Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Marching Powder posted:

Still thinking about MMA punching in a boxing match. I think it's uncontroversial to say that conor could punch a guy hard. In that fight with Floyd he hit him once clean with a real nice uppercut and Floyd didn't even blink. I think boxing is just different.

Obviously are way fewer avenues of attacking an opponent in boxing so boxers who have spent much more of their lives training within that space will, all else equal, generate more power and have better defense just due to muscle memory unlike mma fighters who cross over and whose muscle memory is geared toward boxing but having to be cognizant of being taken down/kicked/elbowed at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ngannou has used the boxing style of gloves before back in 2015 when he did a kickboxing match. its not the same but at least there's somewhat footage of him using his striking in a "striking only" context and he at lest did start off as a boxer when he got to france before being convinced to move to mma (think the person said he'd make more money quicker or something which idk if that's true or misremembering the story a bit)

https://twitter.com/Beyond_Kick/status/1678874477294149637

edit - yeah the story was the coach at the gym in france thought he'd be better fit for mma for some reason

wikipedia posted:

At age 22, Ngannou began training in boxing, despite the initial reluctance of his family.[20] After training for a year, Ngannou stopped training due to an illness.[21] He did various odd jobs to make ends meet, until age 26 when he decided to head to Paris, France, to pursue professional boxing.[22] However upon reaching Europe, he was jailed for two months in Spain for illegally crossing the border.[23] After Ngannou reached Paris, he had no money, no friends, and no place to live.[17] After living homeless on the streets of Paris, he met Francis Carmont who introduced him to Fernand Lopez and the MMA factory.[24] Being a fan of Mike Tyson, Ngannou was originally interested in learning how to box but Lopez saw his potential in MMA and convinced him to try MMA instead.[22] Lopez gave Ngannou some MMA gear and allowed him to train and sleep at the gym for no cost thus starting Ngannou's MMA career.[22]

Reflecting on his journey across continents and his decision to become an MMA fighter, Ngannou said:[17][22]

When I started, I had nothing. Nothing. I needed everything. But when you start [to earn money], you starting collecting things: I want this, I want this, I want that. The purpose is not collecting things, though. The purpose is to do something great. Finish the dream you started.

I want to help my family, first, of course, but then I want to give opportunity to children in my country like me who have a dream to become a doctor or something. If I reach my dream, it will give me the opportunity to help those in my country who have their own dreams and nothing else to fulfill them.

I want to give some opportunity for children like me who dream of this sport and don't have an opportunity like me. The last time I was in Cameroon, I brought a lot of materials for boxing and MMA to open a gym. Now I just bought a big space to start the gym, as well.

A lot of children now in Cameroon, because of me, they have a dream. They say, 'I will be a champion in MMA. I will do boxing like Francis,' because they saw me when I was young. I didn't have anything. I didn't have any opportunity. And today, they see me, and they are dreaming. They are thinking that something is possible. Even when they are so poor, something is possible in life. … It's not easy. It's so hard, but it's possible.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if francis ever jon jones's i'm going to be so mad. he's one of my favorite people in this sport.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

Still thinking about MMA punching in a boxing match. I think it's uncontroversial to say that conor could punch a guy hard. In that fight with Floyd he hit him once clean with a real nice uppercut and Floyd didn't even blink. I think boxing is just different.

While McGregor can knock out people for sure, he doesn’t and has never has the power to send 250lbs men flying from a punch to their head. I don’t think they’re quite comparable.

I do agree, though, that boxing is different. The larger gloves mean hits aren’t as clean and they’re padded more. I just don’t think comparing McGregor to Ngannou is proper.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I was about to say I was only drawing the comparison because the only sample of mma champ VS boxing champ we have is that, but honestly fury and Floyd and conor / Francis is not too bad of a comparison in my view. Just they're double the size.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Conor was clearly pacing himself, and while that punch landed really well, it wasn't anywhere close to being thrown with KO intent. He adopted the pace to look good in terms of rounds lasted. I don't think Ngannou will have that concern about his reputation/ legacy here.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I remember dudes telling me that McGregor started off training in boxing and had amateur boxing experience

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Conor was clearly pacing himself, and while that punch landed really well, it wasn't anywhere close to being thrown with KO intent.

fair comment, but if i hit someone clean throwing at 75% and they didn't blink i'd consider discontinuing the fight if i was also down on points.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

fair comment, but if i hit someone clean throwing at 75% and they didn't blink i'd consider discontinuing the fight if i was also down on points.

Reminds me of Luke Rockhold just giving up after Mike Perry shattered some of his teeth in their bare knuckle match.

I don’t watch standard boxing enough to know how often someone just says “nah, I’m done” like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t watch standard boxing enough to know how often someone just says “nah, I’m done” like that.

i've literally never seen it because quitting is considered cowardly and that's worse than getting knocked out for a fighter. i have just reached the age where i could give a gently caress about that lol

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Marching Powder posted:

i've literally never seen it because quitting is considered cowardly and that's worse than getting knocked out for a fighter. i have just reached the age where i could give a gently caress about that lol

There's spots where a fighter will just go down after getting hit and stay on a knee or otherwise not get up, no? I at least see it in Muay Thai decently often, does that not happen in regular boxing? But yeah not quite how Rockhold did it.

Although this recent thing also comes to mind. https://twitter.com/GLORY_WS/status/1670138223903768579

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

There's spots where a fighter will just go down after getting hit and stay on a knee or otherwise not get up, no? I at least see it in Muay Thai decently often, does that not happen in regular boxing? But yeah not quite how Rockhold did it.

Although this recent thing also comes to mind. https://twitter.com/GLORY_WS/status/1670138223903768579

'after getting hit' is fine. after hitting a guy, seeing it do nothing and just going 'done' is a little different lol

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

'after getting hit' is fine. after hitting a guy, seeing it do nothing and just going 'done' is a little different lol

golata doing it against tyson is still the usual callback

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Roberto Duran famously quit during Duran/Leonard II

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

Roberto Duran famously quit during Duran/Leonard II

Wasn't he getting beat the gently caress up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The weirdest one I can think of was Oliver McCall’s breakdown against Lewis:

https://youtu.be/hG5e-yec0b8

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

The weirdest one I can think of was Oliver McCall’s breakdown against Lewis:

https://youtu.be/hG5e-yec0b8

for real but that was clearly a mental health episode. i can't imagine the whiplash of beating a monstrous opponent, knowing it was lucky, and then agreeing to fight him again only he now wants to humiliate you. not saying that's what caused it, but it couldn't have helped.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Marching Powder posted:

Wasn't he getting beat the gently caress up?

Duran was definitely getting outworked, but he was in there, throwing punches and fighting until he suddenly waved it off. It was a very weird thing. Obviously, he had not prepared properly and was running out of gas, but he wasn't in complete survival mode. It was especially weird seeing as he was so well known for his heart and fighting spirit.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Freudian slippers posted:

Duran was definitely getting outworked, but he was in there, throwing punches and fighting until he suddenly waved it off. It was a very weird thing. Obviously, he had not prepared properly and was running out of gas, but he wasn't in complete survival mode. It was especially weird seeing as he was so well known for his heart and fighting spirit.

Duran had beaten Leonard in the first fight, in part because he baited Leonard into a more aggressive style. Leonard admitted as such. In the rematch, Leonard was keeping more distance and clowning Duran, not to the point of embarrassment, but baiting him into being reckless. Duran partly quit because he thought it was complete bullshit and knew that there was no way he was landing enough to get a knockout, and the crowd was eating up the showmanship.

Back to Fury-Ngannou...um...well...I doubt I'll pay for it. There is no advantage for Ngonnou, other than random angle novelty. I'm referencing the idea that there is so little data on how he will set up boxing style punches, that he catches Fury unaware.
I highly doubt that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm not shocked at this point but the Kambosos-Hughes fight tonight, holy gently caress, robbery on a level that actually made me laugh my rear end off in front of my TV

117-111 just lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Good soup! posted:

Kambosos-Hughes fight

was that the one on espn earlier ?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Good soup! posted:

I'm not shocked at this point but the Kambosos-Hughes fight tonight, holy gently caress, robbery on a level that actually made me laugh my rear end off in front of my TV

117-111 just lmao

yeah it was absolutely egregious, how the gently caress can that be justified

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inoue vs fulton tonight

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Well I guess one good thing about having a toddler and an infant is that I'm up early enough to watch these fights live lol

Not looking good for Fulton

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Uh oh!!!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inoue is so good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao he did it again, this guy is nuts

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
He's the easy pound for pound number 1 no matter what happens on Saturday between Crawford and Spence

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That was great stuff. It was never in doubt

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mekchu posted:

inoue is so good

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

He's the easy pound for pound number 1 no matter what happens on Saturday between Crawford and Spence

agreed. i hope he gets a big payday before his time in the ring is up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Inoue is the loving man

Pandar
Oct 23, 2008
Wow, Inoue made that look easy. He just needs to learn some broken English and he'll become a major global star.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Inoue started at junior flyweight, is currently at 122, and unless his body just completely cannot handle the weight, I don't see anyone giving him a challenge until/if he moves up to 135. He's essentially Manny Pacquiao at this point.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I honestly thought Fulton would give him a real challenge. Just glad I didn't put money on that lol.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The big fight down the road for Inoue is probably against Tank. Would take a lot but that's what I see other than just moving up until he can't anymore.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mekchu posted:

inoue is so good

it's bonkers

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

just caught up. if bud blows spence out i'll hear an argument for him since he's also come up in weight but whoever said inoue is manny pacquiao now pretty much summed it up for me.

inoue is easily the scariest dude in boxing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Get those Crawford - Spence predictions on record everyone

Terence Crawford by Unanimous Decision

I truly believe, and always have believed that Crawford is better at everything other than size than Spence and I think he could stop him but given the mutual rematch clause and little bit of mutual stage fright considering how big this fight is for both, I think both will be a bit more cautious this first time.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Spence KO 10