Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BiggerBoat posted:

Say what now? I was with you up until that last part there. Can you elaborate on why you think they have "no cultural influence?"

Because it could just be where I live but they seem to be culturally influencing poo poo like a motherfucker.

Obviously it's a ridiculous statement when all fifty states have police and poo poo. But you live in perhaps the second whackiest state in the union. It's not even representative of most red states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mister Fister posted:

2) Personally, i think gay people did a lot better job of making their case, rather than throwing invective, they were more than happy to debate their case and did a great job. The trans debate is far more acrimonious.
gently caress off you moron. Gay people did not get rights by asking nicely, and trans black women were a huge part of what made stonewall happen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The opressed sure are uppity these days

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
One of the main drivers of home ownership costs in Florida is due to the free market speaking. Very few insurance companies want to insure any of this poo poo that's gonna be totally underwater by 2030. Conservatives can deny climate change and sea level rise all they want but Prudential and AllState have other opinions.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

FizFashizzle posted:

The biggest factor driving the sustained success of the bud light boycott (on the right) is there is no difference, in taste or effort to obtain, between bud lite, coors lite, Miller lite etc. it’s as easy as moving their arm a foot in a direction when they go to pick up beer.

Trans rights has nothing to do with it beyond it beyond one of many potential regressive triggers.

The same thing would have happened if AB had sent a swag bag to hunter biden and advertised going “Hunter Mode.”

It's literally this + InBevs initial freakout giving the right sound bites so they could crow about the success endlessly for weeks on all channels they blast on to keep reminding people to buy something else while at the same time making a lot of LGBT+ and allies go "ew" to the response so they got hit on both sides. They're still hilariously successful and at worst for the company, InBev is gonna shuffle around how much of what gets made in what vats as the market finds its new equilibrium.

The right got lucky and capitalized on it, which is what their entire apparatus is designed to do! They throw poo poo at the wall relentlessly until something sticks and then they attack that weak point until something gives and they can re-entrench themselves somewhere else. They got lucky with judges dying/Trump winning and now we have a hell court that has been pushing an extremist agenda aggressively that is signaling to right states to just make up loving cases to throw their way to rewrite how the government works.

Its a big nothing burger and everything at the same time, the fundamental nature of the reactionary. It works and it sucks that it does!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do the people buying homes in Florida think that global warming is fake?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's probably the equivalent of buying shares in the face-eating leopards business; won't happen to me!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yes. There's a reason The Pines is like the most Republican place in the whole drat country.

Also they all they they'll be dead before it happens which, I mean, statistically

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes. There's a reason The Pines is like the most Republican place in the whole drat country.
Between there and The Villages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbsHpe7FyC8

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also they all they they'll be dead before it happens which, I mean, statistically

Are there any old fart wars brewing over Desantis v Trump? I remember the Trump parades at the Villages and the old fuckers yelling White Power from their golf carts in 2020, I wasn't sure if the old folks are still all aboard the Trump Train.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Are there any old fart wars brewing over Desantis v Trump? I remember the Trump parades at the Villages and the old fuckers yelling White Power from their golf carts in 2020, I wasn't sure if the old folks are still all aboard the Trump Train.

Trump is currently leading DeSantis by 20 points in Florida, so nah, it's a lock for Trump in spite of any fantasies about GOP battles.

Trump has that same margin among 65+, but among xers his margin over DeSantis is 26 points, lol.

eta: And among zoomers, Trump's beating DeSantis by almost 30 points.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 12, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wouldn't that be the case for Charmin toilet paper? Or that not purchasing baseball tickets and traveling to attend a baseball game is significantly less effort and cheaper than doing it?

For Charmin, I just don't think anyone cares that much about toilet paper. Unless you're into scat or something, nobody wants to know what you're wiping your rear end with or even imagine you on the can.

For baseball tickets/attending the games, the problem there is that then the would-be boycotters are depriving themselves of something they ostensibly enjoy.
Going to games can be fun, even just sitting at home and watching can be a good time.

Whereas, again, with the beer, there is literally no deprivation. There are a dozen other beers on the very same shelf that will get you just as drunk. You miss literally nothing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Isn't that the same case with shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods, Charmin, or the LA Dodgers? It seems like it would be extremely easy to not shop at Dick's, grab a different toilet paper roll, or not buy tickets to a baseball game. But, those boycotts all sort of fizzled out without any impact.

I can see why Target, Wal-Mart, or Amazon would be too ubiquitous and large to make any difference and fail, but those seem like easier ones that didn't blow up to nearly the level of the Bud Light situation.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Who was boycotting Charmin, and why? I've never even heard of it. Hell, even Google is barely giving me anything. Look at this poo poo:

That's literally page 1 of the Google results (I cropped out the auto-answer bits because they were even more useless than these results). The first result Google returns is a high school newspaper article, the second result is a CBS article saying environmentalists were boycotting it in 2019, and the third result is a fifteen-year-old page on some meganerd's personal website about boycotting Koch Industries products.

That said, I hope you can tell from this that the question "who was boycotting Charmin" is a rhetorical one, because the answer is pretty clearly "not much of anyone". There's jack poo poo for coverage on it, which suggests that the boycott campaign had little real reach in the first place.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Willa Rogers posted:

Trump is currently leading DeSantis by 20 points in Florida, so nah, it's a lock for Trump in spite of any fantasies about GOP battles.

Trump has that same margin among 65+, but among xers his margin over DeSantis is 26 points, lol.

eta: And among zoomers, Trump's beating DeSantis by almost 30 points.

Trump is leading with enbies by over 40 points!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I AM GRANDO posted:

Regardless of their beliefs in global warming, most people don't actually think that far into the future when buying a house now. Most home owners are looking at houses as slightly longer term decisions than purchasing a new car. The national average for how long people live in their home is around 13 years. Outside people buying literal beach front property, we're still more than 1 house stay away from the oceans swallowing Florida.

Also people are absolutely terrible at correcting factoring in long term risk when making decisions. California mountains have been burying houses in mudslides for longer than I've been alive, yet hill top houses are still selling at a premium. My yard would never lose structural cohesion, due to earthquake or water saturation, and send my house to the bottom of this beautiful cliff!

Edit: On the topic of why the Budlight boycott worked when almost all others failed, the answer is identity. All the other brands have consumers who use them, but not consumers who identify as consumers of the product. People go to Dick's for lots of reasons, but nobody makes going to Dick's a part of their identity.

However there is a small but noticable group of people who have Bud Light consumption as part of their identity. So when their identity is under attack by terrible woke corporations, they actually stick with a boycott. This is reinforced by the fact that BudLight drinking is a social event where people who identify as Budlight drinkers get together and virtue signal to each other through conspicuous consumption.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 12, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

koolkal posted:

Trump is leading with enbies by over 40 points!

All three of them who made up the sample, no doubt.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I'd imagine a significant number of home sales are to large institutions that will expect the government to reimburse them for their losses. Similar to banks giving out bad loans prior to the great recession.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Aquaman knows a good investment when he sees it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Wouldn't that be the case for Charmin toilet paper? Or that not purchasing baseball tickets and traveling to attend a baseball game is significantly less effort and cheaper than doing it?

I think it's a social thing, and beer is more amenable to peer pressure. Nobody knows what kind of toilet paper you buy without you telling them or them poking around your bathroom. People notice what others are drinking, and I'll be willing to bet that fear of someone saying "Bud Light? What are you, queer?" drives sales down.

Mister Fister posted:

Well, i'm not that old to remember stonewall, i just remember the my time as a student who fought for gay rights the amount of acrimony surrounding gay marriage, until it was finally passed. It was far far less than the trans rights movement because even lots of normies thought it was dumb that gay marriage wasn't allowed. The trans rights movement is quite a bit different than the gay rights movement because there's friction even within feminists and the gay community over certain aspects of the trans rights movement that people on the left are uncomfortable talking about (but it's there).

What i'm implying about point number 3 is that social media is a bigger part of our lives than the mid to late aughts and that's going to have an effect at amplifying negative discourse.

You should read a bit more about LGBT history, because it sounds like you grew up after Stonewall, White Night, Act Up, etc. etc. when a lot of the early fighting for acceptance was done. Reading about what happened before your time might change your opinion. The stance you're taking is pretty ignorant.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Willa Rogers posted:

It's going to come to a shock, but in a country of 330 million people a lot of them have stupid opinions. :ssh:

I meant that the story didn't include some organized boycott as we've seen with Target & AB, just some idiots tweeting. Nor were there any links to affected sales, unsurprisingly.
it was a pretty straightforward question you're not answering

just want to note that you went from "who said anything about boycotts????' to "there's no evidence of an organized plot..."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mister Fister posted:

2) Personally, i think gay people did a lot better job of making their case, rather than throwing invective, they were more than happy to debate their case and did a great job. The trans debate is far more acrimonious.

To add some content here, you're also factually wrong here, as there's tons of information available to contradict you, specifically how confrontational ACT UP was during the height of AIDS, and the fact that stonewall was literally a riot and a trans person threw the first brick at the cops.

But also, in addition to the factual content of this post, gently caress you, you earn this acrimony

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

I AM GRANDO posted:

They're just keeping the old swamp real estate joke alive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Consider me informed:

quote:

The most recent survey shows the percentage of Florida Republicans who believe climate change is real has doubled to 88% since 2019.

In 2019, the number of Florida Republicans who believed climate change was real was 44%.

As a whole, Floridians also surpass the national belief that global warming is real by 20%.

About 92% of Floridians believe in climate change, while the number of people who believe in climate change nationwide is 72%.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/environment/2021-12-08/belief-in-climate-change-is-growing-among-florida-republicans-an-fau-survey-shows

Honestly kind of shocked it's above 50%. Not too terribly long ago, Rush Limbaugh and the gang were calling it bs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tuberville takes one step forward and two steps back on "clarifying" his comments about white nationalism.

It kind of seems like Tuberville's goal is to be as confusing and contradictory as possible to avoid both apologizing or overtly endorsing white supremacy. But, there is a very good chance that he is just extremely dumb and confused himself.

It's very likely both. White supremacists are famously often dumb as gently caress but literally their entire ideology is deliberately incoherent, contradictory and made to provide a patina on hatred and entitlement. They act confused and worried to deflect anger, and get credulous fence-sitters and decorumites to come to their defence and give them the benefit of the doubt, and then go back to spewing the same hatred the moment they think they can get away with it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's very likely both. White supremacists are famously often dumb as gently caress but literally their entire ideology is deliberately incoherent, contradictory and made to provide a patina on hatred and entitlement. They act confused and worried to deflect anger, and get credulous fence-sitters and decorumites to come to their defence and give them the benefit of the doubt, and then go back to spewing the same hatred the moment they think they can get away with it.

The stuff about fascist rhetoric and ideology being deliberately incoherent is true, but in Tuberville’s case I think he’s just really stupid. I get the sense he started throwing around a term he’s heard his staffers, handlers, RWM, whoever use and when he got asked about it didn’t know what the gently caress to say. Then he gets cornered and says ludicrous poo poo like “white nationalists aren’t racist” while he’s desperately looking for an exit.

I don’t know how much to make of him being a former college football coach (I already do it a lot), and I know at least a few folks in here know nothing about CFB, but once you’ve been a head coach of a major college program (Tuberville was for three different ones) you’re basically set for life. If you lose too many games and get fired, your contract almost certainly has a buyout and you get paid for the years you don’t coach, and some other school will inevitably hire you when they fire their coach ‘cause hey, you’ve got a recognizable name and experience! All that to say, I have no clue why Tuberville chose to pursue a Senatorship. He sure doesn’t act like a true-believing demagogue. Grift? Again, being a bad CFB coach is loving easy street. Which further points me in the direction of “he’s a total dumbass.”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Darko posted:

Barber shops often have set clientele already and get a lot of referral based business. Pandering with or agreeing to a certain type of client probably won't really hurt your business. Plus they are EXTREMELY local-based in most instances.

There's also the issue that hair places have a very long history of being segregated by both gender and race to the point where it's still considered very normal to do so. The vast majority of places still price "men's" and "women's" haircuts differently and I can only think of one place near me that has explicitly gone to gender neutral pricing.

This was extremely annoying when I had long hair and a beard but couldn't find a single person to style and groom both.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

Consider me informed:

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/environment/2021-12-08/belief-in-climate-change-is-growing-among-florida-republicans-an-fau-survey-shows

Honestly kind of shocked it's above 50%. Not too terribly long ago, Rush Limbaugh and the gang were calling it bs.

Is this encouraging evidence that once your city starts flooding constantly then reality can pierce the petro-regressive propaganda bubble a little?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is this encouraging evidence that once your city starts flooding constantly then reality can pierce the petro-regressive propaganda bubble a little?

No, not really. I was just surprised the % of republicans conceding that climate change is real is that high.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tuberville does just seem really dumb. Like most of his equally bigoted piece of poo poo peers in the GOP are much better at managing the messaging, but Tuberville gets himself stuck arguing himself into a hole in the most idiot way possible because he can't think his way around this poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

No, not really. I was just surprised the % of republicans conceding that climate change is real is that high.

A lot will probably flat out say it's real and only Trump can solve it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's too implausible to say that climate change doesn't exist when we're already +1.1C, so they've mostly shifted to "it's not that big of a deal." I've even seen "it's good, actually."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not particularly because for a lot of them their argument shifts from "Climate change isn't real" to "Climate change is real but it's a natural process, not man-made".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Or if it is man-made it's too late to do anything about it, so don't bother.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

All three of them who made up the sample, no doubt.

That's the weighted frequency - unweighted says 8. Looks like they got 1 Ramaswamy, 2 DeSantis, 5 Trump, and the percentages got a little rejiggered from the weighting.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chemtrailologist posted:

I'd imagine a significant number of home sales are to large institutions that will expect the government to reimburse them for their losses. Similar to banks giving out bad loans prior to the great recession.

Bold of you to assume that individual home owners don't expect the government to bail them out when the home they got in an uninsurable area gets (shock!) destroyed by a disaster.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New CPI Inflation/Wage report out today looks surprisingly good.

- Gas and energy prices (the previous biggest sector driving inflation) have mostly settled.
- Rent (one of the biggest current drivers of inflation) has finally decreased a small amount instead of rising.
- Food prices (one of the areas that has consistently risen faster than average) rose only 0.1%. They still remain fairly elevated, but have started to see real price drops for the median American for the first time in 1.5 years.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1679108178821148674
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1679110659399614465
https://twitter.com/jeannasmialek/status/1679108069421113345

quote:

Inflation data released on Wednesday showed a pronounced cooling and offered some of the most hopeful news since the Federal Reserve began trying to tame rapid price increases 16 months ago.

The Consumer Price Index climbed 3 percent in the year through June, less than the 4 percent increase in the year through May and just a third of its roughly 9 percent peak last summer.

Consumer prices rose 3 percent in the year through June, another decline in the pace of inflation. The deceleration in closely watched “core” inflation was also notable.

Rent increases continued to slow last month, good news both for tenants and for policymakers at the Federal Reserve.

Rents rose 0.5 percent on average in June, and were up 8.3 percent from a year earlier. That was down from a peak of 8.8 percent growth last spring, and the slowest rate of increase since late last year.

Airfares took another dive last month, following a wild ride over the past year, reflecting volatile energy prices and swings in demand.

Prices have dropped 18.9 percent in the year through June, or 8.1 percent between May and June, even as passenger traffic has reached record highs. The numbers are somewhat deceptive, however, because of a combination of circumstances.

Even after the better-than-expected inflation data, investors expect the Fed to follow through and increase interest rates by another quarter-point later this month. The numbers in the report are a welcome sign that inflation is slowing, but it remains higher than the central bank would like.

However, investors have dialed back their expectations of another rate increase later this year, and increased the likelihood of a cut to interest rates in the first half of 2024. That’s helping lift stock prices and weaken the dollar.

“All things considered this is very good news on the inflation front,” said Kathy Jones, chief fixed income strategist at Schwab Center for Financial Research. It’s unlikely to be enough to stop the Fed from increasing interest rates later this month, she said, though markets have dialed back their expectation of a second rate increase later this year.

“It’s a really good number overall. You can’t find a hole in it. We might not get a repeat of this every month but it’s moving in the right direction, whatever you look at,” Jones said.

The rapid rise in food prices that has bedeviled consumers for more than a year continued to moderate in June, with costs for products like eggs, meats and milk falling.

Overall, the cost of food climbed 0.1 percent in June from the prior month, a slight slowdown after rising 0.2 percent in May and remaining flat the two months before.

Grocery prices remained flat in June, down from 0.1 percent in May. The cost of eating at restaurants continued to rise, albeit more slowly, picking up 0.4 percent over the month. That was down from 0.5 percent in May.

Food inflation has started to cool in recent months, bringing relief to consumers that have struggled to afford their grocery bills. Still, although prices are not rising as quickly as they were, the cost of food remains stubbornly high. In the year through June, food prices rose 5.7 percent, down from 6.7 percent in the year through May.

Prices for fruits and vegetables increased 0.8 percent in June, cooling from a 1.3 percent increase in May. A gauge of costs for meats, poultry, fish and eggs decreased 0.4 percent in June.

Egg prices continued to fall after an outbreak of bird flu and other factors led to a spike in prices earlier this year. In June, egg prices fell 7.3 percent from the prior month, slightly down from a big 13.8 percent decline in May.

Various factors have contributed to the moderation in food price pressures. Supply shocks have abated and the costs for ingredients and other raw materials have fallen in recent months. Labor costs have also eased and lower fuel prices have helped bring down transportation costs.

David Ortega, a food economist at Michigan State University, said he expected the recent slowdown in food inflation to continue in the next few months. Shoppers are starting to notice that certain products have become cheaper or are not swelling in price as much as they were in previous months, he said.

Mr. Ortega noted that price increases for packaged products and processed foods have been slower to come down compared with many fresh food items. Packaged products, such as condiments and canned goods, have more complex supply chains, meaning that the cost of ingredients represents a smaller share of the overall prices that consumers pay.

Prices for processed fruits and vegetables have risen 8.8 percent over the past year, while prices for fresh fruits and vegetables have increased 1.1 percent.

Although prices of groceries are starting to return to a more normal level, that might not provide much comfort to consumers who have been frustrated with the abnormally large jump in prices compared to a year ago.

“People shouldn’t expect that prices will be back to what they were before Covid,” Mr. Ortega said. “But we have seen a significant departure from normal with regard to food price increases.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, related to the earlier Florida talk:

Farmer's insurance announced today that it will pull out of Florida entirely. They were a relatively small portion of the insurance market there, but due to their small size and the ever increasing amount of payouts they had to do for hurricane related damages to cars and homes, they pulled out of the state entirely rather than remain unable to compete on premiums and also taking the risk of getting wiped out if there were several major hurricanes in a year.

quote:

Farmers Insurance pulls out of Florida, affecting 100,000 policyholders

Farmers Insurance will stop offering its policies in Florida, including home, auto and umbrella policies, in a change that will force thousands of people to change their insurance provider.

The company said in a statement that its decision to get out of Florida was a business decision necessary to manage its risk exposure in the hurricane-prone state. Farmers serves 100,000 customers in Florida but said there will be no impact to customers who use Farmers’ owned subsidiaries like Foremost Signature and Bristol West.

“Such policies will continue to be available to serve the insurance needs of Floridians,” Farmers Insurance spokesperson Trevor Chapman said in a statement. “Affected customers will receive notifications detailing when their coverage will end and will be advised of options for replacement coverage.”

National insurers don’t have a major presence in Florida, including Farmers, which has barely a 2% share of the state’s insurance market. Florida requires affected policyholders to receive a 120-day notice that their policies aren’t being renewed.

“Over the past 18 months in Florida, 15 home insurers have placed moratoriums on writing new business, four carriers have announced plans to voluntarily withdraw from the market and seven companies have been declared insolvent,” Mark Friedlander, a spokesperson for Insurance Information Institute, told CNN. “Currently, there are 18 Florida residential insurers on the state regulator’s watch list due to concerns over their financial health.”

In addition to extreme weather, Florida insurers point to a legal system it says promoted litigation abuse and excess claims.

“This is a man-made crisis,” Friedlander previously told CNN.

The insurance industry pushed for and won a number of reforms meant to curb what it saw as abuse, but so far it hasn’t changed the outlook for insurers, partly because of a flood of nearly 300,000 lawsuits the Insurance Information Institute said was filed just before the law took effect.

“That will muddy the marketplace for years to come,” said Friedlander. “That volume of lawsuits will drive more of these regional companies out of business. The laws have changed. The market conditions have not changed. It’s still a mess.”

Florida’s location and low elevation makes It particularly susceptible to hurricane damage. The Atlantic hurricane season is projected to be normal this year, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, with a 30% chance of an above normal season, and a 30% chance of fewer hurricanes than normal.

Last year was a bad year. Hurricane Ian in late September caused $114 billion in inflation-adjusted damage, according to NOAA, making it the most expensive storm to ever hit the state, and the third most expensive in US history after 2005’s Katrina and 2017’s Harvey.

Earlier this week, Farmers limited new homeowners insurance policies in California because of high costs and wildfire risks. State Farm and Allstate also made similar changes in that state.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/business/farmers-insurance-florida/index.html

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wonder how Desantis is going to pitch the expansion of their means-tested public insurance program

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wonder how Desantis is going to pitch the expansion of their means-tested public insurance program

By "means-tested" you mean that the state will only insure homes worth more than $1mm right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Also, related to the earlier Florida talk:

Farmer's insurance announced today that it will pull out of Florida entirely. They were a relatively small portion of the insurance market there, but due to their small size and the ever increasing amount of payouts they had to do for hurricane related damages to cars and homes, they pulled out of the state entirely rather than remain unable to compete on premiums and also taking the risk of getting wiped out if there were several major hurricanes in a year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/business/farmers-insurance-florida/index.html

We are Farmers! Done, donedonedone done done done (in Florida)