote. This is not the same comic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
poo poo, we're reverting to denial.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ngl I am reading “Loup, you fool!” in the Cobra Commander voice here.

Goddamn it don't make me reevaluate the entire webcomic by imagining Coyote with the Starscream shriek

E: you know what, never mind, it actually works well on this page

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

Back before we knew Jerrek was Loup, she had a pretty fun personality lol

I thought she was going to be an annoyance "falling in love" with the first person she saw because that's what she thought she was supposed to do. Instead she was 100% correct to be romantically agressive because it was TRUE LOVE which is dumb and boring and kind of weird

And we still have no idea WHY Loup loves her back other than the fact she pursued him. He just does because he does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

That's not Coyote. This is not the same comic.

and you may ask yourself
why do I read this
and you may ask yourself
where are those likable characters
and you may tell yourself
this is not my beautiful god
this is not my beautiful court

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Phy posted:

Goddamn it don't make me reevaluate the entire webcomic by imagining Coyote with the Starscream shriek

That’s how I’ve always heard it. :shrug:

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

I wasn't a believer before, but now would be a perfect time for Lana to pull a goose wife.

Annnnny minute now.

Please? :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if Lana was another fabrication then Robot would have sussed her out just like he did with Jerrek, it’s not happening

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm reading this as coyote trying way too hard to sell that he's upset and didn't plan this.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm reading this as coyote trying way too hard to sell that he's upset and didn't plan this.

we just keep jumping around between the stages, i think this one is bargaining?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I mean, isn't part of the coyote stories that they always go wrong somehow, also?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
This is just the product of the unholy marriage between English sexual repression and late 90s-early 2000s anime.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm excited for Coyote to eat and devour Lana, aka Boxbot, a truly terrible robot (new human)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't know exactly how this is going to end, but I know I'm not gonna like it.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't know exactly how this is going to end, but I know I'm not gonna like it.

acceptance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oxxidation posted:

and you may ask yourself
why do I read this
and you may ask yourself
Reading the page I sigh,
Jerrek's really got me down
Reading the page I sigh,
Why are the Annies not around
Open the site again,
though the fun is gone
Throw me a lifeline,
Or run this poo poo into the ground

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Tony looks at the next couple of lines and starts hitting himself

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Oxxidation posted:

and you may ask yourself
why do I read this
and you may ask yourself

BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Gunnerkrigg Court: this is not my beautiful god. this is not my beautiful court

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Same as it never was

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’m so excited to see how dumb this gets!!! :kimchi:

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Huh. No moral, Lana just gets Straight Up Eaten.

makeofthatwhatyouwill.jpg

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

She's definitely still alive.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This is very funny.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Tom binge watching Tropes Against Women during quarantine as writing prompts.

Unless she alien's her way out if his chest all "gently caress you I'm built of blue nanofibers dumbass"

e: series of flashbacks where we learn that she deliberately engineered the alley scene fully aware she could pitch them all into the sun if required

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 14, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m so excited to see how dumb this gets!!! :kimchi:

Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Stale, tired and overused: fridging a woman.

Fresh, new, exciting: the woman used to be a fridge.