Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DEI is when there's a black person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DEI bart, DEI

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

DEI is when there's a black person.

That's not true, DEI is also when you have to talk about a black person, too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
this thread is currently participating in DEI.

beware

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dick, every inch.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

daring enchilada instructional

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

She wasn’t just a UT professor but an Aggie who was excited to come back. Lol the real rivalry is how each school can embarrass itself the most. A&M is truly tops in that regard.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ProductOfLabor/status/1678802350977187842

mr. biden please, my name is taeyelor and i am an eight year old from round rock texas. we have only had two leaders in the last 22 years and the current leader will be entrenched forever. please send b2 stealth bomber

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
lol the tweet wasn’t loading for me earlier so it left me guessing why the offer was watered down. Like was the professor gonna report on it or talk about it in a class? But now it’s INCREDIBLY obvious now that the image loaded.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

property tax press conference in the house about to begin

https://house.texas.gov/video-audio/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

property tax press conference in the house about to begin

https://house.texas.gov/video-audio/

No sir

The press conference on "why aren't we putting teacher salaries/gun control/all kinds of poo poo that won't pass in our bill"
https://twitter.com/Ramos4Texas/status/1678882315420696576

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

The press conference on "why aren't we putting teacher salaries/gun control/all kinds of poo poo that won't pass in our bill"
https://twitter.com/Ramos4Texas/status/1678882315420696576
your sentence and the tweet seem contradictory

anyway nobody showed up and the stream just ended

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

well I mean it's about "property taxes" but no one gives a poo poo about another DOA Dem proposal, I thought it was an actual PC on property taxes with leadership. You know, substantial.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Gonna be honest, nothing makes me feel more like a Dumb Guy who knows nothing than when you guys are discussing property tax

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Gonna be honest, nothing makes me feel more like a Dumb Guy who knows nothing than when you guys are discussing property tax

I simply don’t own property so I can safely say the tax should be higher and not worry about it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Property tax is a regressive tax and should be abolished in favor of a wealth tax

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Erg posted:

I simply don’t own property so I can safely say the tax should be higher and not worry about it

I do this too so don't worry

jokes posted:

Property tax is a regressive tax and should be abolished in favor of a wealth tax
:thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I own property, which is how I know that property taxes are strangling our small businesses and humble, aged homeowners.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If everyone wants to feel dumb we can talk school finance

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I said it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

wonder what property tax raise it would take to get free breakfasts and lunches in schools

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Erg posted:

Sure, but when property taxes increase, rents increase _more_

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I have a perfect understanding of property tax and school finance actually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I have a perfect understanding of property tax and school finance actually

Great, can you help me distinguish between tier 1 and tier 2 enrichment pennies and how that interacts with recapture

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the golden penny badger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*snickering* he doesn't know

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sales tax is the regressive one. Wealth taxes have had plenty theorized, but the ones implemented haven't really been very successful in the places they've been introduced.

If you're going by the idea that property owners will just increase rent proportionately to the tax, that logic goes for literally any tax on the wealthy. There are controls that the government can use to try to prevent rising rents if it was genuinely concerned, but it's all irrelevant because the Texas state government hates and the reason Abbot is trying to go after property tax is because it's the one that the wealthy land owners he's pandering to are concerned with.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I thought we eliminated penny discourse

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sales tax is the regressive one. Wealth taxes have had plenty theorized, but the ones implemented haven't really been very successful in the places they've been introduced.

If you're going by the idea that property owners will just increase rent proportionately to the tax, that logic goes for literally any tax on the wealthy. There are controls that the government can use to try to prevent rising rents if it was genuinely concerned, but it's all irrelevant because the Texas state government hates and the reason Abbot is trying to go after property tax is because it's the one that the wealthy land owners he's pandering to are concerned with.

The joke is that property tax is a wealth tax

Also regressive tax discourse is so dumb in Europe they pay for their progressive welfare states with VAT taxes and it’s fine, you have to account for the progressivity of what the tax gets spent on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

The joke is that property tax is a wealth tax

Also regressive tax discourse is so dumb in Europe they pay for their progressive welfare states with VAT taxes and it’s fine, you have to account for the progressivity of what the tax gets spent on

Property tax cuts, naturally.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sales tax and property tax is regressive. Each of those produce significantly less tax revenue as a function of the taxpayers' wealth as they make more money despite the fact that a rich person tends to generate more sales/property tax revenue than a poor person.

The rate at which a person's wealth increases does not match the rate at which they expose themselves to property taxes. An income tax is better, but the way income tax is implemented in the US tends to not be nearly as progressive as it should. A wealth tax would be far more progressive and obviously has a zero% chance of ever becoming a thing.

Not that any of this matters, property taxes are considered a progressive tax for the exact same reasons that a sales tax is considered progressive: it's not, it's disingenuous, and the facts and figures can be pointed at to say "see? A rich guy paid more in taxes than a poor person!". Which is why Abbot really wants to provide property tax relief: it benefits wealthy people, and he can pretend it helps normal people.

e: If a republican ever wants a thing, it's probably for a bad reason

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2023

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So true we should fund the government by taxing the 30 companies that emit 70% of carbon emissions

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listening to the hearing on the prop tax bill and this "circuit breaker" thing is literally just a 20% appraisal cap on real property under $5m valuation. They just used the wrong word for it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Listening to the hearing on the prop tax bill and this "circuit breaker" thing is literally just a 20% appraisal cap on real property under $5m valuation. They just used the wrong word for it.

during house testimony yesterday they were adamant that a circuit breaker is not a cap (:ssh: it just triggers a cap)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jokes posted:

Not that any of this matters, property taxes are considered a progressive tax for the exact same reasons that a sales tax is considered progressive: it's not, it's disingenuous, and the facts and figures can be pointed at to say "see? A rich guy paid more in taxes than a poor person!". Which is why Abbot really wants to provide property tax relief: it benefits wealthy people, and he can pretend it helps normal people.

e: If a republican ever wants a thing, it's probably for a bad reason
if property taxes are regressive, why does lowering them benefit the wealthy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a cap!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no cap no cap

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

if property taxes are regressive, why does lowering them benefit the wealthy